Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Fact, I've called myself worse😆 I have to mind it now till next year's captains day😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Played the mid-week competition on Tuesday, shot 41 (18/23) points off 19. Was one of the last groups out so taught I was in with a good chance of winning. Found out when I got home I was beaten by 3 shots by a 38 HC player who had 44 points. I now know how the lower HC players feel when they have a great round to be beaten by a higher HC player like myself.

Week before, also shot 41 points in the same competition to win it by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

2 nice rounds of golf in my home club at the weekend.

Saturday was medal day. Started great, Par, Birdie. 3rd hole, index 1, 1st shot OOB, 2nd came to rest at the back of a tree root. Had to hit it out backwards, left with 230 yards playing my 5th shot. Took me 4 to get down from there, so a quadruple. Followed the quad up with a birdie then on 4 to sandwich the 8. Played steady from there on in. Finished with 82 strokes, net 72, with the 8 getting adjusted down to a 7 for handicap purposes for an under par round.

Following day was a 3 man team event. Had my first sub 80 round of the year, shooting a 78. Much more steady round, 6 bogeys, 12 pars.

Unfortunately, for the second time in the last 4 weeks, good scores have been registered in 3 man team events where I played standard qualifying conditions but couldn't submit the round.

Hopefully can put a couple more in like that while I have a bit of form and give the handicap record a bit of a cushion

39pts today off back Tees in presidents qualifier. Driving was great all the way around only one bad duck hook that went on on the 7th. Approach play was hit and miss some great shots that gave me a good look at birdies putting had 3, 3 putts so round could have been much better

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Slowly starting to come back around last week.

31 points in Blessington Lakes Tuesday.

35 points Powerscourt West Wednesday

39 points Powerscourt East Friday. Almost had a hole in one on #3 as well, came up just short.

Feels like I finally have the constant hosel rockets with my irons under control and driver is my best friend at the moment, little baby cut which would bring a tear to the eye. Corballis tomorrow morning and delighted that it looks like I will be able to play it with just the one layer on. Then Powerscourt again on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Captains day on Sunday and was great to play in such nice weather. Although we had a strong wind which wasn't forecast.

Started well with a birdie, but short sided myself behind a bunker on the second and took a double. In my head i was chasing a score from there even though i was level to my handicap after 2. Speed of the greens caught me out on the 2nd hole. Putting green was way slower compared to them.

Struggled along in the round and not much else happened really. Missing fairways all day and never really threatened the hole with any putts.

80 off 7

1 Birdie

8 Pars

8 bogeys

1 double

2/14 FIR 5/18 GIR 33 putts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

As is to be expected all the good work I thought I had done last week was swiftly undone. Couldn't hit an iron straight to save myself and limped to a flattering 26 points in Corballis yesterday. Was annoyed when I got there to be told it was non-qualifying but with that kind of score I was pretty happy about it by the end of the round.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

34/35/37 points in my last 3 rounds in Ring of Kerry, which i've been quite happy with. After some really bad golf, i've started to be more consistent lately, and i can see a good score coming soon once things click. 34 points in Druid's Glen on Saturday as well, in amazing conditions, which was good considering my driving was a bit all over the place. Irons and wedges got me out of trouble, and kept me scoring pretty well.

Enjoying my golf at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

37 points in tullamore off the back tees on my first time playing the course. 3 silly scratches down to bad putting. Overall pretty happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Finally had a breakthrough round I felt was on the verge of for a while now. 43(23/20) points off 16. I wouldn't say everything clicked, a few standard pars but a lot of scrambled pars and bogeys. Just managed not to make more than one mistake on any hole which is usually what kills me. Delighted but I'm probably going to be cut down to 14/15 for the captains final on Saturday 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Shot 34 points off 19 (17/17) in a comp last Sunday. Highest score in stableford comp so far.

1 birdie

4 pars

7 bogeys

4 doubles

3 triples or scratches

7 GIRs

1 penalty

During the round, I believed that I was playing quite average, but when I look back, it was genuinely an excellent round for me. I had an eagle putt miss by inches on 18 so I closed with a 4 pointer tap in birdie. This was my 2nd ever eagle attempt and it was massively satisfying to be there. Had 200 yards to the green which is fronted by a shallow drain but my trusty 4h got me there in two (first time to go for it). Was an inch from being 4/4 GIRS on par 3s and ended up 3-stabbing two of those for bogey. On 5x holes I threw away strokes with wayward mishits/chunks including one lost ball. Normal enough though for me tbh. I typically have at least one write off hole and a couple of wayward ones in a round.

I really feel that I'll break 90 soon. I only need to concentrate on playing sensible golf and with any luck, I'll get a few bounces to go my way. Just bought a new 3 wood and it really makes me more confident for tee shots where Driver is not the play. Was pleasantly surprised to see it be usable off the deck also. Relieved to no longer have a 40+ yard gap at the top of my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

After my worst round since I joined a club this year last weekend (101 🤬) went out today for 9 for the first time since then and shot 38. Think I figured out a few holes from the tee, took 3W off a par 5 and birdied, 3W of 2 par 4s I'd often pull driver on and got 2 pars so hoping to bring that lesson into my rounds going forward. Helped that we were off the whites for the first time in a long time, the blues more or less rule out the 3W on some holes.

4 Bogeys

1 birdie

4 pars for +3 gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Played in Captains Qualifier last Sunday. Was going grand until I had a 9 on the 7th (2 balls OOB) and a 10 on the 'easyish' 9th after having to play 5th from the tee. Had one mishit left and one just short right in OOB. Rest of the round was grand but I didnt qualify obviously.

19 points over 9 holes last night, including one bad scratch. Driving still all over the place, but my irons and 3w worked well. Had two eagle putts in back to back par 5's, which was fun. Back to properly enjoying my golf again, so i'll almost certainly play shite tomorrow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Played Old Head of Kinsale on Saturday. Unreal golf course. Well worth the spin down from Dublin. The weather was perfect too. Every hole was brilliant.

12 points on front 9 (4 pars 5 scratches) Pared the first 3 holes.

20 points on back 9 with one scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

I've suspected for some time that my game isn't as far away from where it was as my scores would suggest. But it is totally unsuited to corballis. So I played mount woseley at the weekend.....

And what a difference a parkland makes (and having extra shots from playing consistently bad golf). My score wasn't amazing - 34 points off 20. It was my first time having two shots on a hole in 19 years, that bothered me being honest. But it was just so much easier.

My putting was awful. I couldn't get the pace of the greens. So I was actually made heaps of great second putts, because I was leaving myself 3 foot or 5 foot putts for my second all day long.

Irons were always a strength of my game and they were very strong on Saturday. I hit them very high. On a windy day, particularly for the high clubs this will cause my ball to move a lot. In corballis the landing areas are smaller and the punishment for not hitting the right spot is more severe. And because the holes in corballis are so short I'm forever trying to hit half shots to keep it down. Which I'm bad at.

Driving was so much for forgiving too. In corballis I'll hit it 2-3 times in a round, so I feel I'm just not used to hitting a driver. It was a mixed bag at the weekend, I hit it on 12 holes I think. Some absolute crackers in there, but also 3 lost balls. If I was using it regularly I reckon I'd get used to it again.

I was going well points wise. 30 points on the 14th tee. Then I hit a fairway bunker. It hit the lip at the back of it (doing decent damage to it) and rolled back a couple of feet. I was 50m shy of the green so tried to clip it out with my sand wedge. Twice and both times caught it too cleanly and went over the green (OB). Sliced a drive lost on the next. Aimed for a fairway bunker on the left of the fairway with my next. It carried it, bounced into bushes after it, also lost. So 4 lost balls in 4 shots! Them admittedly I was pissed off on the next hole. Pulled a 6i, chipped into a bunker, took two to get out. Another scratch.

I finished fine though with two bogies. 34 points overall. So while the score wasn't amazing, I'm content after the round that if I was regularly playing in a parkland I'd be playing to a fairly similar level to how I was before I took a few years off. I hit 8 greens in regulation which I was pretty happy with. Only 6 pars though!

Following my Sunday comp win 2 wks ago with 41pts, (haven't touched clubs since) came joint 4th this Sunday with 43pts (23/20) off 24. Had 3 shots taken after win 2 wks ago. So I'm coming down to where I believe I shud be (high teens). Scratched 1 hole, and a few short putts and I probably wud have gotten a challenging score (46 won). Happy with my steady play. Nothing spectacular but I'm not going for the glory shots any more which is making a difference. Putting still my strong point.. 8 single puts rest 2 putts no 3 putts.. 👌🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I find other courses easier coming from corballis. Targets are so much smaller in Corballis that you have to be accurate. My last two away rounds at Headfort and druids glen went really well from a scoring pov even though I didn't feel like I played as well as I think I can

I played a round there last week with 5 clubs. Driver, 7 Iron, Gap Wedge, 60 degree and Putter. I was on my own so played a game of VPar matchplay to keep it interesting. Ending up beating it two up. The split set really forces you to look at the course a completely different way. Lots of half shots, I managed to hold the top part of 17th green with a 7iron on a day that it was a 9iron at most. Its fun, I will do the same again tomorrow but will probably split the bag up a different way. Leave the driver at home and play with a 4 iron instead, 8 and a few wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

4th with 43 points and 46 winner. Unusual or normal? I’m seeing 41 winning at local course.

46 isn't normal. 41/43 has been winning for weeks. But it was the calmest day in months in Enniscrone for a Sunday comp. I will say I was joint 2nd but ended up 4th cause of back 9 countback I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

The greens are relatively small in corballis, but the distance from the centre of the green to real trouble is the big thing. In Mount Woseley if you miss you might find a bunker, in which case you're likely getting it onto the green and taking two putts for a par. In Corballis if you miss the green you're likely into extremely thick rough. There's a decent chance of a lost ball, taking more than one to get out, or hacking out and ending up god knows where.

And the other big problem is that with a bit of wind it's so dangerous throwing a wedge up into the air. And on a windy day it's not really an option. Hitting a mid-low iron into the wind will take distance off it and move it a bit in the air. But hitting a high iron / wedge into a wind will completely change where it ends up.

I had thought that Corballis would force me to learn to play these other shots. But in reality it's possibly just frustrating me and making me a moan. I'm obviously considering where to look at next year. I'm tempted to look at a parkland not too far from me that doesn't cost big money. I think Roganstown is supposed to be decent.

Had a lesson last night which completely changed my grip. Put it into play today and was expecting a poor round but surprisingly had 38 points off 15. Could've been more but 2 scratches and a few silly 3 putts inside 10 feet. The guy giving the lesson said it would be a game changer for me and I was skeptical but he's not wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

I posted recently saying that I could feel my first sub 90 round coming if I got a few bounces. Well, I smashed that by shooting 84 to take down my first comp in my home club on Sunday. 43 points off 19 playing HC (20/23) on the back tees, the previous best from back tees was 93. One of my best mates also shot 43 in his first home comp and any other day he'd have done the business. Nice to see him pick up a category prize.

1 Birdie

7 Pars

7 Bogeys

3 Doubles

No Triples or Penalties for the first time!

I did have a few bounces go my way for sure. Had a wayward escape from a fairway bunker bounce back off a fence to save an OB. Also got a couple of favourable glances from overhanging trees that on another day would have been trouble. Wasn't all luck though, my chipping and recovery were probably my best, which saved most of the strokes. Putting was good but tbf I left myself with a lot of makeable short putts. The 18th was my best hole, knew I was on for a high 30s score and needed at least par to have a chance at the win. Pulled the drive left into the rough but thankfully I still had a shot. Smoothed a 7i to a comfy wedge distance on the fairway. Struck a low 54 degree from 70 yards to two feet and rolled in the birdie for 4 points and the win.

Played the K club open the previous Friday and shot 102 on the Ryder cup course. Wasn't too disappointed here as the GPS maps are completely wrong and I played blind on several holes. The guy I played with was in a similar boat and it was his first time also. Also lost the 2nd round long HC matchplay on Monday. Was cut 2.6 shots from my comp win, which didn't help but I played poorly and my putting was awful. My opponent missed one putt inside 15 feet before winning 5&4. I managed to hole out from a bunker for the third time this year, which was the sole highlight.

Cut from 17.1 to 14.5 and I really need to improve the flat stick to stay under 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Came first in the monthly medal, shot 90 playing off of 25 so a net 65. My best ever round. However, I'd not played three qualifying rounds as I'm new to the club so I don't get the prize.

Ah well, I still feel newish to golf and I'm delighted to know I could be in with a shout of winning something in the future.

Well done, I would expect your handicap to drop significantly after a score like that. There is a good bit of noise about people relatively new to golf and to golf clubs winning a disproportionate amount of the prizes on offer. There probably should be a seperate category or stricter conditions for newbies entering in the comps especially when there is such a short record of playing in some cases

In our club a new local rule was introduced "Only Players whom have submitted 20 scorecards will qualify to compete for the Main Prize of the day(Medals, Captains etc)"

There was a bit of outrage earlier in the summer with crazy low nett scores winning stroke play comps and also a 51 pointer in a stableford comp.

I really think that is the sensible way forward.

3 cards fair enough to get a handicap but scoring is so volatile over the course of the first 10+ rounds. Personally speaking I was given a handicap of 14 when I started 2 years ago. Always felt I was a good bit better than that. Had some very average rounds, really where I did not play well as I know I could and I was getting 36+ points which tells me my handicap is wrong. I am off 9 now and 36 points now means I have to play very well to get it. 2 years more or less to get to that point

Played Limerick Golf Club for the 1st time today in an open day. Great value for €25. Course was fantastic, greens were nice and quick even with the mist falling. Got 41pts (21/20) 22.2, but course HC was 23.. Happy with my driver, the last changes are sticking well. Bought a 48° during the wk 2nd hand only used it the once but it filled that gap in distance I've found since I've improved my striking. Once again can't recommend the course enough, fine club house and very accommodating staff, they even have a lost Mayo man working there.. Maighe Abu 😆

Played 3 times over the weekend in RoK. Wrecked after it, but very enjoyable.

1st round was ok, with 33 points (thanks to two 4 pointers). Driving still quite erratic, but my wedges were great and putting was decent.

Then played twice on Sunday, 31 points in the 1st and 41 points in the 2nd. 2nd round is my best score of the year, and played some really steady golf. Driving was better, if not great, but the rest of my game was working nicely. Enjoyed it a lot more as well, and was smart in my choices (taking my medicine when required etc...). I think if i can keep my driving from being so wild, i will start seeing a really good run of scoring.

Gonna try get out some evening this week and see if i can keep that form up going into the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played twice this weekend and the 2 rounds couldn't have been any different.

Sunday - 22pts HC 7.

Round started terrible with 2 OB's in the first 4 holes leaving my 4 behind my handicap. Needed to shoot -2 from there to get myself back to level for the front nine. Didn't happen. I tried and tried to get focus back but couldn't get anything going. Ended up with 9pts on the front and the back marginally better. 13pts. Was missing putts so badly i didnt know what to do.

Monday -36pts HC 7

Started off with a good drive good second and third to leave myself 3 foot for birdie on the first. Missed the putt and I thought here goes again. Was 1 over the handicap after 5. Then topped my 3 wood out of bounds on the 6th to end up with a scratch. From there is a different story, 2 bogeys and 2 birdies and 8 pars.

Its a crazy game that we will never figure out!!

Advertisement