Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And the gone-astray serial killer lucked out by happening on an attractive lone female at the end of the boreen, rather than an elderly bachelor farmer with no teeth...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭chooseusername

From 5'8" to 6'3" ?

I'd say our Maria knows what 7 inches looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's pretty far out there alright. The rather sarcastic point I was trying to make was that if leads were not followed up, or relevant information witheld at the time , it's anyone's guess what actually happened.

With the quality of evidence, unless there is some breakthrough, it's unlikely the crime will ever be solved. The murderer may take their secret to the grave, if they already haven't.

Maybe one of the recent leads will progress the investigation but time will make the task more difficult than it would have been twenty five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

He was an experienced crime reporter. If we are asking hypothetical "whys" then why didn't he go "no comment" throughout the garda interview? An experienced crime reporter would know not to give an investigator anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

One thing everyone involved with the case agrees on is that IB cannot shut up. He talks and talks, even after his solicitors advised him to say nothing he invited journalists into his house and gave extensive interviews after he was released from his first arrest. He posed for several photo shoots. He thought he was far more intelligent than the local police, he said so in the podcast. He is no doubt an intelligent man but does not have the awareness to realise his memory is fecked, probably due to drink and drugs.

He said in his statement he went to the studio to write while it was still dark, but has given several versions since where it was during the night, in the morning after 9am etc. By the time Jim Sheridan interviewed him he couldn't even remember what the last version he gave was and refused to talk about it. Likewise with the bonfire, he consistently told the gardai he lit it in early December when witnesses said it was over Christmas. He then told Brighid McLaughlin he did light a fire around the time the witnesses said and burnt clothes that had 'turkey blood' on them.

• Advertisement

Hello all. I've been following this thread, and of course the case, with interest for some a while now. Perhaps now it's time for me to weigh in with my own thoughts about it all. I've just pasted my comments from Reddit's Unsolved Mysteries below--please delete if this is against the rules.

---

(This was originally in response to a deleted comment that referenced the local belief that a member of the guards was responsible for the murder)

Yes. And I believe he had the same car, a blue Ford Fiesta, that was seen speeding away from the area at 7.30 that morning (other evidence that points to the murder possibly being committed early in the morning are the fruits and nuts found in Sophie’s stomach).

Apparently he was known to be violent and for having affairs with women in the area.

It also explains the guards’ incompetence which actually goes beyond incompetence and starts to seem like something quite sinister. Missing evidence, witness statements torn out of books, witnesses bribed, coerced and threatened to implicate Bailey etc.

In my opinion this is what happened. I have spent a lot of time researching this case. In fact if anyone has any questions that come to mind I may be able to answer them.

Like many others for a long time I thought it was Bailey, but in the end I had to consider the evidence and question whether I just wanted it to be him. Because he fits. Because he seems like he could have done it. Because he’s an arrogant violent narcissist who gleefully centred himself in a dead woman’s story. He is vile. He’s also alive, which I think is one reason he makes a good suspect for many people. It means that hope remains for justice for Sophie, and revenge on Bailey who is really just such a prick. Truly sees himself as the noble Englishman come to live among the peasants.

Whereas the aforementioned sergeant is dead. And if it was him, justice will never be done. We might not even find out the truth, ever.

At the end of the day there is not one bit of evidence to implicate Bailey. He did not know her. (This is pretty much certain.) He was not seen by Marie Farrell. Witnesses confirmed they saw him cutting down the tree and killing the turkey when he got those scratches on his hands. His coat was not seen soaking in a bucket of water, originally that witness said she saw clothes soaking in the bathtub. And also he was wearing the coat at the Christmas Day swim two days after the murder. People say he burned the cot in the bonfire but then it turns out the guards took that aforementioned coat into evidence. So like???? Come on.

The bonfire? Nothing of evidence was found. Lots of people disposed of things this way in the countryside in the 90s including my father.

His alibi? He did get up in the middle of the night for a few hours. Drunk, so it’s not really a surprise he forgot to admit this at first. But if you’re suggesting he walked for miles in the freezing cold (he had a car, like) and then took a route home after killing a woman that doubled his return time then... I don’t really know what to say. Anyway we can discount Marie Farrells testimony about her sighting of a man (later turned into Bailey) at the bridge, the woman is a fantasist at best or knows something more than she’s letting on at worst.

His confessions? Not out of character with the kind of man he is. In fact kind of tallies with his gross glee at being able to centre himself and lead the stupid Irish peasants on when in reality he, the smart Englishman, knows the truth. It’s a form of control. And we already know he’s controlling and abusive.

His violence? Many, many, MANY men beat their wives in rural Ireland in the 90s. The place was **** horrendous for women in that time. There were still Magdalene laundries being run for gods sake.

There is not one piece of evidence to suggest he killed Sophie Toscan du Plantier. None. Literally none. And there’s a lot of confusion about when he knew about the murder and how he knew but I believe this has been ironed out and anyway these witness statements weren’t taken until weeks or months later I believe?? And it’s fair enough that people wanted to help the guards pin it on him, the guards had everyone terrified of Bailey and made the public believe they needed their help to make their home safe again. Also do not discount an Irish person’s ability to weave a tale or believe in things that aren’t quite true, or to see things that aren’t quite there. This is not England or America. This was the westernmost tip of Europe, as isolated as you can get, a country where farmers refuse to cut down fairy forts for fear of getting cursed.

As for one of Sophie’s family members saying that Sophie got a call from a poet called ‘Eoin Bailey’ who wanted to meet when she was back in Ireland... this was not ‘remembered’ until years after the murder.

If anyone can compare the two theories—that the guard did it, or Bailey—(obviously it could have been someone else entirely) and come away still thinking that Bailey was the likely culprit, then I’m afraid that you too are seeing things that aren’t quite there.

----

A few other things. An unopened bottle of French wine was found in a ditch nearby months later, it was expensive and not available in Ireland.

Sophie seemed anxious to have someone come with her to Ireland, she asked different family members and none of them could go.

Apparently her husband said she was pregnant when she died?

Much has been made of the fact that she went to Ireland for three days right before Christmas: why? It would have been freezing and the house is so far away from everything that it took the coroner 48 hours before he could eventually arrive. Did she have something to tell someone, i.e a lover? Was the news not well received? Was she a bit afraid of him?

I do believe it all adds up. This was an intensely personal rage-filled murder by someone Sophie knew and probably had had as a lover at least at one point. And they knew where the house was.

Maybe they stayed the night and an argument ensued the next morning that led to her death. Either up at the house or down at the gate.

Here’s a scenario: the person turns up to Sophie’s house in the night with a bottle of wine. (Don’t know if it’s true that it wasn’t available in Ireland). She rejects him and perhaps tells him it’s over, get lost. He attacks her at the door (explaining the blood there) and chases her down to the gate where he kills her.

Maybe he even leaves and then realises that he left evidence behind—the bottle of wine. He goes back. It’s December, so it’s still dark even in the morning. Maybe Sophie to his horror is even still alive and he finishes her off with the block? (Just speculation, after all no time of death was confirmed). The lights in the house are still blazing... he goes up to the house, gets Sophie’s blood on the door (and maybe in the field in front of the house, if he was avoiding the lane way that Sophie shared with Alfie) (this would explain how blood ended up there if Sophie wasn’t attacked up at the house, but only at the gate). He gets blood on the door. He flicks off the light. Collects the bottle of wine and discards it. His car is seen speeding away from the scene of the crime at 7.30.

(Very willing to consider as well it was the ex lover from France who had been to the cottage before, who previously tried to strangle her, and then the travel agent in Galway had an encounter with an anxious Frenchman who mentioned west cork and was booking a flight to Paris on Christmas Eve. He could very well have brought the wine. And the exact same circumstances, with the possible pregnancy, could arise in this situation. I know he had an alibi but there’s something weird about it... first he said he was at an art expo, then he said he was at home getting a phone installed or something.)

I don’t put too much credence in this theory as I don’t know if it all fits (I think possibly the guards said Sophie accidentally locked herself out so I don’t know how the perpetrator would have let himself in then) but it’s just that... a theory. I think the truth resembles something like what I described.

More:

---

I believe valuable forensic evidence was lost due to the delay in the coroner's arrival, Sophie's body lay out exposed to the elements for the entire day and following night following its discovery.

Also there wasn't much effort made to preserve the scene, even Ian Bailey crossed that line, the guards were useless. Even if Bailey's DNA were to be found at the scene, his solicitor could say it came from contamination of the scene after it was cordoned off.

The guards themselves made a huge mess of things and it's hard to untangle what exactly happened. Were there two wine glasses left out? Apparently a female guard took it upon herself to wash up and straighten the place up before Sophie's family arrived.... literally who knows. There is a picture of two wine glasses on the draining board amid other dishes, but it's not clear if they were washed before or after the murder etc. (Sophie's housekeeper said the fact of there being two wine glasses wasn't unusual in itself, that her employer would often use a fresh glass for wine rather than re-use the one she'd just been drinking from.)

The most damning aspect though is the sheer amount of evidence that went missing. A massive six-bar gate with blood on it. The expensive unopened bottle of French wine found in a ditch. Etc. etc.

It would be almost impossible to commit such a violent, physical murder and not leave any forensic evidence. At the very least, if it was Bailey, and they were trying so hard to pin it on Bailey down to bribing people with weed from the evidence room etc, there's no way they wouldn't have been able to find even one sample of Bailey's DNA at the scene.

But they didn't. Because it wasn't him.

----

Just. There are so many possible suspects.

The young French man Sophie was said to be having an affair with, and his parents didn't let on that he was staying with them around the time of the murder. He was never questioned.

A German man who she was also possibly seeing and who killed himself after the murder, leaving a note saying 'I've done something terrible' (which some people say is a rumour.)

The Frenchman who was reported by a travel agent in Galway to have booked a flight to Paris on Christmas Eve (a travel agent that had been used by Sophie before, I believe someone else said?) who seemed nervous, and asked about B and B's in West Cork and possibly made reference to having left one without paying.

Marie Farrell, whose behaviour out of everyone's is the strangest.

The aforementioned sergeant.

Also, drugs? Sophie had apparently complained about drugs in the area. And drug-smuggling was in play off the coast of Mizen Head where she lived... there have been some high profile cocaine seizures from right on Sophie's doorstep in the last few years. One was worth €750 million, another €440 million... I can see a situation turning nasty under these circumstances. I did a little bit of reading around this topic before, because I was curious as to whether there might be an angle of interest here in relation to Sophie's murder. One detail that intrigued me is that one of the smugglers was a member of the British police force, a detective. Is it out of the realms of possibility that the Irish sergeant was involved in smuggling? Or Marie Farrell? Is that the real reason she was driving around Mizen Head in the middle of the night? Pure speculation obviously but if Sophie had complained about drugs, if someone had been using her house while she wasn't there... This is a quote from the Independent about a Mizen Head drugs bust in 2007:

"That night, a holiday house on the Mizen Peninsula was broken into. Not only that, but the beds had been slept in by at least two people. Two days later, a car was stolen from an area near Schull. A co-incidence of criminality in the usually peaceful idyll?"

Unfortunately the rest is hidden behind a paywall, anyone have an Irish Independent subscription? https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/a-drugs-haul-a-mystery-break-in-and-a-stolen-car-26303105.html

(To be clear, I'm sure that smuggling drugs into Barleycove Beach in the depths of December is probably not... feasible. Not sure what the sea was like on that date, but at that time of year, extremely dangerous. But then isn't that how the drugs bust ended with the aforementioned British detective, their boat sank or something.)

Anyway, that area is known as Ireland's Cocaine Coast... Sophie lived on the very tip of it. I don't know. There could be something there.

More suspects:

Her husband, who was going broke, had a life insurance policy on Sophie, didn't come to Ireland when she was murdered, they were about to go through a costly separation seemingly, he didn't tell her relatives about the murder... he had an alibi though.

Her ex-lover Bruno Carbonnet, who had been to the house in Schull before, had tried to strangle her on the Metro allegedly. He had not one but two alibis, an art auction in the south of Frances and a phone installation in his Paris apartment. Don't know what that's all about. (The only evidence for his alibi appears to be a signed receipt for the phone installation hmmmmmm also he sent Sophie a screw in the post after she broke up with him? Extremely fucked up. I think this man needs to be examined with at least as much attention as has been spent on Bailey.)

Last but not least. Tomi Ungerer, Sophie's neighbour and one of the last people to see her when she returned from remote peninsula Three Castle Head and apparently was freaking out because she saw the White Lady, a ghost that if you see it foretells your death... apparently this is complete bullshit, and the Ungerers aren't Irish so it stands to reason that they might get the wrong end of the stick when it comes to Irish legends and that. But Tomi seems like he was an interesting guy, an artist known for among other things his erotic drawings. Apparently he and Sophie had agreed to work on a project together when they parted that day. By the next day she was dead.

(Edit: in no way am I seriously positing Ungerer as a suspet, I just find him... interesting. He had a consenting sex slave in the 60s. Which is wild.)

One thing I will say is that I really like the theory posited by someone that Sophie had laced up her boots to step outside to smoke a joint. This sounds right to me. When I'm smoking a joint at night in rural Ireland I'll often stuff my feet into a pair of boots and just put on a cardigan or a coat over my jammies, as I'll only be outside for a few minutes.

Another thing to bear in mind, I see people saying 'what woman in her right mind would be wandering outside her home in a place like this in the middle of the night' etc. Well, I'm a woman and I've wandered around by myself at night in the deepest of darkest rural Ireland. There's nowhere safer. Sometimes it can be scary because of stories like Sophie's but in reality... there's no bogeyman. No one is coming for you. It's just you and the countryside at night.

Also, Sophie was a romantic type. She had her bed raised so she could watch the light of the Fastnet lighthouse when she was going to sleep. December 23 was around the time of the winter solstice, I can see her stepping outside to take it all in. With someone? Alone? Was she in bed when she heard someone knocking at the door, or driving up to the gate? Was she killed in the morning or the night before? We don't have any of these answers.

I do feel certain though that 'Ian Bailey' is not an answer in any shape or form.

One point of interest is that in all these years, Ian Bailey's story has never changed. He has never wavered from it. Apart from when he admitted getting out of bed in the middle of the night to write an article but... this can be simply explained by the fact that it doesn't look good, so why would you mention it. Other than that, his story has never changed, not once.

Someone on boards.ie has detailed how they were at a party at Alfie Lyons a few months before the murder and it was there that Bailey learned of Sophie's existence (who lives in that house? etc.) But he changed the subject and started going on about his knowledge of French cinema, showing no interest whatsoever in the neighbour. It is doubtful that there would have been much opportunity between summer 96 and Christmas 96 for Bailey and Sophie to ever become acquainted—she wasn't there that often. They didn't know each other. They never met.

Whereas someone like Marie Farrell has inserted herself and changed her story multiple times even as recently as LAST MONTH to say the man she saw in the dark on the road in 1996 was a Frenchman she saw in a photograph with Sophie's husband. I'm willing to entertain a suspicion that Marie could have been involved in the incident herself. Who on EARTH was she driving around with in the middle of winter? Going to have sex at Barleycove beach in a car two days before Christmas? No way, man. The bitter cold of the night would skin you alive. What's interesting to me is that Sophie had her locks changed because someone seemed to be using her house when she wasn't there. The bath etc. Was Marie Farrell having an affair with someone—possibly even the aforementioned sergeant—and they were using Sophie's house while she was away? When they found her there after all, the murder ensued.

Someone else has pointed out—look how easily Marie Farrell lies. When she said she saw Ian Bailey, when she said he threatened her. A few years later: when she said she did NOT see Ian Bailey, it was someone else entirely. She has the exact same expression when relating both versions. She is a dangerous fantasist IMO. And possibly more involved than one might think. Hence her self-insertions into the investigation. Running away from the witness stand when asked to name who she was with that night. An absolute agent of chaos.

Marie Farrell was very tangled up with the guards' investigation. To the point where they seem to have been letting her husband off on assault charges and the like in exchange for her implication of Bailey.

Whatever about her, though, I do think the likeliest explanation is that the sergeant was responsible. I have seen him named online before but can't remember who he is. It's a shame that Gemma O'Doherty turned out to be a racist homophobic conspiracy nut, but she did used to be a respected journalist and in 2018 she wrote a pretty thorough article on the suspect who was a member of the police force, and how the guards' behaviour pointed towards a stitch-up:

https://villagemagazine.ie/did-gardai-target-bailey-to-shield-sophies-killer-by-gemma-odoherty/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Changing the goal posts again. You can't explain away how Marie Farrell could mistake Bailey for a short sallow skinned man so you come up with a new set of questions. Marie Farrell didn't identify or describe Bailey in December. The man only became Bailey in late January.

So Marie Farrell didn't see Bailey for the reasons I have outlined. No point in engaging with the rest of the speculation when it is so clearly and obviously based on a false premise, unless somehow Bailey temporarily shapeshifted into a short sallow skinned man. You talk about most likely answers and we're expected to believe that was Ian Bailey. Not plausible.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Witnesses confirmed they saw him cutting down the tree and killing the turkey when he got those scratches on his hands.

Is it credible that he would have got multiple scratches on his hands and arms from these though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

So much wrong with this post.

80km of motorway in Ireland in 1996.

Jack lynch tunnel didn't open until 1999

168,000 mobile phones in Ireland in 1996. It would shortly explode as the likes of esat and Vodafone offered pay as you go and Christmas 1996 saw a massive upsurge . SMS was not a commonly carried on most phones.

The Garda station being closed - what were they meant to do. Sit there all night? Nothing happened at the station for 40 years. Why would they bother.

Air corps on the 23rd December. Are you having a laugh. It wasn't like she was going anywhere fast. And the only place it would have landed would be cork city or farranfore so it was still an hour and a half away no matter where or what they do.

Some great hindsight detective work going on here and a couple forgetting about dial up broadband. Ask Jeeves. AOL. Either some of ye are a bit young and don't realise how technologically crap the world was in 1996 or your a bit old and the noggin is a bit hazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The DPP seems to think it more credible than them being cuts from briar thorns at the scene that left no traces there.

See sections 1 and 10

https://syndicatedanarchy.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/30/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Great post, Irish spiderplant.

Although much of this has been raked over previously in the thread.

A few points:

I agree the evidence against Bailey is threadbare and, to a great extent, contrived. I also think he's innocent.

The unnamed guard as a possible perpetrator - of course its possible, but even less evidence for this than there is against Bailey.

The husband organised the killing....no evidence other than weak circumstantial stuff. But he did have a motive.

The lover. It would fit the passionate, emotional nature of the attack and the alibi is not, imo, totally watertight, but again, all circumstantial.

The behaviour of the Gardai was appalling. There is a big question mark over the root cause. "cock up" or conspiracy?

Once again, great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dublin49

this is laughable,Baileys story has never changed,except the most important piece of evidence a witness can give,his Alibi,and only when Jules contradicted his version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

@irishspiderplant

Initially I thought "here's another online sleuth" then read down your posts and it's as good a surmisation as you will get.

Very well written, plenty of new questions and blindingly obvious that IB simply could not be the murderer.

It's worthy of a bigger platform than boards. Maybe send it to the phoenix magazine who have followed the story for many years.

while condemning Bailey for his attitudes to the Irish that is full of cliches. Edge of Europe wife beaters apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

If Sophie was pregnant and knew she was pregnant, do you think she would be having wine at all? Or a spliff for that matter. Daniel and Sophie's talked for an hour on the phone, about her being pregnant according to an examiner article from 2004. If she knew she was preggo, would she have drank? Or smoked?

Maybe I missed it but neither murder in the cottage, Netflix's offering, nor murder at roaring water mention that she was pregnant. I don't think West cork pod did either? Is that not an important piece of the puzzle. Both on account of behaviour and attitude. Would she happily fly knowing she was pregnant. Would she drink. Was she having morning sickness. How far along was she. Was their DNA evidence taken to find out who the father was. Was dtdp questioned on this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-10046500.html%3ftype=amp

Link that I got the info from.

I just can't believe it isn't mentioned more. Especially as it could be so sensationalist in regards of filming. 2 people died that night on a cold dark laneway in a remote part of West cork. It's an angle I would have assumed Sheridan would have loved to beat with a stick. Maybe he was just too busy sticking his face in. Grating man and a good match for Bailey's need for to be the centre of attention.

How do you smash someone with a rock 50 times and not leave a single trace of evidence, either at the scene or on your person. That is the one single saving grace bailey has if it was him. A cinder block off skull and subsequently pavement. Up to 50 times. You would scrape a knuckle. You would be covered in blood. No amount of a quick wash down at kealfadda bridge is going to wash away blood. If he walked through fields, even worse. Dirt. Mud. Blood. He would leave an absolute mess around the place and anyone worth half their salt would track a trail with those tracks.

2 questions I would want to know. What clothes were bailey wearing to the pub that night. Were they the same clothes he was wearing the following day. Did he shower or change or anything of the sort that morning.

Second question. Did bailey own a pair of gloves? If he did and he strolled to Sophie's house ( to minutes, 3 degrees. December 23rd, cold, damp, horrible) you would take gloves wouldn't you??? Did he have a pair or multiple pairs. Were they recovered? Would explain lack of finger prints. Even if he took the car, the amount of blood spattering that would have happened, there would have been some trace in the car. Impossible not to have been. Unless he went over, killed her. Stripped, drove home. Got bags, got showered and changed, went back, took the clothes and went home. That's preposterous. Even he would know you couldn't go to the scene multiple times and this is a man that would have taken a few drinks and probably a spliff so he's not exactly sharp as a tack right at this moment. Much less so if he has just clubbed someone's head in.

The whole case is an absolute headfeck.

I think you may have misread the post cardinal .

without motorways and Cork tunnel, Dublin to Dunmanus in 1996 would take about 6 hours.(from experience)

M7, M8 Cork tunnel would knock off 90 mins.

It was 2007 before French authorities said it would be best not to drink wine when pregnant.

1996 it would have been normal. And many french people ignore the 2007 health advice.

I don't buy the pregnancy story. She had all but separated from Daniel du Plantier, she was using her first marriage name. (Telephone and electricity bill was in that name)

Daniel moved on very quickly - moved in with his soon to be 4th wife about 3 months later. - An attractive 28 year old that became pregnant in June 2007, less than 6 months after the murder. They married in July 1998.

Hardly a grieving husband!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I've another angle in my head

Lets say the husband knew she was leaving him. He was in financial trouble and VERY well connected.

Someone from the military is assigned the task.

Most Army use the KISS approach

Keep it Simple Stupid

There was no mobile phones no toll bridges not a lot of CCTV back then

S/he flies in from France to Dublin or Belfast

Train or Bus to Galway where they rent a car. The husband bought the house so I would assume he would know the location.

Drives from Galway to Cork to the location in daylight to recce it out.

Waits until that fateful night knocks at the door and in french says Daniel sent me or something similar. She comes out to talk to him or show him the light house and wallop she tries to run and the block happens at the gate.

They drive further away down the road and dispose of the wine bottle as a calling card of the crime and to check and see how on the ball the guards are.

Burns all the clothes from the scene (this is a trained killer) returns the car to Galway City.

Takes a bus to Loughrea which would be the first decent sized town from Galway city at the time, books the ticket home

Bus to Dublin Airport, back to France mission accomplished.

The Detective said in the documentary that they went to France and they we're told to go back to the airport and head back to ireland they wouldn't be interviewing anyone.

If you have nothing to hide you'd gladly be interviewed like Mr Bailey in this case.

• Advertisement

I could envisage such a scenario but for one point.

Why would the assassin leave the body so exposed? If he had concealed it in the house, he probably would have delayed the discovery by a day or more, giving him so much more time to clear the country.

I don't understand? How would that be "leaving a calling card?

Plus the way OTT violence of the crime. Doesn't that violate the KISS principle?

Sorry,

leaving a calling card as unlikely as leaving the body exposed.

"They drive further away down the road and dispose of the wine bottle as a calling card of the crime and to check and see how on the ball the guards are."

Thread getting a bit surreal now.

That's quite a fantasy.

Btw, KISS is used in almost every management training module and sales training. It was in my business degree coursework in 1987.

There is little doubt that Daniel knew she was / had left him. He most likely was already poking his new young girlfriend at that stage. (They moved in together in march 1997)

But the James bond fantasy is funny but not exactly realistic.

OK, yes, I see.

No, the assassin theory doesn't fit with the wine bottle. In fact that's a real teaser.....it doesn't fit with the IB scenario or the Garda idea either.

Of course, it may not be connected at all.

Yes and no.

If it was an organised hit, and the assassin had used a long range rifle say, or even a professional strangling then it would be fairly obvious and thereby bring the cold eye of suspicion on those who had a real motive and/or stood to gain, ( the husband) so possibly it could have been done in that way to suggest a crime of passion.

• Advertisement

Here's a wild idea...just throw it in for comment:

There is a high degree of scepticism regarding Sophie's stated reason for the visit. ( fix the heating) which just doesn't ring true.

What if she was actually scared of something in Paris? What if she sensed that her husband had sinister intentions and bolted to Cork to get away from the threat and take some time to think? But the threat followed her..................

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement