Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hear that Covid cases have risen again in North Donegal - two weeks after the bused protest to Dublin. Who knows if there is a strong link but it seems likely at least to be a contributory factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Furze99 wrote: »
    Hear that Covid cases have risen again in North Donegal - two weeks after the bused protest to Dublin. Who knows if there is a strong link but it seems likely at least to be a contributory factor.

Far more likely that "delta variant" and northern pubs being fully open are more of a factor than the protest.

Also average time from infection to symptoms is much less than 2 weeks, we would have seen the impact much sooner (if there was one)

If it is mainly coming from people hopping over the border to have indoor food and pints that makes the decision to hold off on that here sound like a better decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

All 3 posts above moved from Mica thread to here. No idea why they were posted there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

muffler wrote: »
    All 3 posts above moved from Mica thread to here. No idea why they were posted there

To vilify the protesters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

timmyntc wrote: »
    Far more likely that "delta variant" and northern pubs being fully open are more of a factor than the protest.

Also average time from infection to symptoms is much less than 2 weeks, we would have seen the impact much sooner (if there was one)

I support the protests obviously but it takes a while for cases to seed and spread, two weeks after it would be spot on regarding that. Would just be small increases before that so it could go unnoticed. 4/5 hours on packed buses up and down would be easy to spread. RTE news showed a bus packed, barely anyone wearing a mask and a woman singing with a guitar on the day of the protest which had left from Donegal. Wouldn't be hard for it to spread in that scenario.

The North being open and delta being more widespread there obviously has an impact but you can't discount the protests as having a detrimental impact as well just because we support the cause. Its not blaming anyone either, its just a reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

electoral area data backup on https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

SW Donegal 49.1 per 100k
    Glenties 87.8 per 100k
    milford 116.2 per 100k
    lifford stanolar 189.3 per 100k
    letterkenny 231.6 per 100k
    carndonagh 489.3 per 100k
    buncrana 608.1 per 100k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

electoral area data backup on https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

SW Donegal 49.1 per 100k
    Glenties 87.8 per 100k
    milford 116.2 per 100k
    lifford stanolar 189.3 per 100k
    letterkenny 231.6 per 100k
    carndonagh 489.3 per 100k
    buncrana 608.1 per 100k

The mica trip to Dublin must be a contributing factor to these numbers not withstanding the cross border element. I'd say over two thirds of the attendees outside the Dept of an Taoiseach building had no masks on by the end of the event. Add in the good old sing song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The mica trip to Dublin must be a contributing factor to these numbers not withstanding the cross border element. I'd say over two thirds of the attendees outside the Dept of an Taoiseach building had no masks on by the end of the event. Add in the good old sing song.

Just think if some of the politicians and even our own local agriculture minister had come to meet the people properly and listen to them seriously and really fight for them in Dublin there would of been no need for a March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Just think if some of the politicians and even our own local agriculture minister had come to meet the people properly and listen to them seriously and really fight for them in Dublin there would of been no need for a March.

Absolutely. Just pointing out the obvious. I was there myself. I didn't take my mask off and tried to keep my distance. Unfortunately while distance etiquette couldn't be maintained people should have kept their masks on.

• Advertisement

It might be safe to post here again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yep, I got my second jab on Tuesday so they were able to reopen the site to me again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Neighbours both got their second jab 2 weeks ago tested positive for covid after been in contact with their son who had it

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

Most of the vaccines bar Pfizer take 14 days to give you immunity, 7 days for Pfizer. So you're still at risk until the 14 days pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yes, it's unfortunate. But the fact they have had their vaccines should hopefully protect them from reacting very badly and ending up in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Did they have bad symptoms?

I've had one vaccination so far myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

North Inishowen now has the highest Covid 19 incidence rate in the country at almost 2,000 cases per 100,000 people.

South Inishowen is the second highest with a rate of just over 1,200.

• Advertisement

and did I read that Donegal has the highest incidence rate?

A couple of days ago I think it was 725 per 100k. Next county was around 300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ah great, i'm going to Buncrana area next week for a mini break. Does anyone know what it's like in Derry? This must be a cross border thing why rates are so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

Very high rates in Derry thats why inishowen is so high

you can zoom into the rates on Covid in Ireland: How many cases are in your area? (breakingnews.ie)

but thats nearly a week old at this point

Breaking news.ie nearly a week out of date.

Kinda sums up that website.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Carndonagh will have a vaccine walk in centre on Monday morning. Letterkenny hosting it on Saturday. No appointment needed.

Carn highest in country, with 2100 per 100,000. Shockingly high.

Think Buncrana 2nd too.

Derry very high too, with hospital under severe pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If hospital numbers for Letterkenny aren't too high then what difference does it make?

Case numbers are no longer an important metric as most people are vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Agree to an extent, but increasing numbers will mean increasing hospitalizations. ICU numbers were at 15 about a month ago, I noticed on the news last night they are nudging towards 30.

I now have personal experience of this, a family member is in hospital for approaching a fortnight, and they were very ill when admitted.

A 51yr old man died in hospital this week from it too in Derry. A father and grandfather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Some kind of anti-vax protest in the Square today, some woman with a Dub-ill-in accent shouting about trillionaires

Anti vax idiots in Derry harassing pregnant women waiting to get vaccinated.

Whatever happened to personal choice. Obviously some folk think they can tell you what to do with your own body.

The Italian anti-vax guy removing the covid patient from the hospital unsettling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I heard the man died a few days ago but just seen he's alive and in ICU in Letterkenny and his family have apologised to staff. No idea what to believe now

Also was told yesterday he had died, but I hadn't heard the story up to that point.

We live in a crazy world where nutters off the internet are coming and taking seriously ill people out of hospital and they agree. The medical staff can only advise. If people don't take their opinion, then what can they do.

Hope that man pulls through, but of course should he die the nutters will say the hospital killed him.

Post edited by NIMAN on

Does anyone know if there is a walk in testing centre open in Buncrana?

There is an option online to book an appt from 230pm onwards, but other details say its open from 11am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I used to be a non-appointment walk in centre but I think it's for bookings now. I don't think they'd turn you away though...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

Very sad, may he rest in peace.

No doubt his case is going to make the media now, used by both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I agree with your sentiment, and I hope his death doesn't be used by anyone.

However the two sides in this are on one hand medical professionals who are trying to do the best they can to save peoples lives.

And on the other are a bunch of nutters causing chaos at the hospital acusing their staff of trying to kill people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Got an appointment for Saturday which I'm delighted about. It's Pfizer but thinking I would rather Moderna if possible. Anyone get Moderna and at which centre?

I've merged your thread with this existing thread on all things Coronavirus related.

My wife got hers at the clinic on the Kilmacrennan Road, Letterkenny a couple of weeks ago and it was the Pfizer booster. She got an appointment text from the HSE before that stating she would get either Pfizer or Moderna but she didn't have a choice on the day.

I recieved a text message yesterday for flu and covid booster in Clonmany on the 7th of December.

Booster available to anyone over 50 who wanted 1st vaccine or received there 1st injection 5 months ago or more.

No mention of what vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Wife works in a Letterkenny school 14 of 29 pupils out today with 2 confirmed cases but according to the government it's kids parties not schools that's the problem.

My other half was out shopping today and enquired in the local chemist about the booster.

Recieved it there and then. Pfizer.

Just got my appointment (text) for Tuesday morning next in Letterkenny. Im getting the Moderna jab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Hah! I think I'll hold onto the Moderna. ☺️

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there are plans to increase pcr testing in Donegal?

Ive just spent 36 hrs trying to book a pcr test for my daughter, who has symptoms, and a positive antigen test. No tests available yesterday, today, or tomorrow, either.

So, how is anyone meant to qualify for a temporary covid payment, if they can't get a test? For that matter, how are the unvaccinated meant to get proof of recovery, either?

At this rate, she'll be testing negative by the time she gets a test.

Advertisement