Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving an Eir pole and line

Options
  • 05-10-2022 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

A neighbour is looking to relocate a telecom pole which my line is connected to. Are they (my neighbour and/or Eir) able to move my line to a new pole without my permission?

I haven't received any written notification from Eir only being notified by my neighbour, which feels strange to me.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Firstly, it's Eir's line. They can move it and probably will advise you in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

I would have thought your neighbour is not allowed to move the pole, because they don't own it.

Eir, however, do own it, and can move it if they want. They also own the line into your house, so unless the move impacts on your property, then i don't see why they should notify you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

You rent a service from Eir, how they get it to you is up to their network distribution planning. Your neighbour will not be doing any moving or technical adjustment to the phone line infrastructure.

Eir on the other hand have many and various arrangements made with public and private organisations outside of your property to do that. They don't have to ask your permission to work on their own network. The physical line your service is carried on, is their property and can take any route they deem appropriate to get to you. Your 'line' could be moved and re-routed anytime and anywhere between your physical property boundary and whatever route is necessary to make a switching network connection at your nearest telephone exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Brugs0099

Yes I appreciate my neighbour wont be moving the pole themselves so I am assuming they have paid Eir to move the pole. The new position is more convenient for them but less convenient for me. I know I don't own the pole or line. I'm unsure of my rights, I don't think I should be forced to go along with this just because it suits my neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Advertisement

The proposed position of the new pole is in direct line of sight as I exit my drive (safety concern). For ref it's not just the new pole blocking the line of sight but this is additional.

Also my neighbour is unable (obviously) to give any reassurance that new line will not be a downgrade of my current service.

So really why would I want to change it, I'm happy with the current speed/location etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If sight lines are to be compromised with the repositioning of the pole then that is something I think you should bring to the attention of both the roads section of your local Council and the engineering branch of Eir. You need to be sure though that this the case as there are set dimensions for vision line splays.

I honestly can't see this having any reduction on internet speed.

Thanks re council/engineer.

Yes I would suspect you are right in terms of speed but equally I don't want end up with 1/2 the speed because I assume it wouldn't impact it.

Still not too sure where I stand though, whether I am obliged to move the location because it suits a neighbour and they have paid for it to be moved. It doesn't sound right to me. I would also think Eir should be notifying me, strange they haven't.

I am assuming, whilst Eir could cut me off, they are unlikely to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Your service/speed won't be affected. Eir will consider sight lines. I honestly don't see what has you do peeved. Contact Eir if you have any concerns but they are perfectly entitled to move their networks if they wish.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

Advertisement