Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topped up with wrong mobile network via ptsb online banking

Options
  • 07-11-2022 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I attempted to top up my mobile phone via my ptsb online banking and selected Eir network in error instead of Vodafone. The money has been deducted from my account but obviously no credit was applied to the phone. I contacted Eir to request a refund explaining my error and their reply was they can’t issue a refund as I’m not their customer. The bank advised they can’t help either. Can anybody offer helpful advice on how I can get my money back, please?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

Give up and move on with your life. I doubt it will ever be resolved. Take it as a lesson learned

• Registered Users Posts: 23 1cent

Thank you for donation please comeback again ! P.S. on payg chances to get money back very slim.

Depends how much the top up was but small claims court might be worth a go. €25 to fill in your application. If you've got a case they'll contact PTSB and you'll more than likely get a refund quick enough. If you've no case, it's another €25 wasted. I'd even do it just to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Found under a cabbage

I’ve followed up my calls with a written complaint just for the craic. If there is no resolution, Comreg have advised they’ll pursue it. Have considered small claims court - as you’ve said, just out of principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Eir won't have received your money if the number inputted doesn't exist on their network how can they have? Also I don't know why comreg would get involved in something that was clearly your own error

With Aib if this same scenario happens the money comes back to your account within 60 days automatically have you asked pstb if this may be the case with them?

Eir did get the money and will not return it. Confirmed by the bank. Comreg get involved if they believe you have a case. No service / product received. PTSB have advised the merchant needed to return the money and they can’t recall or help. Only way they could have helped is if it was a credit/debit card transaction. The transaction was made in their online banking facility. I just think it’s double standards as you can be sure if someone paid money into my account in error, I would be obligated to return it. Anyway lesson learned. Any thoughts of moving my broadband, landline and mobile to them have certainly left my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Your number doesn't exist on Eir a direct topup from any bank goes straight to the customers prepay account not Eir's bank account so Eir definately do not have your money not sure why you'd believe an Irish bank over an Irish service provider both are as bad as each other for passing the buck tbh.

Yes the money has left your account and PTSB can see that it was paid to Eir but that's as far as it goes it cannot get applied to any account as your number is not with Eir and it will bounce back to your bank account usually within 60 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Just to offer abit of advice on this. Used to work for customer service for a uk mobile network and this happened all the time. It might be different now, or for Eir, but for us when it happened it never hit the account cos there was no number in the network to apply it to. It should bounce back to the original source of funds. Time scales will depend on your bank tbh. The bank will say it left the account, and they are right it did. But eir never got it, cos there’s no number there.

I did ask the question about it bouncing back and was told it wouldn’t because of the transaction type! Not choosing to believe one over the other. Both companies have told me I won’t be getting the money back.

• Advertisement

I would have imagined this was a regular occurrence but it seemed like news to the advisors on the calls. Hopefully it will bounce back and I was just given incorrect information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What will you be claiming in the SCC? The mistake was clearly yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If I crash my car into a wall on purpose, can I make a claim from someone else?

Hopefully the scc would refuse to take such a ridicuously stupid case AND keep your €25

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bit harsh on the OP.

Of course he is entitled to money back.

Simple honest mistake.

The technology is there to make life better not worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

People saying he isn't entitled to his money back because he made a mistake are being ridiculous and wrong.

If a bank overs and account they are entitled to it back, if a job mistakenly overpays wages they are entitled to it back. This situation is no different.

The op bought something he can’t use though, that is not the fault of the service supplier anymore than if you booked a flight to the wrong destination or on the wrong date. In the examples you gave, the fault lies with the retailer/service provider, in the op’s case it is the consumer who made the mistaken purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

He bought credit for the Eir network. They haven't given him his credit for the Eir network. It's not complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It was a payment in error to a company he has no business relationship with. Immediate refund is appropriate response.

Apparently it is more complex than you appreciate, HE bought credit for a network he doesn’t use, he can use that credit if he signs up with EIR, which of course he won’t, but that is not Eirs fault.

I agree they should refund it, but it seems they are under no obligation to as the consumer bought something they themselves can’t use. That part isn’t complicated either.

Another poster who seems knowledgeable has posted that it will eventually bounce back to the op’s account, if it does, brilliant, if it doesn’t, then it’s a case of being more careful the next time.

Post edited by Dav010 on

It's **** software, three times over. Once for allowing to happen in the first place, 2nd for not giving the opportunity to confirm the transfer details and 3rd for not having a refund mechanism.

Our software is sh!t so we're just going to keep your money is not a good enough excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sounds like it was completely user error, not **** software. The payment will bounce back, OP should take this as a soft lesson to be just a little bit more diligent when committing to a purchase in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

1. PTSB have no idea what phone numbers are on which networks so they can't prevent this from happening. that is down to the user
    2. You have no idea if they were given the opportunity to confirm the details
    3. As others have said the money will probably bounce back into the account. Eventually.

1. Yes I agree. I still think that is bad software design. If there is no api access to the phone numbers then they really shouldn't be providing this service on their website. If you can't do a proper implementation then don't do it at all. Saying it's not possible to do it properly so we'll just do a crap implementation where it's possible to lose your money and it's just tough luck is not a good enough reason for the OP not to get his money back. That is on PTSB, no doubt about it.

2. I've used this before and (wouldn't use it again).. I said this based on my recollection but ok, OP hasn't specified.

3. Great if true. Why didn't they tell OP that. He should also be given a time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Selecting the wrong provider is down to the user. you are expecting a lot from PTSB to implement a check for the provider against the number. and that is even assuming that the providers would make this information available. it is the same if you buy a topup in a shop. If you ask for the wrong provider then you wont get a refund from the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

PTSB also give a specific warning against this as you enter the top up screen, granted it was more prominent on their old user interface but it's still there

they also have clear coloured mobile network logo's (eir and vodafone) on each of the buttons for the top up itself.

Advertisement