Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

kjl wrote: »
    WHO CARES????

You and I obviously do, or we wouldn't be here. Policymakers should also.
    The fact is 1000's of people in Ireland smoke it. If it was legal it would generate tax revenue, it would have an age limit where it wouldn't be sold to kids under 18 and it would stop funding criminal gangs and it wouldn't be cut with glass to make it heavier.

I'm on record here as saying legalisation might be the way to go - but that doesn't resolve the real health implications of consuming cannabis.
    On the whole the drug is virtually harmless

This recent study disagrees: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/teen-cannabis-users-less-likely-to-finish-school-get-a-degree-1.1923398
    I don't drink, but I smoke cannabis about 4 times a week. Why do I have to commit a crime to smoke a harmless drug in my own house where I am not hurting anyone, but it's totally ok for me to go out, get off my face drunk, start fights, piss all over the streets.

If you're buying it then you're supporting criminals - it's not a harmless leisure pursuit. And it's never ok to start fights or piss all over streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CaptAdam

yes cannabis does not kill people, but it makes them extremely lazy and 'not bothered'. It turns young people off education and 'cannabis,cannabis,cannabis..' is all they think about all day long. You say that it would give the country an economical boost, yet legalising it would just add to the amount of people smoking it and more unemployment. All it would do is put this country in a worse way in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Come fly with me, come fly come fly away.

A tamed and fully in control person of which is capable of tuning into the world of philosophy and enlightenment from the old ages of humanity. Yes, it has brought wisdom and amazing ideas to some folk back then, and today. It's not for everyone, but some folk enjoy the legendary herb on occasion. Ban alcohol and see the untamed wallow into tameness there-forth.

I find that it's not just 'cannabis' that can turn a person into a Dope (as sometimes said) It is certain strains of cannabis that can turn a person into a dope. Most folk in Ireland, or should I say the unlucky one's, smoke indica strains as this cannabis sort makes you sleepy and brain-relaxed. Sativa is the mind awakener and stimulates the mind regarding creative thought.

Too many folk smoke the indica and it can lower your motivation indeed, but can be beneficial for certain health related issues without tobacco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

WHO CARES???? The fact is 1000's of people in Ireland smoke it. If it was legal it would generate tax revenue, it would have an age limit where it wouldn't be sold to kids under 18 and it would stop funding criminal gangs and it wouldn't be cut with glass to make it heavier.

On the whole the drug is virtually harmless and those who suffer from serious paranoia (i.e 1 in 6000) could be educated to simple not smoke this non addictive substance.

I don't drink, but I smoke cannabis about 4 times a week. Why do I have to commit a crime to smoke a harmless drug in my own house where I am not hurting anyone, but it's totally ok for me to go out, get off my face drunk, start fights, piss all over the streets.

There needs to be a change in policy right now

there was a few weeks ago, the minister now has the power to allow the use of a controlled substance if it's in the public interest, so now GW pharmacy can and will extort insane amounts of money from MS sufferers to use their canabis extract even though ya can grow the very same at home for 10% of the cost!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Pkiernan wrote: »
    How come the peace loving hippies who smoke dope don't seem to have a problem lining the pockets of the same organised criminals who traffic people across borders for the sex slave industry?

Why not wait until it's legal until you smoke it, instead of giving your money to gangsters?

Next time you're really stoned think about the poor teenage girls being raped nightly in Dublin by the same pimps supplying your peaceful, harmless plant.

you read the papers too much. the average weed dealer is a normal joe soap : )
    nothing to do with gangsters or the sex slave industry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

you read the papers too much. the average weed dealer is a normal joe soap : )
    nothing to do with gangsters or the sex slave industry.

By smoking hash you are supporting the likes of John Gilligan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Jumboman wrote: »

The cannabis mentioned here is actually a cannabis based drug, not cannabis itself. Sativex has been made legal here but is likely to be quite expensive.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cannabis-medicine-allowed-for-ms-patients-274619.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

The cannabis mentioned here is actually a cannabis based drug, not cannabis itself. Sativex has been made legal here but is likely to be quite expensive.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cannabis-medicine-allowed-for-ms-patients-274619.html

Will that be available to people on the medical card ?

Will that be available to people on the medical card ?

Interesting question, but there is not much information on this prescription scenario at this time, in regards to who can get it on medical card.

7 Things You Need To Know About Sativex

http://www.leafscience.com/2014/03/08/7-things-need-know-sativex/

In New Zealand, an average annual prescription of Sativex costs about $16,000 (US). Likewise, according to Professor Gavin Giovannoni of The London School of Medicine, Sativex has “not been proven to be cost-effective” in the UK, which has led a large number of MS patients to continue using illegal forms of cannabis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Peter Hitchens thinks the Pro Cannabis people are covering up its side effects.

Of course, Peter Hitchens is the bastion of reason, especially if it comes to foreigners, gays, left-wingers and non-Christians.

I presume it is available on the medical card if you are suffering from MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

yes gilligan and the likes do sell weed and god knows where the proceeds go.but there are hundreds of small dealers across the country who grow a few plants in there house and sell to friends and people they work with and so on.people with very respectable jobs do it on the side.you would be very surprised.

yes gilligan and the likes do sell weed and god knows where the proceeds go.but there are hundreds of small dealers across the country who grow a few plants in there house and sell to friends and people they work with and so on.people with very respectable jobs do it on the side.you would be very surprised.

The only problem with these folk (in a lot of cases amateurs) is that they put chemicals into the soil constantly and don't flush it out properly near the end of flowering. That's why there is nothing but bad cannabis herb going around.

If these folk grew the plants naturally under good lighting they don't need the miracle-grow and other chemicals. It would be a lot safer to steer clear of most street/home-grown cannabis, unless you know a professional natural grower. Don't even mention Hash, my old socks are probably mixed in there as well as half the rubber in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

The thing about the legalisation movement is that anyone who's interested enough in smoking weed to start such a movement is probably the last person anyone with a more balanced perspective would want as an advocate

The thing about the legalisation movement is that anyone who's interested enough in smoking weed to start such a movement is probably the last person anyone with a more balanced perspective would want as an advocate

In your opinion only.

More balanced while an alcohol drinker ? even.

You can't just walk into a field or forest and pick up a pint of beer and drink it. In regards to cannabis, you can walk into many a field or a small forest area and pick a leaf from a naturally growing plant of nature and smoke it or make tea if that is a persons liking without the hands of man having to concoct said herb, as is done with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

do you guys still have the legalize group?

No, Ming fecked it up when he went to Brussels.

No, Ming fecked it up when he went to Brussels.

that's a shame .would have liked to help out in some way if i could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

If you support drugs being criminalised then you are supporting the murder of tens of thousands of people every year.

Id like someone to give a good reason why people should not be able to grow a few cannabis plants for personal use any more than they shouldnt be able to brew a bit of beer.

Good point ^.

And alcohol being a more detrimental substance affecting the human brain regarding violence for many people while intoxicated, and it's free for all in Ireland. Just look at every friday and saturday night/morning... it's like a zoo of zombie monkey's jumping and falling and hitting their heads on things, or off other people, and this is accepted by most folk as tolerant and good craic in Ireland ?.

Get them all stoned after a few pints and the only thing on their mind will be the munchies, end of. FIN.

A more placid relaxing community of drinkers smoked into the euphoria of enlightenment of bakedness enjoying their half-pounder with cheese etc... laughing and enjoying the craic, instead of going alcohol mental crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can't just walk into a field or forest and pick up a pint of beer and drink it. In regards to cannabis, you can walk into many a field or a small forest area and pick a leaf from a naturally growing plant of nature and smoke it or make tea if that is a persons liking without the hands of man having to concoct said herb, as is done with alcohol.
    You can't really, first of all the plant only produces the drug a certain time of year during its flowering cycle, leaf won't do anything for you it's the flower you need and I don't think it would work as a tea. Cannabis is essentially an oil that needs to be heated to work as a drug. If you eat a cannabis bud you wouldn't get high.

You also have to interrupt the natural cycle of the plant to get the best effect, if it gets pollinated it's still possible to get high off it but it ends up being pretty weak as the plant puts it's energy into producing seeds. The big buds we've become used to are a plant desperately trying to catch some pollen so it can produce seed.

its a beautiful and amazing plant.
    seeing a healthy glistening flowering girl is a sight to behold

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Originally Posted by Bongalongherb View Post
    You can walk into a field around this time of year and eat magic mushrooms.God made them so they cant be wrong.

I think it should be legal to get this drug therefore you know what you are getting (no soap bars) and also the government can make some cash selling it instead of drug dealers.The war on drugs has been a world wide failure. We need to try letting the government sell it like they allow alcohol and cigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can't really, first of all the plant only produces the drug a certain time of year during its flowering cycle, leaf won't do anything for you it's the flower you need and I don't think it would work as a tea. Cannabis is essentially an oil that needs to be heated to work as a drug. If you eat a cannabis bud you wouldn't get high.

You also have to interrupt the natural cycle of the plant to get the best effect, if it gets pollinated it's still possible to get high off it but it ends up being pretty weak as the plant puts it's energy into producing seeds. The big buds we've become used to are a plant desperately trying to catch some pollen so it can produce seed.

If you eat a bud you would get high. Its the thc that has the effect. The female produces the flower and it produces more thc to attract bees until polinated. Thats why they only grow female plants as it maximises the thc levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Potatoeman wrote: »
    If you eat a bud you would get high. Its the thc that has the effect. The female produces the flower and it produces more thc to attract bees until polinated. Thats why they only grow female plants as it maximises the thc levels.
    It would be a complete waste, you won't get as high as you could off that amount of cannabis. Cannabis has to be heated to release it's full potential. To make hash it has to be heated and put under pressure, when putting it in food it needs to be heated in some form of an oil to get the best effects.

Potatoeman wrote: »

you have to dissolve it first no?
    in milk or butter didn't know you could just eat it raw

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Do you know about NORML ?

From the website;
    Who are we?
    We are a non-partisan, non-profit organisation working for more research into the benefits of the uses of the cannabis plant for all purposes. We aim to provide a support network to those seeking the normalisation of cannabis consumption and to influence a positive transformation to laws enabling responsible medical, recreational & industrial uses in the Republic of Ireland.

I'm the webmaster director for NORML Ireland. NORML Ireland had its first public meeting in June last year. This meeting was to establish 12 new board positions with the organisation. This does not include the founding board positions which Luke Ming Flanagan, Kevin Higgins, Pat Fitzpatrick, Stuart Clark, Dr Cathal Ó Súiliobháin and Dr Garrett McGovern are on.

Here are the board;
    1. Director – Ciarán Maher
    2. Treasurer/Membership – Mici Mulcreevy
    3. Webmaster – Paddy Murphy
    4. Social Media – Cormac McMahon
    5. Community Outreach – Brian Rogan
    6. Medical – Emmett Smith
    7. Legal Research – Glenn Ward
    8. Events – Johnny Keenan
    9. Graphic Design – Johnny Hannon
    10. Hemp – Thomas O’Connor
    11. NORML PAC – Kevin Higgins
    12. Film/Photo Committee – Paul Roban & Sean O'Hara

For more information please visit our website (www.norml.ie) and our new community forum (http://www.forum.norml.ie)

Regards,

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Podge88

Still hasn't happened 🙄

Advertisement