Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPENEIR - Questions about fake FTTH coverage

Options
  • 15-03-2023 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello,

A few months ago I bought a semi attached house built in the 80's in county dublin.

In the house there was no cable or phone connector, after checking the coverage with my eircode, I asked EIR to contract FTTH 1000 mb, when the technician came he told me that it is not possible to make the installation (copper or fibre), because there is no ducting in the street (public area) between my house and the openeir joing box (5 meters in the street).

OPENEIR tells me that the work is very expensive and that they are not going to do it, although I offer to pay for it and they say no.

I contact a civil engineer and I get in touch with the county council, both tell me that as it is OPENEIR's infrastructure, I cannot modify it, it has to be OPENEIR.

So I understand that we would be in a case of FALSE COVERAGE, because although OPENEIR claims to have fibre coverage, OPENEIR would be denying me the installation when they receive an order due to the cost.

has anything similar happened to anyone?

Any solution?

I think that comreg should take action, because OPENEIR is saying that they have 1 million homes with coverage, when something tells me that "installable with EIR policy" are much less. And for OPENEIR to say it has coverage in areas , NBI or SIRO does not do installations. creating areas without coverage that are not counted as such.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ask them to erect a pole near their last joint box and do an overhead drop to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nidek

Hello @phog

The problem is that dublin council council does not allow to openeir to deploy aerial cabling in my area as all cabling is subway with ducting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭clohamon

There is no broadband Universal Service Obligation (USO). Eircom may meet the voice USO with a Fixed Cellular Solution (mobile or mobile + repeater)

Providers overstating coverage is not unusual. I don't know if they're breaking the law.

If you haven't already tried the following then..

If you cannot obtain high speed broadband in your area please contact us to let us know. It would be helpful if you could provide as much information as possible to assist our investigations on your behalf. For all general queries please email Broadband@decc.gov.ie

• Get your TD to ask a parliamentary question (PQ) about when you will have broadband at your specific eircode.

Eircom have until at least 2026 to complete their IFN and 200K programmes before NBI are likely to intervene, but it depends on specific circumstances.

eg D24 DE61

Post edited by clohamon on

Hi @clohamon ,

My problem is the next: if Igo to openeir.ie or eir.ie and I insert my eircode , the system said that I have right to FTTH and FFTC (Max 1 Gbps) , also in vodafone, sky...

the problem is , when the tecnical come to try to do the instalation, it is no possible do it because there is no ducting in the street (public area) between my house and the openeir joing box (5 meters in the street). EIR is refusing to do this, because it is not very expensive.

So my house would be in a grey area. Since according to openeir, I have service, but in reality I do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭clohamon

Unfortunately you don't have a 'right' to anything except a voice USO. (see post above)

If you have no fixed line service or it is below 30Mb/s you should keep nagging the Department until your eircode is confirmed in the NBP Intervention Area. You can see the randomness of Openeir's coverage below. eg D24DE61.

Post edited by clohamon on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

If you are happy to do this why not proceed with installation of the ducting?

A lot of the time these manholes are poorly made and you will be able to losen a block to alloy the duct (hydro dare) in.

After that just order as normal , the tech will turn up and use the duct, no Q's asked

Hi @Whatwicklow ,

It is approx 7 metres and requires a trench to be dug in the side of the road.

The problem is that there is no contractor in Dublin (that I have found) who is willing to handle the openeir network, I have contacted several and they tell me that this has to be done by openeir as it is a public road.

the problem is that eir/openeir will not let me place an order to do so even though I have offered to pay for it.

It's a private network joining the eir manhole, however, I understand a contractors reluctantce, I was considering you get out with the shovel yourself *if it's a grass dig.

If you want connecting and plan A is ruled out then you need to think creatively

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

If there's no network from the box to your property then how is it classed as openeir's network.

I'd try do something as advised by Whatwicklow suggests, get someone to bring a duct from your property to near the openeir box, drill through and then place an order.

Hi @Whatwicklow

the pavement is concrete and there are gas and electricity pipes. i don't think it is possible to do it myself.

• Advertisement

Hi @plog

the pavement is concrete and there are gas and electricity pipes. i don't think it is possible to do it myself.

on the other hand, you don't want to get into legal trouble for doing works in the public road. the street is busy and someone might complain.

I hear you, that complicates it alright. I had pictures a rural area.

Do what you can on the property so and keep at eir.

Best of luck

If you were to order a phone line, they'd be obliged to run a duct to your house under the USO. Once that's in, order FttH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I don't believe that is true any more. The USO has been changed, as the copper network is being retired. I think they can deliver a phone service by radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Similar situation since last October, both vodafone and eirl me sign up at my household address. Open eir techs come out and suggest doing d-merge to more suitable pole. Now open eir tell me its not possible even though fibre line running past my house. If i told first tech to just install it on day one and not switch poles to make it easier for himself then i think i would have broadband. Latest techs to come out just didnt want the hassle of a slightly awkward job and now have to wait until nbi end of 29024 im told on website even though they were out Saturday laying fibre right at pole outside my house. So annoying all my neighbors have it, just because im new build they dont want the hassle to connect me.

Advertisement