Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭The devils

Anyone any advice on what to do next ? Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Assuming you are on the same network then open the url in a browser then the fun begins. You may have to use the IP address for HA i.e. http://192.168.1.xx:8123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Go to the url in your browser and start configuring? You might need to put in the IP instead of homeassistant.local

I'm in work testing out and going to bring home now...when you say go to your browser ? I'm finding it had to get out of the command screen

Cheers

What have you installed it on?

If you bring this home and start it up this will run away in the back ground. You can then open a browser (chrome/safari/edge etc) and enter the url. This will load the login screen and guide you through the rest of the setup. Both machines will need to be on the same network.

• Advertisement

I bought a second hand hp machine.

I'll try like you said above..I'm just have a feeling that when I restart at home it will bring up that same 'home assistant ' screen above

BTW when rebooting flash drive to be left out ?

I'll repost if I have any joy 😂

The HP machine will run the operating system in the background. All the setup is done through the GUI which you will get when putting the url into a web browser.

Plug the HP in at home and connect it to your network. If you have an IP scanner of can login to your modem to get the IP address of the HP machine then type http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8123 into the web browser (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx being the ip address)

This will bring up the login screen and will take you through the setup process.

Tks alm.

As I thought it starts up on the same thing.

I'm wondering is this something to do with boot sequence (probably not). Can I just exit this screen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Nothing wrong there, that's what it's supposed to look like.

You need to open the browser on another PC (mobile phone, etc) on the same network (not on the one with HA installed) and enter the addresses it tells you onscreen😁

Then you can configure the server.

• Advertisement

Got working on android device for about 30 mins and gone again 🙄

Also tried many times to put ip address into browser and no joy..anyway not to worry I'll try again tomorrow

Cheers for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭championc

The idea is that your HP machine should sit in a corner, or attic, or shed, or wherever, and you then connect to it remotely from any other device.

So the idea is that you don't actually use it as your own PC to do other things on. It's essentially a dedicated pc for HA.

If you were planning on using the PC for other stuff, then maybe consider installing Linux Mint or Ubuntu on it instead, and install docker, and put HA in docker.

You are possibly getting totally lost with this last paragraph, but Google and YouTube are full of guides for all of this. I personally just went the docker route, while knowing absolutely nothing about docker 2 months ago

The idea is that your HP machine should sit in a corner, or attic, or shed, or wherever, and you then connect to it remotely from any other device.

That is the plan champion - to leave it somewhere and not touch it

So the idea is that you don't actually use it as your own PC to do other things on. It's essentially a dedicated pc for HA.

That will not be the case only for HA

If you were planning on using the PC for other stuff, then maybe consider installing Linux Mint or Ubuntu on it instead, and install docker, and put HA in docker.

Not happening

You are possibly getting totally lost with this last paragraph, but Google and YouTube are full of guides for all of this. I personally just went the docker route, while knowing absolutely nothing about docker 2 months ago

Thanks i have watched many over the past week or so.

The problem I am having just to get started is :

I have done all the flashing etc as you can see from pic above,

Got it talking to my android phone - only picked up a few devices (but that is work in motion)

With regards logging into HA from a laptop through the browser (which i really want to do in order to setup devices) - I used the same IP address as my android device - https://192.168.0.xx:8123 (xx is the hard wired connection for ipv4 )

Ill check again when i get home

But I'm wondering is it a firewall issue ? , ill check with a different device maybe that will work?, I'm using Microsoft edge browser ?

The HA machine im using is hard wired (it also has wifi) - after going through a couple of you tube clips i could see bot wifi and hard wired addresses.

Thanks again

Wired and WiFi both live simultaneously will cause asymmetric routing. Use one of the other. The requests could arrive on the LAN and return via WiFi.

You could look at scripts to disable the WiFi unless the LAN is offline.

I actually wrote a script to enable wifi last night and it worked, so this evening I will write another to disable 👍

Here's a handy script to initially reset your networking if the PC / Pi cannot ping a selected IP address, and if a reset doesn't fix the problem, it does a reboot. Runs every minute

#!/bin/bash
    x=`ping -c1 192.168.1.1 2>&1 | grep nreachable`
    if [ ! "$x" = "" ];
    then
            date >> /home/user/wlan-reset.log
            service network-manager restart
    fi
    sleep 20
    if [ ! "$x" = "" ];
    then
            date >> /home/user/wlan-reset.log
            service network-manager restart
    fi
    sleep 20
    if [ ! "$x" = "" ];
    then
            date >> /home/user/wlan-reboot.log
            /usr/sbin/shutdown -r now
    fi

Did that and still nothing , very strange I might start over again in a fews week head melted.

Got it for about 3 mins on laptop and then went to log in and nothing

Just see pic attached

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That script will only frustrate you as it assumes that your default gateway is 192.168.1.1. Your screenshot shows that your router uses the 192.168.0.0/24 network.

Suggest you remove the script then open a command prompt window and run ping /n 25 192.168.0.38 and share the output.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 theRed73

Like THE ALM said you need to make sure there is no 's' in the http://... all browsers now default to using encrypted https but HA does not use encryption unless you explicitly configure it to do so. So...

https://192.168.0.xx:8123 won't work

http://192.168.0.xx:8123 will work

It's also likely the reason it worked temporarily via android.... until the browser redirected to https://

Once you get the right URL working you can bookmark it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 theRed73

Unlikely in a home wifi network but some wifi devices now block connections between wifi devices on the same wifi network to improve security. Unifi are one such brand that implement Client Device Isolation.

Not an issue if your HA is only on the hard-wired network but something to bear in mind if it is wifi connected.

The other possibility is that the IP address may have changed if HA was off/disconnected for more than 24 hours. The HA console should show the current IP address, Not shown in your earlier screenshot but that's where it would be.

I disconnected my hard wire connection and just now and used my WiFi 192.168.1.37 and it worked.

Is there a way of disconnecting that HA wifi part and just having hard wired.

Tks again guys all of you 🙈

So previously you indicated the third octet was a zero, but it's now working with a one.

This confirms that you Lan and WiFi are on different subnets.

It's very likely that you cannot go from one to the other without making firewall rule changes / changing some permissions

The third is "0" sorry guys

As I said as soon as I disconnected the lan port from HA it worked on wireless.

I reconnected it to see if the wireless still would work and nope not a thing - then disconnected lan again to be sure and wireless worked on laptop and phone ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sounds like you have both wifi and LAN connected at same time leading to a spanning tree issue. Try disable the wifi and then try the LAN again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

Its a bit expensive but i picked up a starling hub for integrating nest with home assistant via homekit. https://www.starlinghome.io/

Setting up is a doddle, just plug in and use the starling app on an ios device to setup. It then appears as discovered in HA and you just need the pairing code on the starling device to finish HA setup

I could have run homebridge on a docker container etc.. but went for this as was to lazy to set it up. The advantage of integrating this way over the official nest integration is that it gives you access to hot water boosting with nest - ive an automation set up for our cylinder to boost the hot water for 30 minutes if the temp drops below a certain temp. The temp sensor is connected to the eddi which is integrated in HA

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Has anyone got copies of queries they run in Grafana/influxdb to show the nice graphs?

My Shelly is sending the data to influxdb and Grafanna can pull it out but not sure the best way to display it. The "flux" language is a little difficult to get the head around.

Not sure whether this or the Home Assistant thread is the more applicable for this:-

• Has anyone added the kellerz / sunsynk addon into a Docker based HA setup ? In the Docker Image setup, it says you need to specify the location of your options.yaml file, but don't have any anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What yaml did you use to create the docker image? Because in that you're supposed to have an external dir mapped where all of the conf files go.

• Advertisement

I ran the following

docker run -d --name sunsynk-multi \
    --restart unless-stopped \
    -v ${PWD}/options.yaml:/data/options.yaml \
    ghcr.io/kellerza/hass-addon-sunsynk-multi/amd64:stable

but when substituting ${PWD} for any directory, it ends up creating a options.yaml folder / directory rather than a fine in the folder / directory

Advertisement