Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for those quitting smoking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Jeez fairly scary articles there!

I have to say I don't agree with taking medication to quit smoking (except maybe in extreme cases), there are so many other beneficial ways why take pills? Cost aswell is an incentive to quit smoking but forking out for pills then seems kind of pointless in one regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 earlofross

Hello everybody. I have given up since last Thursday. Around 11pm. I have been smoking since I was 14, I am 38 now. I gave up before for about 2 years. I am going cold turkey. The way I am approching it is focusing on the benefits to me. It really is mostly mental and the cravings should be viewed as a challenge to you. Other people's stories on this forum are also helpful. I think we all know what is required. The mind is so powerful, you start to talk yourself in to things. Justifying a smoke for the most spurious reasons. Anyway, good luck to everyone. In the words of Damien Dempsey:
    "love yourself, today"

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

earlofross wrote: »
    Hello everybody. I have given up since last Thursday. Around 11pm. I have been smoking since I was 14, I am 38 now. I gave up before for about 2 years. I am going cold turkey. The way I am approching it is focusing on the benefits to me. It really is mostly mental and the cravings should be viewed as a challenge to you. Other people's stories on this forum are also helpful. I think we all know what is required. The mind is so powerful, you start to talk yourself in to things. Justifying a smoke for the most spurious reasons. Anyway, good luck to everyone. In the words of Damien Dempsey:
    "love yourself, today"

Well said Earl. Am off them now 10 day’s now ,cold turkey. Nicotine is an amazing drug. Currently I am experiencing sore throats, itchy tongue, mouth ulcers (probably from biting my lip!), tiredness, irritability and general ants in me pance. Not going to let it beat me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 earlofross

Yes, I am experiencing all of those symptoms. To me it is a sign of this **** leaving my system. I am viewing it as an encouragement. I really feel this time I am in the right mental state to beat smoking. Best of luck superhooper (although luck has nothing to do with it). Your own strength will get you through it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

I quit about 3 weeks ago... wasn't a conscious decision. I'd run out, and i just haven't bought any more since, so I think I've done it. Being out on the lash hasn't even made me want one, which would normally be my downfall. Time will tell, but I think I've done it

I now thoroughly enjoy being sanctimonious towards my smoking mates :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

I know it sounds hard but cold turkey is truly the best way, if you really want to give them up it WILL work 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Want to add also that i think cold turkey is the better experience to go through as it gives you an idea of the strength of this drug and how badly it tries to reclaim you. Fortunatly once you realise the symptons it isn't that difficult. just getting into the mental gear to take on the challenge is the hardest part for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

Hi All,

New to this website and must say I find this thread great :)

Am off d smokes 17 days now and just wondering has anyone else suffered from itchy, dry, flaky skin since giving up???Aam going cold turkey and must say that the cravings arent bad this time, but my skin is?? :confused:

Thanks for your help in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Hi all,

Im off the fags since friday, simply just got sick of smoking and went cold turkey. Havent had craving or anything,ive a new sense of smell and taste, my skin has improved vastly and the only problem i have is waking up and coughing all the time at night ive a sore throat and flu like symptoms and im bringing up material in the morning - seeing what smoking has done to me from what im bringing up in the mornings makes me so mad at myself and i know i wont ever go back to that disgusting habit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

SnoozyS wrote: »
    Hi All,

Am off d smokes 17 days now and just wondering has anyone else suffered from itchy, dry, flaky skin since giving up???Aam going cold turkey and must say that the cravings arent bad this time, but my skin is?? :confused:

What you have got to always remember is, there is no such thing as just one cigarette. Never put one in your mouth again, NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. And also remember, you have no need to look at people smoking and envy them, because they are the ones hooked on a dangerous drug, not you.

• Advertisement

Hi purple,

Couldnt agree more with you! i have made my choice and am determined to stick with it even if it means turning into bosco in the interim. Am feeling great since quitting and am just wondering if my skin problem is related?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

SnoozyS, we can't really give medical advice here. It's a legal thing. Irish internet laws being as they are.

All I can tell you is that if you are having problems with your skin, you should see your GP.
    Look at it this way; the money you are paying your GP is going towards your health. It's money you would have spent on destroying your health had you not given up smoking. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 krissie

SnoozyS wrote: »
    Hi All,

i hope this doesn't count as medical advice--but quitting smoking in itself does not create skin problems. what may be happening is that your skin is cleaning itself from all the chemicals you used to inhale--in that case drinking plenty of water will clear it up in a couple of weeks at most. but as others recommended, do go and see your GP. people seem to be under the impression that anything that is happening to them is related to quitting smoking! however, unless it is in fact your skin cleaning itself (much like your lungs would), it has a completely different reason. quitting smoking is not a disease or a medication. it has no side effects. it's pretty much a case of what you think will happen will happen.

p.s. i'm a nonsmoker for almost 3 weeks! yay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

I always liked Allan Carrs way of "reframing" the side effects....these aren't caused because you quit smoking, you're feeling them because you started and they will go away as your mind and body heal :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MojoRising

hi all,really glad to see theres a thread to deal with the evil sticks!!off them 2 days today,finding it tough,thinking of getting nicorette gum but really wanted to see if i could go cold turkey.tried givin up b4 but only lasted a week,such a dissapointment to me and my family

Hi MojoRising - good luck with your quit. When I quit, I was finding it very tough; had been smoking for 13 years and couldn't imagine a cigarette free day, let alone a week. 1 more day and all the nicotine will be gone, it should get easier for you then.

This isn't my first quit either, I've failed countless times. But this time *feels* different and I think I've learned a lesson from each of the previous failures (e.g. I can't have one to test myself etc).......think back to what made you smoke again the last time and plan how you might handle that situation or feeling if it arises again.

I can't recommend Mark Jordans "Break the chains" e-book highly enough, it really helped me. Its a free download you can Google for - let me know if you can't find it.

congratulations krissie on hitting the 3 week mark. yesterday was mine and am hardly noticing the days flying by:D but am noticing how my purse is a lot heavier these days

the skin is clearing now, so god knows what caused it....will remain a mystery :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fixernixer

I am at the month mark! :D Gave up on the 1st and am now at the 1 month milestone. The cravings are less frequent now, it was very tough for the first couple of days but now its getting a lot easier.
    Not smoking when drinking is probably the hardest part, god only knows if ye could smoke in pubs I would be back on them.
    I reckon I have saved €200 this month and as a poor student, it makes a difference. Money is not why I gave up though, there is enough reasons for smokes to be in the "bad idea" pile.
    I am happy as a pig in poo!
    Next milestone: 6 months

Found this series of articles on another board, I don't think the link has posted here but I found them good - hopefully they'll help you too!:

http://www.woofmang.com/tales/index.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

i used zyban (and the birth of my first son) 5 years ago to kick the habit. I was a 20 day man and have been off them ever since. highly recommend you talk to your doctor if youve tried everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Noteb

I have just finished a book on how to stop- so I have had my last killer cig.
    I have given up before ( about 10 years aago- but put on weight- which is why I went back on them- stupidly- i should have jsut joined a gym! )

The thougth of what I am about to go through is scary. The drive home from work without them - and then the few I have before bed etc.

I will use this site for support - Hopefully chatting about it can help me! : ) I really want to do this!

Good luck Noteb. I know what you mean, if you can just get through the first couple of drives home and bedtimes without them, you will be fine. I started by marking off smoke-free time on a chart in quarter days (for the first two weeks) and then days, it helped to see how far I'd come. Remember that the craving will go whether you smoke or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Noteb

Sounds like you read the same book as me.
    Fingers crossed i do as well as you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Never posted here but been a long time lurker.

Just wanted to say I've completed 7 days without a cig now (I'm using patches).

I know it's barely anything compared to those who have done months and years not smoking but the best I ever did previously was a mere 6 days. Yes, I'm hugely embarrassed about that I admit but there you go. The last few quits barely got into the 24 hour mark :(

There's been a few times where I felt like wandering off to the shop for ciggies - as I normally do after a day or so - but nope, I haven't weakened this time and I don't intend to.

I hope to post here again next week saying I've passed a fortnight :)

Best of Luck Nyum Nyum, Like you, I had tried quitting serveral times before but always ended up falling at the weekend. I'm coming up on the 6 week mark and believe me it does get easier :) My advice would be to stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Just wanted to say I've completed 7 days without a cig now (I'm using patches).

Well Done !! Started coughing up nasty brown stuff yet ?
    I know it's barely anything compared to those who have done months and years not smoking but the best I ever did previously was a mere 6 days. Yes, I'm hugely embarrassed about that I admit but there you go. The last few quits barely got into the 24 hour mark :(

It's believed that the nicotine addiction is mostly gone after 3 or 4 days as the body has cleared out it's stores. Most of the difficulty giving up smoking is getting over the habit and the social side of the cigarette. It does involve a bit of a change in lifestyle but it's nearly always for the better. You've cracked the addiction side now you have to get over the habit. Find a new habit, walking, diet: anything that doesn't involve smoking or would make it impossible to consider smoking again.
    There's been a few times where I felt like wandering off to the shop for ciggies - as I normally do after a day or so - but nope, I haven't weakened this time and I don't intend to.

Good for you, stick with it. Barring a moment of weakness in week 2, week 3 will see a new outlook for you. The reliance on the fag is gone, things taste better, sense of smell improves and the smell of smoke from others repulses you making you think, jeesus did I smell that bad ? Yes, yes you did !
    I hope to post here again next week saying I've passed a fortnight :)

You'll do it. I'll be looking forward to reading this in a month. Good luck. I'm 4 years off them on March 29th, I smoked 60 a day at the peak. It's in the mind.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Just completed 14 days (at 2:07pm) :):):)

Hope everyone else is sticking to their quits :)

Congrats Nyum Nyum, glad to hear it! AT 9PM tonight, I'll have completed 7 months.....its amazing how time picks up pace, when you get a few days and weeks under your belt it flies by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 boringteetotal

Smoking was the 'life' that surrounded it for me. I gave up that life, the people in my old life and my attitude to life. It was quite blunt but I m glad I did. My breathing was getting very bad also so I more or less had no choice in quitting.

Smoked for three years from 15 to 18.

21 now off them for three years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 boringteetotal

This is not advie for anyone just thought I'd share my way of doing it.

Sounds like I was quitting a drugs circle but not quite extreme.

Remember it your lungs not your friends or your social standing or anything else. Its your life!

Advertisement