Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown bread sticking to loaf tin

• 29-09-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

I often read recipes and it says, grease the tin, well what's the best thing to grease them with. I've been making my own brown bread for a few years now and prob 1 in 3 times the loaf gets stuck to the tin and I end up binning it. I have tried butter and sunflower oil. I was thinking maybe it's the tin itself, only paid 4 euro, it's a 2lb loaf tin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

gary29428 wrote: »
    I often read recipes and it says, grease the tin, well what's the best thing to grease them with. I've been making my own brown bread for a few years now and prob 1 in 3 times the loaf gets stuck to the tin and I end up binning it. I have tried butter and sunflower oil. I was thinking maybe it's the tin itself, only paid 4 euro, it's a 2lb loaf tin.

Small bit of butter rubbed all around is usually enough to have the loaf fall right out afterwards...I suspect your tin too :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I agree that it's most likely your tin. You need to get yourself a non-stick one, and still grease it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

To be fair to the tin it did state it was "non-stick" but I probably need to get a better one, just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing as far as greasing goes. Thanks for the replys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My mum gets liners for bread tins now. They're just fairy-cake cases, just loaf tin sized.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    My mum gets liners for bread tins now. They're just fairy-cake cases, just loaf tin sized.

Woodies sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thats for the tip that Woodies sell loaf tin liners. I was wondering where I could get them.

I also find that brown bread sticks to the tin sometimes
    despite using a non-stick tin and oiling it.

I line the tin with baking paper these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Dust the full tin in flour and tap out the excess after you rub it will butter. The flour will display any bits you've missed. I've never had a problem using this method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

huskerdu wrote: »
    Thats for the tip that Woodies sell loaf tin liners. I was wondering where I could get them.
    They have them in Kitchen Complements too. http://www.kitchencomplements.ie/kc/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=11 or http://www.kitchencomplements.ie/kc/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=14

Or maybe something like this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

A heavy tin sprayed with oil or a silicone bread mould works well.

Lidl and Aldi do quite good spray release oils.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eds

silicon tins are good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 social dancer

I have also been using the tin liners for ages, I never had a problem until last night when the bread stuck to the liner for the first time. I wonder was it because the mixture was too wet. The brown bread turned out fine, except I have to cut a thin crust off to avoid eating any paper liner…..?😯

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I use lard on steel bread tins. Never stick. Make sure there is no water droplets in tin for example, I have found that a tiny amount of water/ moisture, will make bread stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

A little oil rubbed around the tin and a piece of grease proof paper on the bottom. I cut up a load of them to size so their is always some around and when you peel them off the bottom you can use them several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Banzai600

we bake brown bread, we use grease proof paper lined around the tin, and pour in the mix and let it self level, , when its baked hard way through, you remove the bread , take off the paper lining, and turn it upside down and back in oven to finish off.in the tin

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I always use olive oil and never ever had probs, usually extra virgin too as that is generally whats around. Technically extra virgin will not suffice for breadmaking, so for 160 to 200C the bog standard is recommended as it has a higher "smoke point"

If the tin has an unhealthy appetite for brown, try lining it with baking paper, I buy mine at Aldi or Lidl. For a square tin, scrunch it up, otherwise the origami involved is a pain. Funnily enough I have one lined as I was going to try a loaf of soda bread in a tin yesterday, but chickened out and made the conventional flattish, round crossed device. I always bake soda bread and sourdough on baking parchment anyway and it is fine, no sticking problems, no oil or grease needed. For loaves without a tin to sit in, it aids maneuverability in particular when dropping the sourdough into the dutch oven.

Amazon seem to have quite a choice in loaf tins if you are restricted to only one or two outlets where you live.

Advertisement