Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming and Console Gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

marco_polo wrote: »
    +

One Tv in the appartment and a soaps obsessed other half, get a PC.
    Or a new other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Exclusives are by far the biggest advantage consoles have over PC's

God of War III
    Darksouls/Demonsouls
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Red Dead Redemption
    Uncharted 1/2/3
    Killzone 2/3
    Infamous 1/2
    Resistence 1/2/3
    Heavy Rain
    LBP 1/2
    Warhawk
    Gran Turismo
    Froza
    Halo
    Lots of beat'em'ups
    gears of war
    Zelda
    Mario Galaxy + Any other good nintendo games

you get the point.

Sports games like fifa/tigerwoods and racing games are much better on consoles imo. I'd rather play someone like batman/AC/Uncharted on a console than on a pc aswel but thats just me.

Shooters/RTS's/MMO's and most RPG's are generally better on PC, but for games where theres no real difference in how the game plays or looks i think console wins my vote.

Hoping to get myself a new gaming rig early next year, but for now my PS3 is holding up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Magill wrote: »
    And if they werent exclusive, what would people play them on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Sports games like fifa/tigerwoods and racing games are much better on consoles imo. I'd rather play someone like batman/AC/Uncharted on a console than on a pc aswel but thats just me.

Shooters/RTS's/MMO's and most RPG's are generally better on PC, but for games where theres no real difference in how the game plays or looks i think console wins my vote.

Sounds as though controller-input is what you really prefer for racing games and the like (rather than the platform).

Remember, PC has exclusives as well.

Overheal wrote: »
    From that list? You wouldn't be playing the overwhelming majority of them since they're mainly either developed by first party studios, published by the platform holders or were created with their direct help.

That's besides the point anyway, Magill the issue is not what games are available on each platform but the strengths and weaknesses of the platforms themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sports games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Oh how nice it is for someone to link pictures of nice looking consoles then compare them to photo's of the most ancient PC's going... Honestly... Yes, PC's are generally bulky and the overall design/shape isn't exactly going to win technology based beauty pageants but anyone who takes their PC seriously enough for look to be a factor can sort out some impressive custom builds and designs for themselves if they so choose..

Okay...didn't think anyone would take my post seriously.

Most custom PC builds that focus on visuals end up coming out like a boy racer car. They're just short the spoiler on the back.

In all seriousness though, there is very little a console can do which a PC can't. I've been using the Dolphin emulator myself a lot recently and it's absolutely brilliant.

Still, I don't know what it is, but I still much rather do most of my gaming on a console. (Imagine playing Dark Souls on a pc? no thanks)

FPS tends to be the only thing I go back to the PC for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is there anything a console can do better than a PC? I'm just wondering!
    Is there anything a console can do better than a PC?
    Is there anything a PC can do better than a Console?
    Is there anything a Car can do better than a Bike?
    Is there anything a Bike can do better than a Car?
    Is there anything a Cat can do better than a Dog?
    Is there anything a Dog can do better than a Cat?
    Is there anything a foot can do better than a hand?
    Is there anything a hand can do better than a foot?

etc etc

I'm just wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

For me personally, PC is better, and I even play some games that I would usually play on console on my PC (most recently Saints Row 3 ...using my 360 pad)

The difference for me, is I find console more casual, in the sense..

Sitting on a couch with mates in your sitting room - vrs - being at a desk

That's it for me personally, the comfort factor.
    (I know I could set my PC up in my sitting room by the main telly..but...I'd rather have it at my desk)

Overheal wrote: »

Console ? Same reason more people play almost every multiplatform game on console.
    Fnz wrote: »
    Sounds as though controller-input is what you really prefer for racing games and the like (rather than the platform).

Remember, PC has exclusives as well.

Controller-input is one of the reasons yes, as is how much more comfortable/easy it is to just pop on the PS3, sit on the sofa and play away. I thought thats what this thread was about ? Or are we only talking about how a game performs ? Pretty obvious that a high end PC will win this catagory no matter what the genre so whats the point of even talking about it.
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    Might be a good time to highlight the word "Emulator".

Only recently starting using a Dolphin Emulator which Emulates Wii and Gamecube - So yes, here I am playing a "Nintendo Exclusive" copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl on my good ole trusty PC.

Naturally it's not like PC's can churn out Emulators for the most recent consoles (Dolphin trying to Emulate the dated GC & Wii takes quite a powerful machine, so trying to Emulate an XBox360 is obviously pretty impossible right now) but those will come in time, admittedly at a looooooong point way beyond where being able to play a game 'exclusive' to said 'old' console isn't a great feat anymore... But hey, PC's can do it... All in good time, all in good time.

And wouldn't that be illegal ? Surely you don't condone piracy (Goes hand in hand with emulators tbh) ? A major reason why developers support for PC games is fading.
    gizmo wrote: »
    From that list? You wouldn't be playing the overwhelming majority of them since they're mainly either developed by first party studios, published by the platform holders or were created with their direct help.

That's besides the point anyway, Magill the issue is not what games are available on each platform but the strengths and weaknesses of the platforms themselves.

What is the point then ? Like i said, is this thread only about game performance ? Besides, i think most of those games suit the traditional consoles more than a standard PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Technically and for "serious gaming": my desktop PC
    Conveniently: my iPad, iPhone, laptop and PSP.
    Socially and ergonomically(eg on my couch): my console.

I buy games like Arkham City/GTA 4/Street Fighter/Fight Night for my console. For MW3, COD, Ruse, etc I use my PC.
    On the subway/bus etc it would be the iPad or iPhone.

All are suited to different situations and uses. Games developed on one or other are best suited to each depending on game design. ie World of Goo on an iPad is best. MW3 is best played on a PC.
    That is how I judge and use each platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Exclusive to the Xbox or Playstation? And then which one will you buy?
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Most custom PC builds that focus on visuals end up coming out like a boy racer car. They're just short the spoiler on the back.
    Like cars, you get some that modify the outside, some that modify the inside.
    FPS tends to be the only thing I go back to the PC for.
    Every play Command and Conquer on a playstation? It's not fun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I play the PC for serious bizniss. I play the console to troll people. U mad?

What is the point then ? Like i said, is this thread only about game performance ? Besides, i think most of those games suit the traditional consoles more than a standard PC.
    Nah, as I said it seems to be more about the pros and cons of both platforms rather than the games on each since, technically speaking, there's no game out on consoles which also couldn't run on a PC.
    Enderman wrote: »
    I play the PC for serious bizniss. I play the console to troll people. U mad?
    serious bizniss? Coming from the mod of The Sims forum? :pac:

Master of the Universe

the_syco wrote: »

Like cars, you get some that modify the outside, some that modify the inside..

I was talking about the exterior. I'm well aware people modifiy the inside. Sure I do it myself.

Don't think I've ever thought PC components looked cool though...functional would be the main word there. I'd hardly be comparing a new motherboard or some RAM to The Fonz. The Neo Geo AES on the other hand is definitely worthy of that title.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Every play Command and Conquer on a playstation? It's not fun.

Have you ever played Command and Conquer on a Playstation with the official Playstation mouse?

Consoles being 'bad' for strategy and FPS generally comes down to the tools the person has to play the games. No mouse being the big one.

However when you can use a mouse with a console, then the gap gets a bit smaller.

I've always played Cannon Fodder on my Amiga as although I have it for my Megadrive too, you need mouse controls.

However about a year or so ago, I picked up a Megamouse for my Megadrive. Result? The game is now really playable on that console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have you ever played Command and Conquer on a Playstation with the official Playstation mouse?

In 320x240? With loads of slow down? It was horrible :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think it's fair to say the PC is technically the best machine for playing games. There's nothing a console can do that a PC can't do better. I can sit on my couch with an xbox controller and play PC games on a big screen just like I can with an actual xbox.
    My last two PCs have been much, much quieter than any xbox (which is very loud I'm always shocked by the noise out of it) I use my PC has an entertainment centre, I have 5.1 surround sound, a projector and I can control it all using a remote or my phone. Windows 7 along with an SSD hard drive is also a hell of a lot quicker to start up and boot a game than any xbox.

The PC is however more complicated and more expensive but then the pro side of anything is always that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The move does a great job in place of a mouse, i played RUSE and it was brilliant (the controls that is) playing lemmings at the moment and it's pretty dam good too. Really opens up the PS3 to the RTS genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

The move does a great job in place of a mouse, i played RUSE and it was brilliant (the controls that is) playing lemmings at the moment and it's pretty dam good too. Really opens up the PS3 to the RTS genre.

Keep on trollin' bro! Casual wagglan crap has no place in the RTS genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

guys we're falling into the usual flame war, tone it back please

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    guys we're falling into the usual flame war, tone it back please

I'm not flaming anyone but it's like saying players who play competitive FPS should start using Kinect instead of a mouse and keyboard. Motion controllers like the Move should never even be remotely considered for replacing a mouse and keyboard in the RTS genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Console's made it socially acceptable to play video games, play games online and have good friends that you'll never see or be within a thousand miles of.

Before the PSN and xbox 360's(lesser extent xbox) if i told anyone i spent about two hours a night talking and playing games with strangers online I'd be considered a nerd and/or a pedophile.

Now you say it and people ask for your gamer tag.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In 320x240? With loads of slow down? It was horrible :'(

That's the main downfall of consoles - hardware restriction. If the PS1 had a faster way of dealing with that game (or a better port was made) then you wouldn't have those issues.

In the end, consoles and PCs are both just boxes with components. Your only limited by what's inside and what plugs into the box.

Comments like 'x genre works best on x' kind of go out the window when you have the correct perhiperals to plug into the PC/Console and it runs the game at a playable speed.

I'll usually default to PC for FPS (and RTS if I'm playing one), but that's mainly a perhiperal thing, nothing to do with the platform itself.

gizmo wrote: »
    Nah, as I said it seems to be more about the pros and cons of both platforms rather than the games on each since, technically speaking, there's no game out on consoles which also couldn't run on a PC.

Thats a given of course, there is no agruing that a PC can do EVERYTHING better than console can... IF the person has the money/time and can be arsed setting it up.

Its all fine saying "Well i can plug my PC into my TV and use an xbox and play like that too !" but in reality... who does that ? Most of the time its too much of an inconvenience, unless you have a setup that has everything networked handy.

consoles are handy because they're universally identical (Well.. besides having 3 seperate consoles :P) and are just a lot easier for developers to optimise for. Also they generally more social, im sure i could count with my hands how many people on this forum use their PC for multiplayer games regularly (Not online).

PC's are potientally better in almost every other situation... if you have the money/know how to set it up.

Master of the Universe

if i told anyone i spent about two hours a night talking and playing games with strangers online I'd be considered a nerd and/or a pedophile.

Sad thing is, you probably still would. Playing videogames is one thing, but I still think online gaming (and online friends) still reeks of 'NERD!' to a lot of people.

Not that I care, but it hasn't just suddenly become a social norm.

Or maybe it has among the 'youf' and I'm just an old fart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Or maybe it has among the 'youf' and I'm just an old fart.

You must be older than you look, even among borderline scangers I went to school with online gaming is very normal. Mainly FIFA and FPSs but the fact remains nonetheless.

Master of the Universe

amacachi wrote: »
    You must be older than you look, even among borderline scangers I went to school with online gaming is very normal. Mainly FIFA and FPSs but the fact remains nonetheless.

I am a lot older than I look :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm not flaming anyone but it's like saying players who play competitive FPS should start using Kinect instead of a mouse and keyboard. Motion controllers like the Move should never even be remotely considered for replacing a mouse and keyboard in the RTS genre.

You made a dramatic leap there from playing RTS with the Move to using the Kinect for a FPS.

I always get this response from people who think the Move is just a motion controller. I've played through RUSE twice and all the DLC and found the Move controller to be brilliant. Is it precise enough to allow the selecting of a single unit? Yes, can you drag over multiple units? Yes, Can you zoom? yes, can you scroll? yes can you easily access drop down menu's? yes What more do you need for a RTS.

I was able to scroll, spin 360 degrees and zoom in and out with such ease while sitting on the couch that i found it much more fun than sitting at my desk hunched over a mouse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i would love to see someone try play starcraft 2 using a move controller

srs, ****ing love it

• Advertisement

You made a dramatic leap there from playing RTS with the Move to using the Kinect for a FPS.

I always get this response from people who think the Move is just a motion controller. I've played through RUSE twice and all the DLC and found the Move controller to be brilliant. Is it precise enough to allow the selecting of a single unit? Yes, can you drag over multiple units? Yes, Can you zoom? yes, can you scroll? yes can you easily access drop down menu's? yes What more do you need for a RTS.

I was able to scroll, spin 360 degrees and zoom in and out with such ease while sitting on the couch that i found it much more fun than sitting at my desk hunched over a mouse.

There's a reason RTS games aren't marketed exclusively to the console, they're usually incredibly dumbed down (EndWar and Halo Wars spring to mind) and have to cater to people with the bare minimum of peripherals on their console, ie the 360 or PS3 wireless pads. You were able to play an average RTS on your PS3 after having to buy a motion controller and sensor just to (attempt to) emulate the way it'd be played naturally on a PC, bravo. Also, this "I get to sit on a couch" crap people like to bring up in relation to why they prefer consoles is nonsense too, especially when they try to make it sound like sitting at a desk and playing a game is some sort of inconvenience and use phrases like "hunched over a mouse" to further make it sound uncomfortable. Sitting at my desk with my feet up in a big leather chair at my desk with a much beefier system is great; but it's irrelevant. I don't need to bring it up.

Advertisement