Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun choke help

Options
  • 10-01-2014 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Well lads as the title says..... i have a 3/4 choke that came with my gun and i tried to remove it recently but its welded in there, today i spotted that the choke is after cracking in my barrel, tried again to remove it but no way will it come, so i have the barrel off and have it in a jar of oil for the night to see will it budge, i lost my choke key and we have bent a fair few cheap ones already so any help will be greatly appreciated....:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Brazzill wrote: »
    Well lads as the title says..... i have a 3/4 choke that came with my gun and i tried to remove it recently but its welded in there, today i spotted that the choke is after cracking in my barrel, tried again to remove it but no way will it come, so i have the barrel off and have it in a jar of oil for the night to see will it budge, i lost my choke key and we have bent a fair few cheap ones already so any help will be greatly appreciated....:confused:

Try your local RFD he could have keys or even spares so u can get the choke out but if u have bent ones already i would leave a gunsmith at it maybe bcos you could damage the threads in the barrel for any other choke you might want to put in afterwards when trying to extract the broken one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Brazzill

If the over night dip in the oil don't work it will have to be the gunsmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

If the over night dip in the oil don't work it will have to be the gunsmith.

Ya best of luck hopefully it will move it or soften it some bit to get it out.Try wd40 or Wurth Rost off plus or Hoppes barrel and blast cleaner as well 2morro when ur trying to remove they might help. I would advise geting a proper choke key for the make and model of the gun it is bcos a wrong key will damage the slot guides for the choke and prevent u properly gripping it and loosening and removing it.If it doesnt come out for ya see a professional it will be easier in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mackcon

I heard hot oil is the trick for a stuck choke

ace86 wrote: »
    Ya best of luck hopefully it will move it or soften it some bit to get it out.Try wd40 or Wurth Rost off plus or Hoppes barrel and blast cleaner as well 2morro when ur trying to remove they might help. I would advise geting a proper choke key for the make and model of the gun it is bcos a wrong key will damage the slot guides for the choke and prevent u properly gripping it and loosening and removing it.If it doesnt come out for ya see a professional it will be easier in the long run.

cheers lad, hopefully i will get it sorted. i had a browning key that fit perfect for the chokes but lost it when i was out for a walk over the summer. its a 4 notch key i need

• Advertisement

Mackcon wrote: »
    I heard hot oil is the trick for a stuck choke

will try if this oil doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Know someone that had the same issue, ended up putting a torch to it in the end to loosen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sika98k

CRC spray is brilliant for loosening rusted parts. Used in a lot of exhaust centres for those well rusted/salt corroded nuts and bolts underneath a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

will try if this oil doesn't work

What make shotgun is it

What make shotgun is it

Harrington and Richardson Excell Auto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

Harrington and Richardson Excell Auto

I have a 4 notch key for medallist they are possibly the same im in county limerick if you want to try it you can pm me if you like and we can arrange something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Brazzill,
    Time and patience.

I would try alternating slow heat with solvent.

Check out these threads
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70924692
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70944287

I would give it a week of back and forth.

Maybe even firing a few shots through it once or twice during the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

I wouldn't hold it over a torch because you'll damage the bluing if you have it, like mentioned hot oil can help or even several shots in close succession can heat the barrel just enough to budge it. Welding a small bolt to the tube then using a socket to open it can work but only a very experienced welder should tackle it
    Copper paste is great at prevent this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

also, try putting the choke key into a vice and turning the barrel over the key rather than vice versa, you will be using a greater force and increasing the resistance to slip and chew from the key!!

Thanks for all the help lads think i will just shoot till the end of the season and drop it to the gunsmith then!

Advertisement