Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Pavilion G6 2240sa Processor Upgrade

Options
  • 21-08-2014 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hello Boards.
    I have a HP Pavilion G6 2240sa laptop and I would like to upgrade the processor to something a lot better. However I have no idea what processors it can handle. It has Windows 8.1, AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 6 GB of RAM, and a 500 GB Hard drive at 5400 RPM. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 myrscossie

The E2-1800 is not upgradable, its a BGA socket which means its soldered onto the motherboard.
    if you had a G2 socket motherboard you could upgrade to Ivy Bridge i3/i5/i7
    Some AMD sockets are upgradabe FS1r2 and i think the FP2.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dean.

myrscossie wrote: »
    The E2-1800 is not upgradable, its a BGA socket which means its soldered onto the motherboard.
    if you had a G2 socket motherboard you could upgrade to Ivy Bridge i3/i5/i7
    Some AMD sockets are upgradabe FS1r2 and i think the FP2.

Hi my friend.

I am interested in your answer because I have the exact same laptop. I really like this laptop but it can suffer in the performance department.

I have seen many videos on YouTube about removing BGA sockets (see below for a link) and was just wondering if it was possible to remove; would it take another processor? I mean would it fit and would it work okay with the processors you listed (Ivy Bridge i3,i5,i7)??

Also is it a difficult job to insert and remove a processor, providing I had the right tools?

Link: www. youtube. com/watch?v=s38vQxXv0GE

(There's a space in the '.com' & 'www.' because of newbie limitations...)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 myrscossie

If your laptop is to slow and you want more performance then your best bet to speed up your laptop would be to buy a SSD.
    The G2 socket motherboard is Intel only and your AMD socket is AMD only you cannot swap them round.
    your socket is AMD bga socket FT1 there is 1 AMD cpu that is faster than yours and would fit your socket (after desoldered your old one) (E2-2000 1.75 GHz) but it is not worth it as it's just a hair faster.
    You could upgrade your MB to Intel but am not 100% sure it would fit in your laptop case.
    An SSD will probablymake your Laptop faster that any processor upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To put it in plain English, no, you cannot economically or practically upgrade your laptop and you are better off selling it and buying another with a faster processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaskedWolf

hi, i was wondering if it would be possible to change the motherboard entirely since i have an amd cpu and i'd like to switch to an intel. if so, would you have any recommendation for me of a motherboard that would fit taking in count that i have a pavilion g6-2240ca.

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement