Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drain plunger & canes stuck in sewage pipe

Options
  • 08-01-2015 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Two sets of canes & two plungers stuck in pipe (don't ask :-() between manhole & waste treatment system.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Two sets of canes & two plungers stuck in pipe (don't ask :-() between manhole & waste treatment system.

Any advice much appreciated!
    Before we go any further a tip.
    When using rods as you push give the rods a slight twist in a clockwise direction. This causes a tightening effect.
    Can you get into the pipe from the other end?Send down a set of rods with a plunger to push them back. I got called out to dig down to a pipe where they had a similar problem. Before running amok with the JCB i had a go with the rods that were left. When the rods went down they hit the end of the lost ones. After a small bit of luck I managed to twist onto them and pull them out. Granted it was in a straight length of pipe. Worth a shot. Straighten the rods first before sending them down just keep twisting clockwise as you go and twist like mad if you hit anything. Then pull back abit and see if you've latched on.
    Next solution would be to dig down to the pipe( if you know where it runs)wher you think the rods should be. Cut a piece out of the top of the pipe and see what's within. If they're there find a joint unscrew it by twisting off the side that has no plunger attached. Now you can pull the 2 pieces out the hole in the pipe.
    Try your luck screwing on again
    Push them back from the other side
    Get digging. Have you an idea where the original blockage is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Did the rods get stuck before they came apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Quickest way I've ever got a rod back was, cut a coke bottle in half, attach to a rod (make sure it's very securely attached). Put into drain and gently push ,the stuck rod hopefully will be guided into the half cut coke bottle then onto the thread of the rod and keep turning as you push securing rod in drain. Sorry for way I've expained but hope you can visualize it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

^^^^ That's pure genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

get creative n make a diy sewer cam

length of hydrodare and a cheap cctv camera

https://www.flickr.com/photos/j1of2/sets/72157622283492354/

mad m wrote: »
    Quickest way I've ever got a rod back was, cut a coke bottle in half, attach to a rod (make sure it's very securely attached). Put into drain and gently push ,the stuck rod hopefully will be guided into the half cut coke bottle then onto the thread of the rod and keep turning as you push securing rod in drain. Sorry for way I've expained but hope you can visualize it.

Reminds me of fighter jet mid air refuelling using a cone shaped thingy.

degsie wrote: »

Brilliant! Yeah thats it....

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

newmug wrote: »
    ^^^^ That's pure genius!

Dito

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I did hear of this method before buy completely forgot about it. Great idea though credit to the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

sky6 wrote: »
    I did hear of this method before buy completely forgot about it. Great idea though credit to the op.

Effin brilliant IMHO

But don't drink from the bottle in celebration !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

This is an old post, but it came up on Google when I searched for lost sewage rod attachment yesterday and this post was a lifesaver. Sorted in 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

He won't get his 25c deposit back though 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Worked perfectly - I tried to explain the genius of it to my wife after but it was completely lost on her 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Use the old male goes into female explanation, she'll soon get it.

Advertisement