Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslims : the Irish were in your situation : what we did

• 27-11-2015 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I've been working in the uk for over a year now and it's all good . There was a time that being Irish automatically made you a terrorist . Now I'm okay but any Muslims working in the factory are under suspicion !! Very sad but true . But here's some advice to Irish Muslims ... The IRA wAs never defeated by outside forces ... When the people of Ireland marched en mass and said "not in my name " it was the beginning of the end for them ... Can Irish Muslims make us proud and do the same with IS ? Do you agree that Muslims marching en mass will take their credibility away
    ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What credibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

endacl wrote: »
    What credibility?

The credibility of representing Islam . You don't agree ? Let me explain ...when the IRA bombed England in the 70's .the Irish people went out and marched in their thousands with banners stating " not in my name" this took their " credibility" away because it could be put up to them that the majority of Irish people cAme out against them . My point is if Muslims did the same it would take the fuel out of the IS argument that they represent Islam ??? Am I wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    The credibility of representing Islam . You don't agree ? Let me explain ...when the IRA bombed England in the 70's .the Irish people went out and marched in their thousands with banners stating " not in my name" this took their " credibility" away because it could be put up to them that the majority of Irish people cAme out against them . My point is if Muslims did the same it would take the fuel out of the IS argument that they represent Islam ??? Am I wrong ?

You have a point worth considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I've been working in the uk for over a year now and it's all good . There was a time that being Irish automatically made you a terrorist . Now I'm okay but any Muslims working in the factory are under suspicion !! Very sad but true . But here's some advice to Irish Muslims ... The IRA wAs never defeated by outside forces ... When the people of Ireland marched en mass and said "not in my name " it was the beginning of the end for them ... Can Irish Muslims make us proud and do the same with IS ? Do you agree that Muslims marching en mass will take their credibility away
    ???

I find it very sad but true that a lot of Muslims under the cloth in hidden capture speak differently regarding their morals and ethics toward the west. as above, and so below...

You cannot compare the old Irish provisional army to any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think the Irish case was on a much smaller scale. The conflict there involved 2 neighbouring nations. There was always a clear message of what the conflict was about.
    There's no making any sense out of isis. They want to destroy the western world, kill all Muslims that don't follow their "law" and have a global calphite of sharia law.
    It's impossible to compare that to fighting for civil rights and a United Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Depends on what you mean by "take the fuel out of". The number of Muslims who are victims of IS vastly exceeds the number who are supporters of IS so, among Muslims, there isn't much fuel in the argument to begin with. Among supporters of IS, of course, it's axiomatic that IS is representative of Islam, and this conviction won't be altered no matter how many people march. To the IS mindset, the fact that they would march like this would merely be evidence of their betrayal of Islam, so they aren't real Muslims.

It might possibly make some difference to British perceptions of Muslims. (Though, I should note, similar marches in Ireland in the 1970s didn't do much to change perceptions of Irish people in the UK.)

You're right to point out that the IRA were never defeated by an outside military force but, of course, they were neither defeated nor deterred by popular marches denouncing them either. Their campaign continued for more than 20 years after the peace marches.

What led to the cessation of the IRA's campaign was political change to address the factors that gave rise to it. And, the truth is, that's pretty well the only thing that ever stops a terrorist campaign; I don't think any country have ever succeeded in doing so by military force or by internal repression. And demonstrating that terrorists don't enjoy popular support doesn't help much; in the nature of terrorist campaigns, they don't need popular support.

Marching as you suggest might help to change the perception that (some) British people have of Muslims. But I don't know that it will do much more than the current well-established, active and widespread "Not In Our Name" campaign.

And it won't affect IS very much, or at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

What "we" the did was emigrate, and rebuild the countries devastated by a war we didn't take part in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Given the lack of Political Theory, I am closing this. OP, please read the charter before posting here again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement