Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty Referendum 2 - Return of the Gombeen Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Like, for example, the respectful tone of thehighground's last contribution? Discussion is not bullying. Yes, please: in the appropriate forum, which - as I've already pointed out - is the Help Desk.

If you do not deem thehighground's tone as respectful, then do you not believe it prudent, especially as a moderator and leading as an example, it is best to take the issue up with that person in IM? Doesn't the charter suggest that such issues should be addressed in IM anyway?

Discussion is certainly not bullying, but when bullies are involved, as is the case here, it certainly is.

I will address your abuse of moderatorship, which was so aptly addressed in the highgrounds's post, with the Help Desk - thank you for the information; I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Well no, that isn't discussion - but then neither is this. You could of course try bringing up some substantive discussion and seeing how that goes.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

You could stop bullying users and see how that goes also? I would be more inclined to post substantive discussion (although I'm sure our views would differ on that also) if the bullies took a day off. Alas, I'll think I'll take thehighground, and funnily enough, do as he suggests, and not bother posting here anymore. You three (sink, scofflaw, oscarBravo), do more than any no campaign could ever do to drive someone to voting no. Soon enough you'll have driven all the 'no' posters from the forum and you three can argue among yourselves about who is more right about the 'yes' campaign. Thanks; I'll know where to send someone who hasn't completely made up their mind on what way to vote in any potential second referendum. Cheers :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you do not deem thehighground's tonie as respectful, then do you not believe it prudent, especially as a moderator and leading as an example, it is best to take the issue up with that person in IM? Doesn't the charter suggest that such issues should be addressed in IM?
    I don't have an issue with thehighground's tone. I'm curious why you have an issue with three people replying to you.
    Discussion is certainly not bullying, but when bullies are involved, as is the case here, it certainly is.
    If you consider replies to your posts as bullying, I respectfully suggest that an Internet bulletin board is probably not an appropriate forum for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

You could stop bullying users and see how that goes also? I would be more inclined to post substantive discussion (although I'm sure our views would differ on that also) if the bullies took a day off. Alas, I'll think I'll take thehighground, and funnily enough, do as he suggests, and not bother posting here anymore. You three (sink, scofflaw, oscarBravo), do more than any no campaign could ever do to drive someone to voting no. Thanks; I'll know where to send someone who hasn't completely made up their mind on what way to vote in any potential second referendum. Cheers :D

It's strange that in a couple of years posting in the Religion section, in often violent disagreement with the theists, I have never been accused of bullying. Yet up pops a new user here with apparently a sole agenda - to accuse me and a couple of others of bullying - and who, having done that, will now leave in a dramatic huff. I will miss them, and their deliberate imitation of my signoff.

Politics is a curious thing. One might almost think there was some group of people out there who had an issue with boards.ie not being as rabidly eurosceptical as politics.ie.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I'll be bitterly disappointed if that Help Desk thread doesn't materialise.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Also now that I've put forward my suggestion will it simply get written off as crazy Euroskeptic and the No supporters have still not suggested where to go from here?
    I missed this edit.

The problem with your suggestion is that it's simply not gonna happen. The EU isn't going to look at Ireland's fragmented "no" result with its hodgepodge of barely-articulated reasons for voting as we did, and say "you know what? they're right, we need to repeal the Nice, Maastricht and Amsterdam treaties".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I missed this edit.

The problem with your suggestion is that it's simply not gonna happen. The EU isn't going to look at Ireland's fragmented "no" result with its hodgepodge of barely-articulated reasons for voting as we did, and say "you know what? they're right, we need to repeal the Nice, Maastricht and Amsterdam treaties".

I'm not suggesting we repeal them. I'm suggesting that we find away of making the E.U work again and if that means simplifying its powers so be it rather than further integration. If it works as, fair enough, leave it. I'll be happy with that. So I don't specifically want to go backwards. I simply do not want to take their path forward and I've been told we can't stand still. Therefore I'm only left with 1 option.

I still would be keen on a two tier system but can't understand why we would be expected to adopt rules in areas we're not involved in. They would very much be STILL under our own jurisdiction. I dunno how the Norway situation works but I'd rather be completely out than have people make laws outside of their jurisdiction for us, which is ridiculous. Before you quote me that's not to say I'm demanding we leave the E.U Ok? :D
    But the options I've been shown so far are: leave, accept further integration whether I like it or not or stay where we are but not really stay where we are as somehow we'll still have to accept E.U law in new areas even though we rejected it (and therefore are becoming more integrated anyway!).... Given those choices I'd take out as with any ultimatum.

As for the euro skeptic thing, as I said I don't WANT us to go backwards though I'd prefer it to Lisbon. On the being "open to further integration" issue again where does that stop? Extremely hypothetical as it is again I put the horrorfying(sp?) idea (to me atleast) of a European super state. Say we've been "open to further integration" right to the point where this is the next step. Am I still a Euro skeptic at that point for not being open to further integration?

Whats the ground between not wanting to be in the E.U and wanting the E.U to be a state of it's own (final integration)? If it's Euro-Skeptic, fine, I'll get my badge and membership for the next meeting :D

I'm not suggesting we repeal them. I'm suggesting that we find away of making the E.U work again and if that means simplifying its powers so be it rather than further integration. If it works as, fair enough, leave it. I'll be happy with that. So I don't specifically want to go backwards. I simply do not want to take their path forward and I've been told we can't stand still. Therefore I'm only left with 1 option.
    Fair enough - I see where you're coming from, and I disagree with you. The EU works; the consensus among its members is that it doesn't work as well as it could, and that the best way to improve it is through adoption of the reforms in the Lisbon treaty.
    I still would be keen on a two tier system but can't understand why we would be expected to adopt rules in areas we're not involved in. They would very much be STILL under our own jurisdiction. I dunno how the Norway situation works but I'd rather be completely out than have people make laws outside of their jurisdiction for us, which is ridiculous.
    It's the price of free trade. As much as it would be nice to demand free trade without any preconditions or quid pro quos, it's simply not gonna happen.
    As for the euro skeptic thing, as I said I don't WANT us to go backwards though I'd prefer it to Lisbon. On the being "open to further integration" issue again where does that stop? Extremely hypothetical as it is again I put the horrorfying(sp?) idea (to me atleast) of a European super state. Say we've been "open to further integration" right to the point where this is the next step. Am I still a Euro skeptic at that point for not being open to further integration?
    I don't want a European superstate. Luckily, it's not on the agenda, so I'm happy with the current process of integration.

If a European superstate was on the agenda, I reckon it's entirely possible that I'd be euroskeptic. It's not, and I'm not.

I'm not sure that you are, though. The issues identified with the Commission being unwieldy are related purely to the size of the Commission - indeed, rather than it having too much work to do, the problem is that it has too little for 27 Commissioners to manage.

The institutional changes in Lisbon are unrelated to the (rather small) increases in competence - I don't know whether you regard those changes as 'increased integration', but it's certainly possible to have one without the other.
    I still would be keen on a two tier system but can't understand why we would be expected to adopt rules in areas we're not involved in. They would very much be STILL under our own jurisdiction. I dunno how the Norway situation works but I'd rather be completely out than have people make laws outside of their jurisdiction for us, which is ridiculous.

That is how the Norway situation works - it's the price they pay for access to the common market. As I've said before, most of the competences of the EU are related to the common market.
    Before you quote me that's not to say I'm demanding we leave the E.U Ok? :D
    But the options I've been shown so far are: leave, accept further integration whether I like it or not or stay where we are but not really stay where we are as somehow we'll still have to accept E.U law in new areas even though we rejected it (and therefore are becoming more integrated anyway!).... Given those choices I'd take out as with any ultimatum.

Whats the ground between not wanting to be in the E.U and wanting the E.U to be a state of it's own (final integration)? If it's Euro-Skeptic, fine, I'll get my badge and membership for the next meeting :D

If that were the definition of eurosceptic, you could get me a badge too.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I still would be keen on a two tier system but can't understand why we would be expected to adopt rules in areas we're not involved in. They would very much be STILL under our own jurisdiction. I dunno how the Norway situation works but I'd rather be completely out than have people make laws outside of their jurisdiction for us, which is ridiculous. Before you quote me that's not to say I'm demanding we leave the E.U Ok? :D

You've raised a lot of interesting points. I'll try to address them as best I can. On the issue of the EU not working effectively I would agree in a different way as I'm not sure what you think is broken, this is what I think is broken.

Foreign policy is muddled, there are too many positions without clear lines of jurisdiction between them. You have the 'President of the Commission', 'President of the European Council', 'Commissioner for Enlargement', 'Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian Aid' and the 'Commissioner for External Relations and European Neighbourhood Policy' all acting in a foreign relations capacity. It's confusing to outside observers. For instance if a candidate country in the Balkans is trying to restructure it's police force and requires EU help who would they contact? Theoretically it would be in the jurisdiction of all 5 of these people when in reality one could effectively handle it better. Who gets to handle it then?

The Lisbon treaty would have discarded two of these positions and amalgamated the foreign relations commitments of the other two into the final position. That seems like a reasonable way to sort out the problem. The only other way is to get rid of the foreign relations capacity of EU. In that case the EU would no longer be a force for spreading democracy and rule of law. It is far too simple to say it's not working because of too much integration and we should back peddle, when in fact it's not working because there is not enough centralisation.

I think we all agree that if we left the EU we would still want access to the common market, yes? The EU frames and passes all legislation for the common market. Everyone who wants to remain part of the common market has to adopt this legislation. The legislative areas of the EU need reform as they were designed for 15 members not 27. The Lisbon treaty would have reformed these areas by capping the parliament at 750 members and giving it more power and restructuring the voting system in the council. Ireland would not have lost a relatively significant amount of power in either legislator.

The only other option to solve the issues of the legislators besides reforming them is to abandon them as you suggest. By leaving the EU and joining EFTA we are simply leaving the tables where the legislation is made while still having to adopt it all. Not exactly an increase in sovereignty. The only other option is to leave the common market and sacrifice our entire economy which is reliant upon it. So in this instance it's either move forward with reform, do nothing (with a less than functioning legislator), leave the EU and just have a fax democracy or leave the common market and sacrifice our economy. On reflection which of those options do you think is best?

Other areas such as 'justice and policing' and 'security and defence' it would be easier to go it alone than the common market. There are many benefits to remain part of these areas but it would not be disastrous if we left. For instance the recent cross border coordinated gun and drug seizures here in NI and the Netherlands were largely facilitated by the 'justice and policing' structures of the EU. If we left we still could have bi-lateral agreements between us and the 26 other states individually but that would over complicate things and make it easier for criminals to hide.

There was a good article in today's Irish times about how opting out of the EU security policy could harm the Defence Forces and Ireland's foreign influence.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/0909/1220629652922.html

There are issues in these areas that can be fixed either through further integration or abandoning them altogether. The Lisbon treaty would go along way towards fixing the issues through further but not significant integration.

• Advertisement

Hmm. You can kind of see what i-bloodhound means there - oscarBravo, me, sink, like some sort of tag team. Maybe we should collude.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Off-topic stuff moved to the Help Desk, where it belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

sink wrote: »
    Everyone who wants to remain part of the common market has to adopt this legislation.

Turkey has access to the EU's markets and it doesn't have to adopt EU legislation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU-Turkey_customs_union

Sink wrote:
    So in this instance it's either move forward with reform, do nothing (with a less than functioning legislator), leave the EU and just have a fax democracy or leave the common market and sacrifice our economy. On reflection which of those options do you think is best?

I would rather see if we can negotiate the same kind of arrangement the Turks have but if that's not possible I'd vote for option number three - leave the EU and just have a fax democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

O'Morris wrote: »
    Turkey has access to the EU's markets and it doesn't have to adopt EU legislation.

Yes, but that's a customs union. From the same link:
    wrote:
    Goods can travel between the two entities without any customs restrictions. The Customs Union does not cover essential economic areas, such as agriculture, to which bilateral trade concessions apply, services or public procurement.

I don't see any advantages to Ireland in taking a massive backward step like that.

Yes, but that's a customs union.

A customs union is all we need. As long as we can access their markets without any tariffs or other restrictions we don't need anything else from the EU. Turkey has access to the EU's markets but it's not in the EU and doesn't have to adopt any of it's legislation. It's not inconceivable that we could work out something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

A customs union is all we need. As long as we can access their markets without any tariffs or other restrictions we don't need anything else from the EU. Turkey has access to the EU's markets but it's not in the EU and doesn't have to adopt any of it's legislation. It's not inconceivable that we could work out something similar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it we were to revert to a customs unions, wouldn't we lose freedom of movement, services, capital, etc, within the EU? Do you really think that would be a good deal for Ireland? Our services industry would be decimated for a start. And I for one don't want to lose freedom of movement in the EU. Also, what happens with our involvement with the euro currency, one of the strongest in the world. The cons far outweigh the pros here, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I would rather see if we can negotiate the same kind of arrangement the Turks have but if that's not possible I'd vote for option number three - leave the EU and just have a fax democracy.

Turkey's industrial goods are allowed to enter the EU duty free once they reach EU standards. Industrial manufacturing accounts for 30.8% of the Turkish economy. In return the EU has tariff free access to Turkeys 70 million citizens. In Ireland's case with we would get access to half a billion people while they would get access to just over 4 million, somehow I don't see us getting an equivalent deal as Turkey.

The services and agricultural sector accounts for 59.3% and 8.9% of Turkey's economy respectively and are not part of the customs union and an external tariff is placed upon them. In 2002 Turkey agree to implement the Copenhagen agreement, which includes implementing many social and economic reforms in order to gain access for these markets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it we were to revert to a customs unions, wouldn't we lose freedom of movement, services, capital, etc, within the EU?

I don't know. If we did lose them then we'd just have to opt for the fax democracy instead.

And I for one don't want to lose freedom of movement in the EU.
    It would lead to a massive reduction in immigration which wouldn't be a bad thing.

sink wrote:
    Turkey's industrial goods are allowed to enter the EU duty free once they reach EU standards. Industrial manufacturing accounts for 30.8% of the Turkish economy. In return the EU has tariff free access to Turkeys 70 million citizens. In Ireland's case with we would get access to half a billion people while they would get access to just over 4 million, somehow I don't see us getting an equivalent deal as Turkey.

Maybe we wouldn't get an equivalent deal but there's no harm pitching the idea anyway to see if we can get away with it. If we don't get the deal we want we'll just have to opt for the fax democracy set-up that the Norwegians have.

Maybe we wouldn't get an equivalent deal but there's no harm pitching the idea anyway to see if we can get away with it.
    That statement only makes sense if you believe that there's no harm if we don't get an equivalent deal.
    If we don't get the deal we want we'll just have to opt for the fax democracy set-up that the Norwegians have.
    That's a fairly big price to pay just to keep foreigners out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

.Originally Posted by thehighground
    b) You are all very adapt at ignoring posts that don't agree with your own argument (which really amuses me).

Hilarious. Care to point some out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShooterSF
    ...could you define a Euroskeptic?

Yup:
    Quote:
    I ... don't want further integration. Infact I'd be happy to allow the E.U to reduce it's powers...

so if someone doesnt want to continuously give more powers to the eu that makes them an eu skeptic.

well seeing as iam not a yes man, i guess that makes me a proud eu skeptic then

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You could stop bullying users and see how that goes also?

Scofflaw is far from a bully. In fact I would deam him to be one of the most reasonable and informed here, so much so that between himself and sink they played a large role in my change from No to Yes before the referendum. This was purely down to the fact that they conversed and discussed in a logical and decent format providing sources for their positions etc.
    ...rather than further integration..

Can I ask Shooter, in the interests of promoting relevant and reasonable debate, what exactly you mean by "further integration"? Additionally why do (or indeed do you) believe that the EU should be led by the wishes of 850k (approx) Irish people? Based on our result should that miniscule number of people (by comparison to the total population of the EU) really have the power to fundamentally alter the course of the EU?
    utick wrote: »
    so if someone doesnt want to continuously give more powers to the eu that makes them an eu skeptic.

well seeing as iam not a yes man, i guess that makes me a proud eu skeptic then

Eh that's not what was said at all. If someone doesn't want the EU to move forward from this point, but would in fact rather see it regress then they are Euro-skeptic. You can't take the first half of that definition and classify it as the full thing.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Scofflaw is far from a bully. In fact I would deam him to be one of the most reasonable and informed here, so much so that between himself and sink they played a large role in my change from No to Yes before the referendum. This was purely down to the fact that they conversed and discussed in a logical and decent format providing sources for their positions etc.

I appreciate that vote of confidence! I could certainly see where i-bloodhound was coming from in respect of the occasional tag-team effect, but it's absolutely not deliberate.

appreciatively,
    Scofflaw

I appreciate that vote of confidence! I could certainly see where i-bloodhound was coming from in respect of the occasional tag-team effect, but it's absolutely not deliberate.

appreciatively,
    Scofflaw

Multiple replies ffrom different people on a topic is to be expected on a bulletin board though and would only constitute bullying if the person in question was very, VERY sensitive! Many No voters have replied in similar manners, i.e. one after the other. For example aurellio and djbarry are regular contributors and have often posted one after the other to a single post. If what you guys do is bullying then so is that, but it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Multiple replies ffrom different people on a topic is to be expected on a bulletin board though and would only constitute bullying if the person in question was very, VERY sensitive! Many No voters have replied in similar manners, i.e. one after the other. For example aurellio and djbarry are regular contributors and have often posted one after the other to a single post. If what you guys do is bullying then so is that, but it isn't.

Exactly and how do you address this bullying? No yes posters reply? :confused:

It's a debate site, you'll be asked for a little evidence on opinions naturally.

Also if you have problems with parts of the EU, you'll be asked what are alternatives.

EG. O'Morris (not picking on you, at least you state opinions and alternatives! )sees no problem with just a customs union, fair enough, but I'd say he's in a minority of No voters on that one. Some of the best stuff from the EU is on equality issues etc.

A fax democracy isn't much of a democracy to me, in that we wouldn't have a vote on many issues! :confused:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Based on our result should that miniscule number of people (by comparison to the total population of the EU) really have the power to fundamentally alter the course of the EU?

You deliberately make it sound like all the other EU citizens actually voted on this, which they didn't. When every EU citizen gets to vote, and the Irish spoil the pot by being the only state against the grain, then you can go on about us putting a spanner in the works. Until then your skating on thin ice.

turgon wrote: »
    You deliberately make it sound like all the other EU citizens actually voted on this, which they didn't. When every EU citizen gets to vote, and the Irish spoil the pot by being the only state against the grain, then you can go on about us putting a spanner in the works. Until then your skating on thin ice.

If you read the point again turgon you'll see I never said anything about what anyone else wanted. I just asked the question about whether or not the No vote here should have the power to fundamentally alter the course of the entire union, the question itself coming from a post from Shooter who suggested that maybe the EU should just stay as it is rather than try and develop further (at least along the lines of the Treaty), which has always been the way that the EU has gone, i.e. constantly moving in a particular direction. So not only did I not say anything about what others wanted, I didn't say anything about us putting any spanners anywhere, just raised a question re the validity of one of Shooters suggestions in the interest of sparking a debate with him re that point.

Since we're standing on the point of legality that passing an EU treaty requires state-by-state unanimity, it seems extremely cheeky to simultaneously decry the point of legality that other member states ratify according to their own constitutions. Having our cake and eating it, much?

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

it seems extremely cheeky to simultaneously decry the point of legality that other member states ratify according to their own constitutions.

Exactly. That is why, if you read my post again, I did not decry any legality. I simply stated that molloyjh's post gave the impression that the Irish referendum was only one of a number of others (that indecently had said YES), thus apparently the Irish people were blocking the intentions of the other European people ('the EU'). This is not the case - the intentions of the other European citizen's are not known; who knows what these people want?

And before anyone says something about their parliaments voting YES; the very presence of an Irish NO vote in the face of an overwhelming Irish parliamentary YES shows that there is a divergence between people and reps.
    If you read the point again turgon you'll see I never said anything about what anyone else wanted. I just asked the question about whether or not the No vote here should have the power to fundamentally alter the course of the entire union.

Well all Im saying is that this "minuscule" amount of people were the only ones to express their view on it. At the end of the day, imo, the EU is a state of citizens, not a state of states. These Irish citizens who voted NO dont seem to have blocked any European citizens who voted YES, simply because there were no such votes.

I apologize if the impression I got from your post was in conflict with what you intended to communicate.

• Advertisement

Exactly. That is why, if you read my post again, I did not decry any legality. I simply stated that molloyjh's post gave the impression that the Irish referendum was only one of a number of others (that indecently had said YES), thus apparently the Irish people were blocking the intentions of the other European people ('the EU'). This is not the case - the intentions of the other European citizen's are not known; who knows what these people want?

Which is a fair point...but...
    And before anyone says something about their parliaments voting YES; the very presence of an Irish NO vote in the face of an overwhelming Irish parliamentary YES shows that there is a divergence between people and reps.

...this, on the other hand, is sliding rapidly back towards the "have the cake and eat it" position. Their governments voted Yes, and that's the way they ratify things. If the various peoples of Europe aren't happy with their systems, they could, and should, have changed them themselves.* If they are happy with them, then how they might have voted in a referendum they didn't have is irrelevant, and that they didn't have referendums is their choice.

* In saying that, I am not saying that referendums on the Treaty would not have been popular. I am saying that, even while popular, they do not seem to have been important enough to produce any serious public pressure. While there were pressure groups calling for referendums - which should have served as the nuclei and focal points for such public pressure - their support seems to have been measured only in handfuls, despite the polls that showed people would like a referendum if that were an option. Sometimes it is necessary to distinguish between the will of the people and the whim of the people - the latter being stuff they say they'd like but can't actually be arsed doing anything about.
    Well all Im saying is that this "minuscule" amount of people were the only ones to express their view on it. At the end of the day, imo, the EU is a state of citizens, not a state of states. These Irish citizens who voted NO dont seem to have blocked any European citizens who voted YES, simply because there were no such votes.

Once again the cake problem. The EU is not a state of anything, but a union - and it is undoubtedly, and explicitly, a union of states, not citizens. Otherwise, we would have had a single EU-wide referendum on the Treaty, or the Treaty would have required only majority ratification by QMV rules. Neither of these things is the case - the Irish No prevents the entry into force of the Treaty because the EU is a union of states, and any state can block the Treaty.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement