Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You hate Religion. I get it.

Options
  • 19-03-2010 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055855125
    at this stage, i have no respect for anyone who goes to mass anymore. i used to think hey, live and let live, but it has gotten to the stage where anyone who attends, and gives them money is a fcuking idiot. they raped you, they raped your kids, and they blame it on satan. and then they asked for you to donate the money to pay the legal bills. and you still go, and you still give it to them. fcuk all you catholics.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055856350
    The simple fact is that your god would forgive the rapists/murderer's, rather than an innocent atheist or a practising homosexual.

If you cannot see the problem in this, or how this highlights the stupidity of religion then go to mass. Prop up this insane bronze age mish mash of unknown writings.

Anyone who still attends a church is a fool.

Shame on any parents about to hand their kids over to this communion and confirmation b0ll0x. Open your minds and do something productive instead.
    My intention is not to single out the Authors of these comments and I have omitted their names.

The fact is, its a sentiment that is apparently being shared by more and more people in the last month, and its bleeding out into all corners of Boards. Even, the Games Category:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055858369
    I've no problem with people being religious as long as they don't force it on to others, including children. He's looking for something to use to brainwash kids, imo religion should not be forced onto kids it should be something they can make a logical decision on when they've reached a mature age.
    There is no evidence to support this accusation, by the way.

But seeing it in the Games Category of all places has set off alarm bells. Usually this kind of unfettered outrage is reserved exclusively for Politics After Hours or even the Religion Category.

I don't know what else to say about it. Enough is enough. I'm an Atheist but even I am sick to death of the way Current Events have manifested in almost a pure rage against all/most forms of Faith and Religion. In particular Christianity. I realize this is an Irish site, with Irish people, and I am fully aware of the Gravity and the Culture of recent events but its clear that cooler heads need to prevail.

Condemnation for the Catholic Priesthood is one thing; Sectarian outrage toward everyone who practices a belief in God is quite another. It needs clamping down on before it grows wildly out of control.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boards is a site with a youngish demographic and the yoof are revolting against the Catholic Church who have disgraced themselves at every turn. The anger will pass but only in a substantial way when the RCC changes.

Did you mean secular outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sectarianism,

"is bigotry, discrimination or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion or the factions of a political movement."

Secularity is about the separation of Church and state, not Atheists up in torches and pitchforks. At this point its no longer that much to do with the State's involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I have to disagree with you here Overheal. In my opinion the users have the right to complain about whatever it is they want to complain about as long as it's done in the apropriate forums which your first two links are. In regards to the third link the moderator in question had everythin under control, he warned yourself and another user when an argument was bringing it off topic.

Mods on their respective forums are not incompetent and will deal with any case that deem to be over the top.

I think you are also being harsh claiming that its a hate for the religion as the reason for peoples posts. TBH its more shock and disbelief and can we blame people for feeling like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Like Sarah Palin and Jedward, it will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Attack the Pope, not the parishioners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Overheal wrote: »
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055856350
    My intention is not to single out the Authors of these comments and I have omitted their names.

The fact is, its a sentiment that is apparently being shared by more and more people in the last month, and its bleeding out into all corners of Boards. Even, the Games Category:

But seeing it in the Games Category of all places has set off alarm bells. Usually this kind of unfettered outrage is reserved exclusively for Politics After Hours or even the Religion Category.

I don't know what else to say about it. Enough is enough. I'm an Atheist but even I am sick to death of the way Current Events have manifested in almost a pure rage against all/most forms of Faith and Religion. In particular Christianity. I realize this is an Irish site, with Irish people, and I am fully aware of the Gravity and the Culture of recent events but its clear that cooler heads need to prevail.

Condemnation for the Catholic Priesthood is one thing; Sectarian outrage toward everyone who practices a belief in God is quite another. It needs clamping down on before it grows wildly out of control.

Does it?

Tell me, on what assumptions do you base the rather histrionic claim that it will 'grow wildly out of control'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't think it is anti religion, I do think it is the populus being sick of the catholic church and it is time this happened. It's a big growing pain for the country and it will wash over into other forums.

can we blame people for feeling like this?
    No I can sympathize with it, but to direct it at the wrong people in the wrong places in the wrong way, is what Im taking exception to.

Strikes me fairly familiar of some pretty Real violence aimed at bystander Muslims in the wake of 9/11. Parishoners were not responsible for the cover-ups. I don't think its fair to Hang them. Im not suggesting anyone will take to violence but in the context of this Website things are going to get messy.

Mods on their respective forums are not incompetent and will deal with any case that deem to be over the top.
    Of course not. The Politics and AH mods and the Religion Mods are used to this on a weekly basis and thats why there was no reason to have this discussion sooner. The bleed-over is an issue though and worth raising with Feedback.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    I don't think it is anti religion, I do think it is the populus being sick of the catholic church and it is time this happened. It's a big growing pain for the country and it will wash over into other forums.
    Over another cup of coffee I think you're dead right. I guess its not how I imagined the country would become more Secular but it is the nature of it. Still, if its going to be washing through the Forums, it shouldn't be left carte blanche; accusing other users of being sheep and rape facilitators etc. and other personalized assaults are just some of the stuff being seen already in a pretty large volume.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Still, if its going to be washing through the Forums, it shouldn't be left carte blanche; accusing other users of being sheep and rape facilitators etc. and other personalized assaults are just some of the stuff being seen already in a pretty large volume.
    I'd agree with this.

We've seen a lot of this in the last fortnight in A&A. A lot of 'righteous anger'. We had to sticky an "Ongoing religious scandals" thread to stop new posters clogging up the forum with rants.

Posts like you linked to above wouldn't have gone unaddressed. Don't get me wrong - the catholic church is (imo) an insidious organisation but at some point we all think "You hate the church. I get it." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Parishoners were not responsible for the cover-ups. I don't think its fair to Hang them.

From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of anger that people are still supporting the catholic church, applauding certain clergy, giving money and defending their actions. I think there is an awful lot of very angry, disappointed people who seem to be directing their rage at anyone who is associated with the church viewing them as facilitators or supporters, not always a fair representation but there has been quite a few defenders of church actions stirring things up as well.

I agree it has become a bit all pervasive and anti-church rants seem to appear in the strangest places for very little reason but I suspect that will stop when the natural conclusion of events is reached. I hope.

• Advertisement

It can be an eye-sore but I think it's better to see and be reminded of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I wish it was a growing pain. At least growing pains are encountered during changes. But in six months time, this will all be off the front pages and with the tragic exception of the victims, the focus will be on something else.

In the meantime, if someone wants to burn something down or nail someone up, I'd rather it wasn't us.

Strikes me fairly familiar of some pretty Real violence aimed at bystander Muslims in the wake of 9/11. Parishoners were not responsible for the cover-ups.

I disagree people knew and didn't go to the garda and said nothing.
    There were two dodgy priest over the years when I was growning up and it was known that 1 wasn't to be left alone with boys and the other wasn't to be left alone with girls. So yes in relation to this I do blame the laity and everyone else for not calling a halt.
    Of course not. The Politics and AH mods and the Religion Mods are used to this on a weekly basis and thats why there was no reason to have this discussion sooner. The bleed-over is an issue though and worth raising with Feedback.Over another cup of coffee I think you're dead right. I guess its not how I imagined the country would become more Secular but it is the nature of it. Still, if its going to be washing through the Forums, it shouldn't be left carte blanche; accusing other users of being sheep and rape facilitators etc. and other personalized assaults are just some of the stuff being seen already in a pretty large volume.

When this happens report the posts and push for action on them.
    Sparks wrote: »
    I wish it was a growing pain. At least growing pains are encountered during changes. But in six months time, this will all be off the front pages and with the tragic exception of the victims, the focus will be on something else.

In the meantime, if someone wants to burn something down or nail someone up, I'd rather it wasn't us.

I honestly pray that this will not be the case, that the awfully suffering of children and adults who were those children and their family who have had to live with the fall out will not be for nothing and there will be some justice.

I honestly pray that this will not be the case, the the awfully suffering of children and adults who were those children and their family who have had to live with the fall out will not be for nothing and there will be some justice.
    Tanj. Not round here, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

there's a real lack of common courtesy, and I'm a complete atheist

I believe in free speech etc in the larger sense but there are lots of things disallowed on this site to preserve the sense of community etc

Religion provides great comfort for a lot of people, there's a lot of people I know that would be in a terrible state without it

Basic jist is everyone can have their objections but don't assume people are idiots and condemn them and insult them as being such because of their beliefs

This goes for religious and atheist beliefs alike

It really is akin to attacking the poster...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Since you quoting me here , of which my comment was in fact a response to you after you turned the thread into a religious debate by attacking my comment after making a similar one of your own... I think I should explain that A:

Indeed the guy did not say he was looking for the game for kids but it was implied. He refused to take anyones realistic input seriously.

Also my opinion on religion has nothing to do with the recent outrages etc btw.

Of all places? This is going to come up anywhere religion is brought up. How is that so shocking. There's all sorts of issues regarding the gaming industry and religion.

I'm no militant atheist , I don't even consider myself atheist. But I'm not gonna tip toe around subjects either when the facts are there.
    In regards to the third link the moderator in question had everythin under control, he warned yourself and another user when an argument was bringing it off topic.

Yeah he warned not to post again about it, so overheal thanked his post, then proceeded to edit his previous post so as to add a dig with out making a new post...:rolleyes: Don't think that wasn't spotted

CF: Retr0gamer has already dealt with the thread. Its locked now.

I wrote this thread to discuss the situation as it affects the Entire Web Site. If you want to discuss the particulars of a single thread discuss it with Retr0gamer or the Help Desk.

I made an edit to my last post @ 14:10. Retr0gamer banned the argument @ 14:10. Consipiracy?!?! No. Actually after I read Retr0s comment I PMd him about making this thread for the outlined reasons.

I don't pretend to know your Posting Habits CF. Except to say you spent 5 minutes or more writing the above post, between however long it took to write the original @ 21:20 and the final draft @ 21:25. I guess I need to ask: Do you refresh the page every time you make an edit?
    When this happens report the posts and push for action on them.
    On a broad scale, I thought that was what I was doing here. By pooling together what look to be themselves like isolated incidents into one issue it calls attention to the need for a unified approach on a unified problem: The moral outrage in the wake of the RCC goings on.
    There were two dodgy priest over the years when I was growning up and it was known that 1 wasn't to be left alone with boys and the other wasn't to be left alone with girls. So yes in relation to this I do blame the laity and everyone else for not calling a halt.
    Yeah but like so many other things you cant blame Bob for something Jill knew about and covered up/did her best to ignore. Im sure you would find the majority of Practicing Catholics had nothing to do with it whatsoever. Im not talking about "I heard on the Radio that a Bishop in Waterford was XYZ'ng the Altar Boys" I mean more like your own case, "I knew my Priest couldn't be left alone with boys but I said nothing".

I could see why and how, if Jill started a thread and finally said to the community "I knew and I said nothing" I could see how she could expect to see some near-justified scorning levied her way. But not Bill, who was not involved in any way whatsoever, and all he asked was where he should get his Daughter Baptised, etc.

Ultimately its unreasonable to demand all Catholics Boycott the Catholic Church or be scorned by society. If you were a Devout Catholic, the RCC has a monopoly on your faith, quite frankly. But *that* is a discussion probably best elaborated in Christianity to be discussed among Catholics themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

lol @ religious intolerant fundamentalist Athiests :pac:

So much for live & let live

Ultimately its unreasonable to demand all Catholics Boycott the Catholic Church or be scorned by society. If you were a Devout Catholic, the RCC has a monopoly on your faith, quite frankly. But *that* is a discussion probably best elaborated in Christianity to be discussed among Catholics themselves.

Is it?
    Surely it is time to think What Would Jesus Do?
    He condemned and walked away from the Temple and it's corrupt priests and Pharisees.

We had the Celtic Catholic Church here before the Roman Catholic church and it's something which if the people wanted could go back to it again.
    So no the RC does not have a monopoly on Catholicism, hence is being called Roman Catholicism.

I get that people may view boards.ie as an escape on the internet to have discussion and get away from what is going on in the world but when it's something like this, it can't be done imho.

It's something we have to bear with, but I am sure that any posts which break the forum and sites rules will be acted on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Is it?
    Surely it is time to think What Would Jesus Do?
    He condemned and walked away from the Temple and it's corrupt priests and Pharisees.

We had the Celtic Catholic Church here before the Roman Catholic church and it's something which if the people wanted could go back to it again.
    So no the RC does not have a monopoly on Catholicism, hence is being called Roman Catholicism.

I get that people may view boards.ie as an escape on the internet to have discussion and get away from what is going on in the world but when it's something like this, it can't be done imho.

It's something we have to bear with, but I am sure that any posts which break the forum and sites rules will be acted on.

In fact not to long ago I had a very interesting chat with a fairly prominent Protestant priest in Kildare who is also quite outgoing in correcting people who think the roman catholic church monopolises the term "catholic".

That said- this is kinda annoying me too.

I think it's an interesting shift in the dynamic of the country and as always AH is the mirror of Ireland's soul. When we were rich, anyone who said something mildy against anti immigration / sexism etc was instantly labelled a pc fool.

Now it's swung the other way and people are hopping on the anti church train.

Now don't get me wrong they deserve it and I do feel personally I couldn't be happier than if the RC were run out of this country but I can also see it becoming the basis of boring, repetetive thoughtless attacks the same way "PC brigade" was back when we all had money and could look down our nose at Johnny Foreigner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Arent the majority of the church sex abuse scandals connected to the Irish catholic church, and Boston, which is really another extended parish of it?

I'd rather be part of the roman catholic church than the celtic one if this is the case.

Arent the majority of the church sex abuse scandals connected to the Irish catholic church, and Boston, which is really another extended parish of it?

I'd rather be part of the roman catholic church than the celtic one if this is the case.

This isn't the place for it but there is some amount of evidence that Roman Catholic hierarchy all the way up to the current pope when he was head of the congregation for the doctrine of the faith were aware what was happening and were implicit in the cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

People need to separate god from their anger for the catholic church.

Im more than disgusted by the church and im not going to go on about them, they only anger me, but you absolutely cannot disrespect and look down your nose at people that have faith in a god. I dont believe in a god, perhaps some day i will find faith again, but my rational thinking brain when switched on cannot reason one.

But people are entitled to have a faith, and the comfort and solice it povides them is unquestionable.

the pope has finally made a statement.

I'd say this is about to kick into overdrive.

I've read it, weasely worded is the best description of it so far.
    Personally I often wonder why the country has not gone shifted to The Episcopal Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

the pope has finally made a statement.

I'd say this is about to kick into overdrive.

Poor AH mods. They are gonna have a great day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Belief in a higher being is one issue. It is superstition at best, a comfort blanket for people who are uncomfortable with unanswered questions and would rather make things up instead. It is silly but harmless.

But a more serious thing is showing support for an organisation that has consistently covered up the sexual abuse of children, and STILL refuses to seriously address this. The only true agendas the Catholic Church has ever had (and still has) are self-protection and self-propogation. Anyone who still shows support for them needs to take a reality check. Anyone who gives them money should be ashamed at what they are supporting.

I don't hate many things in life. I don't hate religion. But I wouldn't blame anyone for hating the Catholic Church.

. Im sure you would find the majority of Practicing Catholics had nothing to do with it whatsoever.
    "Majority" in this case could quite possibly be qualified by "slim"...
    Ultimately its unreasonable to demand all Catholics Boycott the Catholic Church or be scorned by society.
    Well, there's the minor point of comparing the asserted primacy of canon law over state law and how that contrasts with the criminal codes surrounding treason...

And there's a line between demanding boycotts and demanding that the raping of children be protested against, investigated and the culpable punished...

WindSock wrote: »
    lol @ religious intolerant fundamentalist Athiests :pac:
    I just love how "atheist" is always translated to "has no faith" instead of its correct translation "has faith there is no god"; and I love even more how that then gets transmuted into "have a crack at them, they're not allowed to get irate when someone questions their religious stance 'cos they don't got none, hur, hur, hur".

It makes for great conversations in the real world when you tell a religious person that you're not getting married in a church. Views on how marriage requires a church to be 'real' are always amusing to hear. (And let's not discuss the mirth that emerges from discussions on the benefits of baptism/communion/confession/confirmation of your children, that really would have folks rolling in the aisles).

Apropos to the OP, if people ditched that attitude in here, it might reduce the magnitude of the outrage from those of us that don't believe in teapots orbiting mars when those who are pro-easter-bunny express an opinion we find difficult to accept. (whoops, I appear to have exercised the belief that turnabout is fair play...)

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    I dont believe in a god, perhaps some day i will find faith again
    *ahem*
    That's pretty much what I was talking about.
    Not believing in a god != not having faith.

Advertisement