Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like to have a gun?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

I would like to have the baseball bat. I would beat him to an inch of his life.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aaakev wrote: »
    There are so many mistakes in your post I don't even know where to begin.....

My thoughts exactly.

All relevant firearms application and storage requirements are very well explained here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

aaakev wrote: »
    Good job this is boards.ie then and not the Australian version :rolleyes: its not a requirement in ireland so it you that is wrong.....

Edit; looking at your posts I see you are in Australia so obviously your requirements are different than ours

Well it was you who quoted my post which you didn't have to, I didn't see anywhere on this thread that said its country specific. In relation to my original post you were wrong.

Although I do admit I let you walk into both barrels (Pardon the pun)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Egginacup wrote: »
    A taser would be just as effective and I wouldn't have to worry about my kids blowing their heads off with it. I could then tie up the burglar and beat the bejaysus out of him after he came to from the voltage blast.

Dude, that's bad form. That's like shooting a guy in the dick. At least untie him first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well it was you who quoted my post which you didn't have to, I didn't see anywhere on this thread that said its country specific. In relation to my original post you were wrong.

Although I do admit I let you walk into both barrels (Pardon the pun)

True it was never specifically stated but this isnt the Australia forum so anyone would assume we are talking about ireland!

Pardoned ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

What you need is an elegant weapon, something for a more civilized age , not as clumsy or random as a blaster.

The last thing you want a burglar to think is that you are civilised.

http://m1.i.pbase.com/v3/22/22/3/51708001.6861.jpg

Wheres the option for "Already have a gun(s)"?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

If guns were legal I'd probably buy one for self defense, but I'd rather they be totally illegal, guns are dangerous and shouldn't be in the hands of the public unless they have a legitimate use for them. The only time I'd want a gun for self defense is to defend against other people who have guns.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

My answer varies depending on how recently I've played post apocalyptic video games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

If guns were legal I'd probably buy one for self defense, but I'd rather they be totally illegal, guns are dangerous and shouldn't be in the hands of the public unless they have a legitimate use for them. The only time I'd want a gun for self defense is to defend against other people who have guns.

Illegal or restricted? Because they are already restricted in the sense that you have to apply for and have good reason to get a licence. Currently the only legitimate reasons are target shooting or hunting or both

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If guns were legal

I hate to break this to you but they are legal.
    At present there are over civilians own over 200,000 legally held firearms in the Republic of Ireland.
    I'd probably buy one for self defense

That would be illegal in Ireland, and rightfully so in my opinion.
    The last thing we need in Ireland is paranoid people with guns to "protect" themselves.
    but I'd rather they be totally illegal

I'm not so sure that would achieve anything, but I won't get into that debate :)
    guns are dangerous and shouldn't be in the hands of the public unless they have a legitimate use for them.

That already is the case.
    To own a licensed firearm in Ireland an individual has to jump through quite a few hoops.
    The Gardai have provided lots of information and links dealing with this here.
    The only time I'd want a gun for self defense is to defend against other people who have guns.

Yes, an arms race is just what we need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

2011 wrote: »
    That would be illegal in Ireland, and rightfully so in my opinion.
    The last thing we need in Ireland is paranoid people with guns to "protect" themselves.

What's there to be paranoid about? You got a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

we will agree to disagree

You are wrong!

An unrestricted shotgun can be stored with a trigger lock and broken and parts stored separately.

Any more than 1 shotgun needs a gun safe.

This is the law, not the supers choice. read any of the links provided.

But the super can decide that your one shotgun needs a safe.. Now you could appeal that in court but why bother?

The legislation is the minimum security needed and the super can specify more.

Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

no there have been many successful court cases that have overridden superintendent's they are there to uphold the law not to pick and choose what sections are relevant depending on their mood i successfully got my pistol even with the super saying no

The courts have only overturned the Superintendents' decisions when they've not been lawful (which has happened). A lot of cases have seen the Superintendent's decisions upheld. And requiring an applicant to have more security than the minimum dictated by law is not unlawful, and it's fairly routine.

Pistols cases seem to be especially prone to confusion or the Idontlikethelookofthat prejudice, but mentioning them as though they were the rule instead of the 0.3% of cases that they are is a bit disingenous in this forum where most posters won't have that bit of context.

Tigger wrote: »
    A Hurley will only hurt someone a bit unless you get a free strike at them
    ...well, that gives some insight into why target shooting's had no deaths and only one (quite minor) injury in Ireland since 1850 while A&E's might as well have GAA-only wards at various points during the year.

Seriously lad, you can't poke someone in the head with your fist without risking delivering a serious or even fatal injury, let alone with a hurl. Those things are literally lethal, even if you jab with them instead of trying a golf swing.
    Lou.m wrote: »
    You must agree to a complete background check by police and also allow them to consult with your doctor or a psychiatrist to make sure you are not a nutjob.
    That bit's true...
    You must get written statements to say you are of good mental and physical health.
    ...but that bit's not.
    If you have two guns
    Two fireams from the restricted list - if they're unrestricted, it's more than two before you hit the next step up in security.
    To be honest a lot of people who want to own guns would never be allowed to in this country.
    I strongly suspect (but can't prove) that is true...
    ...but I also strongly suspect that the majority of people in Ireland don't want to own guns. A bit of paintball or clay pigeon now and then for a stag do is about the most that most people ever come into contact with firearms and they don't have an urge to increase that. And that's cool, to each their own.
    Crossbows, spearguns and all airguns with a muzzle velocity of over under one joule are not restricted.
    Crossbows are legally restricted firearms in Ireland (mainly because of an oversight by legislators) and you have to apply to the local Chief Superintendent to get a licence for one.
    It might seem restrictive but it helps prevent columbine incidents etc.
    I keep hearing this; I still don't think it's true. Frankly, I don't think anyone knows why those mass shootings happen; how to stop them; or whether they're likely to spread from the US where they're most concentrated. I suspect (but can't prove) that the culture surrounding the use of firearms and how strongly training and viewing them as sports equipment or tools instead of a macho accessory is emphasised by that culture plays far more of a role in preventing that kind of thing than any law anyone anywhere has ever drafted or passed. I pretty much know that we're not likely to ever have a sane, rational argument about it though, let alone a debate. We never get more than three or four posts in before someone adheres to Godwin's law, or starts calling someone names, or starts making "I know there's no evidence, but it's my strongly held belief that..." arguments, at which point you're wasting energy trying to contribute to the train wreck.

Egginacup wrote: »
    I could then tie up the burglar and beat the bejaysus out of him after he came to from the voltage blast.
    You know, I'm pretty sure that's the legal textbook example used to describe the line where you go from self-defence justified under castle doctrine (which has been the law governing this kind of thing in Ireland since, well, actual castles); to outright assault and battery which the burglar is then entitled to prosecute you for and which you could conceivably go to jail for.

(This has happened in the UK, more than once - the Terry Martin case is the one most people remember, but the one that stuck in my mind was where a garage owner caught someone breaking into his business and knocked him out and tied him up. That bit was okay; it was the bit where he threw the burglar into the inspection pit, soaked him in petrol and set him on fire that got him convicted...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Boskowski wrote: »
    Yes I would. But then I know I could be trusted to have a gun.

Would I like everyone to have a gun?
    Absolutely not. And if that means I can't have a gun either then that's cool with me.

What happens if you slowly go crazy? You'll still have the gun....

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

whirlpool wrote: »
    Imagine it. The middle of the night, you're sleeping in your bed, when you're woken up by a burglar in your room with a baseball bat. The burglar threatens you.

Maybe your young daughter is asleep in the next room.

You don't have a gun near your bed.

Imagine it.

Now imagine if you did have a gun near your bed.

Would you rather have a gun or not have a gun in that situation?

The Poll question is and the main question of this post is Would you like to have a gun?

Id shoot the ****er dead before he knew what hit him/her.

Advertisement