Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

First post here has a great summary of what box for what needs

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

viperlogic wrote: »

Good find, I did post that about 6 post above ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Ops, sry about that! Sleep deprived

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For anyone with flaky WiFi, Argos have BT branded homeplugs for €27,cheapest I've seen a set.

I eventually got round to the 60 second job of hooking up my new Ethernet switch hub and the difference is amazing.The WiFi on my box was OK but I was always meaning to hardwire it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Amazon often have good value on home plugs .Saw TP link set for under 25 euro a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    viperlogic wrote: »

One box that is not mentioned in that post is the Ugoos AM3 (scroll down in the link for spec). I am guessing that it may be because they have not noticed it, or maybe it has not been donated to any of the reviewers.
    But it is well worth checking out. It has some pretty handy features as well.
    I do not know how to explain this properly, but nearly every generation of box has had one box that outshines the rest. The MX box (aml 8726)/MK808, the MXQ etc..
    The Ugoos AM3 should definitely be on that list. I would not be surprised to find that every device on the 'Start Here' list has donated to the XBMC or Kodi foundation. That is a good thing, as developers will work on that box then and should ensure a less buggy, smoother interaction etc. But i wonder if that is the only reason it does not appear on it.
    It is roughly between €70 and €80 depending on where you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Hi - Just a quick question, I bought a MiBox a couple of weeks ago, overall happy with it but it can be a bit laggy at times - I have ordered the Ugreen ethernet hub that other people have bought. For those using it, does it make much of a difference to speeds etc ??

We are in the countryside so no fibre here - just a wireless broadband service

emg74 wrote: »
    Hi - Just a quick question, I bought a MiBox a couple of weeks ago, overall happy with it but it can be a bit laggy at times - I have ordered the Ugreen ethernet hub that other people have bought. For those using it, does it make much of a difference to speeds etc ??

I have Vodafone Mobile BB, I can't get Fibre BB or anything.

I have the Mibox and haven't had issue as I put a Powerline adapter right beside it. I don't have any issues with lag

Are you sure that the wifi is issue with lag? test with Youtube/netflix and see if laggy

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Also a mibox user. I'm on ftth so no issue with lagging.

What i do an an issue with is how i can't get the RTE player or 3Player on it.
    how annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I've used both and have issues on each with YouTube, sometimes Google Music, but not with Netflix. Issues include a slight quarter-second pause every couple of minutes. Barely noticeable. Because it wasn't happening with Netflix I concluded it was an app issue though.

What apps are you seeing issues with?

• Advertisement

guideanna wrote: »
    Also a mibox user. I'm on ftth so no issue with lagging.

What i do an an issue with is how i can't get the RTE player or 3Player on it.
    how annoying!

If you can get the APK you should be able to side load those app's.....someone else on here might be able to explain better. I use the Sky box for them so no need to install onto mibox

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I've used both and have issues on each with YouTube, sometimes Google Music, but not with Netflix. Issues include a slight quarter-second pause every couple of minutes. Barely noticeable. Because it wasn't happening with Netflix I concluded it was an app issue though.

What apps are you seeing issues with?

Yeah, it may be an issue with the particular apps as YouTube & Netflix is ok... It was one of the ones to allow you to watch Sky Sports... without actually having Sky Sports so it is probably that moreso than the box itself. Netflix does seem to take a wee bit longer to load up than on our Humax freesat box that is connected via ethernet but once started it is fine.

As I said overall I am very happy with it and if an ethernet hub can improve it better still :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://torrentfreak.com/kodi-security-risk-emerges-after-tvaddons-shutdown-170723/

Something very fishy going on here,the now defunct tvaddons domain is now owned by a Canadian law firm.I won't post anymore in case we get close to the line of what we can discuss but it's all in the article I linked to.

zerks wrote: »
    https://torrentfreak.com/kodi-security-risk-emerges-after-tvaddons-shutdown-170723/

Something very fishy going on here,the now defunct tvaddons domain is now owned by a Canadian law firm.I won't post anymore in case we get close to the line of what we can discuss but it's all in the article I linked to.
    I thought it was something to do with protecting them (maybe not). It was on another site last week, and their twitter account rumbled out "WP to twitter, please follow...... (Address mentioned here)"
    Daft to put them all in the one place imo. 
    The replacements and the ones from before are just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,450 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Suckit wrote: »
    I thought it was something to do with protecting them (maybe not). It was on another site last week, and their twitter account rumbled out "WP to twitter, please follow...... (Address mentioned here)"
    Daft to put them all in the one place imo. 
    The replacements and the ones from before are just as bad.

i wonder is this why my tvmc was playing up over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

Is google chromecaste ultra good? Still having second thoughts of best gadget to buy to stream movies/shows/games with highest quality picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I just tested the uGreen usb ethernet adapter. Does not seem to work for me :(

Anyone else ?

This is the one I got

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Korvanica wrote: »
    I just tested the uGreen usb ethernet adapter. Does not seem to work for me :(

Anyone else ?

This is the one I got

I have no experience of that box, but wouldn't buy a box which you then need to but some weird Ethernet add on.

If you can return both, I would and get a box which contains all these these items, otherwise wait for advise from the lads who claimed this combination is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

JamboMac wrote: »
    I have no experience of that box, but wouldn't buy a box which you then need to but some weird Ethernet add on.

If you can return both, I would and get a box which contains all these these items

Would definitely agree with this, have said it a few times already on this thread. An ethernet connection to your router will enable a far better and smoother experience with these boxes. They simply don't have the wifi capability of your phone/laptop/tablet etc.

The Mi box is good and is well established as a good box.

The UGreen hub is also recommended many times in many threads on different forums. 

Try to enable developer mode and enable USB debugging.
    (Activate Developer mode - Go to settings - [Device - About] and press build 8 times [You will receive a message on the screen that you are now regarded as a developer]
    Go to Settings - Preferences - Developer Options and activate debugging for USB)

If that does not seem to work try rebooting your Mi box to see if it works, you may have to reboot it more than once, maybe a few times. There is a known bug in the box that sometimes turns off the USB port when it is unplugged or shutdown.

It is expected to be fixed on the next update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

BandMember wrote: »
    Would definitely agree with this, have said it a few times already on this thread. An ethernet connection to your router will enable a far better and smoother experience with these boxes. They simply don't have the wifi capability of your phone/laptop/tablet etc.

I have the ugreen adaptor on my mibox and haven't noticed any difference. It's in the same room as my router and I mostly use netflix, youtube and casting from other devices, but that's just it: different circumstances will mean different requirements. The mibox was designed to work via wifi and for most people it will do so perfctly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Hey Peps,

What's your thoughts on this box, specs look good for the price ~€64 coming from the UK
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/252947431273

Android 7.1 OS
    3GB Ram
    16GB ROM
    CPU: Amlogic S912 Octa core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU up to 2G
    GPU: ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU up to 750MHz (DVFS)
    4K video

Got this same one, mainly for my dad, but he's not finding it too easy to navigate, wouldn't be the most technologically advanced man. Actually performs very well, but I think I'll end up selling it on on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

Julez wrote: »
    Got this same one, mainly for my dad, but he's not finding it too easy to navigate, wouldn't be the most technologically advanced man. Actually performs very well, but I think I'll end up selling it on on adverts.

You could maybe install a launcher that makes it easier to navigate?

Something like this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cosinus.launchertv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'm using the ugreen usb adapter on my mi box too, not had any issues, been running fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

http://m.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_503487.html

Same box I believe... got it from Heartbeat some weeks back....it's easy to use and almost flawless...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Erik Shin wrote: »
    http://m.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_503487.html

Same box I believe... got it from Heartbeat some weeks back....it's easy to use and almost flawless...

Think I need to have a better look at it... basically his netflix app is made for touch (common problem with these boxes I think), so its hard to navigate with a normal remote, and the edges are cut off on his tv. I didn't see any kind of scaling options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Think I need to have a better look at it... basically his netflix app is made for touch (common problem with these boxes I think), so its hard to navigate with a normal remote, and the edges are cut off on his tv. I didn't see any kind of scaling options.

do you have a wireless mouse lying around? far easier to navigate most boxes with one

the display could be the tv, check what aspect ratio it's on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Hey Guys,

Have a chromecast already but looking to get my first box. Will be looking to stream the usually mainly sports tho

Any particular box you would recommend? Would like to have a nice remote and will get a TV launcher for easy navigation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Have a chromecast already but looking to get my first box. Will be looking to stream the usually mainly sports tho

Any particular box you would recommend? Would like to have a nice remote and will get a TV launcher for easy navigation

The clue is in the title.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The clue is in the title.....

Box recommendation is illegal?

Anyway I figured a standard entry box would do the trick..

Will this Abox do the trick to start?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GooBang-ABOX-Android-Control-360-Full/dp/B06XZ2V7XZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501228391&sr=8-2&keywords=abox+android+tv+box

Advertisement