Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Buddha Breath

Thanks Garo. Do you think the inverter setup would be more complicated with 3 strings, or could you put two in parallel on one string and one on the other? Would you need many additional optimisers?

Incidentally, this is a 12 panel system with same roof angle in same part of the country. Installed mid June. To my inexperienced eye those figures seem ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just on this, how common is it for the reputable installers to be willing to plough ahead on a bigger array without planning?
    I got five quotes and not one installer mentioned it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The planning is a load of s**t. My roof is huge so they didnt bother, unless you are trying to fill an entire roof I doubt anyone will ask, especially after the case in Limerick

Incidentally, this is a 12 panel system with same roof angle in same part of the country. Installed mid June. To my inexperienced eye those figures seem ok.

Yes three strings would be an issue. You would need an additional mini inverter or string optimisers. That’s why cost won’t be the same. And having to install three racks instead one. Ask the installers for quotes for various systems and find your sweet spot. Your quote is ok. I got a 4.8kWp system for 200€ more. Once mounts are in place additional panels add only 150-200 marginal cost so are a good idea. If money was no object I would be looking at a 6+10+6 system at least. Most inverters allow significantly higher DC input than their output rating and all your panel would never be producing max at the same time so a 5 or 6 kW inverter would do fine with 7-8kWp panels.

garo wrote: »
    Yes three strings would be an issue. You would need an additional mini inverter or string optimisers. That’s why cost won’t be the same. And having to install three racks instead one. Ask the installers for quotes for various systems and find your sweet spot. Your quote is ok. I got a 4.8kWp system for 200€ more. Once mounts are in place additional panels add only 150-200 marginal cost so are a good idea. If money was no object I would be looking at a 6+10+6 system at least. Most inverters allow significantly higher DC input than their output rating and all your panel would never be producing max at the same time so a 5 or 6 kW inverter would do fine with 7-8kWp panels.

Thanks. So would that be 6 East, 6 West, 10 South facing? Would any of the simulation packages the installers use have the ability to calculate these non standard setups I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,154 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The planning is a load of s**t. My roof is huge so they didnt bother, unless you are trying to fill an entire roof I doubt anyone will ask, especially after the case in Limerick

Did you go with next gen power in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is 26 panels not nearly 8kwp ? Is there not a risk of it overloading the 6kw inverter ? I seem to remember there is a risk of the voltage being too high going in to an inverter if you oversize the panels ?

Not likely. Of course you need to check the maximum voltage per string and in total against the spec sheet of the inverter to be sure.

Might not be easy to find a three string inverter that has a capacity of no more than 6kW though, might have to go with 2 inverters. Say a 1kW for say 4 or 5 east facing panels and then a 5kW for the other two strings

Edit - missed reading a few posts before I posted this. Garo has also already mentioned that for 3 strings in Ireland you probably need 2 inverters. Or a main inverter and some micro inverters and that 8kwp is unlikely a problem with an inverter / inverters totalling no more than 6KW

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Happy with my new 4kw + 2.4kwh battery install. Got it installed just before Christmas and New Years.

7,600 all in, but now the installer and the electrician are having a bun fight over some other install that the electrician didn’t finish and the guy is withholding sign off certs for my install until he’s paid by the installer. Absolute nightmare and the installer has been ducking and diving for weeks, meanwhile I’m out of pocket for 3,800.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭handpref

Nuphor wrote: »
    Happy with my new 4kw + 2.4kwh battery install. Got it installed just before Christmas and New Years.

7,600 all in, but now the installer and the electrician are having a bun fight over some other install that the electrician didn’t finish and the guy is withholding sign off certs for my install until he’s paid by the installer. Absolute nightmare and the installer has been ducking and diving for weeks, meanwhile I’m out of pocket for 3,800.

The deadline for the old grant was unfortunately pushed out to The end of February- in your case it should give them time to sort it out- in my case it will make it 18 months waiting for my grant and out of pocket €3800, ducking and diving from the installer has been a record breaking effort-

The message people need to take from this is only pay the after grant price and let the installer claim back the rebate. Whilst I’m happy with the summer production winter time is poor and the savings are nowhere near the 70% they advertised.

Worst financial experience of my life and by far the most stressful, the money is one thing but the refusal of the company to own up to their obligation has been the most frustrating. So one more month to go.

handpref wrote: »
    The deadline for the old grant was unfortunately pushed out to The end of February- in your case it should give them time to sort it out- in my case it will make it 18 months waiting for my grant and out of pocket €3800, ducking and diving from the installer has been a record breaking effort-

The message people need to take from this is only pay the after grant price and let the installer claim back the rebate. Whilst I’m happy with the summer production winter time is poor and the savings are nowhere near the 70% they advertised.

Worst financial experience of my life and by far the most stressful, the money is one thing but the refusal of the company to own up to their obligation has been the most frustrating. So one more month to go.

Sorry to hear that! 18 months requires naming and shaming. Fortunately in the new grant system there won’t be cases like yours as grant will have to be approved pre-installed. Have you complained to SEAI? A threat of SEAI deter might help.

Also those 70% saving numbers seem ludicrous. Depends on the individual consumption and set up but realistically a 10-15 year payback is what you are looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did you go with next gen power in the end?

Yes

Thanks. So would that be 6 East, 6 West, 10 South facing? Would any of the simulation packages the installers use have the ability to calculate these non standard setups I wonder?
    Yes. And yes installer sim packages like PV Syst allow that. Also the sheet I linked to will let you do that but you’ll have to run three calcs. It is a really good tool but requires some investment in learning. Let me know if you need help with it.

Sorry to hear that! 18 months requires naming and shaming. Fortunately in the new grant system there won’t be cases like yours as grant will have to be approved pre-installed. Have you complained to SEAI? A threat of SEAI deter might help.

Also those 70% saving numbers seem ludicrous. Depends on the individual consumption and set up but realistically a 10-15 year payback is what you are looking at.

I’ve bern reluctant to involve the seai for fear of jeopardizing the whole process. The company involved obviously don’t care but I’ve been told that they hope to have the documents uploaded to the grant page by next Friday.

If it starts to look like nothing is moving in the right direction I will contact the Seai.

If it comes through I’ll draw a line under it, I can’t give it any more energy. If it doesn’t I’ll update so others get a heads up on the candor of the installer.
    A long and very sorry affair.

What's a reasonable installer profit margin on an installed PV system?

There seems to be a fair amount of p*sstaking going on from my own experience and those of others based on quotes mentioned in this thread. So based on the costs of running a business, insurance etc, what do people think is an appropriate profit margin?

My most recent quote works out at about EUR 2.16 per watt installed, pre grant. To buy the same system myself and pay out 1k to a roofer and sparks would cost EUR 1.45 per watt installed. That's a 4.4kW system with 5kW hybrid inverter and 2.4kW battery. It would be good to know just how much room for negotiation one has! A lot I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

What's a reasonable installer profit margin on an installed PV system?

There seems to be a fair amount of p*sstaking going on from my own experience and those of others based on quotes mentioned in this thread. So based on the costs of running a business, insurance etc, what do people think is an appropriate profit margin?

My most recent quote works out at about EUR 2.16 per watt installed, pre grant. To buy the same system myself and pay out 1k to a roofer and sparks would cost EUR 1.45 per watt installed. That's a 4.4kW system with 5kW hybrid inverter and 2.4kW battery. It would be good to know just how much room for negotiation one has! A lot I suspect.

Did you include:
    • mounting hardware for the panels,
    • wire & isolators,
    • and Vat at 23% on the materials?

Zardaz wrote: »
    Did you include:
    • mounting hardware for the panels,
    • wire & isolators,
    • and Vat at 23% on the materials?

I did. That's a standard kit from solartricity that includes all the installation materials and vat to me at 23%. So obviously they are paying cheaper trade prices and no vat, so another increase in margin for them there that I haven't accounted for.

About EUR1 per watt installed would be a ballpark figure for a completely installed system without a battery (mostly DIY), with an electrician hooking it up. A 300W panel costs about EUR85 + VAT at trade prices, or about 28c/watt

December
    Predicted: 61.9
    Actual: 43.6
    January
    Predicted: 81.5 (without taking shading into account)
    Actual 71.0

January
    Predicted: 81.5 (without taking shading into account)
    Actual 71.0

January - 83 (5.4 E/W)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

January - 71.0
    handpref wrote: »
    January - 83 (5.4 E/W)

January - 75 (2.7 S)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

championc wrote: »
    January - 75 (2.7 S)

Jan 158kwh produced, 20kwh exported

6kwp south facing east cork

• Registered Users Posts: 13,521 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

82.4 kWh produced in January. :)

4.3 kWp, facing SSW.

Thanks all and the first day of Feb was better for me in Dublin than all the days in Jan. 4.8 split E/W.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

I've just started a specific Solar PV Performance thread :) I've posted the first bunch of stats on there

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112422302

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mcgree

Sorry know it’s probably been done to death. Just looking at a 7/8 mono-panel system without battery and power converter to water tank a few prices in around €3200-€3600 some crazy €5600 after grant. Just want to check €3k+ is around the going rate. Cheers all appreciate the feed back as the sale guys are ruthless with promises and how their product out performs. Please DM any recommendations as all ways good to get user feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

I recently had a 2.48kw with diverter installed, price after grant €2400 with included BER and I'm sure there are better prices than that. Height and type of roof will effect the price aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mcgree

I recently had a 2.48kw with diverter installed, price after grant €2400 with included BER and I'm sure there are better prices than that. Height and type of roof will effect the price aswell.

Thanks that’s a big difference especially as the systems I was looking at are around a 2.2kw. If you are happy to recommend your installers please PM me a name and I can reach out to them see if it’s due to the install pushing price. Thanks again.

Not a bad price, but you would have had far better payback on your system without the diverter (unless you were previously heating your water in a very expensive way)

Hi folks, has anyone heard of any issues with the pylontech batteries where they need to be set to 80% max discharge to perform properly? I was told that when set to 90% this can lead to "problems". Not sure exactly what these problems are but this came from a well respected (on this forum) seai installer.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

Hi folks, has anyone heard of any issues with the pylontech batteries where they need to be set to 80% max discharge to perform properly? I was told that when set to 90% this can lead to "problems". Not sure exactly what these problems are but this came from a well respected (on this forum) seai installer.

Thanks.

They will probably last longer with a lower depth-of-discharge.

from https://www.inutec-int.com/us/pylontech-48v-us2000b-plus-lithium-ion-battery.html

"Vertical industry integration ensures more than 4500 cycles with 90% DoD or 6000 cycles with 80% DoD"

4500*0.9*2.4 = 9720 KWh total usage.
    6000*0.8*2.4 = 11520 KWh total usage.

Advertisement