Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

redlead wrote: »
    Omega are in a funny place at the moment. They are desperately trying to keep themselves associated with Rolex in terms of their main competitor so the prices seem to be going up bit but at the other end a lot of Rolex fanboys are desperately trying to promote Tudor as a worthy alternative to Omega (there is absolutely no comparison to be had there). I've never owned an Omega or a Rolex but have held a fair few of them and in my opinion Omega slightly pips rolex on finish and Rolex probably pips Omega on robustness. They really are worthy adversaries but the closer to Rolex Omegas are in price, the harder it is justify buying one over a rolex because of their residuals. My personal preference astethically is always Omega but Rolex will always be Rolex. The brand goes a long way.

Yes, totally agree. Tudor has basically taken the place that omega had in the 3-4k sports model. I am super impressed with Tudor and I have had excellent success quickly and painlessly flipping them in the past. You would once get a seamaster 300p as your first "proper swiss" but now that nearly 6k and a blackbay makes more sense. Great watch, hard as nails and descent designs. Omega are now in that higher price point. The Co-axial movements are superior than Rolex for METAS certification but they are a little more fragile. But as you say as they creep up in price to the submariner level they are playing a difficult game. Then Omega and their editions....holy crap, its a nightmare. The darkside I recently got, I had a choice of the original, a faux patina one, a yellow one, and grey one, a all black one, and one with a meteorite dial. Its hard develop a classic design when you dilute the stock out there so much.

Steinhart are not playing this game at all. They pump out hommage watches, with ETA movements at a price that is tempting to the new collector (hell I was temped as a new collector and many times since, so damn attainable and easy to sell on). They are a gateway watch, one to give you a taste and get you hooked I respect Steinhart in so much as when I see somebody with one I know they are on the choo choo train and the next station is fine destination. Banie I am looking at you....this time in 2022 you will defo be rocking a Rolex or some high level Omega.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

If I was to go into Weirs and buy a Seamaster could I expect to be offered a 20% discount easily enough (with a of haggling obviously)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    If I was to go into Weirs and buy a Seamaster could I expect to be offered a 20% discount easily enough (with a of haggling obviously)?

Nope....there is policy of no discount on Omega now. I have previously gotten good discounts in the 15-25% range but its come down from the top no more discounting in a AD. Joomashop and the grey's are giving good discounts and expect around 40% on nearly new ones private sale (Omega on the secondary private sale market is fantastic for bargains (my darkside was nearly half retail and its a 2019 stamp on the warranty)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Rolex's cachet I think is down to heavy advertising on the back of National Gegraphic and probably other magazines in the US in the mid 20th century, rather than any innate technical or quality superiority. My father, who's life spanned most of the 20C had a fairly ambivelent attitude to Rolex.

Interestingly, I think Tag Heur and Breitling are also just testaments to the power of advertising. I wasn't even aware of their existence until probably the 90's. Breitling's advertising in particular annoys me with their posing next to WW2 fighters like the Spitfire. It's unlikely any WW2 Spitfire pilot climbed into the cockpit wearing a Breitling. It most likely would have been a very ordianary looking Omega.

For me, Omega has real world world usage cred, wheras Rolex are just a beautifully made poseur. The UK military sourced Omegas in WW2 and NASA did likewise in the 60's and therafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

cnocbui wrote: »
    Rolex's cachet I think is down to heavy advertising on the back of National Gegraphic and probably other magazines in the US in the mid 20th century

That was 70 years ago. Before pretty much every regular poster in this forum was born, even Wibbs :pac:

Some advertising if that is still giving Rolex the cachet it has today ;):p:D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That was 70 years ago. Before pretty much every regular poster in this forum was born, even Wibbs :pac:

Back in the 70's I remember perusing back issues of NG from previous decades in my school library, hence the awareness beyond my years. Ask Canon and Nikon if they think saturation advertising yields multi-decade dividends. To this day, the majority of Irish people think these two brands alone are the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm over 70.

Here's a Hamilton advert from the April 1941 National Geographic.

530305.jpg

I have a number of NGs that contain articles about cycle tours. Not many of them have watch adverts. A couple from the naughties have Patek on the back cover but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Interestingly, I think Tag Heur and Breitling are also just testaments to the power of advertising. I wasn't even aware of their existence until probably the 90's. Breitling's advertising in particular annoys me with their posing next to WW2 fighters like the Spitfire. It's unlikely any WW2 Spitfire pilot climbed into the cockpit wearing a Breitling. It most likely would have been a very ordianary looking Omega.

Going to have to pull you up there. Breitling specifically provided the on board chronometer for spitfires and other aircraft to the RAF throughout the 30s and 40s. I think the Navitimer came out in the early 50s and was a ground breaking "tool" watch at the time. You have to bare in mind that they were very much tool watches back then more than luxury pieces. They certainly weren't the first pilots watches but their aviation heritage is very much legitimate. Obviously now its all just marketing BS, the same as any luxury watch brand. To be fair to Breitling actually, they do still try to make modern relevant tool watches. That emergency one they have is a great piece of kit to have even now. I think someone on here actually has one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

530301.jpg

:D
    Actually Cnoc has a point U. Pre circa 1960 Rolex was almost entirely a brand and had cache in Britain and her commonwealth and didn't sell much beyond it. Certainly in America they were pretty much unknown. If you look at US watch and jewellery periodicals from before that date Rolex are nowhere to be seen. They hadn't much penetration into Europe either. The James Bond connection helped them certainly, but more latterly rather than in period. If they had seen it as a driver of sales they would have kept promoting their brand in franchise in the 70's and 80's but largely left it to others. That said such promotion wasn't really part of most companies radar back then. I mean Aston Martin had to be pleaded with to supply the DB's. The Rolex print ads in US magazines like NG, Time et al made a big impression on that part of the world and beyond and they started to gain traction in the late 60's early 70's.

This trend is also evident in the chronometer trials of the 20th century. Although Hans Wilsdorf was the first to send a wristwatch for testing for all the "Superlative Chronometer" ad copy(it's a trademark of theirs not an accreditation) their participation in the trials themselves was minimal and when they did participate lacklustre and largely gave up after the 40's, with some participation in the 60's.

530308.jpg

It was nearly always a shoot out between Omega, Longines and Zenith, with Longines winning the most overall. Movado would be "who??" for most today and they blew Rolex out of the water on wins. I suspect Rolex didn't bother for two reasons: 1) their movements were actually middle of the road and like that well into the 90's, workmanlike, but hardly elegant, or innovative(pre the 21st century one could easily argue their most innovative movement was the Oysterquartz). 2) their market - and Rolex have always known their market -wasn't interested enough back then.
    IWC are another who pad their WW2 history(among other things). Actually unless it was one of the issued Air Ministry pieces which included Omega among others(Zenith, Longines etc), chances are far more likely that if they wore a watch it was a 30's Tank style "dress" watch bought privately. Pre war in the "golden age" of aviation it was brands like Longines, Zenith, Helvetia and others, from the Swiss brands anyway. On the German side of WW2 the fighter pilots were more likely to wear "pilot's watches", for a few reasons. Pilots watches had more market penetration in mainland Europe. In something like the Battle of Britain it was for timing how much go juice they had left in the tanks as they were lacking in range, so privately bought or unit bought chronographs were in play. British pilots on the other hand didn't need a watch. They were scrambled en masse and vectored onto target, so little need for one for timing or navigation. Never mind that if you climb into a Spitfire or Me 109 right there in front of you is a dirty great clock. :D
    For me, Omega has real world world usage cred, wheras Rolex are just a beautifully made poseur. The UK military sourced Omegas in WW2 and NASA did likewise in the 60's and therafter.
    Well... in WW2, Omega were just one of many Swiss brands of issued timepieces in play, on both sides. To Rolex' credit they didn't supply the Axis side. Maybe one could argue the Panerai movements, but it's tenuous. As far as later UK MOD dive watches both Omega and Rolex had their issues and had to be tweaked accordingly. Rolex got an improved bezel and an Omega seamaster handset, Omega had to incorporate better sealing and a screwdown crown as the stock test models came back from dives looking like spirit levels. Interestingly when the US navy tried Rolex dive watches a decade earlier their big complaint was they were overpriced, the bracelet was crap and they leaked more than the others on test.

In the end of the day a huge proportion of this stuff is competing ad copy from the brands egged on by the interwebs and naturally enough the various brand camps and fans. The reality can be quite different. I mean for many on forums and the like who are Rolex fans they believe they innovated nearly everything in 20th century horology, but that's not the case by a long margin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going to have to pull you up there. Breitling specifically provided the on board chronometer for spitfires and other aircraft to the RAF throughout the 30s and 40s.
    Actually Smiths supplied significantly more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So who gets the last on this thread now that the 10k limit has been breached? ;)

I think it should finish on Wibbs' opus above :P

Going to have to pull you up there. Breitling specifically provided the on board chronometer for spitfires and other aircraft to the RAF throughout the 30s and 40s. I think the Navitimer came out in the early 50s and was a ground breaking "tool" watch at the time. You have to bare in mind that they were very much tool watches back then more than luxury pieces. They certainly weren't the first pilots watches but their aviation heritage is very much legitimate. Obviously now its all just marketing BS, the same as any luxury watch brand. To be fair to Breitling actually, they do still try to make modern relevant tool watches. That emergency one they have is a great piece of kit to have even now. I think someone on here actually has one.

My father was presented with a clock out of the panel of a Hurricane by one of his mechanics. Unfortunately it was stolen in the Early 80's. That one at least I don't think was made by Breitling. The chronometer my father was issued for navigating his Spitfires, Hurricanes, et al, was a Jaeger LeCoutre pocket watch. The wrist watch he was issued with was an Omega. But sure, I'll accept your correction as I was unaware Breitling made clocks for the RAF.

Edit: Wibbs has jogged my memory there with his excellent depth of knowledge, it was made by Smith's. I remember handling it with interest before it was installed in the boat my father built, from whence it was later stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Did he get to keep the JLC pocket watch? Would love to see that

Did he get to keep the JLC pocket watch? Would love to see that

Yes, I still have it and the Omega. JLC still runs, Omega might be restorable in the right hands (anyone any ideas on this?)

JLC: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114893300&postcount=9572 and more on subsequent pages.

Omega: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114830267&postcount=9464

I find it surreal to think these objects were hurtling through the skies in a Spitfire and multiple other types of single seat fighter during WW2.

I'd say your Omega is well restorable C. The dial is in great nick, the alloy cases tend to go abit crusty, but are fixable and the movement should come back to life handily enough. Might need a balance staff, but the movement is a good one and many were made so should be easy enough to source one.

Strangely, I have another watch I personally think is more remarkable than the war relics. It's a Flavre Leuba ladies watch that belonged to my mother. A 16 jewel masterpiece of miniatuisation with the whole movement being about the size of the tip of my pinky. The movement is probably smaller in volume than a single link in the watch band of those enormous hulking gerat mens watches that so many seem to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Strangely, I have another watch I personally think is more remarkable than the war relics. It's a Flavre Leuba ladies watch that belonged to my mother. A 16 jewel masterpiece of miniatuisation with the whole movement being about the size of the tip of my pinky. The movement is probably smaller in volume than a single link in the watch band of those enormous hulking gerat mens watches that so many seem to like.

Class. Pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's funny how people grow to like or dislike certain brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

As a child of the 80s, watching Formula 1 with my mum, there was only one watch brand I was aware of:
    TAG Heuer.

Didn't know till later that the company developed the modern transponder-based timing system used by most motorsport.

And even later discovered the character that was a Jack Heuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I've been looking through my vintage National Geographics and found two more watch adverts that I hadn't noticed before. The first's another full-page Hamilton, this time from a couple of years earlier, June 1939 and a smaller one, a Girard Perregaux chrono, in the November 1938 edition.

530336.jpg

530337.jpg

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, it has many influences for each individual. Depends on the type of collector(or not) too. Familial connections, childhood memories, perceptions of status, mechanical(or even electrical) engineering considerations, horological interest, advertising, cultural background. It's kinda mad. :) T'is a broad church.

I've been looking through my vintage National Geographics and found two more watch adverts that I hadn't noticed before. The first's another full-page Hamilton, this time from a couple of years earlier, June 1939 and a smaller one, a Girard Perregaux chrono, in the November 1938 edition.
    When I see ads like that aimed at young men from that time I always have the thought in the back of my head that they don't realise what's coming and how many wouldn't be coming back.

Wandered into a Casio store here in Hanoi and left with this.

ts4x4q7.jpg

GWN-Q1000. A favourite weekend warrior.

http://imgur.com/a/DtuGAac

530411.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Cienciano wrote: »
    Lorddrakul wrote: »
    As a child of the 80s, watching Formula 1 with my mum, there was only one watch brand I was aware of:
    TAG Heuer.

Didn't know till later that the company developed the modern transponder-based timing system used by most motorsport.

And even later discovered the character that was a Jack Heuer.

Absolutely no offense, but I never liked Tags myself. There's something about them being a 'Laaaads' watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Birneybau wrote: »
    Absolutely no offense, but I never liked Tags myself. There's something about them being a 'Laaaads' watch.

That's it, people will like or dislike certain brands for all sorts of reasons. Wibbs mentioned a few reasons. For some reason I want an in house movement. Makes zero sense in the sub €1000 category. Annoys me when I see a watch I like and find out it uses a perfectly good ETA movement. What the hell does it matter? I don't know, but it's something I need. That obviously doesn't go for microbrands btw

• Registered Users Posts: 33,097 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wandered into a Casio store here in Hanoi and left with this.
    SNIP

Ads,

Thats fantastic, and I'm not sure whether its just nostalgia or not, but from my memory it looks just like the watch I had through my teens.

Do you know the model number of it?
    Is it a re-issue Casio have done? Or an actual vintage watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭893bet

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ads,

Thats fantastic, and I'm not sure whether its just nostalgia or not, but from my memory it looks just like the watch I had through my teens.

Do you know the model number of it?
    Is it a re-issue Casio have done? Or an actual vintage watch?

Agree. It’s rare I have any want for a Casio but that looks noice!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Well hello there beautiful

I’ll take some proper pics later over the weekend

Kir3f4A.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭893bet

Fitz II wrote: »
    Omega doesnt have the feels for me the way Rolex does, although I cannot fault the quality of Omega watches. Rolex has an solidity to it, and a quality of materials that is hard to put your finger on. Steinhart is not even in the ballpark and one wind of the crown and you are immediately reminded that its nowhere near. Steinhart is good dont get me wrong, but its many grades below.
    ty.

I think Omega quality is > Rolex but agree on the subjective “feels” a Rolex does give.

Steinhart lack any identify IMO. They never moved on and are still doing the same old homages.

Even their new “Cermit”. I think they might have realised it before the new Rolex version even, but due to a lack of their own identity immediately it is now a Rolex Cermit homage.

I don’t get Steinhart sizing. Their 42mm are too big. Their 39mm too small.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement