Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're moving - Read-Only 7th July

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Under my profile I can go to My Discussions which presumably shows the threads I have followed. Is there supposed to be some sort of order to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The theme is not even close to being ready for public launch. Lots and lots of bugs/missing features (can't edit posts. etc). Why on earth a few thousand posts/users weren't sampled from the old database and tested on the new system before launch is beyond me! It's a calamity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

also nothing shows in "my forums" tab, do i need to resub to everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Soccer forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Who's idea was it to do this unnecessary change? Talk about making a backwards step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

I appreciate all the hard work that must be going on in the background, but the new site is awful looking. It looks like a very early test build and far from complete. Massive whitespace everywhere, especially on any post that is quoted. Pages themselves are very slow to load. Navigation is much more difficult. Has there being any official announcements from the admin side on this? I find it strange that there is such a massive change and no interaction with users on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My forums - gone

No way to sub to a forum

no way to mark as read

everything is now unread

account settings seem to be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

When looking for new posts in followed threads I now have to do 3 clicks to get to a post in a thread.

On old Boards it was a hover and single click if I remember correctly.

(Ugh, I've just seen the double line spacing when typing a post.)

Slooooooowwwwww

The thanks button disappeared for all posts after I posted on the forum.

To see who's thanked/liked a post I have to do a hover, which I didn't have to do before.

I think I preferred the site when it was just the guy asking about the Toyota bumper and everyone thanking the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

For those looking for their old threads, you should find them here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

(but clicking the 'latest post' button brings you to the OP, not the LP.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You can edit. Nothing obvious like an "edit post" tag, though (seems to be the hallmark of this set-up) : you have to CLICK (there's that click addiction again) on the barely-visible three dots in the blue banner at the top of your post to reveal the edit option and then (guess what) CLICK on Edit. Which then brings up a confusing edit box repeating your original post under your original post. Wha' ? It all sorts itself out when you "Save Comment"

Can't see any indication on the edited post that it was changed, and no obvious prompt to say why you edited it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

unspeakably bad update. I’d suggest just rolling it back and chalking it up to experience. Otherwise it’s over and out for Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

S L O W

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I just get the sense that this project has been troubled since the beginning. I feel for the boards people, this must be very stressful and a pile-on is probably the last thing they want/need, but to be honest this looks like an exercise in how NOT to migrate/upgrade a site. For a project that is a week over deadline it looks like they've rushed to put something up and will probably iron out the issues as they go.

Adding to all of the other issues above, I am also getting random "503" errors saying the site is down for maintenance.

EDIT: I've also noticed that if you hover over a thread title, you no longer get the first few lines of the post to see if it's something you want to click into.

I've really missed the site so I don't want to seem like I'm complaining too much though!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Where is the soccer forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

A work in progress? The site has been unavailable for a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Multi quote works but because you get pushed back to the post box it is annoying, you can hit quote, move back up and hit quote on a second post and they will here too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

View first unread now missing from the threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Seriously guys. Roll back until you have this disaster fixed. It should never have been launched without prior testing. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm sure it has been very stressful and I'm sure there are things that will improve as the bugs are ironed out.

I don't see any "thanks" button - only Facebook and Twitter buttons and I have that ****. I use Boards to avoid them.

My Forums seems to have disappeared, but I'm guessing this is a commissioning thing.

Also it seems slow - again probably a commissioning issue.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Morning all. Thanks for posting the issues which we are collating for fixes. Serveral of them are on a list to be worked on already. There is an update thread here which is where any further updates on fixes etc. will be posted: https://boards.ie/discussion/2058198814/welcome-to-the-new-boards-ie-platform-version-1-0#latest

Thanks.

• Advertisement

By multi quote I think they mean the ability to multi quote one single persons post. Like if you post two paragraphs and I wanted to reply to each one separately? This ability seems to be gone. Then again many people might be happy about that given over multi quoted posts were hard to read. I was guilty of over using it at times - and at least one user I know of weaponised it to simply barrage people into giving him the last word by making his posts impossible to reply to. When you post a short reply and get 20 multi quoted response back - you tend to just give up and move on and give that user the "win".

I also saw it mentioned that the ability to "ignore" users is gone. Not checked myself as it was not a feature I have ever used myself on any forum anywhere. But I imagine some peoples personal well being is wrapped up in being able to ignore the posts of users who are upsetting to them. So some people might genuinely suffer at the loss of that feature.

For me the only feature I ever used - to the point I find the site unusable without it - was the "control panel" view where you saw instantly which forums you were subscribed to and which ones have unread posts inside them. There seems to be no way to do any of that now? On the old site my Web Browser bookmark was directly to the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/usercp.php link and I could open it - quickly see if there's any new posts - and then leave.

Invite only forums like Sex and Sexuality appear to be gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

No, Trigger understood it correctly. On the old forum, it was possible to refer to (quote) three or four different posts, sometimes by the same poster, if - for example - you wanted to highlight their contradictory statements, or by several posters making the same point.

Everything about the quote facility is a mess at the moment - too much white space, impossible to edit/snip it, impossible to highlight or colour words or phrases within it, and if multiquoting (thanks Trigger) every click takes you immediately to the comment box, meaning you have to then scroll back again and again to the posts you want to quote.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Guys I am closing this thread so that you can post all issues in the thread I have linked above. It'll just make it that bit easier to keep track of the issues.

I've already addedd all of the issues listed here to my list.

Please use this thread:

https://boards.ie/discussion/2058198814/welcome-to-the-new-boards-ie-platform-version-1-0#latest

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement