Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I live about 4 miles out a country road and currently they seem to be working backwards along the road towards town. Currently Eir have fibre coming out of town for about a mile. Will the NBI just be extending the Eir lines or will they be completely seperate?

Completely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

yop wrote: »
    QQ - SO the fibre is been rolled out to be enabled this year, its an "L" road that my house is on.
    The house doesn't have a phone line into it but it piped for a line to the edge of the road. The junction box is directly across from it, 3.2m to be exact.
    I was out in the car when they were pulling fiber down through that junction box and I asked them how they were going to get it into the house explaining that I had placed a pipe directly across from it.
    They said they don't do that.

So what are peoples experience of who gets the cable across the road?

Sounds like Pole needed in your garden job?

Are they running them under roads ? They may be reluctant to do that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

listermint wrote: »
    Sounds like Pole needed in your garden job?

Are they running them under roads ? They may be reluctant to do that

Thanks guys. Its not a boreen. It a road where you could have a car pass every few minutes.
    So the road is just off the N5, my house is 800m from the N5.
    They have it underground for the first 300m, then poles until just outside my house and then it goes underground once more and passes underground all the way down then and comes up again onto another pole which is about 10m passed my house.

Sorry if I have over complicated it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Thanks guys. Its not a boreen. It a road where you could have a car pass every few minutes.
    So the road is just off the N5, my house is 800m from the N5.
    They have it underground for the first 300m, then poles until just outside my house and then it goes underground once more and passes underground all the way down then and comes up again onto another pole which is about 10m passed my house.

Sorry if I have over complicated it!

If the line is the other side of the road, it'll be overhead to your house I would guess. Why it goes underground and then back to overhead might be to do with passing power lines or something.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pique wrote: »
    If the line is the other side of the road, it'll be overhead to your house I would guess. Why it goes underground and then back to overhead might be to do with passing power lines or something.

Thats it actually, there are power lines over head there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

QQ - SO the fibre is been rolled out to be enabled this year, its an "L" road that my house is on.
    The house doesn't have a phone line into it but it piped for a line to the edge of the road. The junction box is directly across from it, 3.2m to be exact.
    I was out in the car when they were pulling fiber down through that junction box and I asked them how they were going to get it into the house explaining that I had placed a pipe directly across from it.
    They said they don't do that.

So what are peoples experience of who gets the cable across the road?

I was told by pure that it'll be a pure technician that pipes it to my house.
    Not 100% sure how reliable the sales staff are but that's what she said.

Triangle wrote: »
    I was told by pure that it'll be a pure technician that pipes it to my house.
    Not 100% sure how reliable the sales staff are but that's what she said.

A previous post on this thread who got an install had KN do the install and his ISP was Digiweb. AFAIK the ISP doesn't do anything except provide the router. All other cabling is by NBI subcontractors like KN.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117104878&postcount=3031

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Pique wrote: »
    A previous post on this thread who got an install had KN do the install and his ISP was Digiweb. AFAIK the ISP doesn't do anything except provide the router. All other cabling is by NBI subcontractors like KN.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117104878&postcount=3031

Correct NBI sub contractors such as KN networks complete the fibre drop into customers premises. ISP supplies the modem, support, billing and backhaul network. No matter what ISP you go with the contractors completing the fibre install will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Can anyone tell what these boxes are called and their purpose? Are they some kind of signal booster?

https://i.imgur.com/YyVjoJw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

thats a distribution point for fibre

it can serve 8 to 12 houses with their own fibre drop enabling the gigabit speeds

the fibre cable from the DP would run from the pole its on either overhead if thats how your old copper phone line enters your house or if you have a duct then it would come in that way

depending on which pole the nearest DP is in relation to your own home might mean it travels from the DP underground to your nearest pole etc

DPs can also be underground in manholes, meaning you wont even know they are there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

BArra wrote: »
    thats a distribution point for fibre

it can serve 8 to 12 houses with their own fibre drop enabling the gigabit speeds

the fibre cable from the DP would run from the pole its on either overhead if thats how your old copper phone line enters your house or if you have a duct then it would come in that way

depending on which pole the nearest DP is in relation to your own home might mean it travels from the DP underground to your nearest pole etc

DPs can also be underground in manholes, meaning you wont even know they are there

Thank you. Good explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

I wouldn't give up hope yet Steve F.... They are well advanced with build out not too far from you on the R171 Dundalk side of KB so I'd say you are in line for a Aug-Oct hook-up.

I've seen the contractors in a good few places all around the roads over the past few months (small road that runs alongside the M1 towards Dromiskin for example). I'd say they are completely building out anything that's in this area while they have crews here.

Take a look around the road and see do you spot any new items on the telephone poles. You should see what looks like blue water pipe hanging on some of the poles or even gone fully up the poles at this stage and new black boxes on top of the poles. Not all poles will have ducting on them or black DP (drop points).

I'm down for a Aug-Oct connection and they look to be on schedule for that.

Various surveys done...Ducting laid....fibre pulled....DP's installed and terminated onto fibre......

Thats where I'm at so not sure how much more they have to do further back along the system.

Someone was going to or did post a timeline of the various steps in the build and test phase through to their circuit going live.

I can't seem to find it by searching. Does anyone have a link to it or can someone who is live give an estimate of what's involved in the latter stages of the build process?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

i did one but its related to eir ifn fibre rollout so not the exact same for NBI, but should be somewhat...similar. its on the Eir IFN FTTH rollout thread

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Some areas of Galway city can now order fiber on the NBI network. All seem to be dotted around the city and some west of the city, has anyone here signed up yet? Hopefully there will be more information on the rest of the county on the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Oireachtas Committee meeting - 7th July 2021

https://media.heanet.ie/page/1b6fded93f7345678f16e696689a5b34 (video) starts at 22 mins

"Discussion on access to the internet, particularly in relation to rural and regional locations and satellite internet access. Representatives from Novatel Communications, Digiweb, National Space Centre, Poynting"

NBP Interim Proposal - Committee proposed that rural premises could avail of a sliding subsidy for any of below options, based on how long they would have to wait for NBP.

Unsaid, but proposal seemingly assumes NBI/Govt are prepared to release full 7/6 year roll-out schedule.

Novatel - Hugo Carvalho (& Poynting rep)

https://www.novatel.ie/mobile-phone-signal-booster-kits-for-homes

Mobile booster solution. (StellaDoradus)

Proposition based on MNO claims of having 99% 4g geographic coverage.

Accepted that contention/congestion could become an issue.

Digiweb - Declan Campbell

GEO-satellite 

New higher capacity satellites (with "steerable beam technology") coming shortly.

Dedicated bandwidth for Ireland possible.

Latency issue remains - 600ms min.

National Space Centre Rory Fitzpatrick

(private company & Starlink ground station in Ireland)

LEO - Satellite (Starlink)

https://nationalspacecentre.eu

Optimistic, (says he'll be keeping his dish) but no idea how well system would work under full loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Was speaking to one of the workers on the road in Rochestown, Cork last week and he said about 3 weeks to launch. We're down as July-Aug so we'll see.

Guys out stringing fibre down my road yesterday. Near Knockcroghery in Co Roscommon. I was originally Aug - Oct 21 but currently Nov - Dec 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Whats happening on the 20th?

On a side note, I got word from Starkink yesterday that its now available to order in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

New dates from NBI should be released to ISPs around that time, they need to give 30 days notice before connections can happen according to people in Digiweb and other ISPs so i'm hoping i'll be connected in August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Any sign of a quarterly map update from DECC? I'm waiting since January to have them review my property for inclusion in the intervention area.

Big push around Ballinasloe in the last few weeks. Lots of jointing/splicing crews about. Most DPs in place. Last 'awkward' bits of work appear to be done. By awkward I mean sections that require civils like trenching and ducting, road crossings, a few areas that had little or no suitable Eir infrastructure etc.

Some testing going on as well.

Plenty of activity around the Enet exchange in the town. An estate or 2 and a few pockets of houses in the urban area and included in the IA being sorted.

I've noticed that they seem to have free reign on access to eir's infrastructure but if they even look at an Enet manhole it requires an Enet representative present. They don't do anything, just sit in their van and observe.

2 photos. Close up of DP and NBI branded pole. The NBI branded poles only appear to be used where a pole was never present but required.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

NBI timelines up to install day.

08 March 2020 – Road surveyed (NBI Eircode checker – area pending Survey)

March/April 2020 – NBI Eircode checker updated to: “Surveying Underway”  with go live date estimated as Jan-March 2021

15.05.20 NBI Eircode checker updated to “Survey Completed” with go live date estimated as Jan-March 2021

10.08.20 NBI Eircode checker go live dates changed to as Feb-April 2021

01 Sept 2020 – First sightings of NBI vans in the area

14 Sept 2020 – local newspaper reporting that network build has commenced in the area

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2020/09/14/build-for-national-broadband-network-begins-in-cavan/

24 Sept 2020 – Work on road commences; Secto branded NBI van and hoist - Damaged poles marked and ducting attached to poles.

28 Sept 2020 – Damaged poles replaced

05 Oct 2020 - NBI Eircode checker updated to "Network build in progress" and the go live date changed from Jan 2021 - March 2021 to February 2021 - April 2021

17.12.20 – NBI/Secto crew hang fibre cables on the poles

16.01.21 – NBI Billboards installed in the area

20.01.21 – NBI/Secto crew installed DPs

27.01.21 – Text from Digiweb “ Dear Customer, thank you for your recent Digiweb NBI pre order. Your target go live date is from February 2021. We will notify you as soon as we have any further updates. Digiweb 1800285828”

29.01.21 – Local newspaper reports first Cavan connection

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2021/01/29/the-allisons-make-a-a-piece-of-digital-history/?fbclid=IwAR2ehfyt8W-Dgpciv8mgPU8H713VxFSZ-1IFrXeX_lt3dun5b3xfgwDYF7A

29.01.21 – Some Cavan Eircodes update to “Available to order”

09.02.21 – NBI/Secto crew back on road installing additional DPs

15.03.21 - NBI Eircode checker updated to "Network build complete" and the go live date changed from Feb 2021 - April 2021 to January 2021 – May 2021"

01.04.21 NBI Eircode checker updated to go live date of 4th May 2021

04.05.21 NBI Eircode checker updated to “Available to order”

04.05.21 (9.00am) Text from Digiweb to confirm install date of 07.05.21

06.05.21 Call from KN installer to confirm installation time

07.05.21 KN installer arrived at 9.30am – install completed at 11.45

07.05.21 Speedtest run 551Mbps Download and 55.3Mbps upload (ping 6ms)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

That was me - I thought I'd posted it already, thanks for the reminder. Have posted this now this morning.

I have pictures on most to the posts over the last year or so but I can't upload all on the one post with the timelines.

Thanks for that @baz9375 I knew I had seen mention of it in the thread at some stage but couldn't find the timeline....

I'm at the post DP install so might get some update when the next batch of dates are handed over to the isp's on the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Quick question, my house is down a side road about 300m. There is a pole at the head of the road with the fibre duct running underground to a manhole outside my house.

I have a duct then from manhole to the small box on side of house.

I have liberated a roll of fibre from one of the KN lads who kindly gave it to me.

My intention is to pull the fibre myself from the manhole to the location where I want the router in the house.

I assume the installer will then be able to terminate the fibre in the manhole??

I have my doubts they will. All splices and joints would be planned and mapped in the design so I doubt an installer would splice onto an unknown cable off their own bat. If it's possible to run a cable from the manhole to the router why not just let them do it? They'll do a straight unjointed run from the pole to the router location via the manhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Lots of new fibre loops hanging from poles around Portrunny area in Roscommon and put up on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just got a text from Digiweb, will be receiving install date week beginning 16/08. We’re in Rochestown, Cork. Looks like they got 30 day notice today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I'm the same in Oranmore Galway. 16/08

Advertisement