Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like the New boards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you can change your preferences on desktop as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭freddieot

Not looking good and where are my forums gone. I'll come back in another week and check again to see if any improvements. The key thing about the old site was that it was quick and really easy to use. I can see a lot of posters not bothering any more if this does not get more user friendly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Absolute shambles. Why fix what's not broken and then completely destroy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Evade

Is it just my computer or is everything on the desktop version off centre? There's nearly twice as much blank space on the right side as the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Have muddled around it on desktop and mobile for an hour and thus far, hate it. Desktop is far too bright for my liking, its a nightmare to find anything but Im hoping that will improve.

click on the Bell icon then click on the 3 Lines icon

No offence taken., but many like me who are even fairly computer savvy to be fair don't want a tutorial so Boards can justify the cost the IT guys must have spent on this disaster, they just won't be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭2 fast

Nope don't get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭2 fast

👅

New emojis give it a reprieve. Forums changing is always a bit jarring at first.

Ah got that yep 👍️

More profile options available on mobile still - quote levels unless I've missed that on desktop.

PS I like the reply to post notification

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thanks for that I'd edited that this morning then for the life of me couldn't find it again. Is it just me or should the feature also have a link from Edit Profile.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cardstocollect

Is there treads missing? I was following a discussion about Civil Service HEO 2021and I can't find it now🤔

It should be available as a link from your profile. I'm sure they have a lot of other things to fix before they get around to that. For instance they should remove the massive amount of whitespace that gets added when you quote a post. I can only see a single quoted post at a time. Its ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Boards is going to run out of money soon anyway.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Satoshi_Nakamoto

• Is anyone else not able to log into their original accounts? I keep getting this message: "Sorry, no account could be found related to the email/username you entered." when I try to log in. Please bring this to the attention of the admins -- I hope that my thirteen year old account hasn't been accidentally purged or deleted. I can't be the only one experiencing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

yes I had but there seems to be no option now to subscribe to the threads you want notifications for, it's now all or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Hurgle burgle, people love a good moan...

I feel sorry for the devs anyway cause that was a joke that downtime, they obviously weren't putting on any O/T in vanilla to get things back up

Site will be grand once we all get used to it, but yeah there's probably a bit of work to do yet, still good to see a move to new tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

New Boards looks like circa 2005 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

are you for real? how is this a good move? its so slow I can't really use it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I used to look at Most Thanked posts, often hit on threads that way that I wouldn't necessarily have read at all, otherwise. Ah well.

I couldn't find any of the private groups last night, e.g Ranting and Raving, no, wait I found them but there was nothing in them. Haven't checked today to see if that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

My new avatar looks like it's from the cover of a '90's Rave Generation Album III'. When do I start dropping yokes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Looks like I’m late to the party. I can’t find all my threads 😔

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ABSOLUTELY WAY TOO MUCH WASTED SPACE ON A FULL PAGE

I Honestly dont get it... why ????

surely there was a sample of the finished product offered to the business before the order was put in.

If so, does this reflect what was promised?

if yes, who the hell signed off on this abomination.

I did an experiment a minute ago........ a page of 30 posts took 18 rolls of my roller ball to go from top to bottom... 18 ROLLS !!!

Thats less than 2 posts per roll... and looking at the above attachment of a full page, its not hard to see why.

and as a cherry on top... the slowness of the site is painful today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

So much wrong, I don't know where to start. Ultimately, most has been already said, but it really gives the impression that this is a half-baked idea from an amateur/graduate who has no professional experience. Clearly, no thought given to the UX, Change Management, Testing, User Feedback, Deployment, Migration etc. I am at a loss for words when trying to imagine what the boards team were thinking when they did this. While this won't "kill" boards, I fear, given boards decline in recent years, this will expedite that decline.

Just to be clear, this is not about it being "different", I'm perfectly happy with that. It's just that it is only half-baked, and the disastrous deployment only highlights the abilities of the team behind this and leaves little confidence that it will ever become "fully-baked".

I used to be involved in doing migrations from legacy systems to our product. We would typically do 4 to 5 test migrations before the final live migration. If we had produced something of this quality after test migration 1 our customers would have been pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Based on the touch site I find it almost unusable, I'm afraid. Without being melodramatic, I'd say I'll be giving up on the site

It's basically impossible to follow in the way I always used to. I'm having to look for specific threads, rather than being able to discover new ones

- the biggest thing is no followed forums, that's how I always navigated

- no way to see if a thread has updated, needs last updated user and time as before

- the stickied threads need to be formatted differently so you can scroll past them easily

- I can see people discussing the value of finding users posts, I think it's very useful, but finding my own is essential

Hopefully they're fairly easy fixes, they'd make a massive difference to my use of the site

ETA: oh, are email alerts for updates to followed threads gone?

• Advertisement

Just looked at that again and the button at the top of that screen says "Back to Profile".

At the top of the page at the right opposite the thread title there is a flag that says its a bookmark but still not 100% sure what it does.

yes but you can't go directly from the Profile page to that Preferences page.

That was my point - insert smiley of you choice tooooooo much choice is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I got promoted to level 3 too.... What does that actually mean?

Maybe I'll get less hassle from a certain mod, furtively looks over his shoulder....

See yas in a week lads he's suffering from banitis I'm surely first to get the lash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Hopefully this is all just temporary and it's just a process in getting to the intended final design. Even if it is temporary, there should have been an announcement stating that fact. It worries me that there hasn't been and that most of the UI we see is permanent (besides a few bugs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭con747

Not going to be on it much anymore if this is anyway near the end product. 🙄

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• I got a promotion and I didn’t even apply for the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

as you were, no idea how to delete this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don't know what version I was using before on my mobile, but this is a disaster in comparison. I can't find anything. It's completely unusable.

I can only hope this isn't the final version or I'm off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Cannot get into soccer ?

For once I do not think that I am banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Are the subscribers forums gone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

whoops... Vanilla logo instead of Boards logo when site is squished into responsive format

A dung heap of a format. Hate it.

Looks like they've fixed the white space issue when quoting posts.

Used to be able to put in a page number and get to/back where you want to/left off in a thread. It was a little box to the right of the page no's. Don't think that can be done on this iteration of the website.

• Advertisement

Advertisement