Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Booking deposit has being paid. Let the excitement begin.

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Apparently, for now, it is limited to ID.3 first movers but the process you have listed above is correct.

They might just accept your request to be included. After all it is the same software in both cars so no technical reason why they cant add an ID.4 to the list but they did say ID.3 first movers only initially.

Once you send that email, the next step is a reply (not immediately) where you click on an "Agree" button to show your agreement to have the update pushed to your car. Then you just wait for your car to pickup the update... apparently the car checks once a week or so for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Hi Folks,

Query for you on the ACC,

Went for a spin at the weekend and had the Acc set to 74km as I was taking it easy on a normal road with a car up in front,

When I approached a small village there was a sign for 80km which the car read and immediately decided to speed up to 80km even though I had set it to 74.

Same thing happened on the way out of the village after passing the 60km sign it sped up again to 80km then 100km after reading the speed signs, even though the ACC was set ?

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this,

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

Yes, Robbie, this has happened to me as well. It takes the local road signs and changes whatever was the setting up to that point. Can be very annoying if speed is set slightly over as well.

Thats normal.

You can disable the sign recognition feature in the menu if you wish, so that it will stick to your desired speed. The idea though is that it will save you getting a speeding ticket in case you miss a reduced speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Seriously annoyed here! Didn't get fixed in Wexford in the end and was arranged to be done in VW Cork today - with Mr Windscreen (one of Aviva's approved windscreen agents) replacing with a new VW windscreen supplied by VW Cork, and VW Cork then calibrating the cameras when Mr Windscreen finish. Dropped car this morning* and walked the 4km to work (coz no loaner FFS) but got a phone call a while ago saying that VW never ordered the windscreen in (because Mr W need to pay them for it upfront and their card was declined!!!)....which Mr W discover AFTER they've have taken out the cracked windscreen - this is now being put back in (and cameras still need to be calibrated!) and turns out there's no screen in the UK so I have to wait 2 weeks or so for one to come in from the UK. What a clusterfuck.....and I have to walk 4km back after!

*Mr W office told me to drop it 10am. Got phone call this morning 9.15 looking for me as Mr W guy was there at 9am. He then apparently fecked off for coffee.......and only came back at 2! And these are an insurance approved crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TheSpinmaster

Picked up my Id4 City (52kwh) last week. Very impressed with it so far. It seems very efficient for normal day to day city driving.

that's the one i'm getting in 12-28 weeks.... what colour did you go for? post a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Loads of silly anti ev comments on a FB post from ESB Careers.

The old hoary chestnut of Hydrogen Fuel cells being dragged up as a viable alternative instead of EVs

https://fb.watch/v/1eXqGhOyP/

Viable until you have to produce the hydrogen then it becomes a very inefficient process that would be much more efficient to charge batteries.

Most ICE owners forget that their petrol and diesel has a long process from Oil Well to Refinery to pump and it's also a very energy intensive process.

I can see a future for HGV use where batteries are probably not going to be practical for long distance Lorry drivers for example, buses, perhaps one day trains and planes but there's no real reason we can't electrify out tiny rail network or even upgrade it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Facebook is even worse for the crazies than the conspiracy theories forum on boards :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

What 11kw wall charger have people opted for?

The vast majority wouldnt be opting for 11kW wall chargers as they are 3 phase and houses in this country are typically single phase. Do you have 3 phase?

If you are lucky enough to have 3 phase at home then its down to what features you want from the charge point. Most of the high end charge points have single and 3-phase models (e.g ID Charger, Zappi, etc)

11kW??? Have you got 3 phase, because you'll max out at 7kW if you don't

FWIW the Zappi comes in a 3 phase 22kW version

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Grand, thought you'd managed to swing a higher power connection from the ESB

Basically most of the chargers today seem fine. I've got an EO Mini and a Zappi, both are good in their own ways. My mum has the ID Charger connect, she's had no issues but I believe the software is extremely basic. Wallbox also seem to get good reviews

You might want to check with any electricians you know to see what brand they're familiar with as well

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

Just confirmation that mine was finished in production last Friday...getting excited now.

52kWH Style

I’ve an electric shower so need to get one that does load management, looking at the EO mini pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Latest version of the IOS app released this week (1.18.0)

Air Conditioning on the home screen is now on a slider instead of steps up/down.

Nothing else I can see has been changed, seems a bit more responsive when syncing with the car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,079 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The review we've all been waiting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Quick question on something I've been meaning to figure out for a while. Is there much difference between the driving modes (Eco, Comfort, Sport) in terms of efficiency, 'performance', etc? I've tried using them all, I can see Sport engages some regen by default (afaik it doesnt matter if you're in B/D) and Youtube videos testing 0-100kph seemed to be a bit quicker using Sport (not important but interesting to see).

For the others Eco or Comfort, I tend to leave it on Eco to try improve range but not sure it will make much difference. I can see in the Custom mode the various settings that are be adjusted for each, but do they really make much difference? Its not a high end sport car so probably wont have a big impact either way I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

I am in the same boat. The last i heard from dealer was it should be with them around 29-30th July. (Start Assembly 08/07/2021   

Final Assembly 09/07/2021  ). Its 52 kWH City. Cant wait

Eco will deaden the throttle and it will also reduce the a/c and heating so it will give you more range as a result. I wouldnt be using eco unless I was stuck. Drive the car as you would any car and enjoy it. Turning off a/c and the like to get extra range is a step too far in my view and to be honest its just not required anymore on modern EV's.

Similar enough for me, ordered 25th of June, start of assembly was around the 5th of July. Hopefully be with the dealer at the end of the month.

They're not making any promises on shipping though, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭crassusg

Ordered April should have been built last week VW saying it could be an extra 3 weeks as the chip shortage if effecting throughput ....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭crassusg

So you ordered in June and have delivery in August ? That's decent

Yeah, it's very quick, fingers crossed no delay in shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Tried out my new extension cable with the granny charger today at the house I’m staying at. Selected the reduce AC option for the first time as it’s an old house. All worked well, no issues.

Went out for the afternoon and used an easygo and Esb charger during the day/evening. Was wondering why I was getting such a low charge from the units……realised I hadn’t put the AC back to normal power, quick check of the app and back to normal.

Leason learned

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Morning All,

Was in the service station on M9 Kilcullen over the weekend, used the normal (slow) charger as It was the first time I had ever charged in public, I never noticed the high power charger right beside it, I'm putting it down to sunstroke!

We have a base ID4, will this charge faster on the High power esb charging units?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi Robbie. The short answer is yes, and the highest power plug you can get will give you the fastest potential charging speed.

The long answer is:

The base ID.4 has 58kWh battery running at 400 Volts. The High Power Charger at Kilcullen runs at at max of 400 Amp, so 400V X 400A=1600kW DC but your car can only take 100kW DC (that's a limitation VW have put on it to protect the battery, it's commonplace). Theoretically you can get 100kW from the HPC at Kilcullen but that would required your battery to be warm enough, and the battery state of charge (%) to be low enough.

There are other HPC variants, like at portlaoise plaza. These have 2 CCS plugs on them. 1 rated for 200kW max, and the other 350kW max. Consequently they're also 200A and 350a respectively. Since your car battery pack still runs at 400V, using the 200A rated cable will limit you to 80kW, vs the 350A rated cable which would be able to deliver 140kW (if your car allowed). The reason they're listed as 200kW and 350kW, yet you can only get 80/140kW is because the unit itself can run at 1000V. No car can run at 1000V AFAIK but the unit can deliver it.

The regular 50kW units run at 125A, so your 400V battery pack can take the full 50kW.

Advertisement