Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Killiney beach was utter bedlam yesterday afternoon, couldn't get in or out with the car park full and people parked on the double yellow lines everywhere meaning traffic was at a standstill, took us half an hour to get away from the station area. Can only imagine what its like today. We have the pool in the garden and the bbq prepped, no jams for us today!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Have to admit I had a bit of difficulty sleeping last night, woke up several times with the warmth and then the sunlight lighting up the room from very early. As fantastic as this hot spell is the nights are going in only one direction over the next 5 days and that's warmer. By Tuesday night some places particularly in the west may not get any cooler than 20 or 21C and then back up to high twenties or 30C during Wednesday. The very warm nights look like continuing into the weekend too with mid to high teens just before sunrise. The mean temperature by the end of July should be interesting. Before this hot spell began the mean was already above average despite the unsettled first 10 days of the month due to the constant run of very mild nights throughout this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Thank you, Supercell. You’ve made my mind up. Won’t get into it here but I have serious health considerations to consider. Hubs is going to take a day off work this week and we’ll do some swimming then.

We were actually going to go to Lough Lene in Westmeath yesterday but couldn’t and just as well. Discovered today that there’s an advisory to not swim there for the next week due to water quality issues. 😳 Always good to check these things out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

We always head to Portmarnock beach on hot days but didn't even attempt it as was bedlam yesterday.

Headed to relatives instead who live within walking distance of beach so no parking issues + much quieter beach.

It's the paddling pool and BBQ out the back today and it's great.

There is more of a slight breeze today here than yesterday, still roasting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Sunny and 25 degrees in Dublin, it’s just perfection. So balmy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The nights are tough to get to sleep in this heat. I tossed and turned like a bastard all night last night. Having dreams much of the night which meant I never had a proper deep sleep, couldn't get into a proper deep sleep.

I found two summers ago unbearably humid even though it wasn’t that sunny or warm a summer so last summer invested in an industrial fan (I was fed up of cheapo ones that break easily and aren’t even that effective). It mocked me all last summer and I cursed it. How loud it was wasn’t worth it, the summer was so crappy and not even humid. It felt like a stupid purchase. Two summers ago was crappy too but humid so the industrial fan would have still been needed in our third floor apartment.

Well, that €70 industrial fan has just paid for itself alone in the last few days. We’ve even figured out how to position it so that we can have it on all night without keeping us awake. It is so powerful and amazing. I’d kiss the blades if the resulting accident wouldn’t send me to A&E. 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Well it depends on your personal preferences. I've just completed a 3 hour sunbathing session inland in kildare. Was in my microclimate garden with shade temperatures in excess of 30° with the non sheltered adjacent garden hovering between 27° and 28°. Did I enjoy lying there for those 3 hours with sweat pouring from me non-stop? Yes, absolutely! Would I have rather have been at the beach/coast where it's much cooler and with a breeze? Absolutely not! I wouldn't mind if it was another 5° warmer. I adore high temperatures, it's just in my DNA.

I would have been so disappointed if I'd been in coastal Dublin today knowing that I'd be missing out on the proper warmth.

It's all about personal preferences. 30° to 35° with calm conditions is heaven for me. Certainly not for everyone, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Came into Dublin City centre and the cool breeze down the Liffey is to die for. Heading back to the inland oven now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It has been awhile since we have have two days in a row over 27C in Castlebar, some serious congestion and tailbacks around the beaches in Mayo this weekend.

• Advertisement

I… think the temperatures aren’t going to hit yesterday’s heights anywhere today. They seem a bit more pegged back (relatively speaking) in more places today. Happy to eat my words on that though. 😊

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yep today's temperatures while still high are genearally 2 to 3C cooler in many places because of onshore breezes and there is much cooler air moving into parts of Donegal and Northern Ireland today and tomorrow. By Tuesday we could be seeing yesterday's temperatures again widely and Wednesday has the potential to be even hotter with 29 or 30C being more widespread. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Wednesday, would love to see perhaps one more upgrade in the models for Wednesday's heat potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

26.0C max in Cobh today on my station. Too hot for me, but others seem to be enjoying it. Definately gonna be some burnt people at work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Aye Athenry and Oak Park are were reading 28.2 & 27.9c at 16:00. Oak Park hit 28.2 on the 15:30 reading.

Quite extensive fair weather cloud to my south where Oak Park is the last hour or two - possibly held things back a little there. In my locality in S.Kildare, in between two streams of more extensive cumulus so remaining sunny. Local WOW is @ 29.2c.

Athenry and mount Dillon 29 degrees at 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Intermittent cloud all day in Athenry stopping the temperature from pushing on. Highest I've seen is 29.2.

It looks like it might be clearing a bit now so could push on in the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In Cork it feels even hotter today than yesterday. No breeze to speak of. Borderline oppressive

Sea breeze has kicked in more here now, reached a high earlier in the afternoon of 26C and currently 24C. The difference in temperature between yesterday and today is fairly noticeable and the breeze is very refreshing, managed to get the grass cut too, it was way too hot yesterday for any sort of gardening but today is perfect for outdoor work.

Beautiful too down here in Arklow just 19c in the heavenly breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm out sunbathing about 15 km inland from coastal Dublin and there's a fairly strong breeze having a cooling effect on the temperatures. It was much hotter in the same location this time yesterday when there wasn't a puff!

• Advertisement

Well, the thing is, with low 20°c days, you don’t get that holiday evening balminess where you can sit around an outdoor table until 11pm with drinks. As soon as the sun dips below the buildings, I find the chill sets in.

With mid-to-high 20°c days, you get that holiday balminess. I just love sitting around shooting the breeze outdoors in recliner deck chairs, not worrying about the sun moving out of the shade. It is bliss and something that is a big part of me flinging money at sun holidays.

I think it’s too late now for 30°C. None of the stations have hit it at 6pm.

Tuesday and Wednesday will be the days for 30C. Too much sea breeze today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Having lived in Australia and Asia for a few years I found the sweet spot for me was highs around 30-35C with overnight lows around 20C. Used to love being able to sit outside at midnight in shorts and t-shirt listening to the crickets. Very rarely you can do that here as even on hot days the temperature just drops off too quickly after 8pm.

Definitely no chance this evening anyway, dark and overcast most of the day in Letterkenny with a chilly breeze, sun has been coming out briefly every now and again but no prolonged spells.

What a sensational weekend of weather, bbq out yet again. Sun splitting the blue sky, temperature still in 20s. Bring on the week ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Would anyone have any updates on next Saturday (childs party arrangments under way and weather will dictate what we do) i have heard of a breakdown from Friday evening, is that still the case, don’t think I have seen any further update on the treads and wonder if anyone can suggest what charts are showing? Hoping we might squeeze one final weekend out of this before it does break

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Possibly by Friday but even today the chance to break this year's temperature records has extended to Thursday evening on the ECM so keep an eye because this can still extend further...

Just 17.4c in Arklow now

We'll soon need a Geansaí

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Malin Head had a high of 16c today. I had a quick look at the last 3 days and it never hit the 20c mark. 18.8c was the highest on Friday at 10am. All the madder still when North had its highest temperature on record yesterday. Different planet up there.

Advertisement