Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The good news is if you're unhappy with what's happening you can move to the UK because they're relaxing restrictions on the 19th of July.

And if I wasn't tied to this country for family reasons that's probably exactly what I'd do to be honest (or possibly somewhere else entirely), and not just because of our Covid response.

But "if you don't like it, leave" is always a poor answer to poor standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And if I wasn't tied to this country for family reasons that's probably exactly what I'd do to be honest (or possibly somewhere else entirely), and not just because of our Covid response.

But "if you don't like it, leave" is always a poor answer to poor standards.

So is your answer to another poster telling them to stay at home not a poor answer as well? Or are you allowed to be a hypocrite and have different standards. Enjoy your move to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

*sigh* if we're resorting to being pedantic now well then I'm not sure I can help much, but sure..

you mustn't have much of an argument though if it's this nonsense you're resorting to.

Nothing pedantic about it, it's black and white, you either lied/exagerated in thread or you mis read it and are too proud to admit you made a mistake.

For the fourth time of asking where did you read that the mask legislation had "technically expired"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Acosta wrote: »
    I was already queuing at the point all the kids came in, which is why I had to time to observe and do a headcount smart arse.

Nothing smart-arse about it,in fact what you now suggest is that you were in a dynamic queing environment,not on the shop floor,and yet devoted time to counting,presumably moving individuals ?

Were there many in the queue ?
    Was it an outdoor queue ?
    Was it windy or raining ?
    Did the unfacecovered children spend more than 15 minutes in direct face to face contact with you ?

This is where a mere headcount is'nt enough though.

As another poster pointed out,online shopping and doorstep delivery is about the only way,I can see to allay your fears in this particular regard.

It may yet transpire that Society will require two seperate routes out of the current situation.

One for those who have retained or developed a sense of Confidence,Purpose or Risk Acceptance.

One for those who are less confident,and/or requiring additional specific supports at all levels before re-entering greater Society.

Not an easy call I'm afraid ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Seanergy wrote: »
    Nothing pedantic about it, it's black and white, you either lied/exagerated in thread or you mis read it and are too proud to admit you made a mistake.

For the fourth time of asking where did you read that the mask legislation had "technically expired"

The posters error is,in part down to the methods by which Government has stretched out the specific provisions of Sec 31 A or the 1947 Health Act.

Very little active debate,and all the relevant details well placed away from Public Gaze.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/act/1/enacted/en/html

Perhaps the most relevant part of the entire legislation is the following....
    An Act, to make exceptional provision, in the public interest and having regard to the manifest and grave risk to human life and public health posed by the spread of the disease known as Covid-19 and in order to mitigate, where practicable, the effect of the spread of the disease known as Covid-19, to amend the Health Act 1947 to confer a power on the Minister for Health to make regulations prohibiting or restricting the holding of certain events or access to certain premises and to provide for enforcement measures; to provide for powers for certain medical officers of health to order, in certain circumstances, the detention of persons who are suspected to be potential sources of infection with the disease known as Covid-19 and to provide for enforcement measures in that regard; and to confer on the Minister for Health the power to designate areas as areas of infection of Covid-19 and to provide for related matters; to amend and extend the Social Welfare Acts to provide for amendments in relation to entitlement to illness benefit for persons who have been diagnosed with, or are a probable source of infection with the disease known as Covid-19; and to provide for amendments in relation to jobseeker’s benefit and jobseeker’s allowance to mitigate the economic effects of the spread of the disease known as Covid-19; and to provide for related matters.

[20th March, 2020]

WHEREAS an emergency has arisen of such character that it is necessary for compelling reasons of public interest and for the common good that extraordinary measures should be taken to deal with the immediate, exceptional and manifest risk to human life and public health posed by the spread of the disease known as Covid-19;

AND WHEREAS the State is and its citizens are, in significant respects, highly exposed to the effect of the spread of the disease known as Covid-19; and having regard to the constitutional duty of the State to respect and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate the rights of citizens to life and to bodily integrity, it is necessary to introduce a range of extraordinary measures and safeguards to prevent, minimise, limit or slow the risk of persons being infected with the disease known as Covid-19;

AND WHEREAS as a consequence it is necessary for the State to take the measures in this Act to address the emergency and to defend and vindicate the rights of citizens to life and to bodily integrity;

Public Transport,for example is covered (!) by a new S.I. (273) which amends the original S.I.244 in regard of timescale. (Now required until the 9Th NOVEMBER 2021.

What's the bets we'll see Santy Beard Covid Masks for sale on Henry St for Christmas ? :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The posters error is,in part down to the methods by which Government has.....

No it is not, poster said according to this.
    That reminds me. Did they formally sign the extension into law in the end?

Last I read it technically has expired

You cannot blame the government in part for this.

If it was a misread by the poster, the 2nd paragraph is the only real option, or the poster was spreading misinformation.

2nd paragpraph:

The Upper House agreed, without a vote, an “early signature motion” requesting the President to sign the Bill into law before next Wednesday when the powers would otherwise lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The fourth time! Why on earth are you badgering somebody about such a trivial thing, all he did was ask a question?

So Margaret Buttimer spent the weekend in prison.

She was due to appear in court on Friday but instead managed to get herself arrested on Thursday for breaching the conditions of her bail.

She will be in court today.

https://www.southernstar.ie/news/bandon-gran-remanded-to-limerick-prison-for-the-weekend-4226004

• Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So Margaret Buttimer spent the weekend in prison.

She was due to appear in court on Friday but instead managed to get herself arrested on Thursday for breaching the conditions of her bail.

She will be in court today.

https://www.southernstar.ie/news/bandon-gran-remanded-to-limerick-prison-for-the-weekend-4226004

The poor woman, you think some family would step in to take care of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭manonboard

The fourth time! Why on earth are you badgering somebody about such a trivial thing, all he did was ask a question?

*Clap Clap* :D . I think some people really need to make others feel publicly put down, rather than just letting it go and continuing to have a chat.

a5b.png

• Advertisement

Why are on earth are you inserting yourself into something without knowing the slightest bit about it?

Poster did not ask a question. Poster made a statement. When questioned about the statement, he cited literature, which on examaination did not say what the poster said it did, in original statement.

Why, because this is exactly how misinformation spreads. A few posts later in reply to the poster's 'Last I read it technically has expired' we get this.
    Gortanna wrote: »
    I've been wondering about that as well. I heard it had expired and that it hadn't been extended. But maybe it was extended.

I read, I heard, misinformation, Trivial?

manonboard wrote: »
    *Clap Clap* :D . I think some people really need to make others feel publicly put down, rather than just letting it go and continuing to have a chat.

Big difference between putting someone down and pulling them up.

BTW that has to be the sealiest thing posted in this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's very simple... the same people texting radio stations and posting on social media complaining about people not following restrictions or not taking it as seriously as they do, are the same people who in the Good and Bad times were more concerned about what their neighbours had or were getting away with that they didn't/weren't (Leo even tried to capitalise on it with his "Welfare cheats cheat us all" campaign)

Begrudgery, envy and curtain-twitching is the unofficial national sport, but such people are always best ignored.

Hope that helps clarify for you.

I'm sorry, but nope!

That kind of behaviour was here well before covid and I believe it's gonna stay with us for eternity.

Still haven't got a clue what does it have to do with the mask wearing. The least restrictive measure.

Does anyone know if she had been vaccinated, or is she against that too?

She opted not to receive the Covid-19 vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I don't, but if this is anything to go by, in her first trial, Judge Roberts queried whether Ms Buttimer had previously suggested she may have a medical reason for refusing to wear a mask but she denied this and said: "I feel it is my freedom is being taken."

Any anti-maskers in thread got the jab yet?

She may well find out the true definition of freedom being taken away fairly soon.

I’ve had both my AZ jabs. For all the good it’s done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She opted not to receive the Covid-19 vaccine.

Poor woman

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Has anyone else noticed it’s mostly just skangers and lowlifes who dont wear masks in shops and on public transport now?

Margaret Buttimer got jailed, 90 days. Judge said it was a case of duties and rights, something that has been discussed on here at great length.

She got 30 days per breach with the Judge holding back and keeping two breaches in the back pocket.

Her solicitor will not appeal.

Fingers crossed she returns to her family with a changed attitude and does not slip onto any other path.

This transparent surgical mask just got FDA approved. There is no filter. The air goes in and comes out the sides.

• Advertisement

Only 18 fines issued by AGS in June. I can't see compliance increasing only decreasing.

Mask-wearing in Ireland is slipping, but compliance will likely increase as Delta rises

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Trust me - I know more than anyone

😀

The mandating of masks during Melbourne’s COVID-19 second wave in July 2020 was the single-most important control measure and “turned the epidemic around”, new world-leading Burnet Institute research shows.

“It was the critical step that turned it around.”

How will all those anti-maskers cope with this news? But masks don't work!!!

They wrongly advised against masks and had people think distancing was the best option. Well it is if someone is sick, that is obvious. With this it is completely different, being infectious before showing symptoms.

Not to mention, to save face our own crowd are continuing on saying that masks aren't a substitute for distancing.

Maybe with the next pandemic they might have better management of it. A year and a half into this one, nothing will change now.

The HSE Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control (AMRIC) division is “considering” the findings of a preprint study which reported that introduction of FFP3 respirators on Covid-19 wards provided up to 100 per cent protection against direct ward-based infection in healthcare workers (HCWs).

Current HSE guidance states HCWs should have access to a FFP2 mask (and eye protection) when in contact with possible or confirmed Covid-19 cases and contacts.

Meanwhile, the HSE has agreed “an updated purchasing policy” for PPE of maintaining a minimum 12-week contingency stock, based on weekly demand derived from IPC clinical guidance.

“In addition to the contingency stock, the HSE currently holds 26 weeks of type IIR surgical masks and 22 weeks of FFP2 respirator masks. The supply of FFP3s and PARPs [powered air-purifying respirators] is managed outside the national PPE supply chain, as neither of these products are included in the World Health Organisation recommendations for supply of PPE to meet Covid-19 requirements.”

In the week commencing 5 July, demand for type IIR surgical masks was 4.09 million units and for FFP2 masks it was 0.069 million. Prices for type IIR surgical masks range between €0.09 and €0.23, while prices for FFP2 masks range from €1.10 to €1.50 depending on source of supply.

It seems "all those anti - maskers" are coping well enough,as in,they remain alive and able to protest.

Victoria Police have vowed to take action after thousands of anti-lockdown protestors have marched through Melbourne today, defying current public health orders.

Demonstrators sprawled across the city and outnumbered the hundreds of police officers in attendance, to oppose the current COVID-19 lockdown.

It sure looks more widely supported than the Irish equivalent on Grafton St ?

Australia in general now appears to have a rapidly increasing Public Confidence and Order situation,drawing upon it's much lauded early "Shut the Door" policy,which now seems largely discounted ?

We may yet see the Antipodes as the crucible of some form of mass reluctance to accept the policies of unelected "Experts","Advisers" and Politicians who seem uniquely detached from the needs of the sans culottes.

The next 10 days will be interesting Down Under.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What an anti-masker (like I am) will say is that the linked article is heavy on grand statements and light (non-existent?) on numbers, methodologies and facts. If there is an actual study I would like the see the figures and the methodology and the conclusions and how they arrived at them. Not just 10 paragraphs of how masks turned it around and are great over and over again.

• Advertisement

You clearly didn't read the study that was linked in the article.

Advertisement