Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First olympic transgender athlete to compete at Tokyo 2020 **MOD NOTE IN OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

"One doesn’t need a crystal ball to imagine if it were a 19 year old girl had missed that penalty, the kind of personal abuse she would be subjected to on social media. It’s not unreasonable to conclude that’s one of the main reasons why young girls drop out of sports, they see how people like them are regarded and treated, and figure the personal abuse they would inevitably experience just isn’t worth it."

That's some reach even for you ,I can only imagine how many more girls will walk away from sports knowing that opportunities to complete Will be taken away from them by men who want to compete as women in womens events ,what would be the point of any girl starting on a journey to becoming an Olympic athlete or sport stars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Are you seriously comparing people who disagree with a trans woman competing against women, with the racist arseholes who abused the English soccer players? If you're putting them in the same category that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That's some reach even for you ,I can only imagine how many more girls will walk away from sports knowing that opportunities to complete Will be taken away from them by men who want to compete as women in womens events ,what would be the point of any girl starting on a journey to becoming an Olympic athlete or sport stars

Its not a reach though, it’s reality, it’s happening now, daily -

You can imagine whatever you like, but at least I can support my opinions with evidence which is grounded in reality and not just based upon whatever my imagination can conceive (and I’ll be the first to admit the value of my imagination to anyone else, is fcukall!), but you appear to be concentrating only on children being entitled to become Olympians, as opposed to what I’m actually talking about which is encouraging more children to participate in and become involved in sports.

Your attitude just exemplifies the main issue with putting that kind of pressure on children and research has shown that it doesn’t make Olympians, it just turns children off participating in sports. It’s one of the reasons why I suggested that people watch the documentary with Anna Geary, because it explores the actual reasons why children and especially girls drop out of sports in their teenage years - because they don’t want to deal with the pressure from adults to compete and to be competitive. They just want to participate in sports. In reality, the vast majority of of girls who want to participate in sports couldn’t care less if the guy or guys playing sports with them have 20 mickeys between them and are all built like brick shìthouses -

No, that’s not the comparison I’m making. People simply disagreeing with men participating in women’s events are one thing, and they generally either keep their opinions to themselves, or express their opinions in echo chambers where they’re pretty certain everyone agrees with their opinions already and they’re all on the same page that they “can’t say what they’re thinking for fear of being excluded”, or “a backlash” or sanctioned, or worst of all, being “cancelled” 🙄

No, what I was comparing is the likelihood of how women participating in what are considered “men’s sports” would be regarded and treated, as they pretty much are now, by people who portray themselves as being the “guardians” of who is or isn’t entitled to participate in “their” sports, y’know, the type that appear to make it their personal mission in life to break people’s balls, doesn’t matter how, doesn’t matter whether or not they’re racist or anything else (and I personally don’t care whether or not they’re racist or whatever else).

They’re very quick to point out they’re not racist, they’re just enthusiastic fans, or it’s a bit of banter, or it’s all part of the sport and it comes with the territory of being an elite athlete or competing at a high level (any level really beyond the egg and spoon race at the school sports day, and even then…), but that’s why I didn’t point out that anyone is racist or anything else, because they would have found any reason to vindicate themselves and justify abusing players personally for “their” teams loss. The fact that it is the team manager who makes decisions as to who is taking penalties is neither here nor there in their minds, it’s irrelevant, same way it’s irrelevant that participants in the Olympics are decided by a national committee, and not by the individual athletes themselves.

All the responsibility for “their” teams loss rests on the shoulders of the individual they hold responsible for their teams loss, and if that individual is a woman, well that’s the reason why their team lost, and she must be made personally aware as far as they’re concerned that she is responsible for “their” teams loss, not because of anything related to her athletic or sporting abilities, but because she’s a woman, and women don’t belong in “the men’s game”, any more than men don’t belong in “women’s sports”.

Of course when the spotlight is cast upon themselves, well that’s just “unfairrrrrr” as far as they’re concerned, and “nobody deserves this abuse” -

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What's racism got to do with men who's self identify as trans women competing against women and girls in their sports exactly ,

It's completely two different issues , racism in sports goes back 100 odd years , football , cricket , rugby , swimming , basketball , American football , Motorsports .there is history of racism in all Sports ,

How's to revitalise women's and girls sports let's let men take part and it will be better because they are inclusive ,but it's fine to exclude girls and women who cant or do not want to compete against men ,

All ground roots sports are in decline not because of elitism or fear of getting given out to ,and more to do with parents handing children electronic devices before they can even walk for crying out loud and add sure you don't have to do it want to ,that person in charge can't tell you anything you did wasn't right or a mistake or that person can't raise their voices because little Mary or Johnny might cry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Funny, I can't find an article that checked to see how many male elite sports athletes get abused online... Seems no one cares to check, or I just didn't Google hard enough. How about these people (men and women) get rid of their social media accounts and just concentrate on the sport? Oh, they'd lose money from advertising I suppose...

Good old Jack - conflating and just dumping stuff until people stop engaging. As I said many moons ago, he'd find an argument in an empty room.

I explained already what one thing has to do with the other, and for what it’s worth, I don’t think it has anything to do with racism per se, and everything to do with some people who have this mad notion that it’s they who gets to decide or determine who does or doesn’t have the right to participate in “their” sports. They’re the kind of people who will take it upon themselves to ensure people they don’t want participating in “their” sports, know they’re not welcome, make sure those people know that it’s because of them, that “their” sports are ruined, that they can no longer enjoy sports because it’s ruined for them now… and they expect people should give a shìt!

I don’t remember anyone arguing it was fine to exclude anyone btw, sounds like something you made up yourself just to argue against it, but if anyone wants to exclude themselves, on the basis that they’re not taken seriously when they want to exclude anyone else, then that’s definitely not the same thing as anyone being excluded from participating by the organising or governing body of the sport.

I don’t think ground sports are in decline btw, but fcuk evidence like, it doesn’t appear to be required at this stage, particularly when in spite of being presented with evidence of what does cause children to drop out of participating in sports is just cast aside in favour of arguing for a return to ye olde “tough love” approach… as if that’s actually going to achieve anything positive for any sport or any of the participants or people who want to participate in sports and want to continue to participate in sports.

Ya kinda have to reconsider your approach when in just the last week we’ve already seen grown men act like sulky babbies when a match doesn’t go their way. I can completely understand their emotions getting the better of them and y’know, shed a wee tear, but the whole dramatics of ripping the medals from their necks and all the rest of it? Bit much, y’know? Certainly not the kind of behaviour or attitude I’d encourage anyone to aspire to, be they grown adults or children.

Or become an elite Ultra Marathon athlete, where male traits are showing to be a disadvantage in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Complete bullshit there. The gap between males and females at elite level in Ultra marathon racing is pretty much the same as every other race distance.

• Advertisement

Who is being excluded from their sport? Exclusion from a protected category is not exclusion from a sport. I've yet to meet any male sportspersons who consider themselves excluded from a sport just because they are not allowed compete in the protected female category.

Nobody is being excluded from sports they wish to participate in since the rules were changed to allow people who are transgender to compete in the protected categories of their preferred gender identity.*

I was responding to the point being made by Gatling that broadening the eligibility criteria to allow people who are transgender to participate in the protected categories of their preferred gender would mean that it would exclude other people who don’t want to participate in sports with people who are transgender. My point is that that those people are choosing to exclude themselves, they are not being excluded by the change in the rules governing the sports or organising bodies of the sports which allow people who are transgender to participate in the protected categories of their preferred gender.

I’ve never met any male sportspersons who consider themselves excluded from a sport just because they are not allowed compete in the protected female category either, but I know that the IOC rules were changed as a result of Chris Mosier wanting to compete in the protected male category in accordance with their preferred gender identity -

While he qualified, Mosier was uncertain about his eligibility to compete in the Duathlon Age Group World Championship Race in Spain in June 2016 due to the International Olympic Committee policy around the participation of transgender athletes,[7]with specific provisions from the Stockholm Consensus in 2004.[8] In 2015, Mosier challenged the policy,[9] resulting in the creation and adoption of new IOC guidelines for the participation of transgender athletes.[10] Mosier was considered the catalyst for change in the policy in January 2016,[11]after he successfully advocated for change in the policy[12] to allow his participation in the World Championship and future races. Following the policy change, in 2016 Mosier raced in the International Triathlon Union Sprint Duathlon World Championship race in Aviles, Spain, becoming the first known transgender athlete to compete in the World Championship race.[13]

In 2020 Mosier became the first openly transgender male athlete to ever compete in an Olympic trial alongside other men; however, he was unable to finish the race due to injury.[14]

Mosier began competing in triathlon in 2009 as female. In 2010, Mosier publicly self-identified as a transgender man[15] in The Advocate, an American LGBTQ+ magazine, after competing in his first race as male. In 2011 Mosier was featured in The New York Times[1] prior to competing in the Nautica New York City Triathlon, a race he competed in two years prior as female.

In 2016 Mosier was chosen as the first openly transgender athlete to be featured in the "Body Issue" of ESPN The Magazine.[16]

*EDIT: I should have added a caveat to that, I was speaking in the context of people who are transgender, but there are people who are excluded from participating in sports in protected categories because they refuse to undergo unnecessary medical treatments to handicap their performance. Caster Semenya is fighting for the right of people like her to participate in sports on that front.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

You really do like to post a lot of waffle without actually saying anything about the topic. 90% of what you wrote here has nothing to do with the fairness of a transgender woman competing in female sports events.

It has everything to do with people who are transgender competing in female sports events and whether or not it is fair or unfair. I was making the point that the situation is similar to the way in which some people think it is they who should get to decide who does or doesn’t get to participate in what they consider are “their” sports, and who does or doesn’t belong in “their” sports.

Individuals simply don’t have that right, nobody does, and it would be unfair and unreasonable were anyone to have the right to say that anyone else doesn’t belong in “their” sport, and for that person to be excluded from competing in women’s events or men’s events in accordance with their gender identity. It’s as unreasonable as anyone suggesting that because of the colour of a person’s skin, they should “go back to where they came from”, or the idea that that individual doesn’t belong in “their” sport.

You asked me to clarify what I meant, so I did. I think it would be unreasonable for anyone to imagine that they could simply declare that someone doesn’t belong in the competition on the basis of their own individual beliefs about that individual, as though a snappy one-liner put-down is sufficient reason to demand that local, national and international sports organisations and federation and associations should just accede to their demands without telling them as politely as possible to fcuk off and get over themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭sekiro

Wouldn't it be better to just scrap the idea of segregated sports?

If the criteria for entry is moving towards allowing people to self-identity then why not just remove the problem altogether?

One category for all people since gender is a social construct anyway.

Utterly strange arguments.

You are waffling as usual because you want to avoid the point - sex categories in sports exist to protect women. They also exist to give women a chance to compete. If sex categories are removed to allow gender identity, then natal women will be unable to compete in many, or most, sports.

Better for whom, or what though? I mean, there’s nothing preventing anyone from founding their own organisation which they feel best represents their interests and the interests of people like them if that’s what they want to do.

Novak Djokovic did it in spite of the criticisms he received, plenty of people have established their own organisations and federations which they believe serve their interests to a greater degree than organisations which exist already.

With the incredible overwhelming support they have of all the people who want to protect women, they should have no problem ignoring the criticisms they receive and establishing themselves as a viable organisation!

Yeah I don't understand the poster you quoted either. Trying to drag racism in sport into a discussion about trans gender women in sport is just bizarre.

Here is an interesting thing re males and females (that I did not know before). Both sexes experience a mini puberty as neonates, and up to 6 months in boys, slightly longer in girls. Amazingly sex hormone levels reach adult levels in both sexes and then are switched off again until puberty.

That graph represents activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis.

Both puberty and minipuberty share similar hormonal dynamics. Pulsatile secretion of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) from the hypothalamus stimulates the anterior pituitary to release luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). These gonadotropins circulate in the periphery and stimulate the gonads to produce sex steroids (testosterone and estradiol). In minipuberty, serum sex steroids approach adult levels – yet infants do not develop secondary sexual characteristics or sexual maturation. Minipuberty is evidenced by increased gonadotropin and sex steroid levels during the first six months of life (Grumbach, 2005). Signs of increased serum sex steroid levels during minipuberty include neonatal acne, spontaneous erections in males, and appearance of transient breast buds in females.

In effect then both sexes experience two puberties.

He set up a players organisation, not a new sporting organisation.

This is going to come to a head in a few weeks. Most people don't really think about trans that much because they associated trans with people who have had surgery but a bit meaty lad lifting weights, to get back to the topic of the thread, in the female category will turn a few heads.

• Advertisement

Better for the sports in general.

Make them inclusive with no segregated categories and then get on with it.

The initial separation of men's and women's sports was done in a time when gender identity would never really be a big topic of discussion.

Now it is so events like the Olympics should not have separate categories but just one big open category that is fully inclusive.

If a certain amount of diversity is required or desired then just set down the agreed quotas and stick to them.

So if the 100 metres final has 8 participants then just stipulate that there must be at least 2 ciswomen and 2 trans people on the starting blocks and manage qualifying and heats accordingly.

I’ve already addressed that point, numerous times! The most likely reason I can only assume you haven’t seen my addressing it is because you made a conscious effort on numerous occasions to remind me that you’re ignoring my posts. Ignoring my posts is fine, accusing me of not having addressed the point because you’re choosing to ignore my posts? Yeah… I’m sure that makes sense in your head though, and that’s all that should be as important to anyone else as it is to you, is what you think!

FWIW in quick summation, not that you’ll ever read this since you have me on ignore and all, although I wasn’t aware the new site has a selective hearing (or rather viewing) facility, you must show me how to do that -

I don’t agree that sex categories were ever established to protect women, they were established as separate organisations by women because women were excluded from participating in competitions with men.

Secondly, they were not established to give women a chance to compete, nor do they exist to give women a chance to compete (against whom, themselves?), they exist as an alternative to exclude women from participating in sports with men, therefore reinforcing the notion that women are inferior to men - they’re paid less, they’re treated worse, and their events are not promoted to anything like the same degree as the equivalent men’s sports. What are women being protected from exactly? Because it looks more to me as though it’s men wanting to protect their sports from women!

Your last point about sex categories being removed is not one that I’ve argued in favour of, nor do I see it as necessary to replace sex categories with gender categories, that’s just replacing one set of stereotypes for another, but in any case it certainly does not mean that women wouldn’t be able to compete with men. They can, and they do, when they are given the opportunity without putting up all sorts of barriers in their way to prevent them from even thinking about continuing to participate in sports beyond primary school level.

The point stands - nothing preventing anyone from establishing their own organisations, everyone has the right to freedom of association and all that jazz - go for it! Sure isn’t there enormous support for the idea with all those people wanting to protect women? While you’re at it you should ensure that none of the coaches, managers, team owners, sponsors, CEOs etc are men, as there are in women’s sports already, doing a bang up job of protecting all those women from people who want to protect women 🙄

I don’t imagine it will come to anything really, it’s not as though it hasn’t been known about for decades already, and it doesn’t appear as though people are actually all that interested in spite of the tabloid rags and GBNews best efforts to whip up a bit of moral outrage and panic. I imagine this Olympics will be characterised in the tabloid media at least by idiots taking someone’s eye out when they’re fcuking away their medals into the empty stands protesting one thing or another.

It won’t be extreme enough to gain attention just to piss all over the nation they’re claiming to represent. That’s kinda been done already by the loser in the qualifying events -

Just look at that photo, look! It’s an outrage I tells ya 🙄

Exactly. Just get rid of the different categories and let everyone compete with everyone else.

It is a bit daft that women really haven't ever been allowed to compete with men and instead are forced into a separate category.

Plus it would kind of make the Olympics feel a bit less bloated by cutting down on the number of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

so brave <3

Ignoring all the irrelevant sidetracks, are you agreeing that nobody is going to be excluded from a sport as a result of being excluded from a protected category. That's a simple yes/no question. Can you answer it without pages of irrelevant waffle?

Do you also agree that the whole point of protected categories is to exclude people people who don't meet the required criteria from competing in that category from competing in that category. Yes/No

Do you also agree that a protected category requires rules to define the category, so some people will be required to set these rules, and as a result this collection of people will by the whole fundamental nature of the concept, end up deciding that people who don't fit within those rules are excluded from competing in the protected category? Yes/No

Fair enough, ignoring all the irrelevant sidetracks then, can you make your point as concisely as possible without all the questions?

Are you really that fundamentally lacking in knowledge and understanding? To take your 100 meter example, the 3 medalists would be the 3 fastest men. The "quota" competitors would not stand a chance against the men. You've perfectly highlighted why protected categories exist in the first place. If you think otherwise then please give any example from any Olympic track and field event in any Olympics where the gold medal winning female would have managed a bronze medal (or better) in the equivalent male event. Just one. Ever.

There's an awful lot of assumptions in that post. And an awful lot of those assumptions are just plain wrong.

(1) There are plenty of sports/events where women and men compete in the same event at the same time, with the results being divided up into category results afterwards. Anyone with a functioning brain looking at those results will immediately see that without the separation (protection) of the women's results into a separate category that in 99.9% of cases men would win everything to the almost total exclusion of women

(2) It's broadly agreed that the most prestigious sport in the Olympics is track and field. Male and female T&F events are treated with equal prestige. They get equal coverage, and the medals are equally valued. The Female categories are not regarded as being inferior events to the equivalent male events. They a prompted equally.

(3) The fact that YOU think that sex categories were established to protect women (in a sporting competitive context) just illustrates YOUR lack of knowledge.

• Advertisement

You suggested we ignore irrelevant side-tracks, and then you introduce an argument I couldn’t care less about, using an example I’ve never used. What’s that about?

Instead of introducing arguments I couldn’t care less about, using examples I’ve never used, how about you just make your point? Or is your actual point the argument I couldn’t care less about?

If so, I’ll happily ignore the irrelevant side-track you’re attempting to introduce into the conversation that you’re trying to insinuate I’m responsible for. That’s entirely on you.

Advertisement