Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gbear wrote: »
    I definitely think we'll eventually see DLC for them, as we've had with Wood Elves and Beastmen.

There's a lot of Chaos characters (including Wolfrik and Sigvald) who are Norscan, so there's plenty of stuff there, although I think they might need to do a bit of fiddling to get the requisite number of units.

They could add Chaos-marked marauder units, which would be cool. They could add a few more Trolls (not least because Throgg is the King of the Trolls and only has access to 2 types), some Fimir, some kind of Norscan Warrior hero, and perhaps a Lord-level caster as the generic DLC lord type.

But that's at least 2 years away if they were going with that. Hopefully they get at least some love before then. To say nothing of Warriors of Chaos, who are now the worst race in the game by an enormous margin.

CA have said that the upcoming DLC is the last though so sadly, I don't see it happening. I think they're abandoning WH2 after this but hopefully they'll patch it once the DLC adds bugs.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

CA have said that the upcoming DLC is the last though so sadly, I don't see it happening. I think they're abandoning WH2 after this but hopefully they'll patch it once the DLC adds bugs.

I mean Wood Elves were a WH1 race and received updates in WH2. I suspect similar will be done in WH3 for WH2 races that need it. Though who knows, they may get something in the general hordes rework that is going on between Chaos and Beastmen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean Wood Elves were a WH1 race and received updates in WH2. I suspect similar will be done in WH3 for WH2 races that need it. Though who knows, they may get something in the general hordes rework that is going on between Chaos and Beastmen.

Wood Elves got an update in a patch that launched with The Twisted and The Twilight DLC. I can't see Norsca getting anything for WH2 which is a shame as every other race is in a good spot. Anything they get would be WH3 only I would think.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

WH2 DLC is done after this. It will all be WH3, which may include WH2 races but the main Chaos update will be done in the WH3 base game.

Yeah, I meant in WH3.

The new Chaos factions don't really have anything to do with Warriors of Chaos, and they will not share many mechanics. I don't think they're moving the likes of Sigvald over to Slaanesh either. It remains to be seen how they handle it, or if they're even touching them at all.

Ideally, if you have WoC, you should be able to play Archaon and Kholek in the Chaos Undivided faction that's presumably coming, headed by Belakor, and Sigvald as Slaanesh, but I don't think that's what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I didn't see it mentioned perviously, but they just sent out an email announcing that the Great Bray Shaman and Ogre Mercenaries units will be free in the Total War Access site on July 14th.

Yeah, I meant in WH3.

The new Chaos factions don't really have anything to do with Warriors of Chaos, and they will not share many mechanics. I don't think they're moving the likes of Sigvald over to Slaanesh either. It remains to be seen how they handle it, or if they're even touching them at all.

Ideally, if you have WoC, you should be able to play Archaon and Kholek in the Chaos Undivided faction that's presumably coming, headed by Belakor, and Sigvald as Slaanesh, but I don't think that's what they're doing.

I suspect they are. 9 new lords with the base game. 2 Cathay, 2 Kislev and 1 for each chaos god makes 8. I suspect the 9th is Belakor with an undivided rework. Though oddly I would suspect Sigvald will stay undivided to avoid giving Slaanesh a 2nd lord.

Could be wrong (obviously) but an undivided lord seems like the least work given they can take from the mechanics for the 4 Chaos gods.

I think they've confirmed that WoC won't be playable in the WH3 campaign. Only in Mortal Empires 2.0. That doesn't mean they won't get the mechanics, but it suggests it.

More news. Ogre mercenaries are coming to Warhammer 2:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-2-ogre-mercenaries-roster-reveal/
    Available for free as part of Total War Access (you’re signed up, of course?), it adds a new mechanic accessible by all factions: hirable Ogre units that will fight for your cause so long as you keep them fed, watered, paid, and in combat.

So how does that actually work in game terms? Ogre camps have a chance to spawn whenever an act of destruction takes place – battles, sieges, the razing and sacking of settlements, anything where there might be plunder to be had and meat to be served. Ogres will move into an area and create a camp, which you can then interact with via an army. Here you can choose which tribe to work with and pay, giving units to the local mercenary recruitment pool.

From there, you simply have to actually recruit the units into the army you wish to have them in, and then keep them paid. The Ogre camp will disperse, though more can always spawn later. If you run out of money to pay your Ogres – who are not cheap – then they will depart without a moment’s hesitation.

H. H. Asquith

I think they've confirmed that WoC won't be playable in the WH3 campaign. Only in Mortal Empires 2.0. That doesn't mean they won't get the mechanics, but it suggests it.

Ah if they have confirmed that then they won't get the mechanics. Does raise the question of who has that 9th LL.

• Advertisement

Ah if they have confirmed that then they won't get the mechanics. Does raise the question of who has that 9th LL.

It'll be Belakor and Chaos Undivided Daemons, but they'll be separate from WoC.

Beastmen rework explained:

H. H. Asquith

The new Dwarf Lord, Thorek Ironbrow.

Also covers some of the new features and updates to the Dwarfs.

Some highlights:

Runes skills in the character skill tree are now a sort of lore of magic.

There are runes that can be crafted with oathgold - separate ones for your character (he has 3 slots for rune), and ones that work as existing runes do in the game - they're banners that can be assigned to units.

Thorek himself has huge buffs to "traditional" units - Miners, Quarrellers, Grudge Throwers and Bolt Throwers, as well as a unique set of items he can craft.

From this, it looks like the Beastmen are going to be a lot of fun to play. I've not tried them in their current state but this rework looks like the best one so far.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

When is the dlc actually releasing?

When is the dlc actually releasing?

DLC and update are coming on the 14th July.

H. H. Asquith

I've found after the last few DLC, I've been a bit burnt out on TW2 and it's all a bit samey. Hopefully this new DLC can refresh things a little for me.

I've found after the last few DLC, I've been a bit burnt out on TW2 and it's all a bit samey. Hopefully this new DLC can refresh things a little for me.

To be honest, I almost exclusively play Paradox titles now. Resident Evil 7 and WH2 are the only other titles I've played in the last 6 months. Nearly done with my Kroq Gar campaign and it's become a drag.

Crazy that we're at the end of the game's lifecycle. I think the Beastmen rework will be fantastic though.

H. H. Asquith

Crazy that we're at the end of the game's lifecycle. I think the Beastmen rework will be fantastic though.

It really is an exceptional piece of work. The map in TW3 is going to be bat**** crazy. Hopefully they can make it work.

I tend to go through periods of liking it and periods of playing other games. Only so different a single game will get even with all the dlc.

• Advertisement

It really is an exceptional piece of work. The map in TW3 is going to be bat**** crazy. Hopefully they can make it work.

I've confidence in them. Not sure if I want to preorder but I'm sure WH3 will be incredible. WH1 looks so rough around the edges by comparison.
    I tend to go through periods of liking it and periods of playing other games. Only so different a single game will get even with all the dlc.

Aye, same here. As I said, I almost exclusively play Paradox titles which are much more complex and deep than WH2. I built my PC and the first game I playe on it was XCOM 2 which I don't think I've touched in 2019.

You should see how Europa Universalis IV has changed from its launch in 2013 though there have been thirty major updates and over E200 in DLC's.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Paradox Problem for me is that I try to learn one of their games and then they release a massive update and it changes the whole thing and I have to try and learn again which I don't have the time or energy for :) It's good that they keep working on their games like this, I applaud them for it, but as someone trying to break into their brand of grand strategy games, it's very frustrating.

Total Warhammer got me into this series and whilst there's been a learning curve, it's not that steep. Learning to play is straightforward (as it always should be), but learning to master it is difficult (and again, it should be). I don't have all the current DLC, might pick it up for completeness. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else is coming in 3

Shiminay wrote: »
    The Paradox Problem for me is that I try to learn one of their games and then they release a massive update and it changes the whole thing and I have to try and learn again which I don't have the time or energy for :) It's good that they keep working on their games like this, I applaud them for it, but as someone trying to break into their brand of grand strategy games, it's very frustrating.

Total Warhammer got me into this series and whilst there's been a learning curve, it's not that steep. Learning to play is straightforward (as it always should be), but learning to master it is difficult (and again, it should be). I don't have all the current DLC, might pick it up for completeness. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else is coming in 3

I think that the Paradox problem is a bit overstated. That said, I am an avid Paradox fan and my experience is that new mechanics tend to be simple enough. If you've missed half a dozen updates or so then that might be a different story. If you're interested in their games, I would go for it. They make the best grand strategy games going IMO.

I got into Warhammer after playing Shogun 2 which I enjoyed and Rome 2 which I got bored of quickly. Warhammer was the jolt the series needed and it's ruined the later historical titles for me. I'll probably never touch Troy or Three Kingdoms as a result when I have Warhammer. They're simpler than Paradox titles but they're a different kind of fun so on that basis I can still enjoy them.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Has anyone been playing the Beastmen since the DLC was released. Currently playing as Taurox and I am rampaging through the map, very fun campaign to play. The Herdstones are a great idea.

I've gone from never making it past turn 20 or so with them before the DLC to finishing their campaign a day after release.

I played with Taurox as well. Took me a while to get to grips with his mechanic, and I didn't even spot the little button in the bottom corner that allows you to spend Momentum to refill his movement bar, but I'd covered nearly half the map by turn 100 and completed the final battle.

He's an absolute machine, but I also unlocked the others. Morghur is pretty strong as far as I could gather, Kazhrak is fine, but Malagor is an absolute demon. He has a permanent flock of crows area affect attack (basically Flock of Doom for free, forever), that unlocks at the end of his unique skill line, which triggers whenever he's in melee combat. He's a powerhouse of a caster, he can fly, he has absurd speed, and he's pretty solid in combat for a wizard.

The Herdstones were a godsend for them, and it shows that some kind of territorial gameplay is vital for Horde factions.

Hopefully the Lizardmen get a rework earlish in WH3, and Nakai can get something that works as well as the Herdstones.

I've a Taurox campaign going on the side. As Gbear said, Taurox is an absolute beast. Only got Malagor of the LL's but being able to get them, even if their faction has been eliminated is really cool. Malagor is a machine now.

Really like the Herdstones idea. Playing as Norsca was tedious as someone would undo my razing. With the Beastmen, that's not an issue any more.

H. H. Asquith

On my Taurox campaign I have weirdly found the MVP so far (turn 60ish) to be the random Bray Shaman you start with. Just a few blasts of the traitor kin spell seems to give him so many kills/damage. Taurox is a beast once he hits the line though. I was amused by his ability to smash Malekith out of the unit he was fighting with to set up a nice 1 v1.

The herdstones are great and are in keeping with the lore. While they don't manage cities as such Drakwald Forest is considered to always have beastmen in it so obviously some do stick around the same area for a while.

I think they overtuned Traitor Kin. It's by a distance the most powerful spell available to the Beastmen (notwithstanding Malagor's permanent Flock of Doom). I was getting 200+ kills routinely early game. It's a bit less powerful as you start to face tougher enemies, but you still see plenty of T1-3 troops until the end game, and only really Chaos and the Dwarves have high armour on their low-mid tier infantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

A small sneak peek on total Warhammer three and the other three chaos god rosters. Cathay seems to be part of the day one release as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm still very early in my Beastmen campaign, I'm on about turn 12 or something but I've never fought so many battles in the early part of the game ever. Compare to something like Tomb Kings where you're just hitting next turn until about turn 20.

Really enjoying it anyway. I can see basically no reason not to go to war with everyone and just continually go for battle after battle.

Advertisement