Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROLL IT BACK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Any idea what the daily traffic used to be?

The widget thingy on the homepage is showing 4,239 people online at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How do you edit someone elses post now? ie above post, cant type above it, cant copy a line from it, cant delete any of it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone able to follow threads in the music forum?

None of the ones I am following are being followed, and as I don't get any notifications as to when a thread has a post added etc. I check 'my threads' and none of the music threads appear in there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,124 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

No, I think that was there before.

In fairness, once you get a bit used to the new site and know where things are (and the admin announcement thread is helpful in that regard), it's more tolerable. There are still some big issues, and if they can be resolved in the next week or two like the admins suggest, then it'll be grand (and I can understand the need for a new platform if the old one was held together by sellotape)

I think the main items are -

• The "My forums" tab doesn't work
    • No notifications of a new post in a subscribed thread (I know you can go to bookmarks to see them there, but that's not the same thing)
    • Posting in a thread doesn't subscribe you to it (so you can easily lose it again)
    • The "Most Thanked" piece needs to be "Most liked" now; otherwise everything's showing up with 0 thanks
    • Threads with no new posts show up in bold just like those with new posts
    • And mobile version is weird

But like I say, if those can get cleaned up, then that'd be 80% of the problems sorted I'd say. Unfortunately a lot the issues (as I see them) are items which actively prompt people to post, so...

(And yeah, admin feedback other than "You can't post in this thread" would be useful, at least to see that further changes are on the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

1. I never mentioned anything being free.
    2. Yes I would completely accept everyone moaning and groaning about every little thing, right down to the corns on their feet being banned for being tick's.

Seriously get over yourselves. None of you are content creators it's a discussion board, discuss and stop being privileged arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Jafin

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered already, but I have finally figured out how to get notifications for threads I have bookmarked working, but the problem is that I'm getting notifications every time there's a new post. On the old Boards you would be notified of the first new post and get no subsequent notifications until you had visited the thread and were caught up. Any way to fix this so it works the old way? I don't want to log in after a day and have 10 or 20 notifications for the same thread when one notification would have done fine.

Can't answer your question, but how did you get notifications working in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Why can't I find my previous posts? I don't know whether i have complained in writing about this before, because I can't check to see what I have posted here in the last while. There used to be an option to "find all my posts" which was the main way (or at least one of the main ways) I engaged with this site and now it's gone.

What is the point, seriously, what is the **** point in completely changing the user interface so that previous methods of engagement are no longer possible? Who thought that was a good idea?

Did any of you think at all?

OK I get it. It's your site. All we are are the flies buzzing around the turd that advertisers can pay you to place their messages before. We are not the paying customers. But without us, there ARE no paying customers.

Maybe I have posted this already. Maybe not. I can't check.

My Discussions brings up 364 threads. 364???? I have been here since 2005!!!! 20 posts a year? I think not.

Just.........GAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

😡

😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Hmm, it still shows the exact same number of people an hour later, if I was being cynical I'd say this was hard coded :)

• Advertisement

I see there'll be another 5 day outage from tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

A question I had was that VB is still production system, so still wonder why not move to latest VB software?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Jafin

I clicked the notification bell and noticed the three little sliding bar thingies in the top right corner. I hovered over them and "Notification Preferences" showed up so I clicked on it and in there are a load of options for what you want email notifications of and "popup" notifications of (which are the ones that show up as numbers beside the little bell). The box for popup notifications for "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions" was unchecked, so I checked that and I get notifications for any thread I have bookmarked now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

My profile shows over 100 discussions. I seldom start threads. When I click into my profile, I see three threads I started. It's a puzzle! 😅

Ta! And I see "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in." is also an option there. So that'll help a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Roll it back... Pretend like it didnt happen...

I'll bet traffic is way down - a few posts i made that I would have expected a response, went without comment.

just too many issues to mention - but to add to the list ->

• Cannot find how to search a forum;
    • no forum subscribe (how to we get alert on bargain alerts?)
    • no year on all dates (its important on a site going back 20 years);
    • whitespace is all over the place - especially on mobile;
    • Clicking on Quoted posts and Links keep hopping me in and out of touch and desktop site;

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

When I click on discussions, I can see three that I did start. And I would say that's all I ever did start. I seldom, if ever followed threads on boards of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I miss reading my post history here as well

The desktop site is alright, just let me search my posts, my quotes and get my list of all likes. And post history in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Finding everything is slower and takes twice as many clicks. The site itself is slower, too. Being honest about it without trying to be annoying, I can't see myself visiting half as much or indeed posting. Always found the site useable in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Jesus lads relax. No one is going to die here. It's not the end of the world. Its different. Move on already.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I don't mind different! But it's slow as **** and my usual way of finding threads I like is gone! Not sure if it should be scrapped as such but maybe either some hard coding elbow grease or roll back and attempt it down the line once it's at least cohort tested with about 100/200 users!

I actually like the mobile feel, it's just missing some decent navigation features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Packrat

This is how 23 years of boards ends, in a few months it'll be a zombie site with next to no traffic.

Many hundreds of us are already over on the new competitor, but most won't ever even find out that it exists.

Most will go to Reddit or do without.

From time to time one or two will bump into each other and have an animated discussion about where they saw a former boardsie.

In a couple of years after the domain name has been sold a couple of times, someone wont bother to pay the hosting bill anymore, and the whole site will just cease to exist.

Sad.

Roll it back and don't become Bebo, cos that's where you're going.

I'm on Reddit, but dislike the automod bot system.

Still, there is a method to your madness.

I feel as well, that boards is being updated like Sims 4 succeeded Sims 3. There was a Hugh exodus of sim3 player once Sims 3 was killed off mainstream by maxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

From the people who brought you Voat and Parler... 😉

But seriously, little bit of an overreaction to be launching an alternative to Boards.ie so soon after this overhaul has been launched. There are bugs with it, alright, but a few tweaks here and there and gubu would be little more than a footnote. Even so, even if the tweaks were never made, I'd sooner go over to the People's Republic of Cork boards or something like that, i.e. an established community.

It's a vbulletin board set up by someone who laments moderation here, but is quite happy to delete posts and user accounts arbitrarily over there. The power trip must be mildly satisfying to them too. Unsurprisingly, it's a backwater. Bound to stagnate sooner or later so I wouldn't bother and I won't give it the air time either.

Boards on the other hand is great. It's just this new canuckistanian forum software and hosting that's crap. It'll never be as good as it was before, which is the thing most folks here wish the admins/owner would realise. It's not about being change averse, it's all about being crap averse, and this really is some top quality crap as a forum platform.

Professional experience leaves me very well informed about just how difficult a project this is for a couple of resource strapped (time and money) jobbers, but at the end of the day it's only the interests of the owner that are being served here, not of the community they want to exploit by dragging people kicking and screaming onto this new platform.

If it's crap (and it is), the right thing to do would be to roll back, scrub off some functionality and in time migrate to a newer release of the platform it's built upon. They won't do that though, because aside from the lip service of a big news announcement a few months back, there's sod all interaction with the user community here that constitutes anything meaningful.

There's an awful bang of VC off this whole woeful episode too.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

New layout reminds me of the Channel 4 Forums. Enjoyed them, 15-20 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely seems to load faster for me.

But I dislike the lots of white and the lack of my forums and the search is awful and the no page numbers at top of screen and the lack of like names.

But it is quite responsive

• Advertisement

There is page numbers on the top of the screen - but they're under the first post, which is rather counter-intuitive.

Agree on the loading speed btw - haven't noticed any issues.

Advertisement