Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭manna452121

Anyone having problems getting e-mail updates on posts they have left.Things will take time so lets be patient.Just fix the Dark mode first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

"Now yer talkin'...to yourself."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"Downtime To Retrieve My Forums

Hello all. To allow us to migrate My Forums and also to update latest post date, we will have scheduled downtime tomorrow at 6pm for approximately one hour. We apologise for the inconvenience but hope that it will make a huge improvement for users. Thank you."

When was this posted? Today? If so, might be an idea to change that announcement to "...scheduled downtime tomorrow, Tuesday 20th July, at 6pm..." given things don't always go according to plan!

(Also, bug: if there's a line-break, you can't highlight two paragraphs separated by that line break to select formatting such as bold or italic, you have to do it separately for both sides of the line-break.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

Outlines clearly the priorities to be addressed, in order, with realistic timelines to completion

This is the only bit that I'm interested in!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all

Just a quick update. We are reading all the comments and collating issues - unfortunately we aren't able to reply to everyone and instead are prioritising getting things fixed. I understand that makes it feel like we aren't listening... but we are - and the hamster wheels are indeed at full throttle :)

We will keep going with daily updates during the week.

What's been going on since Friday? Some fixes require a Pull Request (PR) into Vanilla. For those of you who are not technical, a PR is when our developer writes code and then asks for those changes to be committed to Vanilla's code. This has to be done for any 'big' changes we make before they get pushed to live.... So we try to get as many updates into a PR as possible, get them reviewed, take feedback .... push live. So for example to get posts you have read in a different colour requires a PR. There are also a lot of backend fixes that you might not see the impact of right away - but hopefully you will overtime.

Quick update on where we are today.

• There are still site speed issues which should not be the case. We are reviewing all of our code to see if anything our side in conjunction with the team in Vanilla checking also.
    • Issue with the usernames with special characters has been fixed
    • Regional categories not being accessible for some users fixed - permissions might need to be added in some cases
    • Mobile & Desktop css updates to fonts, spacing and more
    • Migration of My Forums, Bookmarks and Thread Post count PR sent (go live tomorrow)
    • Position of notifications going behind touch fixed
    • Fixed size of announcement box on desktop

Being worked on right now:

• Touch Navigation - PR update complete and submitted
    • SEO validation (checks being run)
    • Site speed (as above)
    • Changing 'Like' to 'Thanks' and displaying thank count on button and who thanked on hover

Some other issues on radar but not started (not a complete list):

• Subscribers unable to switch off ads
    • Not able to split a quoted post to answer different parts of it
    • When a post is flagged the number of times it is flagged is visible to everyone
    • Need to unbold threads that are read/no new posts in them
    • Footer links are still broken - no cookie policy or privacy policy
    • No Close Account button. If users want to close their account they can email hello@boards.ie or datarequests@boards.ie 
    • Some blank posts
    • The main Boards logo swaps out for a Vanilla logo when desktop browser width is <816px
    • Groups page layout theme not applied
    • When a user marks a forum as read on mobile, the browser redirects to /categories
    • No mark forum read button on desktop
    • Latest post dates missing
    • Username info hover not working (view profile etc). Users can click on the avatar and popup appears - contrast issues fixed
    • Size of some images on desktop too big
    • Thank count
    • Thanks per user
    • Breadcrumb not sticky

Dark mode has been requested a lot - its not something we are looking at right now but is one of our top priorities when we are in a position to start adding new features.

More to follow...

Thanks all

Odhran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Was there any meaningful testing conducted before this went live?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Will ye acknowledge any of the people’s complaints?

why the site was launched in alpha form.

users resorting to writing there own code just to be able to use the site.

the abomination of the site on mobile

its all a one sided engagement.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Someone was asking earlier about the Childfree by Choice forum - it is located here: https://boards.ie/categories/childfree-by-choice

There were links to it from other forums around the site to generate some traffic cut these links translated across as new (empty) forums so they will be removed as soon as we can.

Ditto for the 3D printing forum which you will find here: https://boards.ie/categories/3d-printing

And Current Affairs which is here: https://boards.ie/categories/current-affairs-imho

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Dark mode has been requested a lot - its not something we are looking at right now but is one of our top priorities when we are in a position to start adding new features.

I'm actually shocked that Dark Mode was not considered a basic feature of new Boards. I acknowledge that it will eventually be in the works but I don't know if I will wait that long. I noticed someone posted a fix but I don't usually use Chome and maybe it's the hear but I don't know if I'm all that bothered.

I know I'm not a prolific poster but I was always lurking, reading and enjoying Boards. A number of years ago I did end up signing up for Reddit when there was the blog wars moderation and many of us migrated over. I stuck around but I don't know if I will be for much longer. I appreciate all the hard work Boards has done and that this move was much needed and a huge undertaking, but sadly I think the grá I once had has now slowly eroded.

Best of luck with the fixes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Could really do with hiding all the inactive Talk to forums from the Broadband forum

Nice to see that several issues I highlighted are being worked on

Thank you especially for the info on what is fixed, being fixed, status, on the to do list and so on. At the very least it gives us an overview of where things are and visibility on progress. It would be great if you continued the updates like this for the next week/10 days until you get through the main items

Feedback

• Someone posted a link to the Childfree By Choice forum which I couldn't find since the site changed. However it doesn't seem to be possible to post to that forum
    • Its almost impossible to see text that has a hyperlink in it, as an example, the text "Childfree By Choice forum" above has a link in it but its almost indistinguishable from regular text.
    • Update : hyperlinks are very visible on mobile so the above is is only on desktop however the link text on mobile appears to be one font size smaller
    • Added an image to this post (see top) but it automatically added it to the beginning of the post instead of the end
    • No way to remove the image at the top on mobile that I can see
    • Can't add an image if cursor is in a bulleted list. This is normal however there is no feedback to the user, it just fails to add the image
    • Was able to add the image below but had to come out of the bulleted list

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The genuinely worrying thing is the lack of posts. Some forums I follow would have a good number of posts every day & many have none since the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Will the names of the posters who thanked a post be visible on touch site? I notice you say it will be visible when you hover over it but what about those using mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

On the desktop that works now. Still Vanilla flavour comes with a big bit of "flaky" stuck in it so sometime it you don't see everyone who has thanked a post. There are some that only show the first 5 others show more than 5 five, can't find any reason for it?

For example I can easily see that Azatadine has already thanked you.

Wake me up when it's all over.

But even on desktop the thanks display is cut off at the boundary of the thanked post box. Plus it goes to a max of 10 (checked on a large space post). And as Retro said cannot be seen on mobile phones.

Just put thanks in a pane within the thanked posts, like they were before. The present system is not useful.

Plus jeepers I have to say it is very annoying on the phone to have one's posts repeatedly obscured by "Draft saved at x.xxpm" notification while one is writing them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Do you blame them?

It's painful browsing through this crap website

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Do many users still use a “desktop” computer for reading boards? Would have thought most people had moved on with the times and were using mobile devices.

The idea of someone sitting in, with curtains drawn, on a day like today is just, well, sad really.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

What about help desk? Mod lists? Touch site randomly redirecting to a thread from earlier in the day mid reading? Keyboard overhanging report post box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You'd be surprised how many people use computers for work.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

@Boards.ie: Odhran

Is there anyone with a design flair looking at the colour pallet?

The site is ghostly and anemic.

Any basic range of pastels would make a huge difference to the readability

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If I'm reading or writing anything of length I prefer to use a desktop or laptop everytime. If it's a choice between sitting comfortably at a desk or being hunched tapping at a device in my hand. Mobile devices are far handier, but in terms of comfort there's no comparison. It can be pleasureable to write out something while sitting at a desk, with a nice big display... Or at least it used to be...

I even used to use the desktop site on mobile, it still worked really well, was highly functional and with dark theme it looked fantastic. I preferred it by far to the touch site, even if now the touch site is beyond wildest dreams compared to this absolute joke we currently have.

Loads of people still use a desktop to browse the site and others, for all kinds of reasons. There's nothing strange about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As i observed, reason for it is the height of the post - the longer the post - more it can display. However, i also noticed that some users dont display the list - once hover over it pops "something", but does not display list. See Odhran's opening post on 15Jul. Glitch perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If you want to throw money at Boards you could subscribe for a month..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

if you happy with "punching" 5-10" its fine.

Me, however, on x3 screen setup, can see everything in much better resolution and more. Even during work hours, when quite, can allow myself to set one screen to favourite thread and monitor/participate. As for sitting in the room, well... had two ice cold pints and laying in the pool - i can take a break from PC time-to-time, where lots of "mobile" users have terrible addiction, like phone would be "third leg".

All we have our own habits and preferences, until we find there could be better :D

Edit: out for the third ice cold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Make sure whatever colour scheme you choose has good, strong colour contrast between foreground and background colours - see WAI WCAG guidance for measuring this contrast. The Sign In/Register pale blue text on the blue background are examples of low contrast, making text hard to read for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I don't understand the need to have a big Facebook and Twitter share icon, on every single post. Have one for each thread sure, but for every single post is overkill to me, and just makes each post look clunkier.

There's currently 5 icons with text on every post whereas 3 icons on their own would suffice IMO. We know what the quote icon does and we know what the flag icon does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

See we've now got downtime scheduled for 6pm. 6pm? For whose convenience is that? The 9-5ers in Vanilla in Canada?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement