Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

28°c in Kildare now. Breeze not as strong today as yesterday.

21c at Clogga Beach Arklow

Hardly a fleck of a breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

seriously? what has your weather been like in general over the last week? Been roasting here in Cork since Sat.. I am acclimatising now.. and getting use to the frequent showers ekk not complaining though - twill be raining soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Donegal never seizes to amaze me, probably my favourite county to visit but the weather really is appalling. Only Donegal could find a shield for a heat wave like this. A shame because it’s such a stunning county.

summer 2021 definitely an 8.5 / 10 in Dublin. Another absolute belted of a day about 25 degrees and perfect blue skies. Since end of May we have had maybe one what you would call ‘bad’ week, June was lovely and dry and plenty of days in 20s, poor week earlier this month but the garden needed rain and these past few days 28 degrees reached. I would take this summer every single year

Some convection towards the wicklow mountains

• Advertisement

Honestly, I don't know where you are getting this information!?

I am in South Donegal and it is stifling! The town thermometer is giving 31 degrees. It's easily 28 degrees at the minute. This has been consistent for the last week at least.

I never understand why people make negative comments about places they're not in permanently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Looking at weather stations the last couple of days it has reached the high 20s in areas along the border and further south in donegal. The coast and North donegal hasn't been as warm, Malin head has been a disaster. Big county with big differences. Castlederg is 4km from Donegal border it has been 24 to 28c for days.

Currently 15c at Malin head. 24c in Donegal town.

I am clearly only responding to the person who posted before me who said it’s dull again in Letterkenny! I appreciate it’s a very big county but I was only responding to the poster and I go to Donegal every year a number of times. I have family in west Donegal who said the weather has been pleasant but not overly warm.

I am not suggesting it’s not hot in southern Donegal, it’s a huge county with its own climate.

Maybe you should have referred to those places only. Not Donegal as a county.

I really couldn't give a hoot what the weather is like anywhere else, unless I am on holiday there.

For the record, I think this heat is too stifling and not enjoyable to be in.

I haven't been able to let my children play outside since early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is 29.2C currently in Castlebar, we might get over 30C on Wednesday all going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Slasher was responding to my post this morning that it was grey and cool in Letterkenny. If you looked at the satellite from earlier you'd see a persistent band of low cloud over north Donegal over the past two days.

Finally started to break up a bit over the past couple of hours at least so a nice warm afternoon now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very warm again today in Dunshaughlin, overall a touch warmer than yesterday with less of a sea breeze however the breeze is starting to get going here again. Earlier we had a temperature of 26C, now currently 25C. This time yesterday it had already cooled down to 22C.

Temperatures will lift up again from tomorrow. I expect most places to be 2 or 3C higher tomorrow and on Wednesday into Thursday hotter again with temperatures generally in the 27 to 30C range widely across the country with a few places possibly reaching 31C. I wouldn't be surprised if we see one or two favoured stations getting to 32C on Wednesday or Thursday if sea breezes are very minimal. If sea breezes are stronger than 31C could be a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I understand car thermostats aren't the most accurate, but after a 35 minute drive it was reading a constant 30 degrees. Easily about 26-27 degrees in cork city anyway. Loving it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Got a bit of a question here for Syranbruen. What is the warmest ever night time temperature in Ireland?

Looking at some of the models it's possible that on Wednesday or Thursday night, parts of the country may not get much lower than 20 or 21C before sunrise and shooting up to 30C fairly swiftly on Thursday. I know we've had some very warm night time minimums of 18 or 19C in the past but have we ever had an entire night remaining in the low 20s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

They're fairly accurate, but you're getting the temp of the air above the road, which will be warmer than the middle of a field for example.

Btw it's a thermometer. The thermostat in a car controls the amount of coolant flow to the engine :P

5pm

Mount Dillon 29c

Malin Head 14c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A fair few stations are on course for official heatwave conditions (defined by Met Éireann as 5 consecutive days of achieving a maximum temperature of at least 25.0C) tomorrow with 4 consecutive days as of the 19th. In case you missed my post in the stats thread before the site shut down, I'll give a brief summary of past heatwaves. Heatwaves have been recorded by Irish stations using the above criteria in June/July 2018, June 2017, July 2013, May 2012, July 2006, July 2005, August 2003, June/August 1995, September 1991, July 1989, July 1983, June/July/August 1976 and July 1972 since 1970. The longest heatwave was 18 days at Kilkenny in June/July 2018 followed by 14 days at Birr and Ballybrittas in August 1976.

I have also added in Durrow and Kilkenny climate stations. Might add other climate stations from the WOW site.

I edited table with official final values for 19 July.

As for the minimum temperature record, I will get back to you on that when I can 👍

Post edited by sryanbruen on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hasn't been a bad month here by any means, most days fairly warm and useable but nowhere near as good as the rest of the country. Lots of cloud most days and a cool northerly breeze keeping the temp around high teens/low 20's at best.

Beautiful evening now though, cloud fully burned off a couple of hours ago

Interesting the Dublin locations a degree or so cooler today than yesterday, I thought today felt 2-3 degrees warmer here in D5 than yesterday, less breeze too. Really surprised by that data.

mount Dillon and oak park really impressive numbers the past number of days. Still find it so frustrating they don’t have the station at Kilkenny castle anymore or somewhere like mount Juliet. I bet they were sweltering locations the past number of days

Arpege 12Z for Wed showing plenty of 30C and 31C

Thurs showing some 32C in the west!

• Advertisement

I posted about those charts on the technical thread. To be honest I think the Arpege is definitely overcooking it as it does show 33C on Thursday for Shannon Airport. If there is even a sniff of a sea breeze or a few clouds in the sky these temperatures won't happen. Most other models are more conservative with temperatures of 27 to 30C.

I wouldn't be surprised if the highest temperature record was broken after what happened in Ballywatticock on Saturday. I think the met office text forecast had a high of 26c for Saturday. Just a tad out ha.

Heat has been building for days and the nights are going to get warmer so we're starting off from a higher temperature base come morning. Time will tell, interesting to see just how high it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Oppressive is definitely the word to describe it here in Roscommon since Friday. 29C and not a puff of air.

Last night a very very slight breeze rose from 22.00 to 22.30 and it was heavenly!

I'd be a lover of heat as much as anyone but with the humidity and lack of a breeze it's not at all enjoyable between 11am and 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What a week it has turned into, this spell crept up on us out of nowhere. Boards should go down for a week more often if this is the outcome 🙂

This is an exceptional spell of weather that to me is hotter overall on a nationwide basis than 2018 and 2013. We're getting close to 1995 territory here although this spell won't last nearly as long as the 1995 one.

Tonights ECM shows how warmer than average we are. Currently we are between 3 to 6C above average.

By Thursday we will be between 6 and 8C above average, maybe closer to 10 above normal in some mid western parts.

The +15 isoterm will be across Ireland on Thursday.

GEM has similar for Thursday with even +16 uppers possible.

The heat on Wednesday and Thursday is going to be fairly extreme by Irish standards and some of the warmest night time charts I've ever seen for Ireland. Temperatures will begin to slowly slide away from Friday particularly in eastern areas but overall staying in the low to mid twenties into early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

This would be my sentiments exactly

sitting in the shade out the back as it’s cooler than the house ! Wouldn’t be against a breeze picking up like it did last night. Otherwise I’ll be very cranky tomorrow :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Office coming out fairly strong about the temperatures introducing an Extreme Heat Warning. Could see a yellow warning here for Ireland too, doesn't quite fit into Met Eireanns Amber warning criteria but close enough. Good explanation below from the Met office about the heat in areas not accustomed to such temperatures and the source of the warmer air.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to 25.1C here out near the coast in Kerry and currently 20.1C, definitely felt hotter in town, nice sea breeze when I got home this evening. Blue Skies all day with just a few small clouds about this evening,

for the Record todays NASA EOSDIS Sat Pic

EDIT: Just noticed you can click on the Sat Pic to see original size, Handy, can put in larger in future .

Met Office is giving 30C for Belfast on Wednesday/Thursday and mentioned that the NI heat record broken on Saturday could be under threat again.

Met Eireann will probably issue an orange level heat warning at some stage tomorrow.

• Advertisement

That's not a 33 at Shannon, it's 32 on top of two other 30-something values. Look closely. Presuming over 31.5C is rounded up to 32 by the model, I don't think it's overcooking it by much if at all. Completely plausible it could hit 31+ in some spots I think. Whether or not any official stations will get there is another story!

Advertisement