Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the 1 week downtime & move to vanilla killed this place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Not dead, but it's the hottest summer of the year so people are at home less.

I'm not a fan of the new layout, can't properly navigate my forums that I subscribe to. No idea if I'm following a thread after I comment on it, and how to turn it off.

The layout of the UX is weird. Even now I've got this massive blank space on the right side of my screen and there's way too much white space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

That's an easy one-install the dark reader add-on, enable just for this site, unless you want it elsewhere-and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭archfi

Yeah, I'm all for alternative Irish based places - have browsed **** this evening - no harm in alternatives

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

as long as it doesn't go the way voat /boards did, it'll be grand. (although a mod or two gone rogue posting inside secrets would be some craic)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Really missed the site when it was down and not liking the new look. Resistant to change but won't be browsing elsewhere instead just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I missed it when it was away but it doesn't quite feel the same since its come back. Visually I think it looks well but it is a lot more hassle trying to navigate around the forum, particularly on mobile. Taking your phone out of your pocket and having a quick scroll isn't really an option anymore.

It's not as bad on the desktop site but the site does feel much quieter, which could be down to a number of things from the weather to the new layout to the week of the site being down.

The main thing that needs to be addressed IMO is the mobile site and having the drop down list of forums from the top of the screen.

The longer issues remain unfixed the more people will drift away from the forum permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm certainly here less often. Some might think that's a positive thing though. Slowly trying to figure out it all works now but that's going slow.

I only use the desktop version on a 42" TV and can only view at most 2 short posts at the same time due to all the white space.

I miss the dark/orange theme as all this white is hard on my eyes. I guess I'll have to use a dark theme extension for my browser which is always a pain.

Something went wrong.

Unless find all my posts and followed threads returns this site is gonna be a dead duck.

I find the site hard to navigate as well to get to the forum you want.

The touch site is horrific. Think this is gonna be the final nail in the coffin with boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The loss of the most thanked posts is also very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I agree the my forums list and the dropdowns are essential, get that sorted on desktop and half the complaints will disappear, then fix the modile experience, I find it unusable but tend to use desktop more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Not a fan of the new site. I've noticed that 50% of the forums I used to frequent have gone significantly quieter. I can't find the other 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nevermind. How do you delete things?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

I hope not. I missed boards the week it was gone. I'm not much of a poster but read alot so I'm hopeful it will remain popular

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

"My Discussions" is only the threads you started - well at least for me it is ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I think it could well be finished if they don't do something drastic. It's an absolute disaster of an update and that's clear to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 New app

Why change the thanks function for a like button, ad generated revenue threw Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Made a right balls of boards. Its harder to navigate around and the touch site which I always used is horrific and impossible to work your way around it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I think you have to click the boards logo then go to 'my threads' tab. But you don't get notified when a thread has been updated. Only if you have been quoted. Some forums don't seem to appear there though, even if you have posted it them since the upgrade, but I am guessing they are just bugs that might be fixed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yeah, it's horrible. Can't find anything. Posts in some threads seem to be in a weird order. Excessive whitespace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I'm beginning to think the boards owners fell for one of those scams doing the rounds at present when they hired the developers for this rubbish. Politics.ie did something similar years back and lost over 70% of their posters over the course of the next few months.

Shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Tried to use the mobile for a few days and it's impossible to the point I don't even bother anymore

Finally got around to using it on a Desktop and it looks ok, however the functions are unnecessarily renamed and impossible to navigate along with the site loading incredibly slow

Hard to even read posts with the tiny text and huge white space. There's no need for facebook, twitter or like icons either in every single post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

The new site is a terrible experience . I access it only on my phone and it’s a nightmare to navigate. Is there any going back? Or at least to something that had the same UX?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

See you all in r/Ireland.

This sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Rollback or fail, you couldn't make up what has happened, I hope whoever owns the site as a good contract with vanilla that means they can sue them, there used to be a full site option so you didn't need this desktop crap, it works OK on desktop but I only access boards or the Internet on my phone so end up switching every time I access boards, not user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah and simultaneously to that happening there has been an explosion of Covid posts on r/ireland so that explains whats happened

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm afraid that I agree with most of the criticisms aired here, and I'm an old timer on Boards for nearly 17 years so I've seen the changes over the years. I understand the need to upgrade the system at times and the need for the occasional downtime for maintenance/upgrades etc.

The mobile site is nigh on impossible to use - madness in this era of smartphones and many - if not most - posters accessing boards through their phone. The my forums and followed threads option appears gone. There are two Current Affairs forums...

One full week was far too long for the site to be down, and whilst undoubtedly the great weather was a factor in a huge drop off in posts, the week offline and the user unfriendly new layout is a major factor.

The web developer who re-did the site made a complete balls up of it. Take heed of the views of your users, boards - no or too few users = curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I agree this new boards is crap and all, but I see people talking about going to reddit and twitter and I think, really?

Twitter is kinda toxic to me, everyone seems to be frantically trying to get as much attention and re-tweets as possible and there's no real actual discussion either from what I can see. Dislike the place to be honest.

And a week or so of using r/Ireland made me think that the place is terribly overrated. It's not that bustling with activity, most of the threads aren't that interesting, discussion isn't great overall - the format sucks for it - and whatever about the many user unfriendly features of this version of boards it's still better to look at and has far more functionality than reddit. Reddit is just plain ugly. Boards isn't what it was, that's for damn sure, but it's still streets ahead in terms of what it offers than r/ireland.

As for that GUBU site: look, fair play to them I guess. I gotta give some respect to someone who was so pissed off that they were willing to set up their own alternative site, not just talk about it - and some posters have signed up whose hearts are in the right place. But the likeliest outcome for the site is it just becoming a magnet for people kicked off boards or with a grievance against the site - the amount of stupid over there could be potentially reach maxed out levels fair quick. It'll definitely attract a crowd of some, but I don't think much of what they have to say will be worth a whole lot. Maybe not, we'll see. Don't think the UI over there is really better than this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭jmcc

The new design has broken the Boards.ie's information architecture. That is going to make the main asset of Boards (its historical posts) difficult to use. Conversations and discussions are now more difficult to follow.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your Posts can be found - with a bit of digging:

On your profile page, click on Comments (at the bottom of page).

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement