Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Sorry, but it seems to me that you are the one exaggerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It is a ploy to encourage younger adults to get vaccinated I assume, otherwise having night clubs open right now without mandatory vaccinations is hypocritical.

I suspect they will end up toning that down to vaccination or a negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Of course it does.

My feelings on matters that affect me are exaggerations. Of course they are. Mon dieu.

I like the idea of course, but sure, why wouldn't you have implemented that now?

Everything feels like it's being announced on the hoof as their control of messaging spirals out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deeperlearning

The hundreds of thousands required to isolate in England are having severe impact on transport, manufacturing, retail, hospitality and are pushing supply chains to the brink of collapse and wrecking any recovery.

The FTSE 100 dropped to its lowest level since April today and sterling sinks to five-month low against dollar.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/19/markets-live-latest-coronavirus-news-pound-euro-ftse-100/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

An unintended consequence of allowing the virus to spread. On what was supposed to be Freedom Day, huge numbers of people are expected to isolate and have less freedom than had earlier levels of restrictions remained in place.

Apparently the "pingdemic" is resulting in people uninstalling the Covid app. People don't want to be pinged, possibly for a second time, given they will now lose more freedoms than was the case just last week and there is less financial assistance if you can't work. Some people would rather not know if they were around someone who has just tested positive. Not good when you've just had several potential super-spreader events with the Euros.

I'd say the mandatory vaccination for nightclubs and large events from Sept. is another reaction to an unintended consequence. The removal of restrictions has also removed the incentive for those on the fence to get vaccinated. Whatever chance there was for getting some of the fence-sitters to take the jab, that is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Cummings is back again to stick the boot into Boris over Covid-19.

If what he said can be proven you would think he could be in a spot of bother, however he is like teflon man. He will deny, bluster, deny and move on.

Cummings will be lucky to get a job again with the amount of dirt he is spilling. Hardly ever talked to the media and now he won't shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's obviously possible to have minimal or no restrictions. What the UK will be an example of is whether it's a good idea or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He will be fine. IIRC in his briefings before he was very complimentary towards Sunak, Gove and Raab. All three will scream blue murder about him in the presence of Boris, but behind closed doors those 3 lads who are fiercely ambitious will be loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I stopped reading after you referred to England as the mainland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

This is getting really really messy all of a sudden. Business ministers are now telling us that one way to overcome the increase in NHS app self isolate notifications is just to ignore them as they are simply advisory.

If we are applying the Swiss Cheese Model to managing this virus then those holes are certainly getting bigger and bigger right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Purely being used as a means to get people to turn up to vaccine appointments in that age group.

Come September there will be another uturn, the nightclubs will claim victory in having got the government to back down, as will the opposition. I hate pretty much everything about the current UK government, but this I don't see as anything more than them deliberately taking a pr hit in order to convince some youngsters to get jabbed. Considering the negative hits that Johnson has taken so far without damage though its a fairly minor one, but still good that they are prepared to promote a policy that they have no intention of implementing but need to make the population think they will to get the jabs in the arms.

Other than offering cheap beer to under 30's as an incentive its as good a motivator as any.

Thanks for telling me that. Your thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated and will be taken under consideration with all the weight that they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sekiro

So are we thinking this is going to be the new angle of attack?

Yes, you've been vaccinated but you can still test positive.

So, you might think you've opened up but you were in contact with a positive case so into isolation with you!

Haha! Freedom Day was a failure. Hooray!

So instead of the whole country being in lockdown at once they would instead have a rotating group of a few hundred thousand in isolation at all times.

It just feels to me like too many people are eager to see this fail and can't wait to gloat about how it isn't working.

In Ireland, I wonder how it will ultimately play out. With the nice weather everyone seems like they are back to normal anyway. Only difference being less tourism, no bars or restaurants and no big events.

We should be quite close to lifting restrictions, I would think.

There is also a big concern about Flu this year and the impact this will have on the NHS. They need to get this wave out of the way before that hits and also make sure everyone is vaccinated.

The message I'm reading is "Go out, enjoy yourselves, but come September you need to be vaccinated because we need to put in place restrictions to stop this wave and prepare the NHS for the worst flu epidemic in years".

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/25/is-the-uk-in-for-a-bumper-flu-season-this-winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why did the UK government and the UK's devolved administrations not consider social-distancing orders and closure of non-essential businesses to be enough last March? The same question may be asked regarding Italy and Spain and Latin American countries.

If people distance among themselves when exercising or travelling to and from work or for essential shopping, then there's no problem. As for the one-hour-a-day limit on exercise, police officers at the start of their shift at work won't know whether those people they see outside were also outside during the previous shift on which other officers were working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭brickster69

All roads lead to Rome.

So hospitals were under incredible strain last winter, and will be under incredible strain again this winter, so lets put them under strain again this summer too? Doesn't seem like a sensible strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Well I suppose the idea is that if it is inevitable that there's going to be a rise in hospitalisations when restrictions are lifted, better to have that in summer than winter when you will get covid on top of flu hospitalisations.

• Advertisement

The rise would in hospitalisations would be much smaller if they retained some measures to limit the spread. 60% of Covid hospitalisations now are from unvaccinated people. If they waited until more people were vaccinated, then the hospitals wouldn't be put under this strain now. A rise in cases may be inevitable but this level of rise was not inevitable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There really isn't a whole lot different in what you can do in the UK this week compare to last week, other than nightclubs now being open. Now that does have the potential for creating a lot more new cases amongst the younger age groups, but far better for them to be out partying during the summer and blowing off that steam potentially in outside venues than doing so during the winter. Only other option regarding that part of the economy is to just ban nightclubs etc forever, and that isn't going to happen.

Regarding other activities last week you could go to the pub, drink indoors, eat indoors in a restaurant, go to the cinema, go shopping, go visit friends, go stay in a hotel, travel around the country and do pretty much anything you wanted. Just until Monday there was a law about wearing masks on public transport, now there isn't, but nobody questioned anyone not wearing a mask on public transport anyway so no major difference. "Freedom day" was a stupid title as it suggested that something significant was happening to the changes in the rules, it really wasn't any change for 99% of peoples daily lives. We are still mostly wearing masks in shops and standing on spots 2m apart in the queues, but other than that you can do pretty much everything, and you could do pretty much everything last week as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Everyone in England who wants a vaccine pretty much has one at this point, they're not planning widespread vaccination of kids. They can't wait "until more people were vaccinated" because nobody else is going to get vaccinated.

The "level of rise" of the exit wave is pretty much inevitable at this point, it's more a question of when and for how long.

Yes the only other option regarding that part of the economy is to just ban nightclubs etc forever, delaying open was absolutely not an option!

The changes on "Freedom Day" are largely irrelevant. The damage was done before it and the Euros has further exasperated the issues. A large part of the problem now is the change in people's behaviour as for many their mentality changed even before actual restrictions did. Lets just hope that deaths (due either to Covid or the shortage of hospital resources) stay low and that a new variant isn't spawned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭brickster69

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭El Vino

There is actually a few data points that suggest 3rd wave might have peaked already. in the past couple of days there has been a falling off in new cases: from 54,674 reported on Saturday, to 48,161 on Sunday and 39,950 on Monday. Those are for the UK – for England the corresponding figures are 50,955, 44,777 and 34,657. There is a weekend effect but this has typically impacted death reporting more than cases. this is lifted from Spectator which I know is far from unbiased but case numbers are accurate

Also the Governments' antibody survey suggests more than 90 percent of adults have antibodies already perhaps such a thing as herd immunity might be possible.

I hate Johnson and blame everything that went wrong on him but there is a chance this is the right strategy.

when you look st the constant push from all and sundry to get a jab as soon as possible, the concern about flu and the huge flu vaccine push the UK are about to launch, it all starts to come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Yes but vaccinations are slowing down and many younger people are not bothering with the vaccine. It may be that if they don't relax restrictions now they may have to keep them into winter and next year.

• Advertisement

delay it to when? next year, the year after?

Advertisement