Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Because everyone has already heard everything that Nigel Farage has to say , repeatedly , ad infinitum for the last decade or more.

The man doesn't exactly have a broad range of opinions.

He says the same thing every single time he opens his mouth , the underlying message of what Farage says hasn't ever changed.

What exactly is it you think people might "learn" from watching him now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

why would that be any of your concerns? People are obviosly responding well to his videos, it is not up to anyone to provide you with reasons why they enjoy Farage. All opinions must be represented

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's interesting that you ignored the post to write this and I don't know what point, if any you're endeavouring to make here. What is it I'm missing out on by ignoring Farage? I watched plenty of videos of him before and it's always the same thing. The man's the most predictable entity in British politics at this stage.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I can't learn anything from a man who I believe is a complete liar who spouts stupid easily taken apart barstool falsities about the M25 elite

There is nothing interesting in not engagin in negative bias, As i said beofre I enjoy Farage and i'm happy he is on GB news.

I dont have to have an opinion on your views

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Suit yourself but it's weird that you're bothering to post if that's the case.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The argument you put forward was the people might learn something new or gain insight by watching Farage on GB News.

The point being made is that he has nothing new to say , he never has - I watched him 10 years ago , I watched him 5 years ago and I watched him last year. He was still saying EXACTLY the same thing.

Tuning in to watch him on GB News is the exact definition of confirmation bias - He'll say exactly what you expect him to say and confirm what you already thought/believed beforehand.

In fact that is the entire point of GB News as it currently stands - It's not News , it's opinion and it's exactly the same opinion their target audience has had for years.

Absolutely no one is going to have their mind changed or expanded by watching GB News.

If you already agree with their views then their output will resonate , if you currently disagree their bombastic approach will do absolutely nothing to disabuse you of your current view.

Thought provoking TV it is not.

Certainly not.

There is no evidence of that whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Exactly the same thing?

The migrant crisis across the English Channel has not been going for 10 years.

His views on lockdown, COVID-19, and effects on small businesses, has not been going for 10 years.

His views on the 1922 Committee in the UK have not been going for 10 years.

All of which, and more, were discussed on his inaugural GB News TV show last night.

But you are pretending to have listened to Farage a lot over the past 10 years just to utter the falsities peppered throughout your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

If ever there was a video that sums up Nigel Farage, it's this:

All sound and no substance.

And when his lack of substance is shown, "oh well it was all just completely meaningless anyway" and on to the next quickfire soundbite about unelected old men in Brussels.

So if indeed it was all just completely meaningless, why did he bring it up in the first place?

And, remind me again, wasn't he one of those "old men of Brussels" for 20+ years?

At least on LBC, the callers were able to challenge him - his GB News show is essentially an echo chamber where he can say whatever he likes and no-one to say or ask otherwise.

He's right.

We, like the French and Dutch and Danes, were forced to vote again. It's also true that the EU Commission is unelected.

When he spoke of "meaningless", he's referring to the changes that Claire Byrne brought up. And to that end, he's right - tiny, irrelevant changes that make no meaningful difference to Ireland's position in the EU. And his point was that it would have been better for the EU to have listened to Ireland's voice the first time instead of being bullied and forced to agree to the "right answer" to the question.

And yes, he did bring up the EUs general faults. He's right too - after all, he has an audience to speak to at home to try and win conversions. Only a total fool would not have exploited that opportunity.

As for him working 20-years in the EU, absolutely. But he was one of the few campaigning for the job to disappear as fast as possible!

In the end, it is you providing soundbites.

The argument i put forward from the very beginning is that a new channel with a non-left view is a welcome change and I'm rooting for them.

I also pointed out how strange that people who dismiss the channel seem so threatened by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Meaningless - but yet we got what we wanted. I suppose we should do what he said and leave the EU (funny you didn't address that point - was it not you accusing of being selective?) instead, that's really going well for the UK after all!

The opening assertions here are objectively wrong. As I said, he's nothing more than an unprincipled grifter.

Most media already had a non left view. They are not filling the gap they claim to be filling because it doesn't exist.

Its the same old " I am going to say the things you are not allowed to say" despite the fact these supposed not allowed topics have been discussed in the media ad nauseam for years

He was also a City of London worker for years despite being all about not being one of the M25 elite

The "Issue" that he rails about might be different over time , but the message is always the same.

Europe Bad , Immigrants Bad , British Empire Awesome.

He might intersperse it with the odd dig at the "establishment" to ensure he keeps his "man of the people" credentials , but he has nothing new to say , ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He goes on about Great Britain but he is really just a little englander. and a tedious one at that.

• Advertisement

I don't know how anyone falls for the man of the people thing. Even the way he says India pale ale in that video is like someone who had to practice how to say the words for the first time. Its an IPA no one ever uses the full name

Confirmation bias. The cigar and the pint help but they're just window dressing. As long as he plays to their xenophobia and baser prejudices, they'll lap up anything he says.

All they really need is someone who has enough profile to be on TV telling them their racism is ok

Wanting to control your own borders, like Australia and Canada and the US - with visas, and so on, is not racist.

It's called being responsible.

Unless, of course, you are arguing that the above countries ARE racist because they have implemented policies which Nigel Farage happens to want for the UK?

All of my substantial dealings with brexiters went way beyond wanting to control borders it was racism and xenophobia.

Nothing I have seen from Garage over the last few years has changed my mind on that.

Not doing a great job with those visas right now either. Construction and hospitality are in a deep staffing crisis

So, from that, you would argue that the 52% who opted to Brexit were largely racist people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Andrew Neil's proxy The Spectator has seemingly decided to run a "hit" piece on Marcus Rashford probably as the dead cat to shift media attention away from the latest Cummings interview and the fallout that should ensue from the utter clownshow of Boris' premiership.

Imagine taking an editorial line no doubt approved by Mr Neil as chairman, that besmirching the feeder of children, and slayer of Tory MPs is a newsworthy topic on the day Boris is accused of pursuing Senecide as a government policy.

Let's see the piece first, and the evidence, before drawing any firm conclusions.

That said, judging from his Tweets, it does seem that he financially benefited from his actions.

If that turns out to be the case, then his intentions and ethics must be called into question.

Put the shoe on the other foot: if this were Nigel Farage, the Left would be having a field day with accusations and abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Jesus that Farage lad is a joke, nothing but pure scutter from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Diversity of opinion is great, don't get me wrong but that diversity is only step one. What a lot of people fail to grasp is that the important step is assigning value to those opinions and making a judgement. For example, I would assign a high value to legal advice from a solicitor while I would assign a low value to legal advice from some bloke down in the pub, even if he was drinking a pale ale.

A basic part of being human is the ability to learn, and a lot can be learned by listening to experts about the fields in which they are experts. Unfortunately we now live in an age where idiots are dumbing themselves down even more by filling their heads with low-information content and even worse, misinformation and it's having real-world consequences. For a while, it didn't affect me directly but now it is. I can't even meet my dealer now without listening to shíte about 5g vaccines and all sorts of crap and it's all because average people are letting themselves be duped by conmen. It's gotten a bit personal which is why I find my way into these threads.

No because I don't believe 52% of the people who voted for Brexit done it because of Farage or watch GBnews.

I said people watch Farage to have themselves patted on the back for their racism. I never said all brexiters are although most of the ones I met were but I didn't meet all 52%.

So stop the sad attempt to try catch me out

I learned he will shoehorn the word brexit into any conversation and his guests are of questionable intelligence.

I certainly did.

Farage is an exceptional analytical thinker and formulates arguments with haste, accuracy, and evidence to hand. That's not common, especially among the typically robotic political class. And the fact he achieves this with fluency and some degree of charisma only adds to that already fruitful soup.

In fact, I think the same about many figures on the Left. Even though I disagree with their worldview, they demonstrate very effective analytical skills - again, with haste, accuracy, and facts to hand - and so, even if you disagree with them, you can admire and learn from the way they think about a given question.

So on the day after a long awaiting interview with the SPAD considering to at 1 time control HMG, who confirmed that mere weeks into Boris's new government that he and a group of others discussed replacing him?

You think the Rashford story may be more newsworthy?

That a Prime Minister cast the elderly to the lions and delayed the autumn lockdown at the cost of thousands of lives and a member of his inner circle gave an interview confirming a policy of Senecide?

But the Rashford endorsement story is more newsworthy?

Interesting illustration of how you assign value to information and it's dissemination.

• Advertisement

The question isn't a competition between Rashford and the Government re: news headlines.

The question is: what happened with Marcus Rashford? Is what he did ethical? If not, why not?

We can argue about the Government, too, of course - but the questions are mutually exclusive.

Perhaps the Government are at grave fault. Maybe they are. But let's see also if wrongdoing was also performed on behalf of Rashford.

You are pitting both against each other, almost hoping - dare I say - that the Rashford story is whitewashed from public purview.

Well the Rashford story matters not a whit to me other in how it's used.

What does interest me will be what editorial value the Spectator place upon it, rather than the biggest English political story since 2016. It places a very distinct slant upon their editorial bent.

A political earthquake story that has been anticipated for quite a while? Or a story about how Marcus Rashford, footballer parleys his fame into endorsements and what he does with his money?

So what did he say tonight that impressed you? Which of his interviews made you sit up and listen? Did you even watch your hero tonight?

I certainly did watch the second episode tonight.

But you're missing the point.

It's not as if I consider Farage a descendent of some political papacy, eagerly awaiting infallible tablets of verbal stone. Rather, it's his general worldview; the classical liberal, late 19th-century approach to politics. He, and others - such as Jacob Rees Mogg - very clearly adumbrate the merits of such a worldview, both socially and economically.

Of course, that doesn't mean I agree with everything Farage says, but it does mean that he and others colour my judgment in ways that other political figures have so far failed to achieve.

Put another way: the mode of thought is what matters, rather than the specifics of what is said on any issue of the day.

Ah, so he can spout all sorts of shìte like he did tonight and that's OK with you because you basically enjoy listening to an odious little shìt spouting shìte.

• Advertisement

Well you Don't seem to want to talk about his guests tonight and what he had to say so I have to conclude that you either haven't watched tonight's programme or you're happy to listen to him spouting shìte because that's all he did throughout the whole sixty minutes.

In fact, I'm currently watching a subsequent appearance by Farage on the Dan Wootton show.

I did watch his show between 7-8pm. I enjoyed it, even though I thought the Pimlico Plumbers founder was a bit weird.

Did you really learn that by watching his latest show or were all those thoughts already formulated in your head

It's a combination of both.

You can never quite know what you learn until you're exposed to the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

What The Spectator is doing is interesting. Attacking what they see as a sacred cow and whipping up righteous outrage among people for whom Marcus Rashford is an heroic figure and a model for the kind of Britain they want to live in. The backlash will be fierce and that's exactly what the magazine wants and msm outlets will likely feel pressured into responding and giving it oxygen to keep it going. The kind of thing GB News needs to be doing itself to gain any wider traction beyond being an echo chamber for fans of Nigel farage, basically the Fox News model, which Neil denied was a target for them, but I for one didn't believe him when he said that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭20silkcut

So what he says doesn’t matter ? Just the way he says it?

fantastic.

Similar to a certain fella with a moustache in Central Europe 90 years ago. He had great charisma / mode of thought too even though what he was proposing was pure rank and utterly devastingly stupid.

If there were actual merits to such a worldview, you wouldn't have had to allude to the 19th century. All it is is the usual conservative corruption, racism and sleaze. Nothing more.

BBC are not left wing on news, sky news, newstalk... Even the likes of the Irish Independent and Times publish plenty of pieces that are from pretty right wing commentators. So in both the UK and Ireland there are plenty of mainstream news outlets that veer into the center right. Sure Andrew Neil writes for the spectator.

Even the rants about "woke" etc tend to end up showing up weekly in pretty much every newspaper.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement