Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never let me hear about kerry hospitality services again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

sheesh wrote: »
    wow people really hate kerry.

No. People love Kerry, it's truly stunning. This thread isn't about Kerry. It's about hospitality services in Kerry.
    dobman88 wrote: »
    Yet they all go there for a break away and complain like there are no other choices in the country :rolleyes:

There isn't a Carrauntoohill in every county, there isn't a Skellig Michael in every county. They're all unique offering different things. People choose to go to Kerry, not for the hospitality, but for the other unique experiences it has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No. People love Kerry, it's truly stunning. This thread isn't about Kerry. It's about hospitality services in Kerry.

There isn't a Carrauntoohill in every county, there isn't a Skellig Michael in every county. They're all unique offering different things. People choose to go to Kerry, not for the hospitality, but for the other unique experiences it has to offer.

All fair points but in a thread where people are complaining that the hospitality service they received was below the expected standards, there are loads more options to choose from throughout the country where they may get the level of service expected.

All fair points but in a thread where people are complaining that the hospitality service they received was below the expected standards, there are loads more options to choose from throughout the country where they may get the level of service expected.

Absolutely, most of the rest of the country does it better. But there's a unique attraction to the landscape and seascape of Kerry that keeps people coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Yet they all go there for a break away and complain like there are no other choices in the country :rolleyes:

Yes, we all do that, all 5 million of us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Kerry has had the golden goose since Victoria visited in 1861. I'm amazed ball's they haven't killed it yet....but give them time.

• Advertisement

Yes, we all do that, all 5 million of us :rolleyes:

Lol. All the people complaining in this thread, not the entire population obviously because that would be completely absurd. I didnt think it needed explaining but here we are.

Absolutely, most of the rest of the country does it better. But there's a unique attraction to the landscape and seascape of Kerry that keeps people coming.

So if people keep returning and know the service is below what they expect they've only got themselves to blame really. Add in the fact that the OP didnt tell whatever place he visited that he wasnt happy with the service so they dont have that feedback to improve on.

If I went somewhere with poor service, id mention it to staff. I'd visit again and if it was still bad, I'd not return.

Repeatedly going somewhere that is providing a poor service to you seems mental, despite what the landscape has to offer. There are comparable landscapes all along the west coast also tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

I was in Killarney / Kerry recently and the place is dead.... there's at least 2 or 3 hotels on the main street closed. I haven't been in Killarney in years; I couldn't get over the amount of accommodation about the place.... There must have been a fierce amount of American tourists about in recent years to justify all the room space. I can't see how some businesses down there will ever reopen. I also spent 4 days in West Cork. A completely different offering... and whilst not overly busy either, the locality doesn't appear to be as dependent on tourists. I'd go back to West Cork in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So if people keep returning and know the service is below what they expect they've only got themselves to blame really. Add in the fact that the OP didnt tell whatever place he visited that he wasnt happy with the service so they dont have that feedback to improve on.

If I went somewhere with poor service, id mention it to staff. I'd visit again and if it was still bad, I'd not return.

Repeatedly going somewhere that is providing a poor service to you seems mental, despite what the landscape has to offer. There are comparable landscapes all along the west coast also tbf.

I never mentioned who it was because its against forum rules.
    I said it at the time and they didn't care. I left it with TripAdvisor and the fsai in the case of cone selling establishment.

Dont hate kerry. I chose to live here having relocated.

I never mentioned who it was because its against forum rules.
    I said it at the time and they didn't care. I left it with TripAdvisor and the fsai in the case of cone selling establishment.

Dont hate kerry. I chose to live here having relocated.

It's not against forum rules. We've already mentioned that The Shire and Cronins would be known for being a bit shìte. It's a review. Not an attack.

Fair play for saying it at the time. Many people dont and just complain (in vain) on sites like this. You've given the feedback so it's up to them to take it on board. As you say they didnt care, I'd just never go back there again.

You've literally got 100s of places to choose from so wouldn't let 1 place ruin your experience of an entire county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's not against forum rules. We've already mentioned that The Shire and Cronins would be known for being a bit shìte. It's a review. Not an attack.

Fair play for saying it at the time. Many people dont and just complain (in vain) on sites like this. You've given the feedback so it's up to them to take it on board. As you say they didnt care, I'd just never go back there again.

You've literally got 100s of places to choose from so wouldn't let 1 place ruin your experience of an entire county.

As I said, I'm living here now. I'm stuck with all you inbreds and you're stuck with me :D.

Frankly it's a grand place to live, even if I can't understand half of whats been said to me.

Was walking in the square not long after moving down and an old man stopped and asked me how I was. I was stunned to say the least and pleasantly surprised. The day before as I went to work in Dublin everyone was running around, heads down and avoiding eye contact. Glad to be able to see the sky without having to look vertically up.

A lot of people don't go back to the places with bad service, they go back to Kerry! There's enough once off, non-return customers to fill the seats. Anyway, I don't like bashing areas, it's a fantastic county with unbelievable landscape, wildlife and adventures.

Anyone interested in chocolate should buy Mint Brittle Skellig Chocolate. This isn't any old chocolate jumping on the Skellig bandwagon, it's really really good.

Just back from a spin back to Derrynane for a run along the Kerry Way.

Pompeii Pizza at Wave Crest. Perfect pizza, weather, scenery, evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tony H

just pre covid I booked an overnight stay for my wifes 60th birthday in a famous Dingle hotel , 4 of us went and it cost the guts of 650 euro for bed and breakfast , crazy expensive but she didn't want fuss with a party and I thought it would be worth it , IT WAS'NT ,
    This was on a wild november night and first of all no heating in the rooms , broken window catch that led to a corridor , laundry room opposite our room and we got the cead mile failte in eastern european staff shouting and roaring getting supplies at 6 am , the breakfast was dire , mass cooked scrambled eggs and deep fried sausage just to name a few ,
    the rooms were like something from the 70's with cheap carpet , bathroom had a broken extractor vent and poor shower , toilet seat was loose ,
    apart from that had a great night in Dingle itself despite the monsoon rain ,

I have to say I love Kerry and the Kerry people and have stayed in some great bed and breakfasts there , and will again .
    The wife wouldn't let me complain but I gave them a lovely review on tripadvisor ,

Guess the Hotel ?

Tony H wrote: »
    just pre covid I booked an overnight stay for my wifes 60th birthday in a famous Dingle hotel , 4 of us went and it cost the guts of 650 euro for bed and breakfast , crazy expensive but she didn't want fuss with a party and I thought it would be worth it , IT WAS'NT ,
    Guess the Hotel ?

On cost alone I'm guessing the Dingle Skellig Hotel, which has been a byword for "eye wateringly expensive" for as long as I can remember...

A lot of people don't go back to the places with bad service, they go back to Kerry! There's enough once off, non-return customers to fill the seats. .

Exactly. Which has been my point about 1 persons bad experience tainting their view of an entire county. "Never let me hear about Kerry hospitality service". OP has since said they live in Kerry and find it agreeable most of the time.

A good barometer to judge if a place is decent or not is to see does it open during winter or just for the silly season. I can think of a handful of places off the top of my head in Killarney alone that I'd never dream of going to but they are packed out all summer. The common theme being that they all close for winter. Just in it to make their few pound and not pushed about providing any kind of service.

Ime the majority of places that operate year round would be quite good because they have to be if they want to be supported by locals when the tourists arent around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I was in Killarney / Kerry recently and the place is dead.... there's at least 2 or 3 hotels on the main street closed. I haven't been in Killarney in years; I couldn't get over the amount of accommodation about the place.... There must have been a fierce amount of American tourists about in recent years to justify all the room space. I can't see how some businesses down there will ever reopen. I also spent 4 days in West Cork. A completely different offering... and whilst not overly busy either, the locality doesn't appear to be as dependent on tourists. I'd go back to West Cork in a heartbeat.

in fairness to Killarney (and I'm from Tralee so I hate them! :) ) A lot of their business is weekend breaks by Irish people and that would be all year round bar maybe January even if it is raining the visitors will be out walking during the day and come back for a meal in the hotel at night. The Americans are still there but not as much as they used to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

As I said, I'm living here now. I'm stuck with all you inbreds and you're stuck with me :D.

Frankly it's a grand place to live, even if I can't understand half of whats been said to me.

Was walking in the square not long after moving down and an old man stopped and asked me how I was. I was stunned to say the least and pleasantly surprised. The day before as I went to work in Dublin everyone was running around, heads down and avoiding eye contact. Glad to be able to see the sky without having to look vertically up.

The ‘inbreds’ Comment isn’t called for, even if it’s a joke. No need for it. Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Just spent the last two days in Killarney. I’ve never seen anything like the bar staff/waitressing. Absolutely horrendous. I thought London was ****e.

The bars are so bad that when they’d eventually come to take your order I’d get two pints at a time. It wasn’t for lack of staff either. Even trying to pay a bill. I had to ask in one place 3 times for the bill.

We had breakfast yesterday morning in “the shire” lovely looking place tbf. 50 minutes after sitting down our breakfast arrived. The place was half empty at that stage. The lady says “so sorry the wait, you won’t be charged for your coffees, would you like another? Herself says “yes please” The coffee never arrived. Surely to God you make sure that customer is sorted after all that - no.

I genuinely never complain anywhere. I just put up with it but I had to let people know just how bad the service is.

Killarney is beautiful though. We had dinner in “Rob’s Ranch” the 2nd night. That was excellent but every other bar/restaurant was shocking.

I grew up in Killarney in most of my family members work in the hospitality sector/tourism sector there. They are finding it extremely hard to find staff in hotels, bars and restaurants so I’m not surprised at this. A lot of the staff are probably new with no experience.

I worked in a large hotel in Killarney during the recession and back then it was even difficult to find staff. I’d say at the moment a large amount of people don’t want to come off PUP.

That’s just my 2 cents anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I grew up in Killarney in most of my family members work in the hospitality sector/tourism sector there. They are finding it extremely hard to find staff in hotels, bars and restaurants so I’m not surprised at this. A lot of the staff are probably new with no experience.

I worked in a large hotel in Killarney during the recession and back then it was even difficult to find staff. I’d say at the moment a large amount of people don’t want to come off PUP.

The government has to start putting pressure on businesses to being in a living wage, else it's going to get worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Lia_lia wrote: »

Talking to people around town there's a definite shortage of experienced chefs about. Anyone with any sort of cheffing experience is in serious demand.

What you said about staff being new and inexperienced is spot on too.

Was talking to a manager of a hotel in town and he was saying a lot of experienced people moved into other jobs/industries.

I was reading the Advertiser this morning and I don't think I've ever seen more job openings advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Talking to people around town there's a definite shortage of experienced chefs about. Anyone with any sort of cheffing experience is in serious demand.

What you said about staff being new and inexperienced is spot on too.

Was talking to a manager of a hotel in town and he was saying a lot of experienced people moved into other jobs/industries.

I was reading the Advertiser this morning and I don't think I've ever seen more job openings advertised.

Yeah my Mother is chef and there’s been a shortage of chefs in the town for years. It’s a problem in the whole country tbh. But Killarney especially bad as there’s so many hotels. Plus there’s a huge lack of rental accommodation in the area and chef wages/work conditions aren’t always the best. Many of the hotels get student chefs over from various European counties. Not sure if that is happening now with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Had two nights for two in Ballygarry House outside Tralee on the B/H weekend.
    We dined well, bottle of wine each for dinner, c 30 euro a pop
    availed of the spa treatments for a fee,
    got free charging for our EV
    free bike hire
    all for euro 990.19 and 100% supporting an Irish business with Irish suppliers of food, so none of your asparagus from Peru

great staff,
    great service
    great food
    great wines
    great room
    great parking
    great gardens

bonus: TK max down the road

That's absolutely insane. I can't comprehend spending that much for 2 nights. It's bonkers

You could go to a 4 star resorts with flights in a whole hape of countries for a week for that.

I love Kerry and my family ran a holiday home but this whole thing of justifying ridiculous prices because you're supporting Irish is only an excuse for thecIrish hospitality to bump their prices

siblers wrote: »
    That's absolutely insane. I can't comprehend spending that much for 2 nights. It's bonkers

You could go to a 4 star resorts with flights in a whole hape of countries for a week for that.

I love Kerry and my family ran a holiday home but this whole thing of justifying ridiculous prices because you're supporting Irish is only an excuse for thecIrish hospitality to bump their prices

You may have missed this follow up post which provides quite a bit of context. At the end of the day, each to their own.
    Just reposting this as a foil to some of the negative, disparaging remarks posted in response thereto.

To those of you who gave it a thanks, much appreciated, I think its a personal record for a post of mine:D

1: You can't take it with you, certainly not if a bake and shake.
    2: If you look at my profile you should find a link to a 5 year long thread about prostate cancer.
    3: I am no longer in remission so facing an uncertain future.
    4: Enjoying life and making a contribution to Irish run companies post Covid/Brexit when I spend my mula is where I am at right now.

So in conclusion, before pi$$ing in on a post, maybe consider what else is out there, show some empathy and don't dismiss people like me as fools.

Have a great day:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

sheesh wrote: »
    in fairness to Killarney (and I'm from Tralee so I hate them! :) ) A lot of their business is weekend breaks by Irish people and that would be all year round bar maybe January even if it is raining the visitors will be out walking during the day and come back for a meal in the hotel at night. The Americans are still there but not as much as they used to be.

Killarney is all-year round. As well as Irish people on weekend breaks, there are conferences nearly every off peak week. Then there are the various "events" like "Killarney at Christmas" etc. Kenmare would be much more seasonal, as would Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Lads, i checked a few weeks ago and there were plenty, plenty of hotels in KIllarney at about the 100e a night rate. Which is pretty good all things considered.

There are also options there for people who want to spend 1000e on a weekend or 4000e etc. There wouldn't be if people were not prepared to spend it and were happy to spend it.

Annoys me ever so slightly this talk of price gouging in Kerry. There are plenty of "deals" out there if people look.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Are swimming pools and leisure centre open in the hotels?

Fils wrote: »
    Are swimming pools and leisure centre open in the hotels?

Yes, we booked a slot with reception when we checked in but they're open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

I was really happy to see the new self drive boats (https://dingleboattours.com/self-drive-boats.html) on offer in Dingle until I checked the prices. €90 for 1 hour, for a boat with what looks like a 10hp engine limited to the inner harbour. I can accept the price and restrictions price but for just one hour?

In Greece, I just rented a 5 seater with 30hp engine: €100 for half a day from a legitimate business. No limitations as long you get the boat back (same story with no license required). Probably the highlight of my recent holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not sure what your point is here?

Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe,Greece is not.

Advertisement