Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

His mindset is delusional and evidently so is his coaches. Alternate reality McGregor FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭dubrov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not really. Just some scaldy knacker shouting death threats. If I wanted to experience that for free, I'd take a stroll around Dublin's North Inner City.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He hasn't beat a top fighter in 5 years so how can he fight at the top level?

If he's serious, he needs to go beat 2 top 10 LW's to get another shot at DP. He won't though, he's more interested in beating DP (which he wont) and win the title, then go box Manny and the illusion that this guy is a great fighter will continue.

I don't even think he'd beat Diaz in a 3rd fight if I'm honest.

• Advertisement

Ah sure loads of the great fighters in MMA and boxing are total dicks.

Matt Hughes is a wife beater, Tito Ortiz too, so is Mayweather, Mike Tyson is a rapist. Fury is a homophobe and an anti Semite. As is Manny. The list is endless really. Its not a sport where I look to for moral guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The sports doesn’t have to follow fixed logic or competition like other sports do. A packed arena in Vegas or wherever it may be, and the watching ppv around the world, just want to see an exciting, brutal and hopefully competitive main event, which mostly happens to be a title fight which makes it more exciting. Most of the time the rankings will dictate who fights and that is the right way to do it.

Mcgregor has always provided the excitement with the exception maybe of Poirier 2 which was a bit anti-climax. I don’t necessarily agree that fight 3 was shaping up for another early finish by Dustin, and it certainly was thrilling up until the injury.

Anyway he will be out now for best part of a year at least. So long time now till any discussions about him are relevant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Poirier 2 was surely more exciting than the Cerrone fight?

Poirier 3 was shaping up to be quite the beating as I've said so I think in many ways he's lucky the ankle/leg injury stopped Poirier doing real damage to him as the gas tank continued to empty.

We all know Mcgregor if he makes it back will have a warm up fight, possibly with someone like Ferguson who is a name but on the wane in a big way and is a pretty stationary target for him to pop off at and look impressive dismantling and then he will be in the next title match as long as its DP holding the belt, if not they can just come back and do Poirier 4 right off the bat but he would surely still be better served having a tune up fight and actually occupying the cage for a couple of rounds.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Have always got the impression that McGregor is just a little 'too Dublin' for many .....over here I mean

would love to get a demographic of his detractors.......I suspect many are not from West Dublin or working class Dublin in general

Nobody should be expected to root for someone who has consistently proved themselves a vile pos

Kellie Harrington for example is very "Dublin" but she's an admirable person and athlete

Andy Lee is from a traveller background but is very admirable

McGregor is just a scaldy, and has proved it in spades

Nothing to do with "Dublin" or "begrudgers"

He's just a horrible thing that should be given the commensurate level of respect that that deserves

• Advertisement

Someone sent me on one of his latest Instagram posts, it has all the hallmarks of man shouting at a cloud, but the comments were worth a read for the entertainment :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

hard to know where he goes from here, and hard to care either....

the loss to Diaz just f'ed him up, messed with his head, put whatever career gameplan he had out the window, and thats 5 years ago...

4-4 in the last 6 years MMA, and still we watch, and still we hope

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm from West Dublin and if punching oul fellas in pubs is a little too Dublin, then he's too Dublin for me to.

I was a fan before all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm from both West Dublin and working class area, and think it's absolutely impossible to defend a huge amount of his behaviour in recent years. I'm not sure there is much logic to the point you're getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

The fact that I identify similarly to McGregor makes it worse for me. He's represnting Ireland on a global scale and embarrassing the shite out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wouldn't pay much attention to NSCA , They didn't even know Bisping was blind in one eye , He fought multiply times with zero vision

Well when they are saying no injury was disclosed to them pre fight its pretty clean cut though no? You are not needing to rely on them to make any determination there. It would also be simple to disprove, all anybody in the UFC or McGregor team for example would just have to produce the document where the injury was disclosed. Conor was happy to post pictures to portray his leg as being damaged after the fight, no reason not to show the NSAC are lying if it were the case.

Ah its all a bit of sport. People take MMA WAY too seriously. Quite enjoyed the trash talk in the build up, big cheer for the power strut when he got into the Octagon, entertaining 5 minutes and then we got to see someone with his leg snapped in 2 trash talking on the mat and then doing a Tony Montana type exit on a strecther.

Give me that once in a while over 25 minutes of wrestling to a boring decision. Someone mentioned GSP earlier. His career post Matt Serra was a snoozefest. Never drew a dime.

That said I love a good technical high skilled match up aswell but not every fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

This is a ridiculous take. Born and bred on the Northside here and he's an embarrasment to Dubliners. Not a single one of my family or Friends supports this guy. Hes nothing but scum come rich. What kind of mentality does it take to not just punch an old man, but use your strongest weapon, e.g. the left hand, to assault an old man for refusing a drink? Whatever he was in the early days is gone now. All thats leftis the worst example of a Dublin scumbag with millions in the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Yeah many people like me had never even heard of MMA until he came along....It’s great crack...Love your Masvidal...I understand I’m not a real/proper fan but the trash talking/entertainment from the lads is mighty....I believe from analysts Khabib is maybe the greatest - wouldn’t watch if he was out my back garden...I understand what others are saying about his behaviour though....Your man Bisping cracks me up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This take is almost as embarrassing as Conor's post-fight excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Your missing the point, he isn't winning fights, the trash talk needs to be backed up. Couple of more losses and it would lose any confidence fans have in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HoliyMoliy

He’s best days are behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HoliyMoliy

He peaked when he knocked out Aldo. He’s record since has been average. It’s a savage sport which takes its toll on the body. He has more than enough money made to support his family for the rest of their days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

He's lost support, but I don't see how interest is waning. He's just had the second biggest PPV of all time, and it was a pretty average card on paper. He'll be the biggest draw in mma until he retires.

So Dana claiming Mcgregor has "chronic arthritis" in both ankles.

Err, thats not good.

Yeah very much like the Mayweather effect, people will either tune in to support him or tune in to see him get his ass beat for another little while. If he doesn't get back on track in terms of wins though in the near future I honestly can't see that interest holding either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭noc1980

His next fight will sell at least 1.5m PPVs and it wouldn't surprise me if it hit 2m. He's could make it in to the perfect hollywood 'comeback' story. He's not Floyd Mayweather where people tuned in to see if he'd be beaten for the first time. McGregor had losses before he even entered the UFC. He just trebled the buys of card featuring Israel Adesanya and Nate Diaz, probably the UFC's 2 biggest stars after McGregor. He could lose his next 2 and still be comfortably the biggest draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Sure it’s a shame he has lost these fights. But his losses have been to Diaz, Mayweather, Khabib and twice now to Poirier. He turned Diaz into a global super star, was never expected to beat Mayweather and it was clearly just good finances, nobody could beat Khabib and he put up a decent fight with him, Poirier hasn’t lost in ages and is likely champ-in waiting, and the last fight only ended due to a terrible injury.

Who cares about people’s points here anyway, most seem to be anti Mcgregor and have no understanding of elite level ass kicking. I’ll support him till he retires as long as he still brings the buzz. Sure his age, injury now and losing fights will reduce his star power and make his pre-fight bravado look a bit silly.

He has all of the top 5 ppv in ufc history. He is still its biggest and shiniest star despite these losses.

• Advertisement

He's broken 2m once, the fight with Khabib. Now he may break it again but I wouldn't be so sure it will be anytime soon. He's not Floyd in that he's not undefeated but if you don't think theres a pretty significant similarity in people buying in whether they love or hate the guy to either see his hand get raised or his face get smashed I would have to disagree, he will never have the pulling power of Mayweather at his peak but for MMA he is light years ahead of the pack, if he continues to lose its only going one way thats obvious.

His aura is gone now which was a big part of his selling point. His ability to create a stir for a fight is still there of course but it was markedly different this time around with his style possibly turning viewers off and the manner of the defeat coupled with the antics post fight, which continue today are pushing him further from the centre.

His average PPV in the UFC is probably somewhere between 1.4 and 1.6 million? I know Aldo was around the 1.4, Eddie and Cowboy were similar, 1.3 1.4?

The Diaz 2 fight did 1.6 and DP 2 did around 1.6 also, think the global buys for DP 3 brought it up to 1.8 after Dana said it was trending at 2m so in that sense it did worse than they expected. People do get tired of the same show generally speaking and without wins and belts to back it up there is a finite amount of time people will continue to shell out. I'm not saying if he doesn't win his next 2 its over for him as a PPV star, but once he is on a 5 fight losing streak its pretty hard to keep selling redemption stories and that something is going to be different next time etc as he fights lower and lower calibre of opponent.

Advertisement