Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

My aunt in her 60s had an immediate allergic reaction to her first AZ and they advised she get a different vaccine for her second dose. Her GP wrote a letter to a consultant 6 7 weeks ago, he needs to give permission for her to receive a different vaccine and still no word. She's contacted them a few times since and nothing. She's in Donegal with the highest incidence rate.

She's very worried. I'm sure there's others on the same boat, surely a better system should be in place by now , her GP told her there's only 6 consultants in the country who can sign off for her to get another vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No reason at all why mRNA type vaccines with a 4 week gap between doses could not have been allocated to the general population in their 60s. There was plenty of supply to cover those in their 50s who were largely fully vaccinated between mid May and mid June.

I'm not whining - just pointing out that it was a poor strategy to use AZ in the way it was, when you look at it from the stated objectives of the overall scheme.

As regards the future, who knows. All medicines have side effects and sometimes these only become apparent after time. If it were to come pass that say those who were given AZ are shown to statistically have a greater risk from some limiting health condition - e.g. a greater likelihood of stroke. Then the state and taxpayer could be in big trouble as the state clearly said to this age cohort 'Take this AZ vaccine or go to the back of the queue'. Singling out one group of citizens from the rest is always inadvisable and should be avoided. The state has potentially exposed itself to a risk that it didn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 purplecorn

At the Aviva they didn't say anything about me being 2 hours early (went in at the same time as my housemate who had theirs at 9am), all they looked for was the date – when I said that I knew I was early they didn't care, just waved me through. Maybe it's more of an issue at smaller MVCs like Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

I am not saying you are whining, I am saying some people would have if they had been delayed while AZ was available. And that would have put a lot of pressure on the government.

The first 50s were vaccinated on the 10th May. On this day, 269k people over 60s were already vaccinated (338k vaccinated now). So 80% of the 60s were vaccinated before the 50s started. The overlap and the situation where "a Pfizer was given to a 50s where it could have been given to a 60s" then only applies to 69k people (minus the people that registered late or could not get the jab at this time because they were infected or unavailable). I am not denying the overlap, but that is not the majority of cases. Should we have delayed 269k people to wait for the Pfizer doses that were eventually given to the 50s ?

Agreed on your last paragraph, and that is the same for all the decisions that have been taken recently, we don't know what is the best call. They finally opened Janssen for everyone and people under 35s (me included) are rushing to get one. What if it is the worse one for young people? There are too many articles on each vaccines, that gives an illusion of choice and that we should have an opinion on each brand, but they are all approved by the EMA. We get 5-10 jabs when we were children and our parents did not know the brand or list of possible effects. We take dozens of tablets in our life, and if we were reading carefully the notices and the list of potential effects, we would not take even an ibuprofen.

At the end of the day we all sign a paper that taking the vaccine is our choice and that we understand what we do, so I am not sure if the state will be made liable if something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Thread title needs updating. Registration is open to anyone over 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

An interesting Twitter thread on the apparently ineffective J&j vaccine.

https://twitter.com/monscience/status/1417815387476013057?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This post times 1000. Don't get people cancelling 3 or 4 appointments because of 'work'. Like just tell work you have to get vaccinated, what are they gonna say?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

• Registered Users Posts: 37,710 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Arm is still a bit sore but feeling a lot better today compared to Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I went early for both jabs in citywest, they just wanted to see the text message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Is North Dublin one of the slowest for vaccinations? I thought I read that somewhere a week or two ago but I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

I’m 27 and registered three days ago. Got a text today for an appointment for Pfizer vaccine on Monday. Really quick I’m very surprised! Does anyone know when I get to the vaccination centre in Citywest would they be able to give me the Janssen jab if I asked or would it have to be the Pfizer???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You will only receive the vaccine that was mentioned in your text (Pfizer) and cannot receive a different one. If I were you, I would go for it though....you'll be fully vaccinated within four weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

It's moving very fast now and we are past the 45-35 age group which is our largest population cohort. It's a much bigger population relative to those younger and the system is running at full speed, so it is it will fly through the 20s.

They'll only give you what is registered for in advance of the appointment. The process is totally streamlined at the MVCs - there's no option to change things on the day and they just need to get people in and out and know exactly what stocks are needed on site.

If you want Janssen book a pharmacy appointment and cancel the MVC, but just bear in mind that it's busy at the pharmacies and you might be waiting.

Pfizer-BioNTech is a great vaccine though and you'll be done and dusted with high immunity in 28 days.

If it were me, I would go with the shot at the MVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I went by GP and you were in a queue and someone took the name of next in line. My first jab I was out just as my appointment time went on my watch

I have a question Group 4 and 7 were for people with underlying conditions was that just adults or everybody

There was a lot of countries that did the same as us with AZ we were the last. People were lauding the UK with there spacing out vaccines. They are trying to vaccinate everyone. Should they stop everyone getting a vaccine until everyone over x is vaccinated. That is stupid and slow

You do know why you have not received your vaccine don't you. Its because you have the virus and could give it to people. You will get it as soon as you are better. Your daughter and everyone are getting there vaccine at a quick rate surely that is great news but no its moan as someone may be before you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Adults only. At the time the groups were phased there was no EMA auth to give it to children at all for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

Looking that way, waiting a good while myself but I know of friends who registered only this morning and have already gotten appointments at the other Dublin Centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Well it has been 2 years since I have been home to Ireland. Me and my kids haven't seen my very aging parents and so forth.

Got Astra on 14th June and told it would be 12 weeks until the second dose. So did not expect to be getting home to Ireland any time soon.

But actually they have changed the recommendation over here on "mix and match" vaccines.... and on the time between vaccines. And there are so many people not taking the vaccines that the Injection Centres have gone from strict control of appointments to being "Walk in any time without appointment".

So I wandered in today on a whim and got a Biontec on the spot and my digital certificates. I was in the front door and out the back door in less than 25 minutes.

So 2 weeks from now I and my kids (both under 11) can travel to Ireland happily enough without quarantine too.

Have my first day planned. I am doing a run / jog from Clontarf to Howth and back. Then plunging into the sea in Clontarf stark naked regardless of weather and then I am going to go home and have a large bottle of Club Orange and a stack of every corn snack (Snaxx, Hot lips, Wagon Wheels, Tayto Waffles, Monster Munch, you name it if I can find it) and I am going to eat myself sick. Then after a nap I am gonna see if I can find myself a Guinness and a Beshoffs Fish and Chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Cohort 4: People aged 16-69 years and at very high risk of severe COVID-19 disease

Cohort 7: People aged 16-64 years with medical conditions at high risk of severe COVID-19 disease

Source: https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/

Although this other source says Cohort 7 is 16-59: https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Got my second vaccine today. Hope I'll be grand after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sharon_B

16 and over. Both my nephew and niece, one on both cohorts, got theirs aged 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Got my 2nd Pfizer 8 hours ago. Still feel good, only very very mild arm pain. Should I feel optimistic that I've escaped symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Most people say that they felt worst during the night or the next day, but all I ever experienced are what you described and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Croke Park is going at a snail's pace. 28+ days waiting for second jab and 36 year old brother only got first jab there yesterday.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Is it not 4 weeks fir second jab except for AZ though that is xhanging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Probably wasn't clear there. I'm 28+ days waiting for the second shot and those very helpful people on the hotline told be there was nothing they could do until it got to 5 weeks and only then would they escalate it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement