Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Comments

Isn't it amazing the amount of brand new accounts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭grofus2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Chill I was only joking but from what as come out so far it looks like the best one. Least risk except for the 5G and magnetism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I love how the "I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but..." crowd just make up their own statistics!

0.003% mortality risk, my arse!

The actual real figures, from the real world, as reported on by mainstream media, using data from actual scientists, medics, and epidemiologists, are somewhat higher!

Over 30 times higher than your made-up figure, in fact.

Post edited by TaurenDruid on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Allinall

i would bet my double jab of AstraZeneca the majority of them have been recently banned from boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The reason we vaccinate for polio is not to prevent death but the 1 in 200 chance of developing permanent paralysis.

We don’t vaccinate for chickenpox in any meaningful way. It’s not part of childhood immunity programme as it’s threat is considered low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Chicken pox was a bad example.

But exactly what my point was that most of the anti-vaxxers are banging on about the risk of death ... not the risk of illness / long term effects of covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I believe the reason I'm getting vaccinated is not only to protect myself but to protect the community. The message is the same when it comes to children. When the data is in and the decision is made, it will be for the good of everyone and not just the individual receiving the vaccine.

I would like to think the same level of care, research and testing has gone into the decision to offer me a vaccine me as would a child. It's not a case of lashing any old thing into adults and then get all precious about giving children the same thing.

Fortunately I think most level headed people will come to the correct conclusion and it will just be a minority that hold off and even then they might eventually come round.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nobody is obliged to come around, especially to your way of thinking. It is a choice parents make for their own children and they are free to do so without the moral outrage of others. No decisions have been made here yet and it could be they we decide not to do so.

• Advertisement

Considering both my kids had it without noticing and it was only caught as a result of a travel related pcr test, I'm on with them staying unvaccinated. If they get it again they may well be immune going forward anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Not really in the first 3 and last 3 pages there are 7 posters with less than 150 post, some as low as two most in the 40's and 50's only one looks like a fresh account from early july, none look like they were set up for an agenda, correction Gofuss joined two days ago but so what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

It could well be that most parents agree with you and don't vaccinate - we then get another variant that circulates in the unvaccinated and medical advice is okay we really need to vaccinate under 18's now. Really hope this is not the case by the way! I'm merely saying that when the time comes most people will make a sensible decision. And I can assure you no moral outrage on my part. It's not my way of thinking its the message that we're getting told. Vaccination is our way out of this. I could be wrong and we don't need to vaccinate children. Wouldn't that be a result for all concerned.

According to Forbes, as of today, death from Covid 19 in age 0-19 years is so small they measure it in micromorts. 1 death per million.

0-19 age group is 30 micromorts. Or 30 per millon which is actually 0.00003%.

So I guess you were right, I missed off a 0 or two 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Again, the issue is that while your kids had it without knowing, they could have infected a whole heap of other people.

The point of vaccinating children is not just about protecting individual children, it's about reducing virus transmission in the wider community.

Asymptomatic transmission is also divding medical opinions. Some think that Asymptomatic carriers do not have enough viral load to pass on the infection

A study done, I think in South Korea, found that was the case

It's really not dividing opinion. This is another lie. I don't know what your motivation is for this - is it just having a laugh? It's very odd. I know you're making it all up but maybe other won't.

Vaguely waving your hand and saying "I think there was a study..." is another classic anti-vaxxer, anti-science, George-Soros-is-stealing-my-thoughts tactic. If there was such a (credible) study, you'd have posted it.

Again, the WHO states Asymptomatic transmission can occur but is "very rare" Their quote not mine. Idiot

Just for anyone who's reading this and thinks it might be true...

Someone from WHO said that asymptomatic transmission was 'very rare' - they said this on the 8th June 2020, long before any actual studies were done. And they retracted it the following day.

Every bit of information that has followed has shown that asymptomatic transmission is very real. Please get your information from reputable sources and not cranks with bizarre agendas.

EDIT: here's the WHO position on transmission.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): How is it transmitted? (who.int)

"Whether or not they have symptoms, infected people can be contagious and the virus can spread from them to other people.

Laboratory data suggests that infected people appear to be most infectious just before they develop symptoms (namely 2 days before they develop symptoms) and early in their illness. People who develop severe disease can be infectious for longer.

While someone who never develops symptoms can pass the virus to others, it is still not clear how frequently this occurs and more research is needed in this area."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Data from the CDC is hysteria now? Ok

We don't need to guess the rate of myocarditis in male athletes. It's been completely debunked that it was causing it in large numbers as one doctor said last year

https://www.tctmd.com/news/low-incidence-myocarditis-among-pro-athletes-diagnosed-covid-19

• Advertisement

Forbes, that well known medical journal? Don't include a link, whatever you do! Be terrible if someone wanted to fact check your assertions!

Also, death is only the most severe virus side effect. There's also things like long COVID, effecting up to one in seven.

Another assertion without attribution. You're good at that!

This site will not let me post links so I've copied and pasted an article from BMJ. Presumably they are credible

Ha, won't even let me do that. This forums a joke

TaurenDruid, Former, I have the links and the docs but aibt allowed to post them.

I'm done on here as its like playing tennis without a racquet.

More like whack a mole with all the anti vax trolls

I saw a study, I think it was from South Sudan, that proved you don't even need a racquet to play tennis. It's all a media invention.

really??? I guess we should wait to see all the athletes, footballers, tyson furys, 1 in 7's struggle with long covid then....god their agents and manager must be **** themselves. amazing how they all defy the odds of the dreaded long covid in the new Olympic village.

got what a horrendous ordeal for at least one athlete below..end of a career stuff then...

With the Olympics set to open on July 23, here is a list of all those so far who have tested positive for COVID-19, leading to the alteration of their Olympic dreams or the end of them altogether.

• Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi - July 19: Monyane and Mahlatsi, two players for the South African soccer team, have both tested positive for COVID along with team video analyst Mario Masha.
    • Ondrej Perusic - July 19: Perusic, a 26 year old beach volleyball player from the Czech Republic, tested positive for COVID while in the Olympic Village in Tokyo.
    • Katie Lou Samuelson - July 19: Samuelson, a member of the United States' 3 on 3 basketball team, tested positive for COVID and will be unable to play in the Olympics. She will be replaced on the team by Jackie Young.
    • Neil Powell - July 19: Powell, the South Africa Sevens rugby coach, tested positive for COVID upon his arrival in Japan.
    • Kara Eaker - July 19: The United States Olympic Committee confirmed that Kara Eaker, an alternate on the U.S. Gymnastics team, tested positive for COVID. 
    • Coco Gauff - July 18: Gauff, a 17 year old tennis player for the United States, has withdrawn from the Olympics due to a positive COVID test. Gauff had been slated to be the youngest tennis player in the Olympics in over 20 years.
    • Team GB - July 18: Six members of the Great Britain Olympic team were reportedly forced to go into isolation after being exposed to a COVID case while on a flight to Tokyo. The athletes in question will be able to leave isolation upon passing two PCR tests.
    • Bradley Beal - July 15: Beal and Jerami Grant, two members of the U.S. Basketball team, have both been placed in health & safety protocols. While Beal has been ruled out for the Olympics, there is still hope that Grant will be able to make the trip to Tokyo, as Shams Charania of The Athletic reported that Grant did not test positive for COVID.
    • Alex de Minaur - July 10: Alex de Minaur, the No. 17-ranked tennis player in the world and the top-ranked Australian, has withdrawn from the Olympics after a positive COVID test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think you can see as this forum winds down and as people move on, the threads are becoming increasingly full of the zealots, who invariably are anti-vaccination. If you're pro-vaccination, you're elsewhere getting on with your life now, but if you're anti-vaccination your life is still dominated by Covid. It's sad really.

As for this thread I have to ask the question again - why would I be happy for my children not to get the vaccine? I can see lots of medical evidence about what Covid is and how little we know about it, other than it seems to have a wide variety of potentially very serious side effects. Has it been definitely proven that Covid is safe for my children to get (because inevitably it looks like they will get it), and if not, what are the government going to do about it? I don't want my choices about the health of my children to be constrained because the government are worried about outraging the concerned parents of Facebook brigade - let them gamble with their children's health, but I want to know what the science says.

Raind, you could be on to something, its almost like they're waiting for the slightest whiff of anti vax and they jump all over it.

I wonder who's paying them !!

Last port of call for the desperate troll. “Everyone who disagrees with my baseless ranting is a shill”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

In answer to the OP, yes I would be more than happy to vaccinate my kids.

Advertisement