Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Yeah, the Halloween, valentines etc versions don't really interest me to be honest, can't see paddy fm doing so either. It's just Christmas for me...

The hint is in the name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was doing some background research on Christmas FM yesterday to try & clarify the first & last songs played each year (can only get as far back as 2011 atm) and read this entire thread from the start & it was a fascinating & uplifting read. Hadnt read an entire thread in ages & really found myself enjoying it & craving the build up later in the year. I suspect yesterday being so cold helped generate the wintery vibes!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

BTW, have exhausted most avenues for finding out the rest of the first & last songs broadcast in the years 2008, 2009 & 2010 & the first song in 2012 so if anyone is aware of any of these could they let me know? I have had all the others confirmed. Thanks.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

BTW, have exhausted most avenues for finding out the rest of the first & last songs broadcast in the years 2008, 2009 & 2010 & the first song in 2012 so if anyone is aware of any of these could they let me know? I have had all the others confirmed. Thanks.

Have you tried emailing them directly?

TRS30 wrote: »
    Have you tried emailing them directly?

I have.
    But i suspect they're not monitoring stuff this far out of season.

• Advertisement

I have.
    But i suspect they're not monitoring stuff this far out of season.

True. Assume you tried twitter/facebook etc? They might be monitor those as on phone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Got a begging letter in the post today from Alone. Never had any dealings with them at all, except for donating through Christmas FM last year.

As much as I think both Christmas FM and Alone both do great work, it's left me a bit peeved!

I find hard to give to any charities these days with the near constant stories of abuse of funds :(

Posy wrote: »
    Got a begging letter in the post today from Alone. Never had any dealings with them at all, except for donating through Christmas FM last year.

As much as I think both Christmas FM and Alone both do great work, it's left me a bit peeved!

Havent had the pleasure, as yet. The only donations I made to Christmas FM last year were on the big day they really push donations, I gave €50, so avoided texting in too much, other than a couple of requests for us on here (which I didnt hear being read out btw) but I'd be surprised if Christmas FM were giving out mailing lists or suchlike, doesnt sound like their kind of arrangement.

Or is it!!?? :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Posy wrote: »

Oh I got the same yesterday and was wondering where they'd gotten my address from. While I am sure I have donated to them in the past, nothing recently unless it was to ChristmasFM :eek:

• Advertisement

I noticed that this time last year we'd already had the random mid summer day of Christmas FM being back for 1 day which felt odd at the time (but I grew into it as the day progressed admittedly) shame they didn't make an annual thing of it and done the same this year, but I suppose summer 2020 was an odd one anyway so maybe it was a case of us all just needing a little christmas more so back then.

All the same, just 4 months until its back live on the air, really hope they go live online earlier like last year though, I really enjoyed that (especially having it on in the background for putting up the tree on the day of the late late toy show) but I wonder will that have been a 2020 one off too!? 😧

Lets hope so. I remember that well, was one of the nice surprises of last Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think the online early last year was a way to test the remote Dj’ing. By the looks of it if their studio is indeed gone they may need to test the remote signal again this year.

But it was a real treat. I had an absolute ball listening to it while putting the tree up.

Agree. With the launch on the 28th it isn't always feasible to have it up & running in time for the LLTS, so it was a nice development to have it last year. With the toy show scheduled for the 26th this year if its not up and running early online it'll be a playlist for us as I don't really bother listening in until the DJ's are in place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same I don’t listen in really without the DJs. They make the station IMO.

Have decided, given the awful weather out there today & the fact I'm working from home I'll stick on christmas fm classical & carols for a bit... its such a miserable dark day when I look outside it almost feels like its late November/early December

Really miserable out there. A day for the fire and a hot drink!

The rain has me craving a hot chocolate like you wouldn’t believe.

Getting close to the announcement of who this years charity partner will be, they're usually announced in August, though it was the first week in September last year IIRC. Its been pretty quiet this year so far, no newsletters for example so looking forward to seeing something from them soon.

I'm pretty sure I signed up to their newsletter before however never received anything. Just looking on their website there and don't see the option to join their mailing list. Just in case it didn't work last time for some reason.

• Advertisement

There hasn't been any emails/newsletters since the St. Patrick's day one re: paddy FM so you probably are signed up, they just haven't mailed anything in that time. As for signing up to the mailing list, it seems to appear infrequently, I remember mentioning it on here previously and a few people going to sign up and it wasn't on the website at the time, but randomly appeared again sometime after. I'll mention it again here if/when they issue another one.

Yep, thinking back, I'm pretty sure I did when it came up here (probably yourself who mentioned it).

Could have been after Paddy's when i signed up so could be why I haven't got anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I saw months ago that they were looking for a new location as the Ballsbridge hotel was no longer allowing them the space. I wonder if they haven’t found anywhere yet and can’t move ahead with finding a charity partner if there’s no physical base?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's not that the hotel isn't allowing them the space, it's that the hotel is being demolished.

Last year they worked remotely for the most part, well at least the presenters did anyway so I doubt a fancy space is needed, but yeah that's certainly a consideration in terms of getting organised, though on the flip side I'd be surprised if they struggled that hard to find a replacement base.

They can certainly have my garden shed, if it comes to that!!

Yeah 2 things wrong with this statement.

firstly the hotel is shutting down and being turned into apartments. They didn’t refuse them the space. The hotel had a permanent purpose built studio installed many years ago.

secondly they didn’t even use the hotel last year and worked remotely due to Covid. By the look of things remote presenting was always going to be the plan this year anyway.

I sure they’d rather a studio but I’m sure there’s plenty of venues willing to help out. Think of all the free advertising they’ll get.

The one bonus with remote working again this Christmas is that it increases the likelihood of them starting presenters online early, i.e. before the FM launch, like last year. That was a nice surprise & one I'd be in favour of them repeating.

Lets hope so. Loved having it playing on Alexa in the background in the kitchen all last year when it was on live. Would put it on at 7am when I came downstairs and turn it off when going to bed.

• Advertisement

Really noticed it on the days I was WFH (I know its available online 365 but I don't like listening in without the presenters) and it was even better on decorating day... otherwise we'd have had one of the music TV channels on which wouldn't have been the same.

Advertisement