Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROLL IT BACK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Yep

Ye fųcked it, just put a classic option in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They seriously should have just taken their time and programmed their own software their own way rather than trying to hack another forum software to work the way they want it to work - they complained about vbulletin being an issue but that was surely down to all the custom modifications they made to it and they are doing exactly the same thing now

If a software does not fulfill you requirements out of the box with future upgrades then you write your own code

I could have written the base code for what Boards "did" in the space of a few weeks - we're not talking rocket science when it comes to forum code, it's a bit of html, a bit of css, a bit of js and some DB optimisation

I was looking at the business plans for Vanilla - nearly 700 euro a month and we end up with this crap after 2 weeks and no end in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The soccer forum is absolutely gone since the change. It's like a ghost town over there. Actually seeing a lot of forums are only a shadow of what they were in terms of updates and regular posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It is absolutely unexplainable how there are still no drop down menus on the desktop site, and still no easy way to access my forums (the 10-15 forums that a user might use on a daily basis) on the mobile site, over a week after going live and following a few hours of down-time the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I've never used the Feedback forum before this week, and now it's practically the only thing I'm looking at. Mainly to see what's being said about "the big disaster", but also because it's just about the only place with any new threads or posts.

Also, the forums no longer list any of the mods, cmods or admins, and there's no way to know if a poster is a mod/cmod/admin when they post, or if they're just a regular joe barking at people (on desktop anyway). Could lead to a lot of unnecessary aggravation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not to pile on the weight the staff are no doubt feeling right now (God help them!), but I think it's so very telling that ten years ago nearly to the day, the site was like a Rolls Royce compared to what it is now - https://web.archive.org/web/20110721122309/http://www.boards.ie/ I really miss that version of the site, it was damned near perfect for what Boards aspired to be. Efficient use of space, nice delineation, functional, intuitive, was easy to explore and discover new communities, and was in general just a pleasant place to visit.

There's no doubt in my mind that everyone behind the scenes is putting their heart and soul into this migration, but to be fair to all (staff, volunteers, and users), it's been an unmitigated disaster. It's head scratching how the green light for the migration was given. I've been around Boards to see several site updates....they're never received well, usually because people don't like change. This is way, way, way beyond merely change though....the site actually shouldn't be live right now it's that bad. We seem to have lost some defining features of what made Boards unique, and the site is very very broken at the moment, & traffic seems to have plummeted as a result, there's the usual acres of empty/wasted space we see with some 'contemporary' site designs, scrolling has increased massively, clicking seems to have increased significantly, and on the whole, the site is far too much effort to be bothered to try and use. It's definitely not, a pleasant place to visit today.

It could improve with time, bugs squashed, problems resolved, tweaks made here and there....if the site survives the prolonged periods with such reduced traffic, reduced function, and such reduced relevancy. I can already see the seeds of some of the improvements, tagging users in posts, embedding media, and so forth. I feel though that the next 6-12+ months will be spent chasing a version of the site I was able to use 3 weeks ago, with a handful of modern updates tacked on. Even at that, personally I've hated the look of the Talk-To forums for years, and now that the whole site looks like them, I'm not confident about liking the eventual finished result. My time here, like many at the moment, has reduced significantly, and that doesn't look to change any time soon.

The calls for the site to be rolled back to its previous incarnation....yeah, that's never going to happen, ever. Boards seems to have had major, major struggles with bringing itself up to date...remember the previous 'responsive' site? Another absolute disaster, but at the very least it went live alongside a legacy version of the site. Thankfully, that exposed enough shortcomings that it was eventually pulled. Not the case this time unfortunately, and we're stuck with this version now I feel. I suppose I'm just at a loss as to how Vanilla managed to convince Boards management this was the way to go.... Yes there's improvements coming, but with a single developer at the helm (can you imagine being that person?), the workload is unrealistic for the site of this size. Somebody somewhere made a colossal mistake in green lighting this mess, and a site that tens of thousands of people cherish every day of the week, seems to have gone down the toilet as a result.

The only person responsible for this mess is the CEO, Odhran Ginnity.

The responsibility comes with the authority, which comes with the position.

It’s not personal, it’s just a simple fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Lad he's the CEO of a small regional messageboard not Jeff Bezos.

People need to chill out about this stuff. It's not the greatest injustice since the incarceration of Alfred Dreyfuss, its a site update that hasn't gone as smooth as expected.

Hear Warren Buffett has been monitoring the situation closely, and is looking to oust most of the Boards.ie C-Suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Is it just me or do spam threads seem to be a lot more prevalent on this platform? Counterfeit money yesterday, some sort of moving company today...

• Advertisement

Nonsense.

He's a professional CEO, member of multiple boards of directors, an experienced business strategist and currently sits in the driving seat of what at least was at one time the largest online community in Ireland.

Call a spade a spade. He was handed a shovel, thought it really needed to be a spade and put time and effort into beating it into a form that nobody wants, a tool that's no longer up to the job when a shovel is what's needed and not the spade they've turned it into.

The 'ah sure, it'll be grand' stuff has no place here. Over the past while, user experience and the user community here have ended up as backseat concerns, while all efforts have been made to secure commercial benefit for the business owners off the back of literally decades of that communities contribution. It's about time someone gave this consideration instead of lip service.

And nobody needs you to be making excuses for them here. They know what they've done. They know they've screwed this up. Just like most of us looking at what's in front of us today versus what was here in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Is any Admin or anyone actually giving updates on what the plan is or reading this thread?

They said the site was going down for an hour the other night to restore the my forums and still no sign of them. If this goes on much longer the site won’t recover. People will find other forums and won’t return.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

honestly, using it less now than ever

poor migration, hiccups can always allow but this......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,129 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How do I unfollow a thread that doesn't show up as bookmarked but keeps hitting me with notifications

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

No it's not possible. You can request your account be closed and anonymised (which is done on a thread by thread basis). You can request this by sending an email to datarequests@boards.ie or hello@boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

I think people are just looking for competency, Paddy. Like for example if your Nigerian favourite prostitute, Graceful Nwo. failed to take sufficient hygiene precautions during a night of scat play it would not be pleasant.

What Boards have done is analogous to that. Gone balls to the wall when they are not nearly ready. It has resulted in a messy experience for all involved. Nasty business.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How is there not a "My Forums" option? Old boards had it, Reddit has all the subs you follow at the top of the page, Twitter has the people you follow. Why go through 3 or 4 pages to get a forum you post on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Most wouldn't be bothered requesting access to a forum that they had access to before. I know I wouldn't, especially if there's nothing going on there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm getting tons of notifications since the "update" and I can confirm that lots of posters are seeking access to the soccer forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Been in a situation like that before Gill, not pretty. Don't think this is comparable. Anyone can just log off and do something else. Getting fecal matter lodged deep in the japs eye isn't something you can just walk away from.

(Edit: Just to say it wasn't a Nigerian who I've always found to have the highest of hygiene standards.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You wonder would it be easier to let everyone in by default, and then reduce it by banning troublemakers in the normal way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is good news for some. It appears that all the previous forum bans have disappeared😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hopefully the mods/admins will “tack on” a week, at least, onto any bans currently being served by those who just couldn’t behave themselves on the site.

It’s only fair considering the rest of us, who managed to stay within the “rules”, missed out on a week of site usage.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 81,129 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would have thought it would have been among one of the first things someone wrote down and said 'yeah, we need to keep this feature intact'

I can tolerate the rollout issues, and I can feign patience, but what cannot be faked is that all of the forums I follow are basically dead at the moment if there's nothing to read, there's nothing to reply to, and no reason to re-visit.

I feel they shot themselves in the foot with this update.and how they are being silent over it speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No he is the guy that says this about himself on the internet...

Odhran has been responsible for driving business strategy, growth and profitability at leading internet companies both in Ireland and internationally. His background is building teams across product development, sales and marketing in a diverse range of both B2B and B2C businesses. He has held executive positions at Daft.ie, Jobs.ie, Adverts.ie. Ding.com, Distilled Media, xSellco.com and Boards.ie.

PS I would have used the quote function, but I can't find it anymore.

Oh there is another thing fooked up the Editor.

Well if this is how he drives business and growth, then good luck to Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's still a commercial operation. There are still subscribers. He still bears responsibility.

He should resign and hand over to someone who can lead a project to roll back some or all of this disastrous misstep, before it's too late to save the site at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Advertisement