Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Where are these talks of a full house at the all-Irelands? Only 500 allowed at the hurling qualifiers this coming weekend about a month out from the all ireland and you think there will be a full capacity at the all-Ireland,delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

My argument is that the poster made two assumptions about a person without any knowledge of their circumstances, and the assumptions were completely irrelevant to what the texter to the radio programme was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nothing is for certain, but I expect we'll definitely be well beyond farcical notions of 500 people in a 20,000 seater stadium. There may be some special restrictions around children's events in particular (where you have large gatherings of unvaccinated individuals), limiting capacity or limiting the number of adults allowed (which was pretty standard pre-covid tbf).

Open-air events will most likely be full steam ahead but they'll be required to have some specific facilities such as a Covid officer, isolation room and hand sanitiser everywhere.

Indoor events & hospitality probably full steam ahead, but could have some capacity restrictions in terms of the number of children present. That is, events where children (under 12) are present could be limited to 1 child for every 3 adults. These are just throw-out examples.

It's worth noting that the emergency powers aren't required for all of these measures. The requirement for a vaccination cert expires on 9th October, or if approved by both the Seanad and Dail, can be extended to 9th January.

I'm having difficulty seeing under what circumstances both houses could be convinced to extend this. Globally the current wave is peaking. The UK's surge is peaking. Our surge will probably peak mid-late August, after which we'll be mostly vaccinated and numbers will collapse.

Despite what some want to think, no measures have been enacted or mooted by this Government without some level of plausible threat. Despite the wailing over May and June calling for a return of indoor dining, we can see with current case numbers that the refusal to do so was valid and pragmatic.

So when we get to the renewal date of these emergency powers, we'll have widespread vaccination and hospital numbers on the floor. There'll be no basis to request an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Supermarkets and banks have been open throughout and clothes shops have been open the past two months without a vaccination passport so I don`t see how anyone would see that changing.

Sydney at present is a world removed from Ireland. Australia went with a zero Covid strategy and was being praised here for their lack of restrictions by some. It work alright for a while, but they messed up by not using the space that gave them to vaccinate. They have just 12% fully vaccinated and are ranked 38th. of the 38 member states of the OECD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I said I was looking forward to full houses at concerts and stadiums from the 10th November and no masks or any other restrictions. Do you think that will happen? BTW can you link to where it says the All Ireland finals will be full house? 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I haven’t waved any white flag, I’ve just made the decision that I won’t let the global situation affect me like it used to.

yes, the public will be vaccinated but who knows what is around the corner? You are seeking answers to questions that no one can give you and that is frustrating you as a result.

Just let it go for the moment, we are at an interesting point that is incredibly positive steps forward. Things will work out

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

It is a generalisation to make a point.

Are you familiar with the concept?

I am just angry for the youth and what they have missed out on thus far.

This texter is likely not representing the majority as I would imagine most lecturers are missing out on the general buzz of being on campus and interacting with their colleagues and students properly.

This texters feelings on the matter are treated with the same level of seriousness that the reality of young people missing out on campus life is.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Just like this back and forth is totally irrelevant to this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Ah I read it as if he was talking about college lecturers more generally. But yeah one specific person there is no way to know their situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

After 18 months of insidious gaslighting you would want to be a right **** idiot to believe that this is going to be finished by November.

Of course, come November the same people are going to be telling us that nobody ever said anything like that and that it is perfectly normal that christmas needs to be restricted to protect the hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but you are hardly likely to encounter someone afraid to leave their house since they are afraid to leave their house.

Looking forward to everything being "full steam ahead" on the 9th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I’ve been saying this since last year, there is a sizeable proportion of university staff who are loving this and have no intention of going back to lecture halls if they can help it. Talking about more and more online content, while the students pay huge rents for a couple of hours per day in person lectures. They need a kick up the arse at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I suppose the numerous posters that said they guarantee that we won't have indoor hospitality this year will come back and admit that they were wrong? Yeah?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Everything that has happened in this country since March 2020? Weren’t you people telling us that the delay in opening indoor dining wouldn’t happen just a matter of hours before it did?

Access only with "papers" is worse and very dystopian. I wonder will the numerous posters who guaranteed we wouldn't need a vaccine pass to access parts of society and services (and passed off any suggestion as a conspiracy theory) come back and admit they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Perhaps for those who eat,sleep and drink Pandemic,it may be as you say.

There are still a significant cohort (see what I did there :) ) who regard RTE as the official source of information in Ireland,and as a result are influenced greatly by the regularity of the awfulness being peddled.

However,the fact of increasing numbers of "Ordinary" people now actively reclaiming as much normality as possible without referencing RTE,NPHET or Dr Holohan's Twitter is far more threatening to the RTE's of this World,and it shows on a daily basis.

You may see it as bashing,I prefer to view it as seeking balance,even if that may be asking a lot from the "respectable" media ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Just because one person says something, it does not follow that everyone in that profession feels the same way. I have a very good friend who is a College Lecturer at a university in Ireland and she (as well as all of her colleagues) can’t wait to get back to campus as they have found online teaching to be a horrible experience for them as well as the students. By the way, she earns just over 40k a year, having completed her PhD a couple of years ago and she rents an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

it is a step forward from where we are NOW Graham, my point was we could eat indoors last year without vaccines. The vaccine was sold as our ticket to normality, but now if you are fully vaccinated you've still to sit apart, wear masks etc. Same at the Pilot concert the antigen test should be something to allow increase the normality, not just go ahead with the masks/pods anyway.

If the fully vacinnated are to sit 2 metres apart and wear masks when leave table at what point do they anticipate a normal pub/disco bar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭rogber

Does anyone know what the guidelines are on confirmations due to take place at end of August in terms of who can attend? Still only parents and sponsor or wider family as well?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭brickster69

Things is we only have India to go off regarding the time frame of the wave.

Mar 12 It started

May 6 Peak

June 22 Back down

So roughly 7 weeks going up and 7 weeks coming back down, obviously nothing set in stone or it will be anything as bad as India was.

All roads lead to Rome.

Yes,a sizeable proportion,but not all.

You will most likely see the younger,more committed Lecturer being prepared to take the HUGE risk of going face to face with other humans,whilst the more experienced and worldly wise Lecturer will see it as perhaps allowing them more time for their....extraneous projects ?

No real answer from the "Authorities" I suspect except to keep paying the Salaries....on the other hand,the Aviation sector has some experience of how to motivate such groups...even if they were Yanks...https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/08/06/Another-500-striking-air-traffic-controllers-made-the-gut/9108365918400/ 😃

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Far more vaccines in Ireland than India hopefully makes a difference

Whatever about Ms Lovejoy's statements,I must have missed Mr O'Leary's attack on the elderly,any chance of a refresh on his Press Release ?😉

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

That's in Croke Park which has an 82,000 capacity. Its not 18,000 in McHale Park or Pearse Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yep, I was wrong about that.

It may, in your opinion, be worse...but it doesn't change the fact that indoor hospitality will be open when numerous posters predicted that it wouldn't be.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭giveitholly

In an 82500 capacity stadium,yet only 500 allowed in a stadium that can roughly hold 40000.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep madness

and nobody has the guts to come out and explain why capacity has been cut ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Long COVID can't really be avoided by those who get it and while you can sympathise with them not sure how that would influence any government policy. Breakthrough infections do happen anyway but just means in that individual case. It doesn't necessarily mean a new variant but it might hasten the use of boosters in some cases.

Advertisement