Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier F

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

Thanks for discussing in good faith, I had you wrong.and thought you were another of the cohort of posters attempting to derail a thread promoting justice for the innocent victims of BM and BS by mentioning the IRA, and /or lessening the murders carried out by the British state under the guise of "justice for all".

Lance corporal at the time...promoted twice,retired in 1988

The gun used by either soldier F or soldier G (those responsible for majority of carnage) Both guns were listed as destroyed inhouse,but one was recovered after a gun battle with rebels in sierra leone in 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭indioblack

As you point out, this was happening here. In what is effectively part of the UK. A criticism often used is, would this have happened in any other part of the UK? No. It's disputed land and, though under British jurisdiction, it's Ireland - and therefore different. Certainly Westminster would have been aware of the US and Europeans watching events unfold - though I can think of two former European colonial powers who might see similarities to their own colonial history.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cleary? I will never not be weirded out by Irish names that pop up in such a fashion.

It's not possible to avoid the background to the events of that day - yet it need not dominate the conclusion of the inquiry. The thread concerned soldier F - an individual. The killings were caused by him and others within a unit that was not supposed to be where it was - and that was basically out of control. I objected to the charge that the army was sent there specifically to commit murder, or comparisons to German Nazis. There is sufficient in the events of Bloody Sunday to warrant criticism.

Put simply, when an army is used within it's own territory it's a sign of political failure. Also, though it's contentious, some people in these years got away with murder - which I suspect is why it's been raised in this thread. Nevertheless, thanks for your post.

• Advertisement

Regarding Para’s being sent to kill - the British Parachute Regiment were and are the elite offensive force in the British army.

That’s the “marketing talk”; in plain English, it means Para’s are trained and honed to be the best and most brutal killers. Only people with a propensity for this are allowed in - killing and violence is their number one job.

If a government sends them somewhere (such as to a peaceful civil right protest, or into a housing estate in Belfast), they aren’t sending them to act as armed police. They already have armed police for that. They already have countless other regiments in less offensive sections of the army to do that if pushed.

To add to this, that battalion were put onto the streets in Derry having already committed a massacre in Ballymurphy. They shot indiscriminately into groups of people, killed elderly people, women, priests, shot people in the back, people who were already on the ground, performed mock executions, and absolutely terrorized British citizens in their own neighborhood for days. This was all done in the open, was known about by the authorities, and ignored.

If these were “rogue soldiers”, why would that same battalion then have been put onto the streets of Derry a couple of months later during a peaceful protest, why are there a recording requesting kills?

If the British government did not send them to kill, why have they covered this up for 50 years, refuse to release documents and try to change the fundamental laws of its country so that a trial is never carried out?

It’s not to protect “Soldier F” or “soldier G”, or any of the Para’s.

If army veterans mattered that much to the British Government they would  be seeking justice for the murdered British Army veteran and veteran’s relatives in Ballymurphy – but no, instead they were called IRA bombers, slandered and vilified in death, and their families ignored.

The only deduction one can take from this blatant hypocrisy is that people further up the food chain are being protected. And what do they need to protected for if this was the actions of “rogue soldiers”?

You've raised some awkward points - not sure if my limited knowledge can answer satisfactorily. I'll have a go.

The comment about the army that caused my response was that the army had been sent there to commit murder. I took this literally and raised my objection. The army. All of it? Part of it? If all encompassing remarks are made for dramatic effect it should get a response. Why? Because words are effectively all we have on this platform to express a point of view - especially concerning subjects like this. So I'd want a certain amount of precision and qualification. Usually the reply is, "Everyone knows what is really meant." If so, then why not say it in the first place?

The Parachute Regiment. Recently read an account from a former soldier who had a tour of duty at this time. His description of their actions mostly matched those of the Inquiry - why were they used there, why were orders disobeyed, the loss of control. Significantly, why were they placed in a location they were unfamiliar with. I can't answer why they were in the six counties in the first place. Worth considering is that there was no benefit to the British to the kind of force used on that day.

You know my opinion regarding the people killed that day. I would point out, though, that it was not an entirely peaceful protest. There was violence within it and violence preceding it. This is part of the backdrop to what happened - it doesn't dismiss the findings of the Inquiry.

Without scrolling back , I believe my comment was that the British government sent the army onto the streets of Derry. This is 100% factual. BA soldiers were on the streets and killed unarmed civilians, hence the army was on the streets.

I don’t believe anyone would read that and think that the British government somehow pulled all of their soldiers out of all of their domestic and territorial bases, landed them in Derry in 1972 and set them all to kill. Not sure how you thought I could have meant that?

But it goes without saying if they were rogue soldiers and it could be explained away that easily, they would be prosecuted. The British government doesn’t seem to care if it’s veterans are murdered in cold blood, that is plain to see, so why would it care if they are imprisoned, unless the ramifications strike to something much deeper? Why would a “rogue soldier” be promoted multiple times after the event, as Soldier F was? Why would Mike Jackson, who was there at Ballymurphy and covered it up, promoted to head of the British Army? If he facilitated rogue soldiers murdering British citizens, surely that would disbar him from the army, never mind it's highest position.

I don’t believe for a second that the most murderous squad in the British army were sent to Derry, having already committed a massacre of innocents in Ballymurphy, without objectives to kill. It makes absolutely no sense to have them there otherwise. and the subsequent promotion of belligerents, and cover up, smearing campaign, law changes make no sense.

I would agree with hindsight that there that kill objectives in Derry have not benefited the British. It gave rise to the provisional IRA and forty plus years of bombs, deaths and troubles. But the British have shown time and again in Ireland that this is how they react. The killing of 1916 leaders, the Black and Tans, Auxiliaries, destruction of cork, Bloody Sunday 1 etc, hardened the majority of the populace against Britain and led to the ROI gaining independence, but those events still happened. Time and again this is how they have reacted in Ireland and I have no reason to believe the deployment of the Parachute regiment is any different.

The charge was that "The British" sent them there to murder people.

If those responsible for the deaths that day were "the most murderous squad in the British army" can it be conjectured that there were other slightly less murderous units in that army?

It could be that there were some within that unit who wished to kill, or were even encouraged to do so. I can't say with certainty, only speculate. From memory, the Inquiry suggests not. It may be worth repeating - soldiers chosen and trained to aggression, inappropriately used, placed in an unfamiliar location, a disregarding of commands, loss of control - and yes, some who were willing to take advantage of the ensuing situation.

You claim it was with hindsight that the British became aware of the negative response that would be the result of "kill objectives".

That would require a systemic attitude to Catholics/nationalists. In fairness I can't rule that out in this period.

But. What would be the benefit of these killings to the British? To suggest that in this period the British were unaware, or incapable of considering, the probable response to these deaths - worse, to actively desire them is illogical.

1.) Britain have murdered in cold blood countless times on this island and it has not done them well (thus, not at all illogical to conclude this as a case of history repeating itself)

2.) They sent the parachute regiment, an elite squad of killers to Northern Ireland (clear expectation of offensive military action against what were peaceful protesters)

3.) the 1st batallion of the parachute regiment murdered 11 innocent British civilians in Ballymurphy, and knowing this, were STILL deployed to Derry (rogue soldier theory out the window)

4.) that there is a recording that the battalion should get some kills

5.) that the BM and BS killings were covered up. That those killed were described as IRA bombers. Their families described as combatants and sympathisers for 30 years. (rogue soldier theory out the window)

6.) after these events, solider f was not discharged and arrested, but promoted twice (rogue soldier theory out the window)

7.) Mike Jackson, who took part in the mass killings at Ballymurphy was not discharged, but eventually promoted to the HEAD of the British army (rogue soldier theory booted out the window, once and for all)

8.) British gov are attempting to change one of the fundamental laws of the civilized world, aka murder of innocents as a prosecutable offence, either a.) to protect soldier f (rogue soldier theory, where is that gone? ).

Or b) to protect veterans - wait though veterans were murdered by soldier f

(protection of veterans theory out the window)

... Ignore all that, and argue instead that the language I use is not up to some made up, pie in the sky, ridiculous standards that you would prefer, that conveniently attributes less blame to the British state, and eradicates most of the series of events I have had to pain stakingly repeat, and render them what - coincidences? Irrelevances?

And your other points - how does deploying soldiers in places they aren't familiar with (and other such excuses you mentioned) explain in any way why they would shoot and kill unarmed civilians in the back, those lying wounded on the ground, priests giving last rights to dying men, mothers going about their day. Why would it explain them performing a mock execution on a vulnerable man, causing him a fatal heart attack?

Does the violence you mentioned in a previous post, aka throwing stones, as happened in Derry, in any way excuse or explain it?

You should be looking less at my semantics and more at the unrealistic excuses you are putting forward for what was carried out by soldier f, his fellow soldiers, and by numerous British governments ever since. 

• Advertisement

My post history in this thread contradicts a claim of attempting to offer excuses. I have stated clearly that the people killed posed no threat to those that shot them. Anything I've considered less relevant to the events of that day I've either objected to or ignored. If you object to any inclusion of background or context perhaps you should consider objecting to The Saville Report - there's masses of it in there.

If your objections carry any weight, then that effectively renders most of what's been debated in this thread redundant.

Apologies but in some of your posts what you deem as “context” I see to be excuses.

Context is when one lists circumstances that set the scene so that events can be understood.

Example - mentioning a small number of civilians throwing stones at soldiers is not offering context for them being slaughtered in cold blood i.e. a few civilians throwing stones doesn’t make them being gunned down, in the manner I mentioned above, understandable.

In my posts, I have tried to offer facts, and provide context on what seems (to me) to be plain as day, that these killings were deliberate and planned and not the actions of rogue soldiers. Even still Soldier F should absolutely be prosecuted under the full weight of the law as, orders or not, his acts were still illegal. I just think the prosecutions should go much further.

I am not writing a legal document or inquiry as Saville was, I’m deriving a cohesive narrative based on facts.

Saville reached his own conclusions on this over many years. Personally, some of them I agree with and some I don’t.

A good reply. I can't object to most of your post. We basically agree regarding soldier F and those with him on that day. As for responsibility by those authorities further up, I'd only end up supplying Saville's conclusion - which you presumably would not agree with.

In respect of that matter we can agree to disagree - and await whatever emerges in the future. I accepted Widgery when it came out - until it soon became unsustainable.

Advertisement