Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

annual leave being canceled

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You’re admitting on a public forum that if an employee knows their employment rights you’ve performance managed (set them up to fail) out the door.

And you call the OP a dick for their troubles.

Wow.

It’s how you apply yourself in any situation that counts. Nobody gets managed out for knowing their rights, knowing your rights is very important. But how you interact is really important. Even within your rights you can handle things right or wrong.

Don’t be a fool and think you can act like a dick towards your employer and there not be implications down the line.

It can he allot more subtle than being managed out, promotions, project work, working abroad opportunities, someone has to decide who does and doesn’t get these things.

Same goes for HR, people think HR are some kind of independent body there to protect employees from the big bad company. Often I’d have sat with HR prior to disciplinary meetings to plan what outcome we would want and how best it was achieved.

I’ve left that life behind now and I’m mostly not as hard nosed as I once was, but I see so many people shooting off their mouths thinking there’s no fallout possible. Management strategies in large companies, particularly multinationals is fierce behind the scenes. Employees who make life hard are identified and often this has implications down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s how you apply yourself in any situation that counts. Nobody gets managed out for knowing their rights, knowing your rights is very important. But how you interact is really important. Even within your rights you can handle things right or wrong.

Don’t be a fool and think you can act like a dick towards your employer and there not be implications down the line.

It can he allot more subtle than being managed out, promotions, project work, working abroad opportunities, someone has to decide who does and doesn’t get these things.

Same goes for HR, people think HR are some kind of independent body there to protect employees from the big bad company. Often I’d have sat with HR prior to disciplinary meetings to plan what outcome we would want and how best it was achieved.

I’ve left that life behind now and I’m mostly not as hard nosed as I once was, but I see so many people shooting off their mouths thinking there’s no fallout possible. Management strategies in large companies, particularly multinationals is fierce behind the scenes. Employees who make life hard are identified and often this has implications down the line.

Reading a couple of posters here I'm glad to have worked in the companies I did who treat their employees as human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

No need to be an arsehole about it, but it's definitely worth knowing your rights and standing up for them. A polite "Sorry, but I'm afraid I can't change my plans at this stage" is perfectly reasonable, and if the employer had pushed back, a polite follow-up citing the applicable law would hardly have been "acting like a dick".
    givyjoe wrote: »
    Isn't this 'case closed'..?! The OP may have edited an earlier post, but they stated there was a 'mistake', they are free to go on their holidays.

Anonymous posts have to be approved by mods before they're visible, so even though they eventually appear in the thread at the time they were originally submitted, they might not actually have been visible until long after that time. Didn't see the anonymous OP's response up there about getting the matter sorted until the conversation below it was already well along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

_Brian wrote: »
    That poster is 100% correct.
    I’ve worked in a number of companies Amy supervisor and manager level amd an employee displaying that attitude would be watched tight, I’ve been instructed on a few occasions to manage such employees out the door, and in some instances I’ve done it too.

I smile to myself when people give the advice to go back to your employer and the first approach being to act like a dick, do you seriously think that doing that doesn’t have implications down the line ?? Yes the employer was wrong in this instance either by mistake or not, but acting like a dick in return just further degrades the relationship and that a bad move, if I make a mistake I want someone to come back and point it out discreetly, we all make mistakes, and when an employee comes back at me acting like an asshole, I remember that down the line.

This is despicable, wouldn't be posting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mimon wrote: »

Why not ??
    Would you rather pretend this didn’t happen ??

I see advice all the time here sending people with queries back to their employers to act like a dick to their employer.
    I’m merely confirming that doing this will have implications and in some companies if you repeatedly do this the consequences are serious.

im sure it won’t surprise you to know that sometimes employees go about skirting within company policy but being a dick towards fellow workers and managers, this doesn’t go unnoticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mimon wrote: »

Let's not be naive about what goes on.

It amazing what employer's will do to retain good employees

It is also amazing what they WON'T do to retain them. I have countless anecdotes of friends and family seeking better pay and conditions, but being refused due to finance reasons. In pretty much every case, they would get a better paying job elsewhere and hand in their notice, only for the current job to try to match the offer from the new one. One person stayed, that I know of, and they were expected to do much more than they were before the increase, and ended up leaving anyway.

Someone is either worth the money or they aren't. Judging their worth on the fact that someone else is willing to pay them more and you're afraid you'll lose them is a scumbag tactic and should not be tolerated. Companies show zero loyalty to employees when it suits them, and the opposite should be true across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Someone is either worth the money or they aren't. Judging their worth on the fact that someone else is willing to pay them more and you're afraid you'll lose them is a scumbag tactic and should not be tolerated.

Companies want to minimise their labour costs to maximise their profits. As long as an employee is working for an employer at their current salary, the company often won't see any need to voluntarily pay them more just because they ask for it, as there are plenty who will ask but will just carry on and keep working anyway if their request is denied. It's not until said employee actually hands in their notice that the company knows for sure they're serious about leaving and starts freaking out. And smart employees usually won't breathe a word about their job searching or other pending offers to their employer until they actually accept one and are ready to hand in their notice, lest they're working for a company like _Brian's and find themselves "managed out" for their "disloyalty" before they've found themselves another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This is why I have never and will never accept a counter offer (though tbh I should never say never). If they're willing to pay me an extra X% to stay, they should have been paying me that already.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Employers pay you as much as they need to, they are not running a business to make you feel good. If you did not ask or make a case of a pay rise, that's on you, they are not mind readers and it is reasonable for them to assume you are happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,632 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yes employers pay as little as they can get away with. However at time the market will be ahead of that and some employers no matter how big a case you put will not budge until they are aware that they will lose an employee.

Interested observer us making the point that he will not accept a counter offer if it has got to that stage. I be inclined to agree with him in situations like that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,232 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I all my years, I personally have never heard of any one, being made a serious counter to stay.

Yes you read about it, and hear 3rd hand stories. But not directly.

The ones I've been close to the person has always left, as they've usually already made the commitment to switch in their own head.

The counter offer comes to late, and is too little and too shortsighted to make any difference.

I'd say people being head hunted is more common, and more likely to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've had one, and I stayed.

But it was a government job, and my manager couldn't get me a better offer unless I could prove I'd get more money elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭backwards_man

That's a strange view point. If anything the manager has been highlighted to HR as a complete risk asking employees to work after approving their leave. Said manager has likely been put back in their box. Further victimising the employee will be looked on very dimly by HR. All the employee needs now is one follow up incident of anything perceived to be out of line, and he has the manager for bullying and being unfairly treated. Most companies would not risk their rep on a loose canon manager that cant follow the rules. There are several ways to look at any situation.

Op the manager should have clearly explained the reason why they were asking you to accommodate, not telling you that you had to work....and left it up to you. A decent manager would have come up with an alternative plan or flagged ahead upwards that they were short cover for that day, had you said no. My guess is the manager messed up with the schedule and tried to cover it by telling you to work.

Advertisement