Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

I see no evidence of that but we do see strongly traditional views on "moral issues" in Donegal referendum results.

Do you think Aontu might step in in the next local elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am sorry that my first post on new forum is such.

this post of yours is just downright lies. I absolutely would not delete a post to cover a mistake.

it would be nice if you rectified this.

mob a positive note, it just shows you know you have lost the argument when you start telling lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

My God i couldnt listen to Sammy on NT there, the lies just keep on coming, i do think they honestly believe their own lies they have told them so often and for so long now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Just a reminder; I brought it up last time and let's generously assume you just missed it because of the site changeover.

Are you saying this wasn't a suggestion that the checks should be between Dundalk and Newry?

• Advertisement

I am feeling much more optimistic about the outcome now.

I think we are all agreed ni has been placed in a very advantageous position by unfettered access to eu and gb. A number of economists were on radio ulster yesterday talking up the position and that a number of companies are already talking to invest NI about creating bases and moving business to ni - both from Ireland and gb

the big downside is the disruption of movements within the Uk across the Irish Sea. This will clearly be dramatically reduced in the coming months (everyone one is off now to sept so late autumn)

I actually don’t think there is any need for civil disobedience and transporting hassle to Dublin - the ship is already moving and no need for a push at this time.

we in ni are going to end up in an envious position and thoughts of UI will be gone for generations.

Can you tell us anything of substance that has actually changed to create your new found confidence, Downcow?

Apart from a pretty meaningless statement from the UK government and your British courts finding against the legal challenge you put so much faith in as a potential gamechanger, I don't see much. If we follow the trend back, bloviating statements for UK public consumption by your government have tended to be followed by meekly putting the tail between the legs when they've got enough Daily Express headlines out of it.

Nothing has changed; the NI Protocol was always a fantastic opportunity for Unionism to set back Unification by huge strides......as usual though, Unionist insecurity meant ignoring that and rabbiting on about something symbolic while running the pitch in the wrong direction for another own goal.

Shhh. Let them have their victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,721 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jeffery Donaldson:

"The EU has failed to recognise the concerns of unionists and has shown zero respect for the consensus approach which has helped secure peace and stability in Northern Ireland.”

Gas man, represents a party that completely ignored 'the consensus' on Brexit which has gotten Unionists into the pickle they find themselves in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

For what it's worth, as someone who regularly disagrees with downcow, I don't read this as a suggestion that there should be checks between Dundalk and Newry. I read it, rather, as a recognition of the political and practical reality of the fact that there can't be checks between Dundalk and Newry and that, if the IRL/NI border is to be hardened, it will have to be by other measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What do you think will happen that will mean that disruption of GB>NI trade "will clearly be dramatically reduced in the coming months"? There are various steps which the UK government could take to reduce that disruption, but they have firmly set their faces against taking them and nothing that was said yesterday points to a change of heart. Instead, they have said that the EU should agree to things that the EU is wildly unlikely to agree to.

I don't really see where your confidence is coming from, to be honest. Unless you think that the command paper is just a blustery cover that signals an impending UK cave?

While myself and Downcow regularly disagree, in this instance I was genuinely asking for clarification as to whether (s)he was stating (s)he can't see checks now (implying there should be some, which is a line (s)he has taken in the past), or can't see them in the future (suggesting it is an impractical solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

downcow 8:30 am

the big downside is the disruption of movements within the Uk across the Irish Sea. This will clearly be dramatically reduced in the coming months

Nothing the British Government and Unionists are are doing is reducing disruption in trade East>West, quite the opposite. Any business worth its salt will now see East>West trade as a entirely unpredictable.

Unionists, particularly the DUP, are goading the Tories to pick a fight with the EU that they cannot win, it's remarkable to watch the level of idiocy on display from both parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Donegal isn't that different from anywhere else (compliance with the Road Traffic Acts aside!)

Would have voted to repeal the 8th if the towns in the south of the county hadn't been hived off into another constituency - only narrowly voted against as it was.

I did find the "people of faith" whinge hilarious, however. Everybody is free to practise a religion, or not, as they choose, and as it should be. What religious people can no longer do is use the law to impose their idea of "morality" on everyone else.

"When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CaoimhinCong

Has anyone got any clarity from Seamus Bryson when his dublin march is happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Careful, if they see the supermarket shelves here full of sausages it might turn their heads.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It must be tiring for those types to consistently be on the wrong side of history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I am quite happy to be on Right side of history

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Except for the whole anti-Catholic thing the unionists have

• Advertisement

Yeah. I don’t see or want checks at Dundalk (if I am really honest it wouldn’t impact me if there was or was not). When I cross the border I am under no illusions (unlike many here) that I am entering another international jurisdiction with different currency, laws, etc etc / just like going to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭briany

Dominic Cummings has said that the NI Protocol, as agreed, was a fudge designed to defer some difficult questions to a future negotiation.

"The prime minister's former chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, has told BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg that the protocol had been a "fudge".

Both sides had wanted to "sign up to something that was not what either side really wanted and which punted difficult questions into the future to figure out later", he added."

The UK government has been doing this for 3 and a half years at this point, regarding NI. Agree on a solution, and then come back later on and go, 'Actually, yeah, that doesn't work for us...'. Furthermore, his claim that the deal was mutually undesirable doesn't hold much weight, because no-one on the EU side has ever actually come out and said they wanted to renegotiate the deal. At this stage, what's the point on agreeing anything with the UK on the matter if they're just going to turn around a week later and say they don't want to stick to the deal?

Imagine doing that in your own business. You sign a contract, or you spit on the hands and shake (not so much these days with Covid but you know what I mean). If the other side of the deal is constantly coming back to you saying they want to alter the deal, at what point do you tell them (in business language) to kindly f**k off?

The UK's plan is pretty transparent. Just chip away at the NI Protocol while keeping the main trade deal. That's really been the strategy all along.

I suppose my confidence is based on my belief in humanity. I didn’t vote to leave but I am no fan of eu either

but I am inclined to trust people as my default position and believe in peoples honesty and goodness.

I can’t believe that the eu, USA and roi will continue with this nonsense while conflict breaks out in Ireland.

I don’t think there will be violent conflict as intelligence nowadays is so effective that they will already know that things are building here. They won’t let their bloodymindednest take us all down that road (I believe).

M&s said the other day that they have entire loads rejected because they have used the wrong colour font (classic eu stuff).

call it negotiations (Uk) or we’ll keep talking (eu). I don’t mind but it will be sorted.

of course there will be a protocol (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/protocol) but it will be fine when sense wins over

No I don’t see any need for additional checks at the Irish border

If I was him (and I assure you I am not lol) I would say he should postpone his idea. There is no need just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CaoimhinCong

Jamie is a self serving ego maniac in his head and his few diehards over the east he will bring with him the will be battered off the streets. Did you see his take on collusion today?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The ability to easily drive across the border is purely down to the mechanisms in the EU. Brexit was a ploy to remove the UK from these. The NIP thankfully has managed to retain these mechanisms, which is a good thing for everyone living asnd working on this island, despite the blatant lies from the DUP!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But the party you claim to support is looking for exactly this! Maybe you can explain how you overcome this paradox?

Tell me more?

I am currently an uup voter but I move around a little. I am no party’s voter

• Advertisement
Advertisement