Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VAT exemption on items under €22 from outside EU disappearing on 1 July 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

So theoretically, if I buy a tiny trinket from Alibaba for 20cent, it will be held up at customs until I pay VAT and the admin fee?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes

did a test on Aliexpress there (now being 1st of July 2021 and all) and they are now putting on VAT at checkout

like they do for say Australia

so it's effectively now a "duty-paid" model

so if VAT is paid then we won't have to pay An Post a €3.50 "admin charge" on top of this?

if the VAT is paid then surely An Post can't do that just for the sake of it an for their general hatred of Chinese-originated mail!?

I will try to ask them or does anyone know already?

quote from ali link above

https://service.aliexpress.com/page/knowledge?pageId=37&category=1000021915&knowledge=1060863305&language=en
    Q: Will I be charged again when goods deliver to my country?

A: If you have paid for order with VAT in AliExpress, VAT should not be charged again by customs/logistics provider. In case you were charged again, please keep the invoice and submit it to customer service team to get refund of it. Please note administration fee pay to logistics provider cannot be refunded in this case.

I've posted this query through the An Post contact form
    Hello,

With reference to the €22 euro limit for VAT exemption expiring on July 1 2021 if an online retailer from outside the EU is now operating a "duty paid" model where the Irish VAT and / or other duty is paid to them at the point-of-sale for passing on to the Irish Exchequer then this item should NOT be subject to any other charges such as administration charges etc before delivery in Ireland

is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Just bought an item off aliexpress and got charged tax. The little icon beside it explained that it was due to me European import tax..

kingstevii wrote: »
    Just bought an item off aliexpress and got charged tax. The little icon beside it explained that it was due to me European import tax..

The interesting thing will be if an post hit you with
    3.50 admin charge before delivery.

glasso wrote: »
    The interesting thing will be if an post hit you with
    3.50 admin charge before delivery.

I'll report back in about 3 months! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Surely there won’t be the admin charge of the vat is prepaid, what would an post be charging for

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Surely there won’t be the admin charge of the vat is prepaid, what would an post be charging for

"checking" that the VAT is cleared.

An Post despise and have admitted that they delay the stuff from China.

what's stopping them doing this - hopefully they won't...

how will something say from Aliexpress be signalled as "VAT paid"

also as the Aliexpress FAQ says they are only covering VAT so Duty could still be liable (on something over €150)

• Advertisement

Anyone actually get anything from amazon today?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Anyone actually get anything from amazon today?

yes. got some items that I ordered through prime before the VAT changed.

no issue.

nothing has changed wrt Amazon UK except for paying VAT on items under 22 euro equivalent

Thank god for that :) have a few packages coming I ordered pre change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Yeah I got two Amazon orders today that I made Monday. No problems thank God.

Now I just need to figure out if zavvi is still safe

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

I'm still procrastinating with ordering from Etsy. The search thingy is bad and mostly suggest stuff from the UK so to me it seems most of the stuff I want is there. I tried putting a couple of items in the basket that show to be around €20 in total with shipping costs being €4.25 and it gives me "tax" of €5.57 in addition to those. Now, would there be some sort of additional duty to pay, I don't know. I could try asking the seller but I doubt they'd know. All I want is to get the item from the seller to my door without a hassle, willing to pay duties and taxes as long as it's simple to do. But I feel uneasy ordering since I have no clue whether there's some additional hoops to jump through before I can get my parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm still getting deliveries ordered before 1st July & no issues with the vat. Revenue seems to be taking the sensible approach on this one by giving a few days /weeks grace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'm still procrastinating with ordering from Etsy. The search thingy is bad and mostly suggest stuff from the UK so to me it seems most of the stuff I want is there. I tried putting a couple of items in the basket that show to be around €20 in total with shipping costs being €4.25 and it gives me "tax" of €5.57 in addition to those. Now, would there be some sort of additional duty to pay, I don't know. I could try asking the seller but I doubt they'd know. All I want is to get the item from the seller to my door without a hassle, willing to pay duties and taxes as long as it's simple to do. But I feel uneasy ordering since I have no clue whether there's some additional hoops to jump through before I can get my parcel.

That equates to the 23% vat.

Unlikely to be duty unless the item is made in China and is dutiable. If its made in the UK, then there's no duty as a duty exempted agreement is in force on UK originating goods.

As the vat works out as 23%, its obvious etsy has a system similar to amazon and taxes are calculated and item delivered with no hassles

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

I just received an item from AliExpress upon which I paid 23% VAT at the checkout.

There was nothing on the package (that I could spot) to indicate that VAT was paid.

Nonetheless the package was delivered by anPost without hindrance.

The question is .... was this package delivered as part of the amnesty for purchases made prior to 1/7

or did I miss something on the package indicating vat-pre-payment.

probably not possible to say at this point - they "An Post" could be allowing the month of July as a "grace period"

but hopefully the whole point of paying the VAT on Ali is to avoid extra charges....

• Advertisement

I've been paying vat on some aliexpress items. Today a package arrived and in it was five separate aliexpress orders I made over a month. They must be getting sent to a warehouse and batched together?

well if they all arrived together in one package must have been aggregated somewhere along the line alright. haven't seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shaneos

I ordered something from Ali and paid VAT (~10 euro total). I got an email and text from An Post stating that I have to pay VAT again plus their admin charge. Is there a way to appeal this to An Post?

Ali has a way to print off a statement showing that VAT has been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Interesting I ordered an audio cable from Ali Express on the 9th of July as others have mentioned the vat was added on to the price at checkout and it is currently sitting with a status of Customs clearance started on the 20th of July, so I want to see if I do get additional charges from An Post

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Got vat demands for two small orders that I already pre paid the vat on. I'm assuming that even if I manage to get the vat refunded they're not going to give me back the processing fee which makes up most of the charges.

I'll still stand my ground to get the vat back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

How did they inform you of the VAT demands? Did postman ask you or did you get a notice in the post? Good plan to claim back the vat, I think the expect lots of Ali express customers won't be bothered

seems horsesh1t that prepaying vat results in An Post charging €3 anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Guys can someone please confirm what is going on here. Got something on Aliexpress for €16 quid. The extra tax was paid trough Aliexpress as per the new agreement.

Today got the txt from Anpost, that parcel has arrived but I need to collect and pay the customs charge?? What is the catch here, or more importantly why are paying extra tax via Aliexpress when Anpost try to double charge ?

thanks

• Advertisement

nobody knows what is going on right now but seems logical that that An Post can't (or won't to get the €3.50?) id the package as one that has prepaid VAT.

Aliexpress is a marketplace for sellers so the sellers are mostly sending the items.

Advertisement