Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Jernal wrote: »
    And here you go. Recognise the thread?:D
    It would appear it's not a laser shrimp at all but that's how I remembered it so kudos to Gbear for the sensationalism.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    May I present turritopsis nutricula aka the Immortal Jellyfish.

Yeah that jellyfish is fairly f1ckin cool. Just spent the last few mins typing a response (which I accidentally deleted due to unworkable fingers, grrr.) to the shrimp problem. ie. that they both have numbers measured in kelvin in their wikipedia entries and are called "similar". How do we know which is best? :eek: Calling on mathematicians everywhere.........??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

And that was my one.:p
    Another fantastic user here pointed out that it's not immortal though
    recedite wrote: »
    More neoteny than immortality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'll see your shrimp and raise you any encysting bacteria. They literally freeze-dry themselves until growth conditions are favourable again, and they're near impossible to kill until then. Seriously the amount of radiation you need to reliably kill them is more than enough to wipe out a country or two.

Sarky wrote: »
    I'll see your shrimp and raise you any encysting bacteria. They literally freeze-dry themselves until growth conditions are favourable again, and they're near impossible to kill until then. Seriously the amount of radiation you need to reliably kill them is more than enough to wipe out a country or two.

Linky!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pah, encysting bacteria. Here's an animal that can survive in spaaaaaaace

Water bears
    Tardigrades can withstand temperatures from just above absolute zero to well above the boiling point of water. They can survive pressures greater than any found in the deepest ocean trenches and have lived through the vacuum of outer space. They can survive solar radiation, gamma radiation, ionic radiation— at doses hundreds of times higher than would kill a person. They can go without food or water for nearly 10 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.

Aaah aren't they cute.

220px-Waterbear.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Linky!:p

GOD WHY CAN'T YOU JUST HAVE AN OPEN MIND ABOUT IT

GOD WHY CAN'T YOU JUST HAVE AN OPEN MIND ABOUT IT

i) I'm not God, that'd be Rob.
    ii) Because a wise man once told us that keeping an open mind is a good thing as long as you don't let your brain fall out in the process.

Fine, be that way. But happy are those who have not seen, and yet believe. :pac:

To be fully accurate, I meant endospore-forming bacteria. Although bacterial cysts are tough, endospores are the daddies of badass survival. You can kill them with bleach, but you need to drown them for over 5 minutes, and if the bleach is too strong you'll actually help them survive, too weak and they won't feel it. They can be boiled for hours without dying*. Researchers have found spores that are about 40 million years old, still ready to bounce back, and really, really resistant to radiation.

*This is why autoclaves were invented. A combination of heat and high pressure is surprisingly effective. Still not 100% though. Even the most sterile equipment is really just highly unlikely to have any surviving cells/spores on it. And even then bits of dead cell can cause an immune response and kill someone.

Fine, be that way. But happy are those who have not seen, and yet believe. :pac:
    "Get in the f*cking sack!:pac:"
    From the same source :

To be fully accurate, I meant endospore-forming bacteria. Although bacterial cysts are tough, endospores are the daddies of badass survival. You can kill them with bleach, but you need to drown them for over 5 minutes, and if the bleach is too strong you'll actually help them survive, too weak and they won't feel it. They can be boiled for hours without dying*. Researchers have found spores that are about 40 million years old, still ready to bounce back, and really, really resistant to radiation.

*This is why autoclaves were invented. A combination of heat and high pressure is surprisingly effective. Still not 100% though. Even the most sterile equipment is really just highly unlikely to have any surviving cells/spores on it. And even then bits of dead cell can cause an immune response and kill someone.

Aww man Microbiology looks awesome.
    *Starts browsing for a free introductory course.*

It certainly makes you think about the process of life in new and interesting ways. And causes you to feel unreasoning fury at people who try to market some as good and some as bad when they're really just in the wrong place.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Pah, encysting bacteria. Here's an animal that can survive in spaaaaaaace

Water bears

Aaah aren't they cute.

220px-Waterbear.jpg

Aww, and they're called moss piglets as well! Can't get cuter than that :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Obliq wrote: »
    Aww, and they're called moss piglets as well! Can't get cuter than that :p

It has to be awesome and cute :eek:.

That blasted jellyfish is never going to get points for cuteness. :mad:

It has to be awesome and cute :eek:.

That blasted jellyfish is never going to get points for cuteness. :mad:

I dunno, the jellyfish is ultra awesome but it's well out-cuted by the tiny wee cratur. I'm going to have to make a sculpture out of it. A BIG waterbear moss piglet.

AWWR!
    Echiniscus_L.png

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Check this stuff out, Carbon Aerogel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22079592

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/lightest-material-earth-carbon-aerogel_n_2980978.html

Chinese scientists have created the world’s lightest substance -- a material so insubstantial it can perch on the petals of a delicate flower without crushing them (see photo above).

A cubic centimeter of the record-setting stuff, carbon aerogel, has a mass of only 0.16 milligram, according to a new study by scientists at Zhejiang University. That’s 12 percent lighter than an equal volume of the previous record-holder, a substance known as aerographite.

Having trouble getting a handle just how light this new stuff really is? If the average human body were made entirely of carbon aerogel instead of flesh and bone, it would weigh only 1/40th of a pound!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

As all of you Western Running-Dog Imperialist Lackeys know, Google Earth is a tool for our glorious spy agencies, many of which are christian.

So, Iran has announced plans to create an "Islamic Google Earth":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/10/iran-plans-islamic-google-earth

Local media claims that Mohammad Hassan Nami, the senior politician who announced the plan, studied something called "political geography" in Iran and graduated with a PhD in "country management" from Kim Il-sung University in North Korea.

robindch wrote: »
    As all of you Western Running-Dog Imperialist Lackeys know, Google Earth is a tool for our glorious spy agencies, many of which are christian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/10/iran-plans-islamic-google-earth

Local media claims that Mohammad Hassan Nami, the senior politician who announced the plan, studied something called "political geography" in Iran and graduated with a PhD in "country management" from Kim Il-sung University in North Korea.

In other news Apple announce they have found a sucker buyer for Apple Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »

So, will there be a funny looking dark Opel driving along, photographing everything in sight and slurpin' wifi, at a place near you, real soon now? :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Well now look at that, babies born with 3 bio parents,
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-43767/Worlds-GM-babies-born.html

Morag wrote: »

I've got kitten blocker in effect. You wouldn't by any chance have any other links?:)

• Advertisement

For the day that's in it.
    [latex]e^{i\pi}= -1[/latex]

Love the Google Doodle.

Bet you didn't know that "knowing things" is a form of fascism? Neither did Robin Ince:

http://robinince.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/the-fascism-of-knowing-stuff/
    Robin Ince wrote:
    Last weekend I spent some of my time drinking beer and talking to Sir Peter Blake about Kendo Nagasaki. This weekend I spent an hour biting into a pen like a shire horse as my brain failed to comprehend a journalist I was sitting next to. I was at QEDcon, on a panel entrusted with the subject "Is Science the New Religion?"

It is the sort of title popular with media folk, like "is comedy the new rock and roll?" or "is knitting the new psoriasis?"

The answer to "is science the new religion?" is obviously yes, so long as you redefine religion as "a self-correcting, evidence based system of exploring the universe which attempts to unearth the least wrong laws and theories that can explain what exists or might exist whilst accepting that room must always be left for doubt and further enquiry".

We went off topic pretty soon when the journalist explained that politicians, crippled by uncertainty, were now led by behind the scenes scientists. Whether true or not, the actual evidence offered seemed scant. Something about secondhand smoking and something else about education policy. From my view it seemed that the most that was actually being offered was the idea that MPs might cherry pick data to justify the policies they wished to put into place. This seemed very different to the notion that a muscular cabal of scientists are leading the nation into a dictatorship of evidence under the heavy hand of advanced critical thinking. I won't dwell on my disagreements with the journalist's position, hopefully a recording will be available soon and you can make your own judgements and throw a virtual egg or tomato at me via the means of futuristic communication.

Though I spent much of time either startle-eyed or furiously furrowed, as if an invisible Duchenne was experimenting on my face, there was one opinion expressed that continues to haunt me. There is a gaggle that seems to consider that expertise is an unfair advantage, that all opinions are equal; an idea that people who are experts in climate change, drugs or engineering are given unfair preference just because they spend much of their life studying these things. I do not think it is fascism that heart surgeons seem to have the monopoly of placing hands in a chest cavity and fiddling with an aorta. Though I have my own opinions on driving, I have decided to let others do it, as I have never taken a lesson. I do not consider myself oppressed by the driving majority. I own an umbrella and a thermometer, but I do not believe this is enough to place me on a climate change advisory body.

I attempted to explain to the journalist that the world we live in has never been more complex or filled with things that require work and patience to understand. Though democracy lovers may shiver at the idea, the penalty for living in the civilisation we currently walk through is that we must sometimes accept our ignorance and defer to others. We can hope that they might be trusted, that the heart surgeon is sober and the climate scientists isn't swayed by the desire for fame on the front cover of Vanity Fair kissing a Polar Bear.

The journalist suggested this was the kind of fascistic thinking that held up women's suffrage and the education of the poor. My belief that we are not always equipped to make the best decisions is apparently the alibi that has always been used by people like me who wish to oppress "the common man". I believe that people should be given as many tools as possible to understand as many complexities of the world as possible, to be armed with knowledge. As William H Calvin wrote, "knowledge is a vaccine".

But to blithely suggest that that the world is not complex, that expertise is not only not required but a form of oppression, seems to be a position that can only be taken if you are blinkered when progressing through 21st century society. Go back one hundred years and I believe that pretty much any tool or device in your house could be repaired by you with a little ingenuity and swearing. Look at what you have around you now. Look at the device you are reading this on or your television or mobile phone or digital radio, when they cease to function correctly I wonder how many of you would confidently turn to your toolbox, uncover the technology within and effectively repair it. When I picked up the journalist's ipad, something which seemed to alarm him as if I was a Hyde-ish brute (and I almost was) and declared "mend this", no answer came forth. Go back a couple of hundred years and there was something closer to a democracy of experts, the downside of this was that medical people couldn't cure you, the streets had considerably more human excrement in them and life was often cold and short. The price of technology, comfort and hopefully greater understanding of the universe and our place in it is an acceptance that we may not know best in all events and common sense, a hammer and a bag of leeches may not get you through it all.

We should not trust people just because they are experts, but if we are not prepared to put the time and effort in to understand something, to take a step beyond that column we read in The Guardian or "what my friend Phil told me", then we are placed in a position where must defer and try and make the best decision we can as to who we should defer to. If you are really interested in an issue, then you must take time to read and investigate it, to learn how to ask the best questions, to interrogate with interest, open-mindedness and rigour. A good society, a healthy democracy, is not based on complacency and whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

This morning's Start the Week on Radio 4 (listen here) has Steve Jones talking about his new book 'The Serpent's Promise' in which he revisits questions posed in the Bible in the light of modern science. Also taking part are Adam Rutherford, who has a book on the origins of life and the future of genetic engineering, and Barbara Sahakian talking about smart drugs.

Steve introduces his book here:

I've not yet got hold of a copy, but will put that right soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Was it any chance that "journalist" that was talking sh!te came from Castlerea? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Deep in Siberia's Taiga forest is Vissarion, a cult leader who looks like Jesus and claims to be the voice of God. He's known as "the Teacher" to his 4,000 followers, who initially seem surprisingly normal. Over time, however, their unflinching belief in UFOs and the Earth's imminent demise made this group start to look more and more like some sort of strange cult.

While perusing d'interweb I came upon this lot:

Project Steve.

A group of anti-creationist scientists who all have 'Steve' or recognised cognates such as Stephanie, Esteban, Istvan, Stefano, or even Tapani — the Finnish equivalent) as their first name.

Their 1000th 'Steve' was Steve Darwin, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology and director of the herbarium at Tulane University.

http://ncse.com/news/2009/02/project-steve-n-1000-004625

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Morag wrote: »
    Cohen and his colleagues diagnosed that the women were infertile because they had defects in tiny structures in their egg cells, called mitochondria.
    So these kids have two types of mitochondrial DNA. I could be wrong, but I think future (naturally conceived) generations will only arise from gametes containing the "fertile type". In effect then, the doctor has "cured" the family of a genetic ailment, which would otherwise have caused the family to become extinct!
    Interesting that this happened in 2001 but wasn't widely publicised back then. I'd be surprised if some other genetic modifications haven't been tried since then by somebody, somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Deep in Siberia's Taiga forest is Vissarion, a cult leader who looks like Jesus and claims to be the voice of God.

Looks a lot more Serbian than Palestinian to me :confused: :pac:

The F-1 engine which powered the moonshots was initially designed on paper, but subsequently heavily modified and the final designs were never recorded.

Here's the story of how the design of the F-1 was reverse engineered:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/04/how-nasa-brought-the-monstrous-f-1-moon-rocket-back-to-life/

• Advertisement

And an intriguing paper on arXiv:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.3381

The fossil record indicates that applying Moore's law to the complexity of DNA suggests that it's been doubling something like every 380m years, with a start-point 9.7b years ago.

This is billions of years before the sun was formed, implying that not only are we made from star-stuff, but our ancestors were living there too.

How insanely neat is that?

Advertisement