Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respecting a belief because it is based on religion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    I always thought you were pretty cuddly actually.

By your standards I probably am. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Jernal wrote: »
    OMG!
    He's awake!
    Progress!

Being the grumpy serious mod I am you've also earned yourself a card.

'Father forgive them for they know not what they do'

Luke 23: 34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

"Oh, for goodness sakes, get down off that crucifix. Someone needs the wood. "

Felicia, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I prefer Ezekiel 23:19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Or Ezekiel 29:17, as quoteth by our Lord and Saviour Jules of Inglewood?

• Advertisement

Thanks,

It's always easier to ban someone when I know they forgive me. Enjoy your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

No, but I was born in a stable because there was no room in the inn.
    pauldla wrote: »
    "Oh, for goodness sakes, get down off that crucifix. Someone needs the wood. "

Felicia, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

I like that quote. ..

And chop it up, make a fire out of it to warm yourself up....

Heard that ending somewhere else. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Personally I prefer Pratchett 37:229:18-28
    I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs, a very endearing sight, I'm sure you'll agree. And even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged onto a half submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters, who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature's wonders, gentlemen. Mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that is when I first learned about evil. It is built into the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.

The numbers relate to the book Unseen Academicals (37), page number and lines (hard back edition).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The numbers relate to the book Unseen Academicals (37), page number and lines (hard back edition).
    And that quote reminds me of this one

I often get letters, quite frequently, from people who say how they like the programmes a lot, but I never give credit to the almighty power that created nature. To which I reply and say, "Well, it's funny that the people, when they say that this is evidence of the Almighty, always quote beautiful things. They always quote orchids and hummingbirds and butterflies and roses." But I always have to think too of a little boy sitting on the banks of a river in west Africa who has a worm boring through his eyeball, turning him blind before he's five years old. And I reply and say, "Well, presumably the God you speak about created the worm as well," and now, I find that baffling to credit a merciful God with that action. And therefore it seems to me safer to show things that I know to be truth, truthful and factual, and allow people to make up their own minds about the moralities of this thing, or indeed the theology of this thing.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Atari private maternity hospital.
    I love David Attenborough so much. I love the way he speaks about nature, his respect for all living things and his gorgeous voice. I wish David Attenborough ran the world....*sighs wistfully* :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

One of nature's wonders, gentlemen. Mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that is when I first learned about evil.

Balls to that. That's not evil, it's just life.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

ninja900 wrote: »
    Balls to that. That's not evil, it's just life.

Exactly. When the theory of Evolution was launched on the world by Darwin, we hear a huge amount about the consternation about humans being descended from the apes.
    This didn't actually happen until much later when some religious nuts started losing it ... the big consternation that did happen in response to the theory was the shock and horror at the relentless brutality and unsentimentally of the animal kingdom and that mechanism as the engine of evolution at a time when 'nature' and the 'animal kingdom' was being romanticised and noble and wonderful.
    There is nothing evil about nature. It's just the way life is and how we originated.

Nature IS evil. It lets gays and straight peoples, but especially dem gays, have those dirty thoughts. There's also the murderin women who without guidance would murder dere babbies.

Nature IS evil. It lets gays and straight peoples, but especially dem gays, have those dirty thoughts. There's also the murderin women who without guidance would murder dere babbies.

But it isn't really evil, is it? Nor is it good. If you must assign it a human characteristic surely it must be indifference...?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    But it isn't really evil, is it? Nor is it good. If you must assign it a human characteristic surely it must be indifference...?

MrP

No, no you CLEARLY don't get. There was this event and since that occurred all nature pertaining to humans is inherently wrong. We need saving - and not by Superman!

No, no you CLEARLY don't get. There was this event and since that occurred all nature pertaining to humans is inherently wrong. We need saving - and not by Superman!

Ironman then?

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

MrPudding wrote: »
    Ironman then?

MrP

My money is on Wonder Woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My money is on Wonder Woman.

Lynda Carter or Adrianne Palicki?

Lynda Carter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Lynda Carter of course.

Lynda Carter, absolutely gorgeous kinda mix between Laura Birmingham and an Amazon female warrior. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Geomy wrote: »
    Lynda Carter, absolutely gorgeous kinda mix between Laura Birmingham and an Amazon female warrior. ..

Geomy, you are at risk of becoming assimilated... :)

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

Thanks,

It's always easier to ban someone when I know they forgive me. Enjoy your holiday.

I was talking to a fella lately outside mass(as it happened it was about getting a few penalty points quashed) and he had a theory about atheists.
    He reckoned that if he needed to to get the points written off he was always better off going to a guard that had a bit of reliogion in him. He reckoned any guard that he ever came accross that had no religion would'nt give you the staeam off his piss(his exact words)anyone an opinion on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

It's the same with Revenue officials. When I call around with a bottle of whiskey to have a blind eye turned to some tax, I always look for the one with the rosary beads around her neck.

Banbh wrote: »
    It's the same with Revenue officials. When I call around with a bottle of whiskey to have a blind eye turned to some tax, I always look for the one with the rosary beads around her neck.

Oh big mistake that. No 1, never call round, No 2, never deal with a woman in matters that , shall we say, require a bit of discretion if you know what I mean.BTW your tax affairs must be harmless enough if a bottle of whiskey would sort them out, are you sure it wasn't the planning office you meant?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

WTF?
    ^^^ RealDan - After Hours is thisaway if you're after some idle chatter.

robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ RealDan - After Hours is thisaway if you're after some idle chatter.

Well robin the topic had pretty much run into the ground during my sojourn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

WTF?
    Well robin the topic had pretty much run into the ground during my sojourn.
    You can always try developing the topic instead of helping kill it off.

Or we could discuss whether religious people are more likely to be open to bribery and corruption as realdanbreen's latest contribution to the thread seems to suggest.

'Are religious people more likely to accept 'gifts' in their professional capacity as they are pre-disposed to believe that by giving 'offerings' to their God they can be granted 'forgiveness' for infractions' - Discuss.

:pac:

With all due respect, the prospect of me 'developing' a topic that starts off with the OP saying 'your a smug atheist asshole' and 'we are a product of severe inbreeding' is a bit slim to be honest. Add the fact that theres a whole pletora of atheists/agnostics out there queing up waitng to feel insulted or aggreived by any poster who disagrees with their minority view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Maybe he has a point. I mean the Catholic Church did pioneer the selling of indulgences.

Advertisement