Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Every time I come onto this thread on mobile it brings me to the post at the top of the page rather than the last post I read. With approximately 50 million posts per page, that is one massive PITA!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's sporadic for me, sometimes I get to the first unread post, other times I have to scroll down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

99+ notifications - yeah - thats really helpful.... none the wiser as to where my posts and feedback are.. I give up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah that single click dropdown is sorely missed. There is a workaround of sorts to get a list of your followed forums appearing in the Categories section - so that would be one click rather than two. 🙂

See here: https://boards.ie/discussion/comment/117641071#Comment_117641071

Edit: That link doesn't seem to be working or I've done it wrong - it should point to a post I made top of page 49. Another thing that's missed - post numbers and an easy way to link to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

@Boards.ie: Niamh

On Desktop

Post count under user name in posts is incorrect and does not tally with overall post count in users profile

Actual correct post cont from profile page (this is more accurate)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this only works on the front page.. not within forums ... (being able to read the start of posts before you click into them)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

On Desktop:

These hyperlinks have appeared in my Profile, nothing too professional about the way they were added, but they are there and are functional I guess, so it's helpful at least.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

How do you delete a post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Can't yet. Have to edit it and leave blank for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And hope nobody “reports” the blank post as Spam or Abuse.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Can someone add a link for the app,its not appearing in play store

I have had the same happen to one of my posts here as well.

I just hope the admins who moderate this forum can clear them.

Maybe there is a bit of "what does this button do" as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As i could understand, any information that you quote is directly linked to the actual post you did quote.

In the code it would read some like "whatever is in "that" post there, present in this post as quoted in such format"

Once original quoted post is deleted(censored), it is gone from your quote as well.

This way, to my humble opinion, site preserve storage space on server/database

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Seriously, is this "upgrade" it ?

I'm sure i am not the exception, my activity is a mere fraction of what it was pre "upgrade". I am losing interest in it rapidly, just can't be arsed looking for anything, followed forums are gone. Must be up there with the worse "upgrades". A pigs ear comes to mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

@The Continental Op tested this, both by editing and deleting a post of their's that I quoted. My post remained original regardless of their tweaks.

Edited to add this new content for @smuggler.ie

Post edited by pleasant Co. on

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm using Chrome. I've tried disabling ABP, Bitdefender Antitracker and relaunched Chrome to no avail.

I then opened boards.ie/categories page in Firefox and it loaded fine. However when I went and logged in, I got in return, the Something has gone wrong error page again.

So it appears to work until I log in.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Evening all,

Odhran is offline and unable to post this evening so I am posting the update instead. It will be a short one today, bigger issues are still being worked on.

We're still working on SEO and on navigation.

Getting My Forums back to how it should be is still a work in progress.

The 'Edit Profile' section on desktop has been updated to allow you to edit your password, notifications and other options, replicating the options available on mobile. Click on your profile pic (top right) then 'Edit Profile' to get here or just use this link: https://boards.ie/profile/edit

The 'currently online' stats on homepage have been hidden until we can get a live version up rather than the static numbers that were there.

Users awaiting confirmation can no longer post until they verify their email address - we were getting a few spammy posts today.

Sorry that we don't have more for you today, we will have more updates for you tomorrow.

We appreciate that using Boards for regular users at the moment is very frustrating and we are genuinely thankful for your patience and feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I might was not clear or might misunderstood the question.

It is exactly what i meant to say - if you edit your post that i have quoted above, it should change content in my post(yours quoted part)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

If you use signature and then decide to delete it, the sig separation line + some space will remain on your posts.

the only way not to see the extra line and space left behind is to hide all signatures in preferences

(Desktop)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I was wondering how to change avatar but see a new addition to profile of change picture, sadly there are no options unless I search my laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Also I actually have 6181 posts not the 5862 listed under my usename and I used to be 3 stars not one, why the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Wow...still issues. When's Boards V2.0 out? I'll come back then....

byte

Yup, seems I'm not the only one so with exact same problem. :(

Actually, I see @xtal191 has the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Can you confirm you are aware of the peril the site is in and how badly this “upgrade” has been received by your users?

The danger that this upgrade has driven users away and will attract zero new users - will you not actively consider a roll back to save the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The issue is actually pretty simple - the categories page errors when you have no followed forums. Since they weren't migrated over, most people have no followed forums.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to follow a forum on desktop[*], so you have to do it on mobile. Go to https://boards.ie/categories/topics on your mobile, then click the gear-wheel on the right-hand side of any of the forums listed, and click "follow" on the popup. Go back to the desktop, and https://boards.ie/categories will now load properly

[*]Actually, it's really easy for Boards or anyone using a custom CSS addon (e.g. Stylus) to make following forums possible on desktop, it's just a single CSS rule:

.Frame-content .HomepageTitle {
       display: block !important;
    }

Screenshot from my desktop (note the "Following button beside the forum title):

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The slightest screen touch is sending me all over the gaff now, I suddenly end up in a thread I looked at before.

The abuse and spam flags are getting ridiculous too, have people nothing better to be doing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I’ve edited my post that you quoted, the quoted text has not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That tweak worked here. Cheers!

What I really can't understand is why posters can put this stuff together rapidly and yet Boards can't do the same natively.

As I said previously, the more I see the updates the more I'm convinced the new platform just isn't designed to do what they're now trying to shoehorn into it. Either someone BADLY got the spec wrong or was taken in by a sales pitch, or the cost analysis vs maintaining the older site was the deciding factor.

Either way I expect this site to end up as customised as the old one and yet still not fit for purpose - which will in turn lead to the same support issues they had previously.. or possibly worse if Vanilla deem any larger issues as "unsupported" as a result, and if this site is now on their cloud, what happens when they make changes at a platform level or version upgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A big one that is still missing even after yesterday's downtime is "posting times". Just having the date is bananas.

• Advertisement
    byte

Haha, this worked perfectly.

I added your code into Stylus and now I can Follow on desktop, and as you said, now Categories link now works!

Thanks! :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement