Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭highdef

That's pretty incredible for Shannon alright, or any part of Ireland at that time of the night. Car was reading 17° when leaving home in North Kildare. Arrived at the office in west Dublin city about 5 minutes ago and temperature was reading 18° so not much UHI effect at play in the Dublin city area. Was actually expecting it to be warm in Dublin city but it feels like a regular mild summer night, unlike some locations further west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Valentia went up to 22*C at 3:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A fellow electro music fan!

Yes, Cercle really exposing some series, series talent lately.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cooler and cloudy. and very quiet.

The sun came up from behind the mountains and vanished behind banked clouds.

met ie say up to thirty today. Even here.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,204 ✭✭✭✭fits

Went to beach yesterday. It was 5 degrees cooler than home at 24 degrees. Absolutely glorious. Wish I could go again today. On hols from tomorrow and weather changing of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Hottest temps recorded yesterday

Mount Dillon 30.8

Newport 30.0

Shannon and mullingar 29.5

Athenry and ClareMorris 29

Good few locations at 28

Casement in Dublin, Dunsany and valentina between 27 and 27.5degrees

Amazing day!

Beautiful morning again here in D5

It got down to 13.6c here in rural Arklow Co Wicklow last night

Very pleasant, considering what some are having to try and sleep in

Currently 20c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭highdef

Well with the forecast small temperature drop that is forecast over the weekend, the temperatures at your home may well up being similar or even higher than those that you experienced at the beach yesterday so you may well end up being able to have the luxury of staying at home whilst also experiencing what seems to be perfect temperatures for you so it can't really get any better for you, weather wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Feeling a little cooler here in Firhouse D24 a little refreshing breeze and somewhat more hazy today! So glad to get a bit of relief even though I'm a massive sunshine fan! At our location I think Tuesday and not yesterday was the hottest day, 30c on our SW facing deck........ sweltering! Love the good weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It's a bit ironic but I've found myself more house-bound since last Saturday trying to avoid the extreme heat than I would have been if it was a prolonged wet spell. 🏝️🌡️🏖️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport did not drop below 20C last night so you could classify it as a tropical night as it was 22C yesterday at 09.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

Belfast Aldergrove at a ridiculous 26c at 09:50 this morning. Could be the first time that Belfast Aldergrove tops 30c.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,204 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd love if it lasted for the next 2.5 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Only regarding the national mean maxima but yesterday's value of 26.6c beat the of high 26.3c we saw on July 19th 2013, which itself beat the 26.0c that occurred on the 9th of that month. The heatwave of July 2013 had begun to wane by now though but this one looks like going on for another few days at least, though maybe in not so intense a fashion over the weekend. It won't be until Monday or Tuesday that we will be shut of it and I can't f*cking wait.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Quite an even spread of temps across the country so far, probably thanks to quite extensive haze. A lot hazier than I would have hoped for here in Dublin tbh. Some thicker cloud too moving northwards over Wicklow Mts. and over the Celtic Sea. Hopefully this breaks up and we get some nicer sunshine. A nice 23c nonetheless already is lovely for 11am.

You'd miss clear blue skies already 😋.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like Valentia may have had Ireland's first tropical night since August 2001 with the air minimum temperature dropping to only 20.5C. This is also the highest out of the few tropical nights since the record in July 1989.

It is also the first time that a synoptic station has achieved a tropical night if this is the case. The rest have been from climate stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Already 27 C at 11am over parts of Co. Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭compsys

Dublin Airport got down to a fairly cool 10.3 this morning. This is actually below average for July and was one of the coldest stations in the UK and Ireland.

The station usually posts some very cool overnight lows in calm and settled weather so I was wondering when it would happen!

Yeah, seems like the high level haze will probably limit the potential for the highest temps today. Not overly convinced it will break up

Its in a rural area in the middle of a field basically (a frost pocket too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

You sure would miss the proper blue skies! Too much haze for my liking. Hopefully some of it will burn off in the afternoon.

Sorry for being pessimistic but the outlook for next few weeks is not great. Greenland blocking on the GFS 🙄 resulting in cool westerlies perhaps. Obviously hoping this does not come to pass. Why do we always seem to have to pay for our week of hot weather in this country?! Another sh**e August is very possible 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

shush! one week scorcher is enough for any mick

we're not made for this heat😐️ with our pasty white skin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭compsys

On the flip side we 'paid' for the freezing April and May with a warm June (in the East at least) and a roasting July.

There's too much negativity on this form. Let's just enjoy the great weather we're having now, no? There's even still a few days of heatwave conditions to go sure.

Also, from my recollection, there was no blocking high or crazy 850 temps over Ireland for much of June. The synoptics were quite poor at times. And yet it was a pretty good month away from Northern and Western fringes at least. Yes it was cloudy at times, but there was barely any rain and temps got close to 20º on loads of days. August could equally be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It cracks me up how people are already moaning about August. Put away the phone and go outside and enjoy the weather that's here now ffs! No point complaining about a possibly shite august when it's sunny and high twenties out currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Belfast Airport 28.1c 12pm

Donegal Airport was 21c at 11am, 23c at 11.30 and 28c at 12. Maybe an error? Very impressive if not.

Castlederg not reporting at 12. Bad day for it to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

My husband called it that yesterday would be the best day to go gallivanting. Slightly cooler and more haze everywhere today. It would have just been our luck to pick today and hit cloud for our midlands jaunt. It’s a few degrees down today on yesterday which genuinely felt like we were on a sun holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Durrow AWS 29.2C

Nice breeze out there today. I didn’t feel like a walk yesterday but will today for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Castlederg 28.5c at 1pm. 1.1c warmer than at the same time yesterday.

• Advertisement

The main issue today is the cirrus shield. It's difficult to see on Sat24 if it's thinning to the south or not. I guess people in Dundalk, Drogheda, Dublin could maybe say if it has been thinning there. It seems to be thinning slightly on the sat animation. Could take another two hours before anything clearer comes north though which might hold us back this afternoon

Advertisement